Jake long article on profootballtalk.com

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by slosh13, Mar 3, 2013.

1. slosh13

slosh13 Scout Team Donator

2. flynryan15

flynryan15 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Jake Wrong has quickly become A Big White Elephant!

3. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

Seriously? Long has been a good player for us who always gave it his all, no need to be like that about a guy just because we don't want him anymore, I wish Jake well, when healthy he was an awesome player for us.

Interesting that he may not be able to get the cash he is targeting.

4. flynryan15

I have called him Wrong from the beginning and don't expect me to stop now! Wrong and the philosophy that picked him set this team back 5 years!

5. circumstances

circumstances Starter

we want him. just not for anywhere near what he's asking. hopefully nobody goes nuts with an offer in free agency, and with his familiarity here and no state income tax, they can work out a deal for him to stay.

6. cljh19

cljh19 Starter

Lower price, more likely he returns. Would love to see Long accept a 3 year deal and try collecting the cash then.

7. flynryan15

Can we call Jake a elite right tackle now?

8. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 Smoke 'em Jay Finheaven VIP

Don't be surprised if Jake doesn't wind up back in Miami after not getting the money he is looking for. If he does, I would be wiling to bet he will move to the right side. He played that side his first year at Michigan and if I recall correctly, he once commented he likes the right side better.

9. WVDolphan

WVDolphan Banned Hammered

Hey, if the guy would consider playing RT and taking money that is somewhere around 75% average of the top value at that position then I would reconsider him.

It will be funny if he goes out on the market and the best offer he gets is around average LT money. If he came back with that kind of offer for us I still wouldnt bring him back. The guy is a pretty solid run blocker who gets injured too often. End of story. Id give him above average RT money if he wanted to play that position.

10. GoonBoss

GoonBoss Finheaven Templar Super Donator Donator

Pretty much. The guy simply can't hold the LT spot down like what is needed.

No shame in shifting positions. There's just a reality that you have to live with.

I can't do the stuff I did at 24 now that I'm 45, but I still have lots to offer.

It's just how life and employment goes.

11. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Paint on My Hands from Paintin the Perfect Picture Finheaven VIP Donator

I think Jake will either have to take A. A long term deal that is in the 7 to 8 million dollar mark (with injury clauses) or take a short term deal to prove his health before attempting to get paid in the next offseason or 2. Good thing for Jake is, he's in his prime so he has time to prove his health to the league. There is no way he's getting a 10 million dollar plus contract after the performance he gave last year and clearly health has been an issue since 2010. And the notion that some people want to franchise him is a complete joke . . . 15.3 million? Hell to the naw

He's not even a great fit for the offense we run . . . I have no problems letting him walk . . . and I like the guy.

12. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

Jake is NOT an elite left tackle now so he certainly doesn't deserve to be paid like one. He is NOT the player he was several years ago. Injuries have taken their toll on him and he should get that through his head!!! He was not even a top 10 offensive tackle in 2012.

13. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

If Lane Johnson makes it to 12, he is ours.

14. Geforce

Geforce FinHeaven VIP

Jake played the right side his first TWO years at Michigan because they already had a two-time All-Conference LT in Adam Stenavich ahead of him.

At to the last part of your post...Jake did a Q&A with the Sun-Sentinel from the Combine and this is what he said about playing LT.
    http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2008/02/combine-report.html

15. DefensiveEnd76

He may have proved himself several years ago but again, he is NOT nearly the player he use to be. After all the injuries he's had, he will never be the same again.

16. Geforce

Geforce FinHeaven VIP

I don't think anyone, except Jake Long and his agent, would dispute that.

17. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Between Jake "Wrong & Matty "Melt" The Ravens turned out to be the smartest first round drafters in '08- not even factoring in the value aspect, eh?

Ozzie Newsome: snatches the best player in that draft after running the risk of losing a rotund DC by passing over him to hire an ST coach. Now that's my kind of GM!

For the record, now that we've had our fun, Jake is who is is because of Morono's playing him in a useless exhibition game 4 and Matty in perspective, is no where as melty as he is when it counts most.

18. fishfanmiami

fishfanmiami Have you seen junior's grades ? Moderator Finheaven VIP

Is there any possibility of a sign and trade then using that pick on another tackle in the draft ? What could we get for him ?
    I'd hate to lose Jake , the 1st over all pick , with no compensation.

19. DefensiveEnd76

Would be nice to do a sign and trade but doubt that happens. No team would give up a 1st round pick for him.

20. DefensiveEnd76

Imagine if we could fetch a 3rd round pick for Jake and then get a 4th round compensatory pick. 8 picks in the first 4 rounds of the draft would be outstanding!!

21. fishfanmiami

How about a high 2nd this year and a conditional pick next year ? Could be a 1st if he goes to the probowl.

Something is better than nothing.

22. Geforce

Geforce FinHeaven VIP

I agree. It's not trading of Jake that would be problem, it's the signing of Long to a contract that all parties involved would agree on.

23. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Yea we are not getting anything for Long, that ship sailed last year

24. BassFin

BassFin Starter

For those saying Jake Long sucked last year, you have been spoiled by just how good he has been for us. As "bad" as he was last year, he's still one of the better LTs in the game.

That being said, he seems to be breaking down (thanks Tony Sparano) and he does not really fit the scheme if the team now so he is not a priority. I don't think he will get the contract he is looking for from the Fins or any other team.

It's sad really. The guy was a very good player who gave it his all the whole game. Maybe he can prove people wrong, but I don't think it will be in Miami.

Don't be shocked if an OT is picked in round 1 this year. May be the position with the BPA.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

25. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Long is a good LT p[roblem is he wants to get paid like a great one

26. WVDolphan

WVDolphan Banned Hammered

Yep. You and I were two of the few beating that drum as soon as we drafted Martin.

There was really no point in keeping Long to play a season in which nobody expected us to win a title, then letting him walk after his contract is up. We couldve gotten some fool to fork over a 3rd rounder or so for Long last year.

And why do people keep bringing up sign and trades around here? This isnt the NBA. I keep seeing posts like that though.

27. MrEd

MrEd Banned Hammered

What is the answer to Long's replacement? This is what I kind of don't get. Any of the OTs available [that would be worth a damn] are going to cost us probably just under what he'll cost, so I'm just curious what type of "alternative" do we have? Please stop it on the Lane Johnson stuff as he's going a pick before us at the latest. So, what's the "FA" alternative to re-signing Jake Long?

28. flynryan15

Matty Ice is was a play or two from being in the Superbowl Jake Wrong is broken down junk! Five years later the first overall pick doesn't command a tag and teams are talking a position switch. Do you really think ATL won't tag Matt Ryan the minute it becomes a option? Do you really think Matt Ryan won't become the highest paid player in the NFL next year? And if ATL didn't resign or tag Ryan teams would be falling over themselves to break the bank for him and they won't be talking about him switching positions! It isn't even a debate Vark ATL is averaging over 10 wins a season since drafting Ryan and we are 4 out of 5 losing seasons 4 in a row! It was the Wrong pick the Wrong Philosophy and The Wrong people pulling the trigger!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2013
  29. MrEd

MrEd Banned Hammered

Flynryan, I get that. I was on the Matt Ryan train too that year. But it is what it is. We have Ryan Tannehill for good or for worse. What is the alternative to re-signing Jake Long? Do we really expect Andre Smith will cost all that much "less" than what Long will cost? Albert? They are going to command similar contracts. Would you really advocate Gosder Cherilus on the right with Colombo part deux Martin on the left over Long?

30. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Flacco, who's now 9-4 in the postseason (not 1-4), also was 1 receiver botched play away from the SB in '11. Hell, Wilson's won as many PO games as Melty and was only 2pts away from the SB. For that matter Alex Smith was also a play away from the SB in '11 and wasn't he just traded for a 2nd and a conditional? For Melty, too bad the conference championship wasn't only the first 2 qtrs.. otherwise he'd have made it instead of scoring 10 points in the last 2 qtrs of the first game and zero in the second 2qtrs of the conference game. Color me unimpressed. Again, maybe Jake was "wrong" as compared to Melty, but Melty was "wrong" as compared to Flacco who obviously and certifiably possesses the "clutch" gene!

Again, since hindsight's always 20/20, the move would have been to grab Jake (pre-Sparano ruination by useless exhibition game) and then trade up to leapfrog Baltimore for Flacco. Hell, using the looking glass, a case can be made that even at #1, Flacco would have been the "right" pick.

31. xXwarXx

xXwarXx Banned Hammered

I'm against overpaying any offensive line player, I also think this new hard cap will drive down there prices. Considering you need 5 players on your oline, it's hard to justify paying through the roof on a long Term deal for one guy, no matter how good they are.

I really just can't fathom how any team can look at one player on there oline and hand them a 9-10 million dollar contract anymore.

32. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin PowerHungryMo'fo

If Jake Long had some balls, he'd take a below market 1 year deal. Get healthy, stay healthy, then cash out after proving hes truly back to form.

33. fishfanmiami

Too much B B lately I guess :lol:

i just hate the thought of getting nothing for a 1st overall pick.

Draft this guy in the 2nd round and give him #77 ... We won't even have to order new jerseys.

[TABLE="width: 100%"]

[TD="class: rank, width: 18%, align: center"]37[​IMG][/TD]
    [TD="class: logo, width: 10%, align: center"][​IMG][/TD]
    [TD="width: 62%"][TABLE="width: 100%"]

[TD="class: team_name"]Kyle Long[/TD]

[TD="class: team_record"]Oregon, senior[/TD]

[TD="class: team_record"]6-6, 313[/TD]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [/TABLE]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2013
  34. normaniii

normaniii A True Fan

Im against re-signing Jake Long to massive money, but if he is available for decent price we have to re-sign him.

The people saying just slide Martin to LT are not living in reality. Martin was not even in the top 64 rated OT tackles last year!

I love Jake Long. The guy was ruined by Sparano when he was asked to play through inury in nothing games at the end of 2010 season.

Jake Long has played through injury and will continue to put his body on the line and be a team leader for whatever team signs him. In my mind he makes others around him better. Granted, at the moment he is no longer elite, but lets not take the piss with moronic titles like Jake Wrong. Show the guy some respect for what he has done for this franchise.