Is Trey Lance a Jamarcus Russell level bust? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Trey Lance a Jamarcus Russell level bust?

bdizzle00

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Or will his trade to the Cowboys end up being a great thing for his career? I’m shocked the 49ers gave up on him so quickly and for so little.

Fortunately there will never be a bust like JaMarcus Russell, because the NFL changed the rookie salary structure. In those days the Raiders had to sign Russell to an outlandish Pro Bowl Vet guaranteed salary which crippled the club financially for years. Russell had no time to learn, the Raiders had no more money to build a team around him, and the fanbase turned on him.

Back then it was a curse to have a high pick. You had to pick the safest players or you got one of these crippling busts. The Bengals, Browns, Cards, and others were perennially losers because they could not afford to pay rookie QB's and pay the team around him. Limiting the salaries for rookies leveled the playing field for all the teams. Now it has gone the other way where teams like the Dolphins, are spending money that would go to a Vet QB, on primo teammates. It is called the "Seattle Model" because the Seahawks rode Russell Wilson's bargain rookie contract to the Superbowls. The Dolphins can give Tyreek money because Tua is still on his rookie deal.

The 49ers lost lots of "Draft Capital" on Lance. This bust cost more on a par with the Bears who moved up (with SF) for Trubiski who then tanked. Other notable draft capital fleecings include The Hershel Walker deal and the Tunsil deal.

Not a fair comp at all. Russell had all the chance in the world, he just wasn't ever any good. Lance has four career starts, the fourth of which he left after 3 pass attempts. He was drafted known to be a project QB and the project was left incomplete by his injury and losing his job to a guy who showed Tom Brady parallels his rookie season and earned the job for the future. And Purdy proved to be a better scheme fit, which made apparent that Lance probably wasn't drafted in the best place for him to develop as the team that brought him in asked the QB to succeed through the skills that weren't his strongsuit and that he didn't have enough time to develop.

Maybe there's a world in which Patrick Mahomes opened 2018 in a bad weather game and then got injured three throws into the next game.

Lance is another example of how the QB position is somewhat overvalued causing many to be overdrafted. Tannehill, Trubisky, Lance, Manziel, Mayfield, & Rudolph come to mind.

The media is queueing up anoint Caleb Williams & Drake Maye as the next big things.

That said, I'd venture Joe Milton & Michael Penix will be better long term prospects than the aforementioned

Fortunately there will never be a bust like JaMarcus Russell, because the NFL changed the rookie salary structure. In those days the Raiders had to sign Russell to an outlandish Pro Bowl Vet guaranteed salary which crippled the club financially for years. Russell had no time to learn, the Raiders had no more money to build a team around him, and the fanbase turned on him.

Back then it was a curse to have a high pick. You had to pick the safest players or you got one of these crippling busts. The Bengals, Browns, Cards, and others were perennially losers because they could not afford to pay rookie QB's and pay the team around him. Limiting the salaries for rookies leveled the playing field for all the teams. Now it has gone the other way where teams like the Dolphins, are spending money that would go to a Vet QB, on primo teammates. It is called the "Seattle Model" because the Seahawks rode Russell Wilson's bargain rookie contract to the Superbowls. The Dolphins can give Tyreek money because Tua is still on his rookie deal.

The 49ers lost lots of "Draft Capital" on Lance. This bust cost more on a par with the Bears who moved up (with SF) for Trubiski who then tanked. Other notable draft capital fleecings include The Hershel Walker deal and the Tunsil deal.
Ryan Leaf was monumental as well.

Throwing Tunsil’s name in their was weak. Doesn’t belong in conversation. Houston is happy to have him. Overpaying for an All-pro isn’t near comparable. Heck, you might as well started with Joey Galloway’s name.

Lance will go down as a bigger bust than Jamarcus Russell because the money is irrelevant when compared to the draft picks.

Also the players Oakland passed on wouldn’t have made a difference for them either.

Raiders needed a QB and there were zero options.

SF could’ve kept the picks and gotten Justin Fields.

Throwing Tunsil’s name in their was weak. Doesn’t belong in conversation. Houston is happy to have him. Overpaying for an All-pro isn’t near comparable. Heck, you might as well started with Joey Galloway’s name.

Lance will go down as a bigger bust than Jamarcus Russell because the money is irrelevant when compared to the draft picks.

Also the players Oakland passed on wouldn’t have made a difference for them either.

Raiders needed a QB and there were zero options.

SF could’ve kept the picks and gotten Justin Fields.
Lance has probably made as many passing plays in like 5 games as Fields has in nearly two full seasons. Fields is a terrible QB. Would have been an even more monumental disaster in SF since he's entirely deficient at getting rid of the ball to receivers on schedule and that's what SF requires.

Lance is another example of how the QB position is somewhat overvalued causing many to be overdrafted. Tannehill, Trubisky, Lance, Manziel, Mayfield, & Rudolph come to mind.

The media is queueing up anoint Caleb Williams & Drake Maye as the next big things.

That said, I'd venture Joe Milton & Michael Penix will be better long term prospects than the aforementioned
Manziel was clearly a bust but I don't think he was overdrafted. Problem was he was a guy who needed coaching to keep his head on straight, and he ended up in Cleveland, which hasn't developed a QB in two and a half decades despite seemingly drafting a QB highly every other year.

I find a big problem with the way teams draft (and the way they trade established players to get "picks and money" in Ireland's fashion) is they all overrate their own competence. They always think they are going to be the ones to develop a project player. They all think they are gonna be competent enough to have a high success rate on their draft picks. Few will ever admit to themselves that they aren't good enough to develop projects, turn tools into ability (Josh Allen seems a rare exception when it comes to QB's), and aren't going to draft well - at least until they are fired.

Lance has probably made as many passing plays in like 5 games as Fields has in nearly two full seasons. Fields is a terrible QB. Would have been an even more monumental disaster in SF since he's entirely deficient at getting rid of the ball to receivers on schedule and that's what SF requires.

Fields is going to have a stellar season.

Manziel was clearly a bust but I don't think he was overdrafted. Problem was he was a guy who needed coaching to keep his head on straight, and he ended up in Cleveland, which hasn't developed a QB in two and a half decades despite seemingly drafting a QB highly every other year.

I find a big problem with the way teams draft (and the way they trade established players to get "picks and money" in Ireland's fashion) is they all overrate their own competence. They always think they are going to be the ones to develop a project player. They all think they are gonna be competent enough to have a high success rate on their draft picks. Few will ever admit to themselves that they aren't good enough to develop projects, turn tools into ability (Josh Allen seems a rare exception when it comes to QB's), and aren't going to draft well - at least until they are fired.
I cringe every time I see All-pro OT Lane Johnson. I'll never forget when Ireland traded up to #3 to get the desperately needed Johnson, so I thought, but instead selected Dion Jordan.

I cringe every time I see All-pro OT Lane Johnson. I'll never forget when Ireland traded up to #3 to get the desperately needed Johnson, so I thought, but instead selected Dion Jordan.
Miami has had more than their fair share of rubes-in-charge who were swamp ass at making the right decision, especially when it comes to the offensive line.

I may be miffed.

Back
Top Bottom