Jake long and Miami staying married | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jake long and Miami staying married

malzacher

Scout Team
Reaction score
Is it far fetched to think that Jake Long may take a new contract that is loaded on the back end to stay with Miami. If Long wants to stay in Miami and is a true competitor, he will. He's comin off a couple injury plagued seasons and there are questions whether he's still an elite LT in the NFL. If he does sign, I think it's because he's out to prove he's still one of the games best. It's possible he may want to stay with the hype surrounding Miami finally progressing. 40+mill in cap space, 5 early picks and a new coach who seems like he knows what he's doing and the closest thing to Dan Marino we've had around these part. ..makes sense

no. He's made his money as a #1 overall draft choice before the new CBA. His wife said they want to stay as LONG as they are wanted here (no pun intended)

So all they have to do is show interest and were Golden. Don't have to use a first or second on it :)

Long is looking to cash in again, this is more then likely his last chance at a big contract. We wants 10 million per year and I do not expect him to budge off that number. He is going where ever the money takes him IMO.

Yep, he's going to get as much money as possible and he should. Pro football players have an extremely short window of time to get as much money as possible, and I don't blame him - nor do I think he deserves top dollar to stay in Miami. My guess is somebody will offer him more than Miami is willing to pay, and that's where he'll end up next year.

Is it far fetched to think that Jake Long may take a new contract that is loaded on the back end to stay with Miami. If Long wants to stay in Miami and is a true competitor, he will. He's comin off a couple injury plagued seasons and there are questions whether he's still an elite LT in the NFL. If he does sign, I think it's because he's out to prove he's still one of the games best. It's possible he may want to stay with the hype surrounding Miami finally progressing. 40+mill in cap space, 5 early picks and a new coach who seems like he knows what he's doing and the closest thing to Dan Marino we've had around these part. ..makes sense

I wouldn't be opposed to it but in all honesty, i think Jonathan Martin should keep the left tackle position. He fits the scheme better, is the future, needs to stay at one position and learn it. Could Jake Long be a right tackle? I dont know. I do know that for a backloaded deal, i'd keep Long. HIGHLY doubt he's willing to take less money AND learn right tackle.

Intriguing idea but i think Jake is going for the biggest money possible.

If he isn't signed by the start of free agency, he won't be signed here

If he isn't signed by the start of free agency, he won't be signed here

Agreed. The last thing that is going to happen is Miami getting into a bidding war for Long. If he gives us the hometown discount, it's possible he's re-signed. If he's expecting a payday that eats up nearly a quarter of our cap space, adios Mr. Long.

Most likely another team will offer him more than we will. I dont think it will be that big of a loss.

Is there still a right of first refusal tag? The one where we can match another offer.

---------- Post added at 04:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 AM ----------

I know one thing. I hate losing a player in FA and spending 1st rd pick on his replacement. We do not gain improvement that way. I am hoping that we can tag and trade him still so we get something at least for him.

a one-year fix with the franchise tag seems the prudent thing to do. we have a ton of holes, esp at WR and DB. no sense in losing your LT and getting your developing 2nd year qb killed. where this gets sketchy is the true eval of his health.

why in the world would we want to backload a contract on a tackle who's play has trended down the last 2 years and finished both seasons on injured reserve???

a one-year fix with the franchise tag seems the prudent thing to do. we have a ton of holes, esp at WR and DB. no sense in losing your LT and getting your developing 2nd year qb killed. where this gets sketchy is the true eval of his health.

A 15 million tag is prudent?

He will be greedy, he has already made 60 million from the Fins. He could easily afford a home town discount. No one is asking him to work for peanuts. Just not ten million a year. It is always about the money with these guys.

Keep showing his greedy little agent the play where he is totally blown up by Meriman over and over. Throw in freney eating his lunch.

Back
Top Bottom