It’s ‘put up or shut up’ time for run defense, says Wake, who explains why it should be better | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

It’s ‘put up or shut up’ time for run defense, says Wake, who explains why it should be better

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
cameron

“I think those guys will help, but also being able to key in on your responsibility over the last six weeks or 12 weeks or however long you want to consider it to be,” defensive end Cameron Wake said. “Those are the things that are going to make you or break you. It’s put up or shut up.”
Wake, now entering his ninth season, has been on really good run defense and really bad run defenses.
He’s been on teams with a ton of talent. And he’s been on teams that have been limited.
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article173621691.html#storylink=rss

The run defense will be fine if everyone sticks to their assignments, and that starts with the stars. Wake, Suh, Alonso, Jones...they have to be convinced that freelancing doesn't work consistently.

Wake has been on some very good run defense groups and it will be very important this year as I expect every game to be close in the 4th

How much better? They were ranked last so nowhere to go but up. We'll see improvement but I doubt it's significant, we only added one proven player who can hold his own there and that's Hayes. How many snaps will he get? As of now he isn't even listed as a starter. A lot of the time the front will be the same as last year, Wake, Suh, Phillips and Branch, and only one of these 4 are strong in this area. As for the rest a declining Timmons hasn't been good against the run in years, Kiko's never been good, I doubt it's a strength of Charles Harris in year 1, Reshad Jones was there for the first 7 or so games and it didn't matter....lol Mike Hull? We're basically banking on a rookie 5th round tackle to make a difference.

Last edited:
I really think the McMillan injury was a bigger blow than most realize. With him in the lineup, I feel we could be a decent run-stopping team, and our entire defense is really built to pass rush, so unless we can stop the run, we're kinda hosed. While Wake may take this upon his shoulders, I think it will be our LB corps that really makes the difference. While I like Hull, he's simply not good enough as a run stuffer IMHO, so I expect we'll be gashed in the run game as the Chargers consistently put a hat on Hull.

But, if we get penetration or they miss a throw here and there, they'll get behind the sticks. Then Wake & Co. have a chance to make a difference. I'll be watching to see how many 3rd and mid to longs we actually get off the field. If we can play well on those downs, we can definitely win this game.

I already know how our 3rd down defense works.. does not matter who we trot out there.

Last year, the offense needed to gel to start the year.

Quite Frankly, I see the same thing happening with this defense. But, maybe only one or two games.

I still think there's a high probability we play lights out with a few mistakes here and there.

Reshad, Timmons, Hayes, Kiko, Wake, Suh; These are some savvy ass vets that I have a ton of confidence in.

Back
Top Bottom