I've analyzed your 2003 & 2004 Caps (LONG) | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I've analyzed your 2003 & 2004 Caps (LONG)

Originally posted by Prime Time
I appreciate Clump doing this for us. We have guys here who have unofficial "jobs".

Clump - Cap
DCH - Info
Tatonka - Making fun of us :(
PrimeTime - Making this site SUPERCOOL :lol:

How could you forget about AJ? :lol:

AJ= finheaven.com period :tongue:

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: I've analyzed your 2003 & 2004 Caps (LONG)

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet

53 man roster

QB(3): Fiedler,Griese,Rosenfels
RB(4): R. Williams,Minor,Edwards,Rogers(KR)
FB(2): Konrad, Ayanbadejo
WR(5): Chambers,Thompson,Gadsden,Baker,Newson
TE(3): McMichael,Battaglia,D. Lee
OT(4): Dixon,Wade,W.Smith,Jerman
C/G(5): Ruddy,Perry,McKinney,Whitley,Andrew
K/P(2): Mare,Stemke

DE(5): Taylor,Ogunleye,J. Williams,D. Bowens,L.Williams
DT(4): T. Bowens,Chester,Zgonina,Burnett(DE)
OLB(4): Seau,Greenwood,E. Moore,Jenkins
MLB(3): Thomas,Hendricks,Seaverins(OLB)
CB(5): Surtain,Madison,Buckley,Fletcher,Lowe(S)
S(4): Knight,Marion,Freeman,Gamble

PS: WR Tolver, OT Provost, DT D. Williams, LB Hardmon, WR Bellamy
PUP: OL Nails, DB Y. Bell

Salary cap with 53 man roster, full 5 man PS, and PUP players as listed above:

The above roster would leave you $5,814,900 under the adjusted cap of $75,092713. This includes $59,676,731 for salaries and bonuses, $8,816,082 for "2003 dead cap", and $425,000 allocated for the practice squad

Noticeable cuts to create 2003 cap space:

McKnight($1.5 million), Dyer($450,000), Wooden($530,000), Royals($450,000), and McGarrahan($530,000). Together they saved $3.46 million on the 2003 cap and with Dyer & McKnight releases, it would save $2.45 million on the 2004 cap.

Good job! But:

McKnight will not get cut, and Baker and Newson will not both make the roster. Like someone stated earlier, Tolver is considered the 5th WR, on a team keeping 5. Baker is going to get his walking papers, solely based on his injury history, and coupled with Newson's availability to be put on P.S....which baker no longer can be.

But in the event McKnight is cut, he would only save the team 900,000 against this year's cap, not 1.5 Million, it would save 1.2 Million in 2004. Thats if he's released this offseason. If he's released next year, he'll count 800,000 against the cap, as opposed to the 2.2 Million he's slated to count for. A post June 1st 2004 release on mcknight would cost Miami 400,000 in cap hits in both 2004 and 2005!

Royals will not be cut, no matter how hard I pray for it to happen. Dave Wannstedts only mistake this offseason: Not drafting or signing OSU punter Andy Groom, who could be released after Tom Tupa's resigning in Tampa.

Nails will be active week, barring an injury.

McGarrahan is almost a lock to make this team as a special teamer. He is arguably the best player on those units. Your figure is almost dead on, he would save the team 496,000K immediately.

You have 7 LB's on the roster...that will not happen. Seau, Thomas, Greenwood, Moore, and Hendricks are locks, and its not even a lock Miami will keep 6, let alone 7. I do think they will end up with 6, but at this point speculating who that 6th will be is just a guess......which I don't want to do.

all in all clump, not bad....not bad at all.

A few more things I am gonna comment on, but I am tired. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: I've analyzed your 2003 & 2004 Caps (LONG)

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet

2) All RFAs and EFAs are tendered at the minimum. In 2003, that would be $605,000 for RFA and $375,000 for EFA. The only exception: DE Ogunleye. He would likely get a 1st rd tender that was $1.318 million in 2003.)

**Ogunleye: As stated above, I'll broach the idea that since the 1 yr tender is nearly $1.5 million, Fins could re-sign him in 2003 to long term deal and front load it into 2003

I am not trying to nitpick here Rab, just so your aware!

Ogun's tender was $375,000.

Also, just for the purpose of consuming you some time, neither party is looking for a contract extension this offseason. Miami isn't ready to pay him the big bucks he could command next year, while at the same time, Wally and Drew Rosenhaus are confident Wally will have a stellar season and thus his value will sky rocket.

Personally....I don't think Wally will be around after 2003.

Spielman is notorious about not paying roster bonuses so I wouldn't count on any of that happening for any of the players. If things do go badly I guarentee an overhaul of the mid tier players (Ruddy, Perry, Fielder, Griese, Bowens and Marion would all be turfed in that situation........even in a good run I couldn't see more then 2 being reworked). McKnight will probably be a June salary cut in 2004 depending on how drafting/FA goes. Next year is next year though so I'll worry about that then.

Either way it should be exciting cause there are a lot of mid tiered guys who got to be taken care of.

Originally posted by VanDolPhan
Spielman is notorious about not paying roster bonuses so I wouldn't count on any of that happening for any of the players. If things do go badly I guarentee an overhaul of the mid tier players (Ruddy, Perry, Fielder, Griese, Bowens and Marion would all be turfed in that situation........

Well of those guys, Perry, Ruddy, and Griese are absolute locks to be released, and only Griese stands a realistic shot of resigning.

Remember, if we had a quality left tackle....Perry would already be gone.

Perry's release will only save the team $600,000 if he's released in february, also he'll be 33 this coming season.

I think Perry could play long snapper as long as he wants to for his salary. Did you not learn something at the end of last season ? I think it was the Giants that put no value on the position.

And don't consider 7 LB's a long shot. That's four starters and 3 head hunters on special teams or vice versa. Either way, it is a possibility.

Originally posted by 1972dolphins
I think Perry could play long snapper as long as he wants to for his salary. Did you not learn something at the end of last season ? I think it was the Giants that put no value on the position.

And don't consider 7 LB's a long shot. That's four starters and 3 head hunters on special teams or vice versa. Either way, it is a possibility.

Thats Todd Perry were talking about, your thinking of Ed Perry, who as long as he keeps being able to snap like he does, is assured a spot on this roster for years.....that said, he's an unrestricted free agent after 2003.

As far as the 7 Lb's, it really is a certainity we won't keep that many. Hendrick's being the 5th LB, is on the roster for his special teams play already. McGarahan and Gamble are top notch ST's too, so its really hard to reserve that many spots for ST's, when you factor in the return men and kickers as well in your roster projections.

Oh...You're talking about the Perry that should have already been gone due to our acquisition of Kyle Turley..lol.....

is it snowing already up in Buffalo? My oh my, don't they have anything else to do other than to worry about OUR cap?

Ozzy rules!!

p.s. is a well thought out post by clump but still

to many numbers, mind is having a melt down. thank god i dont have to do that for a living(keeping us under the cap). good post tho clump, and good form on not letting the attacks get to ya, if you enjoy working the cap on your time, and sharing with us thats great. thanks for the effort whether your right or wrong. peace bro.

The numbers from ESPN are always so wrong it's not even funny.

Not so. They are the most accurate and detailed with contract information. The current Salary cap information given seems accurate too. Where they and most of the sport news media give poor information is with the cap savings for players who have been released.

This 94 million cap figure for 2004 does seem high but they did not really say what assumptions they were using.

Of the top 51 player contracts as of now 31 have contracts through 2004. Without workout bonuses and LTBE incentives I come up with $82 million for 2004.

All of the following players have contracts that expire in 2003. :

Sage Rosenfels
Greg Jerman
Jamie Nails
Todd Wade
Troy Andrew
Oronde Gadsden
Travis Minor
Robert Edwards
Obafemi Aynabadejo
Marco Battaglia
Ed Perry
Adewale Ogunleye
Rob Burnett
Morlon Greenwood
Tommy Hendricks
Terrell Buckley
Arturo Freeman
Shawn Wooden
Mark Royals
Charlie Rogers

The unsigned rookies are not included.
So there has to be some heavy duty incentives and assumptions taken.

Originally posted by Prime Time
I appreciate Clump doing this for us. We have guys here who have unofficial "jobs".

Clump - Cap
DCH - Info
Tatonka - Making fun of us :(
PrimeTime - Making this site SUPERCOOL :lol:

i resemble that statement! :D

there are actually a lot more people here, including fin fans, that dog your team more than me..

now if you were to say

Tatonka - sarcastically agrees with everything we say.

then.. i would have no problem with that. :evil:

Tatonka are u the one in MIami Herald that people started calling you tutongass..

Re: Re: I've analyzed your 2003 & 2004 Caps (LONG)

Originally posted by DOLFANMIKE

Clumps.......once again you amaze me. Thank you first off for all the hard work. This is on a subject that makes my head spin. But you really lay it out there and make it fairly easy to understand. Your work is much appreciated.

Don't trust him MIKE, he has forked tongue, he's the enemy! :D

In all seriousness although Clump must spend alot of time on this subject matter, he has been saying the Dolphins would be in cap hell for years. Or at least that's what I've been told. I'm starting to think he is more wishful that is the case than it actually being the case.

Oliver...

Back
Top Bottom