Jake long and Miami staying married

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by malzacher, Feb 11, 2013.

1. malzacher

malzacher Scout Team

Is it far fetched to think that Jake Long may take a new contract that is loaded on the back end to stay with Miami. If Long wants to stay in Miami and is a true competitor, he will. He's comin off a couple injury plagued seasons and there are questions whether he's still an elite LT in the NFL. If he does sign, I think it's because he's out to prove he's still one of the games best. It's possible he may want to stay with the hype surrounding Miami finally progressing. 40+mill in cap space, 5 early picks and a new coach who seems like he knows what he's doing and the closest thing to Dan Marino we've had around these part. ..makes sense

2. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

no. He's made his money as a #1 overall draft choice before the new CBA. His wife said they want to stay as LONG as they are wanted here (no pun intended)

3. malzacher

malzacher Scout Team

So all they have to do is show interest and were Golden. Don't have to use a first or second on it :)

4. Thumper1016

Thumper1016 A True Fan

Long is looking to cash in again, this is more then likely his last chance at a big contract. We wants 10 million per year and I do not expect him to budge off that number. He is going where ever the money takes him IMO.

5. Patrick_Bateman

Patrick_Bateman Rookie

Yep, he's going to get as much money as possible and he should. Pro football players have an extremely short window of time to get as much money as possible, and I don't blame him - nor do I think he deserves top dollar to stay in Miami. My guess is somebody will offer him more than Miami is willing to pay, and that's where he'll end up next year.

6. dcnr226

dcnr226 A True Fan Donator

I wouldn't be opposed to it but in all honesty, i think Jonathan Martin should keep the left tackle position. He fits the scheme better, is the future, needs to stay at one position and learn it. Could Jake Long be a right tackle? I dont know. I do know that for a backloaded deal, i'd keep Long. HIGHLY doubt he's willing to take less money AND learn right tackle.

Intriguing idea but i think Jake is going for the biggest money possible.

7. rent this space

rent this space Starter Finheaven VIP

If he isn't signed by the start of free agency, he won't be signed here

8. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs foos-ball is the devil! Donator

Agreed. The last thing that is going to happen is Miami getting into a bidding war for Long. If he gives us the hometown discount, it's possible he's re-signed. If he's expecting a payday that eats up nearly a quarter of our cap space, adios Mr. Long.

9. Miami1

Miami1 Starter

Most likely another team will offer him more than we will. I dont think it will be that big of a loss.

10. jetsh8r

jetsh8r A True Fan

Is there still a right of first refusal tag? The one where we can match another offer.

---------- Post added at 04:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 AM ----------

I know one thing. I hate losing a player in FA and spending 1st rd pick on his replacement. We do not gain improvement that way. I am hoping that we can tag and trade him still so we get something at least for him.

11. Tannchise

Tannchise A True Fan

a one-year fix with the franchise tag seems the prudent thing to do. we have a ton of holes, esp at WR and DB. no sense in losing your LT and getting your developing 2nd year qb killed. where this gets sketchy is the true eval of his health.

12. hoops

hoops exited stage left

why in the world would we want to backload a contract on a tackle who's play has trended down the last 2 years and finished both seasons on injured reserve???

13. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

A 15 million tag is prudent?

14. PBay Fin Fan

PBay Fin Fan Well-Known Member

He will be greedy, he has already made 60 million from the Fins. He could easily afford a home town discount. No one is asking him to work for peanuts. Just not ten million a year. It is always about the money with these guys.

15. PBay Fin Fan

PBay Fin Fan Well-Known Member

Keep showing his greedy little agent the play where he is totally blown up by Meriman over and over. Throw in freney eating his lunch.

16. RockyMtnPhinfan

RockyMtnPhinfan A True Fan Donator

Can you say C O L T S??? I think this is where he goes.

---------- Post added at 07:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 AM ----------

Better 15 and find out if he stays injury prone than sign him to 30 guaranteed and have him go on IR for rest of his career.

17. 13Dolfan87

13Dolfan87 Scout Team Donator

Like every other free agent, Jake wants to get paid.

18. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 TANNERECTION!!!! Donator

Jake Long is not going to get big money. Once he comes to that realization the Dolphins can sign him to a performance based contract with incentives, that is fair market value. That would be the only way I see Miami bringing him back but I'm not holding my breath.

19. DANTODUPER

DANTODUPER Scout Team

I really doubt the COLTS are willing to pay him after they saw Freeney destroying Long year after year!!!!

20. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

last word was ireland still working on him. everyone wants to get rid of jake without a real solution to the new problem. thats what bothers me. patterson ismuch needed#1 but left tackle can wait.......not a good answer.

21. iambanned

iambanned A True Fan

Good point about the franchise tag there ^^^^. If you signed him to a multi-year deal, you still have to figure the signing bonus. I just don't see how you could avoid keeping him and paying him less than 15 million dollars THIS YEAR, even if the signing bonus doesn't count against the cap. The signing bonus is really the only guaranteed money the player gets beyond the first year salary. In year 2 the player could get cut and the rest of that contract is just toilet paper to wipe his buttocks with.

If you let Long walk, you let him walk because you truly don't believe he can play well anymore. He wouldn't take a one year deal so a huge signing bonus would be the discussion.

22. spiketex

spiketex Kiko Alonso - El Bravo 47 the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

Jonathan Martin was a good draft pick. For years we have lived in fear of what could happen if Big Jake missed games through injury. And it happened at the tail end of last season and Martin handled the responsibility pretty well. Long is a good O lineman but his best days appear to be behind him. I expect JI to let him walk.

23. TealAttack13

TealAttack13 A True Fan

Long is going to want his money up front, especially with his injured past. No chance he signs something back loaded, and why would we want to? Suppose he's so injury ridden he hardly plays. You want a bunch of money taking up cap space to pay a guy to wear a suit and eat pretzels in the press box? No thanks.

24. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

$15.36 million a year for Jake Long will never be prudent

25. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

[​IMG]

26. finforlife

finforlife FinHeaven VIP

I remember some of these same issues with Richmond Webb in 2001 when he was a FA. The Phins let him walk and spent the next six years (and about 6 different guys) trying to replace him, mostly with disastrous results.

I don't think we should be so quick to give up on a guy who has provided stability at a position that was clearly lacking stability until he got there.

27. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

Do you remember what Webb did after leaving the Dolphins?

28. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

You really need to change the title of this thread and not have it stating like a fact that this has happened.

29. finforlife

finforlife FinHeaven VIP

Webb was 4 years older than Long. My point is that when you have something that's working, I don't know if you should mess with it.

30. jlfin

jlfin old pro

That's just it. It's NOT working. He is not an elite LT anymore. He made a lot of money from this team prior to the rookie pay scale. He was more than well compensated. As far as I'm concerned he should pay some of that money back for his play the last 2 yrs. I know that will never happen, but he should be realistic in his current contract negotiation. I doubt any team will pay him an 8 figure annual salary.

31. dolp1972

dolp1972 Well-Known Member

Agree Patrick, think he is going for the money, but if he gives a hometown discount and the contract can be backloaded then welcome back.....