It's Not All Jay Cutler, Folks

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by J. David Wannyheimer, Oct 8, 2017.

1. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

We have one of the worst offenses I've ever seen going back 47 years to 1970

Our pure offense has 18 points this season averaging 4.5 points per game
    Let that sink in for a while 4.5 pts pure offense

Our field goal kicker has produce 15 points...plus 2 xtra points
    and our defense put up another 6 pts

41 total points in 4 games is absurd
    We are the only team in the NFL without a rushing td

If Gase is such a offensive genius he has to right this ship
    otherwise we'll be looking for a new coach this off season

2. Sarnics13

Sarnics13 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

This!!

Everybody looked bad but you really could see a sense of distrust in cutler. You could see the players walking to the sideline after he did something stupid like they just expected it and couldn't care less. I don't think anyone believes in him. Hell, the whole stadium went in to "we want moore" at least 4 times.
    After finally getting a home game to actually see them i really believe he is a huge downer for this team and is limiting everything. It's time to roll with moore and accept whatever happens.

Good grief do i miss Tannehill. I believe with all of my heart that we would have dropped 4 TD's on them with a healthy RT.

3. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

Like hoops said, our season is basically shot (and was when Tannehill went down)

Here is what is keeping me positive:
    -A much improved defense, that I don't see why can't be even better next year
    -RT isn't taking all this punishment, this has to make the team reload the OL and try to build a pocket / running lanes.
    -We should get a pretty decent draft spot

4. Spiff

Spiff Starter Finheaven VIP

Boy, and people thought Tannehill was the problem. Tannehill is looking more and more like the Second Coming playing very well behind this line all these years.

SkapePhin and FinaticalOne like this.
  5. Finland

Finland Pro Bowler

Firstly, Cutler was not brought in to take the Offense to the next level. Some have said he would, but that is not why he was brought in.
    Secondly, Is he to blame for the running game?
    Thirdly, no I don't like him, but lets be real with some stuff.

3rd N Long, FinaticalOne and miami365 like this.
  6. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

So why was he brought in on big money then? To go 5-11? If he wont take the O to a different level than Moore why didnt we give Landry the money?

The signing seems even worse in your context!

7. Beach Bum 91

Beach Bum 91 Water Boy

If you have no passing game then the running game will probably suffer. Fake Gase quote, " Our running game is designed around a productive passing game".

8. PerfectFinz72

PerfectFinz72 Pro Bowler

What I dont like is before every single snap the playclock is run down to less than 5 seconds. I dont know that I've ever seen that before....also dont know what that means?

He just doesn't seem to have any sense of urgency. And the issue with running the playclock down matters when you're trailing (like the 2nd half of the Jets/Saints game). You gotta get moving and get some points and he's just kinda going thru the motions.

9. lurking

lurking FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

It's funny reading through the threads these days .the anti-Tannehill crowd using the oline as a crutch for the offense of failures. When Tannehill was the starter that was not allowed to be used as an excuse for the offense of struggles.

Digital and Beach Bum 91 like this.
  10. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Paint on My Hands from Paintin the Perfect Picture Finheaven VIP Donator

The line has always sucked. There is no harm pointing out where Cutler has managed the pocket and avoided sacks. My biggest gripe with Tannehill was he never did that the first 4 years of his career and it constantly put us in 3rd and long. He started doing that last year after a rough first 5 games and that with his combination of toughness and ability to hang in there and deliver the ball saw him make the best gains of his career.

People talk about Tannehill as the second coming . . . lol this is a QB who has never had more than 8 wins in a season, and just started last season 1-4. All of the theories regarding him is full of candies and rainbows, but never tangible. "Oh he would of beat the Steelers", "oh we would of won @Buffalo easily if he was playing" . . . Fact is he has never done **** and both Matt Moore and Jay Cutler has better/similar win percentages at QB in a Miami uniform than he does.

He ain't on the team right now and won't take a snap for 20 months with a 18 million dollar price tag. People need to stop talking about him for this season.

I am no fan of this current offense, but the hypocrisy in the whole process is funnier than any of it. It may never get better but I sure am giving it more than 4 games if we can give Ryan 70 to get it figured out. Tunsil's lapses have been the most disappointing part of this season. Just inexcusable for a guy of his talent. I can deal with the poor interior. At least Juwan is doing an adequate job.

Just a piss poor offense with a lot of issues right now and the QB should get the lion's share of the blame just like he will get the credit if they get it turned around.

3rd N Long likes this.
  11. Spiff

Come on, you know I don't believe he truly is the "Second Coming". Relax. But if you can't see the difference between Tannehill and Cutler behind equally bad offensive lines, well I don't know what to tell you.

This still is a team stat. Tannehill also never had a defense better than #12 (yards given up) or #7 (points given up) in the league. And that was during his rookie season. Right now, the Dolphins defense is #7 (yards) or #4 (points).

3rd N Long and lurking like this.
  12. lurking

lurking FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I understand that the line has sucked for years. But the Tannehill supporters weren't allowed to use that. A lot of people that dislike Tannehill certainly forgot that he was supposed to be on the bench the first two years of his career.

13. FinaticalOne

FinaticalOne DieHard FinFan 4 Life

Cutler is not being paid "big money" by any standards of a quality starting NFL QB. $10 million makes him the 18th highest paid QB. You make it sound like he's being paid top 10 money. Gase knows Moore is not the answer for the entire season. What if Gase did decide to roll with Moore instead of signing Cuter, what would happen when Moore gets injured playing behind that piss-poor line? Bring in Brandon Doughty (LOL)? I think not. Gase needed to bring in another veteran QB, and given the bad timing when Tannehill went down, he figured Cutler was the best case scenario since he is familiar with the system and had some success in it. I think most of us figured Cutler may not play above Tannehill but at least keep the boat afloat for a season until he returns.

3rd N Long and Avigatorx like this.
  14. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

I'll keep saying until i'm blue in the face..

Miami should've made a play on Watson....

15. Fin Thirteen

Fin Thirteen FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Right now I would happily take him playing like he was the 18th best QB in the league (or the 20th, or the 25th...)

16. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Paint on My Hands from Paintin the Perfect Picture Finheaven VIP Donator

After four games tho. We have had similar starts to the season on defense in the past just to falter later on and we would blame the "typical dolphins defense" that can't hold a lead over accountability on offense.

Nobody is disputing the poor start on offense, but what I can dispute is the lack of games and time the QB has had in the offense and its too early to jump to any conclusions on making a change at QB, especially to Matt Moore, who I absolutely root for, but even I understand his limitations.

Not a fan of discarding team W/L records . . .the best QBs tend to win the most games. Obviously exceptions but that is a theory similar to the most successful QBs are taken in round 1. Overanalyzing that leads to more candies and rainbows for guys that haven't proven anyhing yet.

Fact is, tossing Tanehill into the equation should fall on deaf ears at this point. Lets get 2017 sorted and then we can hit a long offseason and see if the guy ever takes a snap as a Dolphin in the regular season again. No question he is the top dog when/if healthy.

3rd N Long likes this.
  17. Kdawg954

Weren't allowed? It was used after every loss lol

3rd N Long and Rugged Man like this.
  18. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 A True Fan

THis offensive line is still better than most of the lines Tannehill played with.

-=DolfanDave=- likes this.
  19. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater Not Quite A Shredder Finheaven VIP

Must be the only chance the offense has at giving the defense a rest. Heres an excerpt from his earpiece last game....

"Alrighty Cutty, we all know you have a cows chance in hell of getting a first down, so just run that play clock way down while our defense sucks down some oxygen. Great job buddy, keep it up!"

20. hoops

hoops exited stage left

This place STILL doesn't know when to blame the qb and when to blame the oline

cuchulainn likes this.
  21. Kdawg954

Outside of the very limited action Dallas Thomas got at LT, Tunsil is putting out some of the worst LT tape we've seen. Even Martin wasn't this bad.

This is as bad as Pouncey has looked in a Dolphins uniform.

Bushrod and Davis/Steen have been terrible. Maybe they aren't the bullrush victims that Dallas Thomas was, but they are whiffing on blocks at a higher clip than he did.

James has been adequate, a star compared to the rest, but he has his lapses as well and his run blocking continues to be subpar.

Honestly, this is as bad as they have looked IMO. Obviously up for debate but the mental lapses have been abundant.

3rd N Long likes this.
  22. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

no they don't (hopefully we are on the same page though)

23. Kdawg954

Is what it is. If we want to compare a QB with 2015 continuity with his line and playmakers going into year 2 vs. a QB called up in August with no familiarity 2 years removed from the system and expect immediate results . . . So be it.

I will take my 2-2 and hopefully Adam Gase, Jay Cutler and the entire offense get on track and play a hell of a lot better than we have seen.

Dreaming about 17 being in there does nothing to help the situation.

3rd N Long and Avigatorx like this.
  24. hoops

hoops exited stage left

The guy suffering the most is jay Ajayi and 2 elements share that.

But the all loaded boxes etc are a complete function of the qbs inability to beat teams from the pocket within the timing of the routes.

Cutler and Julius Thomas carry the worst 2 grades on o playing right now.

It's kinda like all offseason it was scheme this and scheme that regarding the d when it was all about personnel deficiencies all along.

Amazing what having 2 quality nickel backers the difference it makes. Plus guys being more gap accountable and solid adds like William Hayes and Charles Harris for the sub.

25. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

Today, I was specifically thinking of blaming the receivers. I'm sorry, but that drop by Julius Thomas in particular was absolutely dreadful.

When the quarterback does make a nice, easy throw right into your breadbasket, catch the damn ball.

3rd N Long likes this.
  26. hoops

hoops exited stage left

We need more from the WRs no doubt but there's just no ball out in sync with the route combos. He's bailing way way too much before he lets the progressions develop.

That drop by Thomas was brutal but it's his run game play that is murdering us at the poa. He can't sustain a block for nothing.

Kenny stills had a drop too. Of course cutler is throwing these balls completely off his back foot despite no damn front foot pressure so the balls gonna sink

russianbear and TheWozz like this.
  27. hoops

hoops exited stage left

They yanked Julius and played more fasano problem with that is it's an obvious heavy run tell teams will adjust to.

Maybe if we work more from under center out of 2 wr sets that can help.

11 isn't going anywhere in the run game cause thomas is killing us

28. Spiff

The Colts average 21 points with Jacoby Brissett under center. Who they traded for right before week 1. I don't understand why I can't tell what I see and that's Jay Cutler screwing it up on almost every passing play.

29. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

Cutler is not a quality starting NFL QB.

30. dirwuf

dirwuf Scout Team

Take it from someone who saw every game Cutler played with the Bears, just when everyone gets this down on him, he'll throw for 4 TD's and 350 yards...

31. SkapePhin

SkapePhin Rump Shaker Finheaven VIP Donator

If Matt Moore started all year, would our record be any different? Maybe.

Cutler has been horrid. Moore would surely be doing better IMO.

32. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 We? What the **** we? Finheaven VIP Donator

He is to blame for the running game. Teams know he can’t do anything so they focus on Ajayi.

33. Aquablood

Aquablood Well-Known Member

Our season is shot when the OL coach is dong lines in his office.
    The OL play has been the worst. Culter has to running for his life every time he drop back. People here found out he has better pocket presence, because he is not getting his 'three seconds'. And people complaining he throws off his back foot. Set your foot or step up when in motion of throwing is the most basic fundamental of qb . It is taught in peewee league. I can't believe Culter suddenly forgot to set his foot. He did it because he is constantly on the move, backing up, defenders on his face, and don't want to give up a sack. IMHO, RT would have ten sacks by now playing behind this line.

3rd N Long likes this.
  34. Riftur

Riftur Demon

Finally someone who seems to understand football. You would think that after everything Tanny went through with this line people would realize 'Jeeze, you know maybe its not all the QB's fault. Maybe we really do have a bad o-line!

3rd N Long likes this.
  35. BahamaFinFan78

BahamaFinFan78 A True Fan

It's not all Jay Cutler, I agree, but I think we could have had the exact same offense or better with Moore and saved 10 million towards next year's cap. This offense is basically the same one that Moore won with last season. I bet right now if they put Moore in, we would score more points.

AZStryker likes this.
  36. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Cutler has never stepped into throws. He's relied on his arm which used to be a bazooka and isn't close to the same level anymore.

Good luck changing his 34 year old mechanics.

37. Yessir

Yessir Dolfan for Life Donator

It's 80% Cutler to anyone with two eye balls and some sense. Gase is gonna ride or die with him tho, because he is loyal, and because their no other option.

38. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

The root of the offensive problem cannot be laid at any single player's or coach's feet. It's essentially an interwoven miasma of dysfunctionality, of which Cutler is an important component. While Cutler may not be THE "problem,"anecdotally, it appears unlikely that he'll prove to be the "solution" either!

fishfanmiami likes this.
  39. JTech194

JTech194 Starter

Cutler has NOT been good. He's not the ONLY problem on this team, but when you play the most important position being a part of the problem is a big problem.

40. jessejames123

jessejames123 Scout Team

Its easy to say its "not all Cutler" and its true. But is MOSTLY Cutler. Oline can do a bit better, but its nothing we havent seen in the past. What you saw last year is RT make the D pay and wouldnt let them tee off on him. This isnt happening bc Cutler has ZERO timing routes (and mechanics) with our WR's. Hes making the Oline struggles look even worse bc he panics and drops his eyes and hides until he gets hit. Then the O gets scaled down to try and help him, and this just makes it all worse.

The WR's have checked out. And the Oline will follow suit.

That INT he threw was horrid. Why did he panic so hard in the pocket? I went to my Dads to watch the game and we just looked at eachother like WTF did he just do?? Its like he was playing pinball with his own offensive linemen. He had plenty of time to stand in there, or even roll out, there was plenty of room.

Bottom line this team needs it FRANCHISE QB back. He held the offense accountable during practice and made sure everyone knew their jobs. It apparent. And he was getting the job done. I know it doesn't make a difference this year. Even with the 1-4 start last year, QB play wasnt horrible.

Get some physical Guards and lets rock with RT in 2018.