It's raining corners | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

It's raining corners

angry dolfan

Starter
Reaction score
Damn there's a lot of veteran corners without jobs. We should be able to fill some holes until we can draft a few good ones.

Who is the best out there for our budget assuming we go big in FA at LT and TE?

I'm hoping we are just taking our time and seeing who we can get for what amt and then eventually sign a decent CB and then one or two in the draft. I'm fine with drafting and developing guys, but I don't want to make the mistake of drafting two and basically having to start them both right away. Didn't work out so great for us last time we did it.

Brent Grimes would be fantastic. It would be a cherry on top to an amazing free agency.

I'm not to comfortable going into the season with what we have plus a high pick rookie. Definitely need a FA veteran.

EJ Biggers intrigues me from what I've seen of him, but I haven't seen much so I defer to others who have. Munnerlyn's name has floated around, too.

Though he doesn't solve the big boundary issue, the guy who strikes me as a great value signing is DJ Moore from Chicago. 4th-rounder, played some boundary his rookie year, then took over the nickel the last three seasons, which his size fits (5'9). He's 26 and has 10ints the past 3 seasons in a part-time role. He's quick and has good ball skills. Moore got pushed to 4th CB this year, imo, mostly because the Bears have very good corners in Tillman, Jennings, and a bigger more versatile slot guy in Kelvin Hayden. Going after Moore would depend on what the staff thinks of Patterson in terms of slot/boundary (really expensive to play nickel), but Moore would be cheaper and has a history of making plays.

Biggers and Munnerlyn are younger, but would they fit in this secondary. I don't know really. I would hope so, but don't know. I like both players.

We need corners in the draft. There are no very good corners left in free agency and this is a area where the very good ones want a lot of money, we cannot afford two "Wallace" contracts. We need young very good corners who are going to be here a while. After shoring up our WR position in Free Agency and after losing V Davis, S Smith and Richard Marshall being injured.

it brings zero to this discussion to discuss how good or not V Davis and S Smith were for us, it does not matter. That is the past. What matters is that they "were" our starting corners in a league where you need at least and really 4 good to great ones.

Look at our depth chart.

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/MIA

Our 3 "starting" corners are listed as Nolan Carroll, Dimitri Patterson and Julian Posey.

If you look at the rest of our depth chart we have improved everywhere. Some of it simply coming from some players like Tannehill, L Miller etc having one NFL season under their belt. Some from FAs we brought in.

I'd use 3 out of our first 5 picks on corners. I'd do another "V Davis/S Smith draft" which did serve us well for a time. Hopefully this time, we pick better players.

P.S. BIG CORNERS (please stay away from the 5'9"-5'10" ones)

I liked Biggers on film in 2012. He was solid. Disciplined, used his hands well, definitely can run and very agile. Not aggressive enough at times. Still an improving player. He has a history of playing poorly. But in 2012 especially with some scheme adjustments as Schiano came in, I thought he was better, more at home. I can't comment on Munnerlyn except to say his metrics are kind of average. I just haven't watched him on film.

If you're going by metrics instead of film then there are some bargains out there. Chris Owens has good perimeter metrics and I was a BIG fan of his coming out of San Jose State. He was a ball hawk there. But he's a little like Sean Smith in that he was a ball hawk in college and it hasn't translated to the pros. Good against the run though. Always positive marks there. Was a big time tackle accumulator in college. He's shown a tendency toward that in the pros as he's only had 1175 snaps in the pros but PFF has him down for 102 tackles. That makes him a lot like Antoine Winfield and Cortland Finnegan as far as his having a tendency to find the ball and make the tackle. Chris Owens is the kind of low price, high value acquisition that makes sense REGARDLESS of your plans at the position. Right there along side Bradley Fletcher, Antwan Barnes and Mike Goodson.

The cream of the crop would be Antoine Winfield despite his age, Brent Grimes if you're going to pretend his Achilles doesn't matter, and Pacman Jones if you can be relatively assured he's a good citizen nowadays. Whether you're looking on film or you're looking at the metrics, these guys are great on the perimeter and Winfield is also great from the slot. But the fact of the matter is...all of those cream of the crop guys have big time warts. Winfield is 36. Grimes is coming off the Achilles and he's always been a small guy that makes his living off explosiveness, so you really worry there. Pacman has a big time history of trouble and will find himself suspended if Goodell even catches a whiff of problems.

It makes me think the Dolphins should look for someone that doesn't have warts and if that means they've got to pay up a little bit for that, so be it. Sam Shields would be that guy. He's 25 years old and one of the fastest, most agile and explosive men in football. I always liked him at UM, he always flashed even though he was extremely new to the position. He came in and what he did as a rookie with the Packers was impressive. He followed up with a less impressive second year (where've you heard that before?) but a MUCH better third year. Legitimately good in 2012, both on film and on paper. Had 5 interceptions in only 12 games.

If the Dolphins were to sign him to an offer sheet and the Packers didn't match, they'd have to send their #42 pick to Green Bay. Could be worth it. Not sure you're getting better than Sam Shields at the #42 overall pick and anyone you sign in free agency at this point has some serious warts.

We have perhaps the best group of guys at cornerback right now...for a #3 CB position lol.

watching the Redskins every week, I like DeAngelo Hall a lot. He picked off Cutler 4 times.

We have to get at least one FA; whether it be Winfield, Hall or Grimes. But I like Sam Shields a lot too

I followed Moore at Vanderbilt, and the guy is a ballhawk. Very good with the ball in the air. Everything Sean Smith wasn't.

I definitely don't want him as a boundary corner, but he would provide much better value than Patterson.

Why is D. Patterson on the roster? Don't know much about him but he come with a 4 mil. cap hit. Need to improve this position ASAP. I think you need to add a FA as well as drafting a CB early. I trust Ireland has a plan for this position.

I liked Biggers on film in 2012. He was solid. Disciplined, used his hands well, definitely can run and very agile. Not aggressive enough at times. Still an improving player. He has a history of playing poorly. But in 2012 especially with some scheme adjustments as Schiano came in, I thought he was better, more at home. I can't comment on Munnerlyn except to say his metrics are kind of average. I just haven't watched him on film.

If you're going by metrics instead of film then there are some bargains out there. Chris Owens has good perimeter metrics and I was a BIG fan of his coming out of San Jose State. He was a ball hawk there. But he's a little like Sean Smith in that he was a ball hawk in college and it hasn't translated to the pros. Good against the run though. Always positive marks there. Was a big time tackle accumulator in college. He's shown a tendency toward that in the pros as he's only had 1175 snaps in the pros but PFF has him down for 102 tackles. That makes him a lot like Antoine Winfield and Cortland Finnegan as far as his having a tendency to find the ball and make the tackle. Chris Owens is the kind of low price, high value acquisition that makes sense REGARDLESS of your plans at the position. Right there along side Bradley Fletcher, Antwan Barnes and Mike Goodson.

The cream of the crop would be Antoine Winfield despite his age, Brent Grimes if you're going to pretend his Achilles doesn't matter, and Pacman Jones if you can be relatively assured he's a good citizen nowadays. Whether you're looking on film or you're looking at the metrics, these guys are great on the perimeter and Winfield is also great from the slot. But the fact of the matter is...all of those cream of the crop guys have big time warts. Winfield is 36. Grimes is coming off the Achilles and he's always been a small guy that makes his living off explosiveness, so you really worry there. Pacman has a big time history of trouble and will find himself suspended if Goodell even catches a whiff of problems.

It makes me think the Dolphins should look for someone that doesn't have warts and if that means they've got to pay up a little bit for that, so be it. Sam Shields would be that guy. He's 25 years old and one of the fastest, most agile and explosive men in football. I always liked him at UM, he always flashed even though he was extremely new to the position. He came in and what he did as a rookie with the Packers was impressive. He followed up with a less impressive second year (where've you heard that before?) but a MUCH better third year. Legitimately good in 2012, both on film and on paper. Had 5 interceptions in only 12 games.

If the Dolphins were to sign him to an offer sheet and the Packers didn't match, they'd have to send their #42 pick to Green Bay. Could be worth it. Not sure you're getting better than Sam Shields at the #42 overall pick and anyone you sign in free agency at this point has some serious warts.

I'd rather use our #47th pick and draft a corner. Sam Shields is a good idea, I'm on board with it but I just do not see it happening because I do not see the Packer's letting him go unless we make a huge offer, and we can to a certain extent, control what we do in the draft.

Back
Top Bottom