It's Not All Jay Cutler, Folks

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by J. David Wannyheimer, Oct 8, 2017.

1. phins_4_ever

phins_4_ever E12 FH Tailgate Gang Moderator Finheaven VIP

Cutler makes this entire offense look stupid and incompetent. Our OL is not that awful as some make it out to be. It can always be better but I would reckon it is an average OL most NFL QBs have to deal with.
    It starts with him going under center and delaying the snap until under 5 seconds often snapping the ball with 1 second left. If he goes under center with 15 seconds left 95% of the time he steps back again and starts over.

It is also not the OL's fault if Cutler does not see his receivers like Stills and Parker one on one and having a step or two on their opponents. Instead he throws a hapless pass to a covered receiver (on the same side) 3 or 4 yards past the line of scrimmage.

This weekend I had the opportunity to talk to some people as a I spend some time at the training facility. Gase trusts Moore enough to be a backup. But he would never give Moore the starting nod for one simple reason: he could not control Moore.
    Gase is a control freak. He wants the plays called in from the sidelines executed. If a deep pass is not in the call, no deep pass. If Moore sees a small window of opportunity down the field he'll take that especially if all his targets are covered.

That does not excuse Cutler's failure in my example above. That particular play was on 3rd and long (8 yards or so), Stills having beat his coverage by 2 or 3 steps and Landry being short (2 yards past the LOS) on the same side as Sills was (left) in tight coverage and Cutler rolling to his left. The pass went high.
    This type of stuff happens quite often and has nothing to do with bad OL play. Opponents are stuffing the LOS stopping the run and daring Cutler to beat them.
    I always said when Tannehill played that a good QB can elevate the play of his teammates and can make any OL look better than they are. That still holds true.

2. lurking

lurking FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

read it slowly again. I said,
    The Tannehill supporters got blasted for saying the oline sucks in defense of his poor play.
    But now it's OK for them to use the oline sucks for Cutler's play. I get the fact that the oline sucks and it's been that way for years. There was even one clown posting stats that cutler was the best at avoiding pressure. so if that's the case, you can't use the Oline sucks as an excuse.

Travis34 likes this.
  3. hoops

hoops exited stage left

What's up with the stat yesterday the commentator said about cutler the last 5 years being a top 5 qb in red zone turnovers.

I could have sworn someone else said preseason he was the top red zone efficiency turnovers wise qb in the league.

Something like 8 red zone ints in the last 5 years the commentator said.

You don't want to be a leader in a stat that takes points off the board.

4. Austin Tatious

Austin Tatious Starter

Regarding the offense, here is where I am coming from:

1. Gase does not trust his OL. He's got Cutler on short dropouts looking for the quick throw before the defense gets to him. This is not working.
    2. Steen and Bushrod are not getting any push in the running game. I like Gase but he can be loyal to a fault. A guy like Bushrod just kills us out there.Until Ted Freaking Larsen is back, I'd swap in Jesse Davis and Isaac Asiata at guard. Gase is obviously terrified of them in pass pro, but a way around that is to let them get a push in the running game. If you pound the ball in the run game, the defense has to think twice about pass rush because they are getting mauled in the run game. Overall our pass pro may benefit from a more brutalizing attack running the ball.
    3. The defense is squatting on the short passes. If the run game can be more of a factor, Miami may be able to get away with more seven step drop throws. Let longer patterns develop because right now defenses are sitting on short passes at ridiculous levels. I'd also give Cutler more rollouts and work with him on his footwork to be more accurate. His throwing off his back foot is brutal. His happy feet at age 34 is disappointing. There is no law against teaching players this far into the season.
    4. Pouncey has to play better and may just do that since his practice time has been so limited. He may shake the rust off.
    5. If Kraig Urbick is healthy again, bring him back like you did with Hewitt. He's a better blocker than either guard we have now.
    6. Bottom line, get some run blocking in, and pound the rock better, which could then open the field for downfield throws. The short passing game is not working with this crew. C'mon now, let's make the adjustments and let's get going.

3rd N Long likes this.
  5. bradmcnutt13

bradmcnutt13 A True Fan

It's approximately 82% cutlers fault.

6. hoops

hoops exited stage left

We are in 11 first and 10 and there are 11 guys within 8 yards of the los pre snap.

That's called I'm not scared of your qb

7. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Throwing to his dump way too early. Completely skipping progressions that are wide open

8. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Another first and 10 11 guys within 8 yards of the los

Yeesh

9. hoops

hoops exited stage left

2nd and 7 11 guys within 8 yards.

10. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Look off freaking coverage in tight sets out of 11 vs those 11 man within 8 yards and we can torch it. But he's not looking squat off

11. hoops

hoops exited stage left

3rd and 7 he is looking at the rush instead of trusting the protection and going thru damn progressions. Bailing out on a damn td cause he won't stand in.

Screw this he sucks

12. canman1971

canman1971 Scout Team

If an Oline intentionally plays poorly because they don't like the QB, then the Oline should be fired on the spot. F*** this is professional sports not HS team sports.

3rd N Long likes this.
  13. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

Cutler isn't part of the solution. Gase needs to bite the bullet and bench him

14. hoops

hoops exited stage left

You know your play caller doesn't have faith in the passing game when he runs the ball on 2nd and 1 every time

That's when you should be taking shots.

russianbear likes this.
  15. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Single high 10 men within 7 yards of the los off tackle run to drake nothing

Yuck.

16. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Everything about this qb play is avoid contact at all cost.

Everything

Avigatorx likes this.
  17. datruth55

datruth55 Starter Finheaven VIP

Might be one of my biggest frustrations this year. 2nd and short and we run the ball...over and over, every time. It's the perfect time to take a shot deep but we've not done it once. I don't know if its a lack of faith in Cutler or the O-line to block for a deep route...or a combination of both.

3rd N Long likes this.
  18. hoops

hoops exited stage left

If these guys can't block for a heavy protect pa shot then they shouldn't be on the team. I don't see that. There is no run a guy over option playing on this oline no Dallas thomas level game wrecker this just keeps screaming to me little faith in cutler

And I'm telling ya any color regardless of what the blocking assignment is and he's gone. He has no faith in the protection and looks like a guy that won't take a hit to make a play.

19. artdnj

artdnj Time is Now Finheaven VIP

Play calling ia atrocious foe whatever reason l. Gase doesn't see it I guess.

3rd N Long likes this.
  20. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Look at the int play the tackles run the edge guys by wide he steps up but he drops his eye level and drops his head to just try and push forward. I mean what are you suppose to do when the guy won't go thru progressions from the pocket when the o clearly revolves around it

He's running into the backsides of his own damn blockers scared ****less

21. datruth55

datruth55 Starter Finheaven VIP

No he definitely doesn't want to get hit. He started bailing yesterday a couple of times from a clean pocket because he heard footsteps. Pretty much killed the play because of his aversion of contact.

22. hoops

hoops exited stage left

He's washed up is what he is. Done.

We aren't gonna be able to build a Great Wall of China around him.

Another year wasted. He's playing fairy football

23. hoops

hoops exited stage left

I got one qb that can't read coverage and another that's not willing to put his body on tbe line.

I got nothing

24. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Tennessee is running more late coverage shifts than we have seen. I'm pretty sure that's a dik lebeau d there's some late shifts etc mainly with the secondary.

25. Zounds

Zounds CPA4LYFE Donator

We knew these things about Cutler by halftime of game 2. He should have been benched then. We are now entering game 5 and nothing has changed. At some point the team is going to lose faith in the coach that insists on starting this fool.

26. phins_4_ever

phins_4_ever E12 FH Tailgate Gang Moderator Finheaven VIP

Gase is not benching Cutler. He is too loyal. He probably wouldn't even bench Cutler if half the team walks off. He will fill the roster with PS players and runs coke head Foerster out there.

Only change will happen if Cutler gets hurt.

lurking likes this.
  27. hoops

hoops exited stage left

He's playing qb like he runs 4.5

As in my head and eye level can drop at the slightest color and I can improvise and things will work out.

Then he throws a one hopper or some bail out bs at the shoe laces.

Go home jay and take matt Moore with you. I will play wildcat the rest of the season

Wasting jay Ajayi wasting this finally solid defense. Wasting my time

85 freaking yards with a entire game of 11 within 8 yards of the los. Wtf

25 plus attempts and 85 yards. Straight up garbage

Travis34, russianbear and lurking like this.
  28. nick1

Yes he's far too loyal.

29. Albert Romano

Albert Romano Super Donator Super Donator Finheaven VIP

2018?

30. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Yep and you are gonna win just enough games because of this defense that you won't be able to land a top pick qb without trading the farm.

Which means all the eggs in 2018 will be in Ryan tannehills knee. And likely some mid round rookie pick cause gase isn't gonna let himself be in this same no upside situation again.

Avigatorx likes this.
  31. Albert Romano

Defense has played better than expected so far, lets see if they can maintain and hold up, not an easy task especially if this O output continues.

I agree though, your going to have your number of epic suckage teams so unless your really bad not going to get one of those top picks.

32. hoops

hoops exited stage left

It's highly likely that given there is more traditional pocket qbs in this draft class teams are going to fall in love with them at the very top of the draft. This isn't some read option and pistol qb draft class if the kids come out.

You are gonna have to pay a hell of a price to go get one and you no longer have a 500 yards per clip d to help you get there when the qb play is horrid.

It's gonna be tanny in 2018 folks.

I don't think gase is in start over mode at qb either.

33. Albert Romano

As long as Ryan comes back and is fully healthy, im fine with it, can the FO draft well to help the other areas of the team?, big question mark.

Its going to take an injury to get Cutler replaced most likely though this year - not that the ceiling is much higher either way.

34. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Cutler will get hurt soon enough. He's playing not to. That never works out.

I got my eye on one qb as tanny insurance in trade should the draft thing not work out.

We need a pocket progression qb for this offense. Pre to post snap read guy

Avigatorx likes this.
  35. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

The fact that Gase took him on the 14,000 mile road trip that ended in London tells me that's what the plan is.

36. hoops

hoops exited stage left

I watched a qb last night who can't read coverage from tbe pocket for squat. The saving grace was the read option and he runs 4.5 and he doesn't run to contact.

Everybody and their mother going forward is gonna spy the qb and force him to make plays from the pocket.

Jay cutler is playing that kind of athlete game in a washed up arm and body and mindset that is don't touch me.

In a pocket progression offense.

It's a fail

Avigatorx likes this.
  37. Sherif

Sherif Pro Bowler

Gase sees no reason to try to score or put air under the ball unless we are losing by two scores. Otherwise, his play book is all at the line of scrimmage. Boring!

38. nick1

Watson? He's an elite QB prospect surely you aren't talking bad about him

39. hoops

hoops exited stage left

We definitely have to worry about the defense wearing down but gase is gonna limit it as much as possible by how he calls the game with either of these two jokers at qb.

The run d stays top half of the league we have the sub and zone blitz package to get off the field

40. TheWozz

TheWozz FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

With all due respect, I'm not seeing that. Cutler has enough time pretty regularly. He bails on the pocket prematurely and/or throws the ball without steeping into it. Lots of examples where he has a clean pockets and his accuracy is just poor or the throw is late. While the oline is ugh at best, he's terrible so far. And by no stretch of the imagination is this line even close to the the inept, steaming pile of cow dung that we put in front of Tannehill for the first 4-5 games last year.

lurking likes this.