I've got Miami this weekend -2.5 points | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I've got Miami this weekend -2.5 points

aquatix

Cover Corner
Reaction score
Was that dumb? I don't think so... Not with our qb competition as well as RB. I dunno, what does everyone think?

Betting on preseason games where teams don't really play to win but play to see who should make the roster and who should start isn't a good idea. If I was a gambler, I would avoid making any bets until the regular season. I don't know if Miami will win this weekend and I don't really care either. What's important is how our players play, not how our team plays as a whole. The games don't matter until we play the Titans.

aquatix said:
Was that dumb? I don't think so... Not with our qb competition as well as RB. I dunno, what does everyone think?

I think it is always dumb to bet on a preseason game. Preseason games are decided by players who normally don't play, and the coaches aren't concerned about winning the game. Coaches are concerned about how an individual player will react in a given game situations...

But if you're going to bet, bet on the fins!!!

--Ross

I see us going 2-2 this preseason because that seems like what we always do. Will we win this weekend? Who knows. Do I really care? No. The fact is, I hate preseason.

Well we always lose to the Jags in the preseason I hear it cause I live by Jax and my cousin is a big Jags fan. It doesn't really bother me cause it doesn't mean anything.

You would have to be a gambling addict to place a serious bet on a preseason game. Coaches use preseason games to evaluate players....sometimes to evaluate who will take a 3rd string spot on the team. So, would you want to have a hefty bet riding on the game when its 4th Qtr, 30 seconds to go, behind by 3 points, 4th down on the opponents 15yd line, and Wanny chooses a running play because he wants to give Renaldo Works one more shot before he is sent to the practice squad?

aquatix said:
To be honest, man, that's not the wisest thing to do. Our team is undergoing so many changes... they will just be getting used to each other for these first few games. (And don't say that the same goes for our opponents, because we have a LOT more that is new... O coord., O line, RB by committee, competing QB's (one new), new receivers being worked out, etc.).

Another key element to note: our starting receivers (Chambers, Thompson, and Newson) may ALL be held out of the game completely, due to injuries. (See news article from today: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-dolphins13.1aug13,0,1098358.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front ).

aquatix said:

Yes, that was dumb. It's preseason football so it's pretty random as to what's going to happen. You might as well flip a coin and wager on heads or tails. The only thing that's certain is that both teams will be looking to avoid injuries more than anything else. Effectively, you're betting on whether our 3rd stringers are better than J-Ville's. If you can say with authority that they are...well...you're more a fan than I am. :)

Just look at the bears vs. Rams game. Barley anyone outside of Chicago would of predicted a regular season win for the Bears against St.Louis....too random to bet.

There are many serious bettors who make a majority of their money on preseason games. My understanding is that the successful bettors focus on the team motivations. For example, some coaches consider it important to win preseason games while others could care less. Levy was notorious for this. His excellent Buffalo teams lost most of their preseason games.

In this case, my guess is that Del Rio might be more focused on winning while Wanny might be more focused on avoiding injury to his starters. On the other hand, Wanny did say he expected the starting O to play more than in past preseasons and our reserve D players seem to be developing well. So, who knows.

I only bet $15 for the sake of betting on Miami, so it's no big deal. GO PHINS!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom