Is Wright Worth The Pick?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by TRUDOLFAN54, Jun 24, 2005.

1. TRUDOLFAN54

TRUDOLFAN54 PHINZ4LIFE!!!!

What Up Fins Fans Are There Any Usc Fans Here I Was Wondering If Someone Could Give Me Some Input On This Guy is he Any Good.

2. GreenMonster

GreenMonster Never con a con man

He is worth a 3rd rounder from what I hear, but not a 2nd.

3. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan A True Fan

He's not even worth the 3rd but that's where he will likely go. Lazy, unfocused player who only started 2 games. Really if he were in the draft this year I think he would have been a 4th-5th. However teams will pay a premium to get a young player in late.

At best he's worth a 4th but he will probably go in the 3rd. A team would be daft to spend a 2nd on him.

4. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

I'm a USC alum. I wish I could be more definitive on Wright but he just didn't play much behind Cody and Patterson. We have so much talent now it's not I focused on him all the time or the program is crushed to lose him.

I called my friend in the sports information office for some insight a few weeks ago and he didn't offer much other than Wright was never considered a headcase or someone the coaching staff always had to worry about. He said it was clear Wright wasn't academically gifted or inclined and always barely managed to stay eligible until this spring, when he slacked off after the DL coach left for Mississippi.

I thought Wright played a bit high and raw for a DT. His best moments came in passing situations, like late in the Cal game last year when we were desperately holding on and he pressured Aaron Rodgers. No question he has athleticism and an NFL frame. He looks more like a 3-4 DE than a pure DT in terms of his build.

5. Buddwalk

Buddwalk The Jukebox Hero

If we can get him with a 4th I say do it but i'm really not willing to give up any day 1 picks anymore unless its a surefire player!

Trading a 2nd round pick for Feeley [Unproven QB, who was 3rd string in philly]
    Trading a 3rd round pick for Lamar Gordon [Cant Stay healthy and hasnt ever been the leading back]

When you trade day 1 picks for players that are unproven its always a gamble...and we have had bad luck with that. I'm not really willing to give up a day one pick for a player who might not even be better than our worst DT

6. LAphinfan

LAphinfan Captain

We got Channing Crowder this year in the 3rd and that is where Wright will probably go. Even with all the hype I don't think any NFL team is silly enough (now that Wannstedt and Spielman have 'resigned') to deal a 2nd for a backup DT who has potential but also some baggage. Who would you rather have? Crowder or Wright? I rest my case.

7. zephon

zephon Well-Known Member

i've said it before and i'll say it again...we should NOT spend more than a 4th round pick on him.

I would spend 4th for sure but am hoping all the hype from everyone, including us, is just that, hype and we end up spending a 5th. The one nice thing is that the only teams that we keep reading about being interested all will very likely have a lower draft slot then us. Of course it's weighted like the NBA draft lottery but our chances a greater than all but a couple teams...that haven't been mentioned.

I also like Crosby....if he's still there in the 7th...I spend it. Even if we've already spent a pick on Wright. He'll be as good as any 7th round pick available in next years draft.

8. godfater21

godfater21 A True Fan

I say don't waste the pick save it for the real draft

9. zephon

zephon Well-Known Member

this is still part of the real draft. It's used for players normally not qualified for the 1st player entry draft because of age however it's been used in recent years for players that can't get there grades up and were to young a couple months ago. So personally I don't think it's wasting a pick.

However, I certainly understand you not wanting to used a pick in the suppl draft if you don't feel any of the players are worth a round 1-7 value in the following draft had that person played another season in college. Is that the point you were making?

10. Buddwalk

Buddwalk The Jukebox Hero

Roscoe Crosby However would have been an excellent aquisition if we hadnt grabbed david boston. I expect roscoe to be taken with a 3rd round pick probobly by houston

Hes 6''3 210 lbs. runsa 4.47 40 and if he would of been in this draft he probobly would have been a early second round pick...a couple picks behind reggie brown

11. finsnchips

finsnchips 2005 FinHeaven GM League Champion!!

This is an extremely uneducated view.

He only started 2 games because he played behind a couple of all-americans in Patterson and Cody.

He is neither lazy nor unfocused - he just hasn't got the grades.

12. BlueFin

BlueFin Seer of Visions Finheaven VIP

Don't you think you should at least consider the fact that he was sitting behind two highly drafted DT's at USC who were older(Shaun Cody and Mike Patterson)? Think that might have affected his number of starts?

13. HysterikiLL

HysterikiLL A True Fan

Just wrote a real long post but it got deleted because my dumb:goof: ss dog decided to jump on the laptop and hit ESC. :cry:

Basically, he's a really raw-cut player. He anchors well, using his size and throwing his weight correctly. I think he'll be good in the league just because he has shift lineman so cleanly.

But damnit, I don't feel like writing any more. Damn dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!@#E$R%^&*

Lets throw a 3rd in the mix.

14. ScottishFin

ScottishFin Guest

that fact that he is fairly obviously thick as pig **** should scare a lot of people off , no more than a 4th from me

15. albyfinfan

albyfinfan go fins

IMO i would go no higher than a 3rd round pick vor this guy b/c since he didnt play all that much noone really knows what hes capable of, sooooooooooo

i'll just leave it for Meuller and Saban, i'm suer they;ll make the right decision.

16. Raekwon The Che

Raekwon The Che Check out the grill...

If he is there in the third round then we draft him.

17. TouchDown

TouchDown Well-Known Member

This could be a sign for the future. If we are going to continue the 4-3 D, then we might give a 4th. If we are definitely going the 3-4 route, we will pass. I do think that Wright has value in that he was #3 behind to good DTs and would start this year if eligible.

18. Oboy

Oboy Premium Member

To tell the truth, I don't know which I'd rather have...

NEITHER have played a single down in the NFL. IF (I hope not) Crowder gets hurt in Training camp and never plays a down... people will be cursing why we got him. Now that is an extreme, but you can't make that opinion yet. BOTH have question marks. That is why neither went in the first round...

19. FinaticPatch

FinaticPatch Pro Bowler

I wouldnt go higher than a 4th rounder, but thats probably why im not in an NFL front office somewhere.

20. Miamibyrd_24

Miamibyrd_24 Well-Known Member

So many DL's.

I wouldn't give anything over a fouth round pick for him. I know we are building for the future and all, but has anyone taken a look at how many DL and DE we have. Even when the first cut come around we will still have more than enough. If it was a CB or an OL, I'm all for it.

21. Hummer23

Hummer23 Well-Known Member

Wright has lots of potential Saban could get the best out of him.

22. FinNasty

FinNasty "The Sticker Dunk"

OK... since NEITHER have played in the NFL yet... what should you judge them by? How about talent... and Crowder has Wright killed talent wise. And we have seen what he can do on the college level which was be great. We havent seen that out of Wright. I know it isnt his fault because he was behind those studs... but still. We havent seen him be great on the college level where as we have wit Crowder. Plus... Crowder is definatly more talented. Dont try to compare Wright to Crowder... bad idea... :tsk:

Nasty

23. RHoffman

RHoffman DOB: Get my Ring!

Personally,

I think the third round is the highest Miami would take him...
    my fear is that if he is good...a team that is close to winning the whole thing such as the Eagles might grab him with a late second.

24. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Help save our Reefs ~ www.ReefCheck.org

I was thinking the exact same thing.
    On top of all you mentioned, the kid was only a Sophmore. He had 2 years remaining! A sophomore DT playing behind 2 all americans = lazy and unfocused. :shakeno:

If the Phins scouts think he has great upside then I'm all for taking the shot. Drafting a player in the supplemental gives you a full season jump on other players you would be drafting next year. If he's good we'd have a DT ready to go full bore in 2006 instead of bringing in a rookie to struggle through his first NFL season. The question is what pick he's worth.

25. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Help save our Reefs ~ www.ReefCheck.org

:hmmm:

Which team would you be talking about?

The Phins have serious troubles at DT.
    Bowens retired, Larry Chester's future is in serious doubt with his health issues, Keith Traylor is nothing more than a 1 yr. stop gap at the position and there's no one after that. We brought in a number of guys that are DE's NOT DT.

DT is a much more serious concern for the future than OL or CB.

26. Oboy

Oboy Premium Member

I was comparing to the point that BOTH could still turn out to be a bust. BOTH have lots of questions. That is the reason Crowder fell as far as he did. If he was that much of a sure thing he would have gone in the first round.

Everyone has said Wright has loads of talent. Just not too bright and never got a chance to play behind one first round and one second round pick. There have been some great players to come out like that.

27. Philter25

Philter25 MORE COWBELL!!!

Im too lazy to type my opinion over and over again......
    http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=83534

28. Bill C

Bill C Seasoned Veteran

I think Saban needs him and I think he will offer a 3rd. Hopefully, a 4th would do it, but I think we lose him with that offer.

29. FinzManiac

FinzManiac A True Fan

I would not waste a 1st day pick on this guy and I do not expect Saban will either....

a 4th rounder is as high as I see Saban going...

30. phinphan11

phinphan11 Perennial All-Pro

He'll probably go in the 3rd or 4th, but could possibly fool a team into selecting him at #2. These numbers are high only because of the hype going into the supplemental draft. If he was part of the last regular draft, he would have probably barely cracked the fourth round.

31. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

Seriously, have you ever seen Wright play? I doubt it. Because in terms of pure athletic ability I comfortably rate Wright above Channing Crowder. Admittedly I'm biased as an 'SC alum who despises the Gators. Regardless, there is no way Crowder has an edge in that regard, let alone "killed talent wise." I've watched Crowder plenty and he plays a bit high and stiff especially in space. Wright is never in great shape but you can see the quickness and agility on every play he goes all out. Now, if you're talking about sustained intensity then Crowder has the clear advantage.