• Yes, First ballot

Votes: 12 11.9%
  • Yes, eventually

Votes: 41 40.6%
  • No

Votes: 48 47.5%

• Total voters
nyjunc said:
scroll down and look at his resume(at the link below), it's not that impressive. I change my mind, in no way will he ever get in. He is less than a borderline candidate. he didn't put up great #s and he never won anything, he is NOT a HOFer.

You can argue whether he deserves it or not....but he will get in. People vote on more than stats, especially for the basketball hall of fame. You're right, he may not be a first ballot hof'er, just depends on who hes going up against that year.

What am I missing?

I just looked at his stats...those are HOF numbers for a center...PERIOD.

REMEMBER THAT HIS CAREER BASICALLY STOPPED in 2002!

I did a quick cross-reference check and came up with this......

Of all the centers to ever play the game....these are the only ones with better numbers than ZO (taking into account ppg, fg%, Reb, Blk's, FT%, Stl, FT Per Game)

Kareem Abdul Jabbar
Hakeem Olajuwon
Wilt Chamberlain
Shaquille O'Neal
David Robinson
Patrick Ewing

Zo has better numbers than these HOF's

Bill Russell
Moses Malone
Bill Walton

He has better numbers than two guys that were on the ballot last year:

Artis Gilmore
Ralph Sampson

Boy....the anti-ZO bias is really showing through with some of you North Eastern people.

That's it...we that say he gets in are right...and you ZO haters are wrong....end of discussion.

Section126 said:
That's it...we that say he gets in are right...and you ZO haters are wrong....end of discussion.

Let me ask you this. Do you think Terrel Davis with his Super Bowl rings will get it in? I'll answer for you. No. My point is that Zo is'nt to basketball what Davis was to football and he won't get in.imo.

Ferretsquig said:
You can argue whether he deserves it or not....but he will get in. People vote on more than stats, especially for the basketball hall of fame. You're right, he may not be a first ballot hof'er, just depends on who hes going up against that year.

I agree it's more than stats, WINNING also plays a major role and he has never won anything and even if Miami wins it all he doesn't deserve credit for riding Shaq's coattails to a title.

Section126 said:

Bill Russell
Moses Malone
Bill Walton

Artis Gilmore
Ralph Sampson

Boy....the anti-ZO bias is really showing through with some of you North Eastern people.

Russell played in a different era, it was a completely different game back then. Russell also led his teams to double digit Championships. Russell also won FIVE MVP's, I can't believe it's come to this where you are comparing Alonzo Mourning to Bill Russell! :eek:

Moses Malone won THREE MVP's and a Finals MVP while Alonzo has never even been to a Finals. Malone was on the all-NBA 1st or 2nd team 8 times and the all defensive team twice. Malone led the league in offensive rebounding 8 times, in defensive rebounds 2 times, was top 5 in scoring 5 times. Oh and he won a title as well. The 2 are not comparable, you are really reaching and showing you have no appreciation of basketball history to compare those players to Alonzo Mourning.

Ralph Sampson is most likely on the ballot b/c he was a great college player, he was a bust in the NBA and will not make the Hall unless it is based upon college.

Artis Gilmore was a great player in the ABA which is why he is up for election, based upon his NBA years he would not even be on the ballot. Alonzo will be on the ballot and deserves to be, he just won't make and doesn't deserve to make it.

Section126 said:
What am I missing?

I just looked at his stats...those are HOF numbers for a center...PERIOD.

REMEMBER THAT HIS CAREER BASICALLY STOPPED in 2002!

I did a quick cross-reference check and came up with this......

Of all the centers to ever play the game....these are the only ones with better numbers than ZO (taking into account ppg, fg%, Reb, Blk's, FT%, Stl, FT Per Game)

Kareem Abdul Jabbar
Hakeem Olajuwon
Wilt Chamberlain
Shaquille O'Neal
David Robinson
Patrick Ewing

Bill Russell
Moses Malone
Bill Walton

Artis Gilmore
Ralph Sampson

Im from the Northeast, well borderline-Virginia. Im not a heat fan or Mourning fan and Im man enough to admit he's a HOFer. Theres no doubt, these people that think he won't make it are fooling themselves. Hes a lock to get in.

Den54 said:
Let me ask you this. Do you think Terrel Davis with his Super Bowl rings will get it in? I'll answer for you. No. My point is that Zo is'nt to basketball what Davis was to football and he won't get in.imo.

Different sport...different HOF criteria...you are comparing apples to tooth paste. (Not even oranges)

nyjunc said:
Russell played in a different era, it was a completely different game back then. Russell also led his teams to double digit Championships. Russell also won FIVE MVP's, I can't believe it's come to this where you are comparing Alonzo Mourning to Bill Russell! :eek:

Moses Malone won THREE MVP's and a Finals MVP while Alonzo has never even been to a Finals. Malone was on the all-NBA 1st or 2nd team 8 times and the all defensive team twice. Malone led the league in offensive rebounding 8 times, in defensive rebounds 2 times, was top 5 in scoring 5 times. Oh and he won a title as well. The 2 are not comparable, you are really reaching and showing you have no appreciation of basketball history to compare those players to Alonzo Mourning.

Ralph Sampson is most likely on the ballot b/c he was a great college player, he was a bust in the NBA and will not make the Hall unless it is based upon college.

Artis Gilmore was a great player in the ABA which is why he is up for election, based upon his NBA years he would not even be on the ballot. Alonzo will be on the ballot and deserves to be, he just won't make and doesn't deserve to make it.

There have been countless HOF's that have never even sniffed a championship.......

The stats speak for themselves...you are wrong...just admit it.

Section126 said:
There have been countless HOF's that have never even sniffed a championship.......

The stats speak for themselves...you are wrong...just admit it.

yes but they've won major awards, they've led the league in mulitple categories, they've consistently been on all-NBA teams and they have at least gotten their teams to NBA Finals. No yuo don't have to have Championships to get in but you need great #s(relative to your era). 'Zo just doesn't have the resume.

Section126 said:
Different sport...different HOF criteria...you are comparing apples to tooth paste. (Not even oranges)

That's probably more relevant than comparing Mourning to Bill Russell. TD dominated in the NFL for a short time, 'Zo has never dominated int he NBA.

Back
Top Bottom