It has begun... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

It has begun...

His'nBeatYour'n

Would I be a Parcells guy?
Reaction score
The search for a franchise QB officially started when Nick named Frerotte the starter. Nick's only shortcoming so far has been the inability to obtain a franchise QB. I have been an AJ supporter (as my past posts will prove), but I have no problem with Nick's decision to start Gus and demote AJ to 3rd string. The only tangible reason to support AJ was because he was "green" and needed experience to show his whole potential. But, he blew (perhaps his career) it when he couldn't beat out Gus Frerotte. He displayed a lack of competitive edge. If AJ had the intestinal fortitude he could have easily beat out Frerotte, who won by default. But he completely blew his chance. I have no problem abandonging hope for AJ after he couldn't seize the opportunity that was given to him. All he had to do was show something, and he showed nothing. In fact, he showed less than nothing, because when the door was wide open, he couldn't simply walk through.
I still think that Saban believed (hoped?) that AJ could prove himself a franchise QB. He made his subsequent decisions based on this belief. But, something (finding a franchise QB) will need to be done before Saban will have ANY true success at the pro level. AJ has failed (and is lucky to remain on the roster).
I had a lot of faith in the Dolphins ability to erase the abberation, that was last year, and return to form. However, my hopes are diminished today, because the most important position is in dire straits right now and unfortunately Saban and myself put too much faith in a guy that couldn't even step up and perform against third and fourth stringers.
Until Saban finds a QB that can bring the Phins back to the 'promise land' we are, unfortunately, going to remain an average team.

However,
It is still preseason
I am an optimist
We DO have a promising D, Running game, and WR depth.
We are (like everyone else) still undefeated.
We have improved coaching.
I am going to root for Frerotte 100%.
And preseason still means absolutely nothing.
The Dolphins ARE better at every position, except CB, than they were when they went 10-6 in 03'.
We still should beat Denver.
I am an optimist.
Go Phins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And why would we beat Denver??? I mean if we do that, then we should be considered playoff material....they are a playoff team and are better than last year. So either your post is true, but Denver kills us, or your post is wrong and we are better than you say and then we beat Denver. Anyone agree.....ill even say it....if we beat Denver, then i believe we have a shot.

dixie3363 said:
And why would we beat Denver??? I mean if we do that, then we should be considered playoff material....they are a playoff team and are better than last year. So either your post is true, but Denver kills us, or your post is wrong and we are better than you say and then we beat Denver. Anyone agree.....ill even say it....if we beat Denver, then i believe we have a shot.

We "should" beat Denver, because I'm an optimist.

I agree. If we beat Denver, we do have a shot. And this board will reflect that. Although...

We beat the Super Bowl champs last year. It certainly didn't make us playoff material.

I'm disappointed in our QB situation.
I'm disappointed in AJ Feeley.

Preaseason means nothing.

Go Phins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good post, I agree with you on pretty much everything.

We need a QB who is going to be able to manage a game well and throw on 3rd and 10's when need be and actually make the play with a great WR corps. Not many teams have a great receiver in Chambers; who can go deep and get it and make his own plays and make the QB look good but we also have Boston; who is a physical freak and if can pull it all together can have a season like he had with San Diego with a sub-par QB there and Booker who also had a sub-par QB in Chicago but is a good consistent possesion receiver. Plus we have Ronnie Brown who arguably had the best hands out of this years draft as some analysts said and definitely had the best hands out of the RB's.

Hisn'WithYour'n said:
Nick's only shortcoming so far has been the inability to obtain a franchise QB.

:confused2

Nick hasn't even been here 8 months and has yet to play one game that mattered.

Let's wait for Brees to have another great season, so either he or Philip Rivers will be put on the trading block. Or see if we can make a move on Matt Schaub in Atlanta. Schaub seems to have plenty of abillity - according to PFW inside editions 2005 Preview; Pocket-oriented Schaub might be better than 10 NFL starters right now.

PFW - Atlanta 2005 preview

(Will need ESPN insider membership to view)

Despite Vicks tendencies to scramble often, and with that risking injury, why would Atlanta let a 3rd rd. pick with huge upside sit if he can be dealt for the right price - ( e.i. a 2nd round in the 2007 draft)

Imagine Schaub dart away with the receiving corp we have.

That would be ideal options if u ask my opinion.

Who other than Brees/Rivers and Schaub do we have to go after?

Draft?

Let me have it... :rolleyes:

Much rather draft our own guy for once...

Jaj said:
Much rather draft our own guy for once...

I see what u are saying, but what value is out there on the draft boards that will be realistic to look at? What guy can takes us to the promised land?

Gam(e)-is-on said:
Let's wait for Brees to have another great season, so either he or Philip Rivers will be put on the trading block. Or see if we can make a move on Matt Schaub in Atlanta. Schaub seems to have plenty of abillity - according to PFW inside editions 2005 Preview; Pocket-oriented Schaub might be better than 10 NFL starters right now.

PFW - Atlanta 2005 preview

(Will need ESPN insider membership to view)

Despite Vicks tendencies to scramble often, and with that risking injury, why would Atlanta let a 3rd rd. pick with huge upside sit if he can be dealt for the right price - ( e.i. a 2nd round in the 2007 draft)

Imagine Schaub dart away with the receiving corp we have.

That would be ideal options if u ask my opinion.

Who other than Brees/Rivers and Schaub do we have to go after?

Draft?

Let me have it... :rolleyes:

I don't think anyone will "let you have it". You brought up good points and had a link with a good story in it.

I think we are in a tough spot. Leinart staying in school screwed us.

If we try and trade for a Q.B. we WILL overpay (see A.J. Feeley or any other able bodied Q.B. that has been traded for the last 10 years).

Drafting a Q.B. is the main option of course. That being said, this is a weak year for Q.B.'s. I may be alone here but I don't want to sit and wait for 3 years to see if an Omar Jacobs can develop into a quality NFL passer (I'm not sold on him incidentially...his delivery bothers me).

I am hoping (like you suggest)that Drew Brees has another Pro Bowl season. Phillip Rivers was'nt drafted 4th overall so he could sit and watch for 4-5 years. San Diego will have to make a decision.

A scenerio that might happen is Brees returns to his average self this year, becomes a free agent and we can pick him up for a decent price. Yes, we will have another average passer but I think an average Drew Brees is better then anything we have right now. We can draft a Q.B. at some point on Day one in '06 and have him backup Brees for a year.

Another scenerio is Brees has another great year and they franchise him or sign him long term. If that happens the Chargers will want to get a return on the Rivers investment...he could be had but we will have to overpay.

I might get bashed pretty good by saying this but, I'd give up a first rounder (as long as it was'nt top 10) RIGHT now for Rivers.

The more I think about this topic the more troubled I get...we need a Q.B. so badly. If we even had a second tier guy ( a Jake Delhomme/Matt Hasselbeck) we would be, without a doubt, a playoff team.

To think we could have had Hasselbeck or Trent Green....but Wanny was sold on Fiedler....yet another reason Wannstedt is an idiot.

Just a thought but I think AJ Feeley was on display in the last game to be traded, but I think he blew it big time... At least that is what I would have done with him.

It could explain Saban's frustration with him in his last press conference...

dixie3363 said:

Denver doesn't have a "franchise QB". He is serviceable at times. Is it just me or does Jake Plummer seem to be one of the most over rated QB's in the league? He has done absolutely nothing.
I think those who dismiss our team based on alleged poor QB play are being inconsistent. Losman hasn't looked so great this preseason, neither has Boller. Yet, both teams are considered potential playoff teams because of their defenses. Last time I checked, our defense has looked pretty good.

unifiedtheory said:
I don't think anyone will "let you have it". You brought up good points and had a link with a good story in it.

I think we are in a tough spot. Leinart staying in school screwed us.

If we try and trade for a Q.B. we WILL overpay (see A.J. Feeley or any other able bodied Q.B. that has been traded for the last 10 years).

Drafting a Q.B. is the main option of course. That being said, this is a weak year for Q.B.'s. I may be alone here but I don't want to sit and wait for 3 years to see if an Omar Jacobs can develop into a quality NFL passer (I'm not sold on him incidentially...his delivery bothers me).

I am hoping (like you suggest)that Drew Brees has another Pro Bowl season. Phillip Rivers was'nt drafted 4th overall so he could sit and watch for 4-5 years. San Diego will have to make a decision.

A scenerio that might happen is Brees returns to his average self this year, becomes a free agent and we can pick him up for a decent price. Yes, we will have another average passer but I think an average Drew Brees is better then anything we have right now. We can draft a Q.B. at some point on Day one in '06 and have him backup Brees for a year.

Another scenerio is Brees has another great year and they franchise him or sign him long term. If that happens the Chargers will want to get a return on the Rivers investment...he could be had but we will have to overpay.

I might get bashed pretty good by saying this but, I'd give up a first rounder (as long as it was'nt top 10) RIGHT now for Rivers.

The more I think about this topic the more troubled I get...we need a Q.B. so badly. If we even had a second tier guy ( a Jake Delhomme/Matt Hasselbeck) we would be, without a doubt, a playoff team.

To think we could have had Hasselbeck or Trent Green....but Wanny was sold on Fiedler....yet another reason Wannstedt is an idiot.

Thank you unifiedtheory

I agree that the Feeley trade was not thought through by Speilman. At the least the price was way to steep considering he was 3rd stringer.

What is the right price for Schaub? Can Schaub even fit in Sabans/Linehans system? I believe that he would fare well in Linehans schems.

He has the arm I would say.

Any thoughts on Schaub?

Gam(e)-is-on said:
Thank you unifiedtheory

I agree that the Feeley trade was not thought through by Speilman. At the least the price was way to steep considering he was 3rd stringer.

What is the right price for Schaub? Can Schaub even fit in Sabans/Linehans system? I believe that he would fare well in Linehans schems.

He has the arm I would say.

Any thoughts on Schaub?

In RS defense, he was put under pressure to find someone right away. He wasn't give the luxury to find a developmental prospect or wait until the draft.
Frankly, with respect to QB's, that offseason (to quote Mandich) was no beauty contest.
Brunell was a flop in Washington. Garcia wasn't the answer either. The only person I think would have fit in with a win now philosophy would have been Kerry Collins. I don't even think RS considered him (probably because of his price tag).

jlfin said:
In RS defense, he was put under pressure to find someone right away. He wasn't give the luxury to find a developmental prospect or wait until the draft.
Frankly, with respect to QB's, that offseason (to quote Mandich) was no beauty contest.
Brunell was a flop in Washington. Garcia wasn't the answer either. The only person I think would have fit in with a win now philosophy would have been Kerry Collins. I don't even think RS considered him (probably because of his price tag).

Im sorry to say this, but under pressure doesnt excuse the decision of paying a 2. round pick for a 3rd stringer. U needed to make an upgrade and not a lateral move.

U can actually compare Rick and Jay with each other, they where kind of the same breed. Both made some good "Plays" for then to follow up with a stupid decision. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom