Jake Long vs. Matt Ryan | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jake Long vs. Matt Ryan

rlurie

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Our first game is going to be fun to watch!

I was in the camp of wanting to draft Matt Ryan, nothing against Jake Long but when you can get a franchise QB, you take it.

It will be interesting to watch Matt Ryan play against us and truly watch his skills. No doubt do I think Jake Long won't be a pillar at left tackle for us but it's certainly more fun to watch a franchise QB than a LT.

Anyone else wish we would have taken Matt Ryan?

I was in the camp of wanting to draft Matt Ryan, nothing against Jake Long but when you can get a franchise QB, you take it.

I agree 100% but I didn't think Matt Ryan was going to be that good coming out of college and apparently Parcells and Co. didn't either. If they knew what they know now then I really don't think there's any question that Matt Ryan would be a Phin.

True. But very few believed Matt Ryan to be a Franchise QB.

The talk on this board was mostly Jake or Chris Long and Vernon Ghoulston. Very FEW in here were saying Matt Ryan to me knowldge

It will be interesting to watch Matt Ryan play against us and truly watch his skills. No doubt do I think Jake Long won't be a pillar at left tackle for us but it's certainly more fun to watch a franchise QB than a LT.

Anyone else wish we would have taken Matt Ryan?

We made the right call, if we had taken Ryan, we would not have gotten a tackle in the same zip code as Long, while in getting Long, I believe we might have gotten a QB close to as good as Ryan in Henne, but that is still to be decided, as he really didn't have a good game 3....1 & 2 looked good though.

I am still not convinced that Ryan is a franchise QB. I'll reserve judgement till after this season.

We made the "safe" pick. In retrospect it wasn't the "best" pick. The question wouldn't matter if Henne was looking like a real Pro QB. If Henne continues to sag it will be second guessed forever...

I am sure of one thing, Parcells, Ireland and Sparano all regret not taking Ryan.

When you don't have a QB and you pass on a franchise QB at the top of the draft, its a mistake no matter how you draw it up. Jake Long hasn't exactly set the world on fire in the preseason. He's getting beat way to much.

All that said, Jake is still a good player although after yesterday my opinion of Henne is shifting back towards what I thought of him at Michigan....which coming from a Buckeye fan is not good.

Not giving up on him but sure it would be sweet to have Ryan after the fact but life doesn't work that way. I wasn't on Ryan's bandwagon so I can't even claim to be an i told you soer. I wanted Chris Long.

I like to analogize the 2008 NFL Draft to the 1984 NBA Draft.

In 1984, the NBA draft went like this:
1. Hakeem Olajuwan - Houston Rockets
2. Sam Bowie - Portland Trailblazers
3. Michael Jordan - Chicago Bulls

In 2008, the NFL draft went like this:
1. Jake Long - Miami Dolphins
2. Chris Long - St. Louis Rams
3. Matt Ryan - Atlanta Falcons

Do the Rockets regret not taking Michael Jordan? Of course! Do they lie awake at night, kicking themselves for passing on Jordan? Probably not. Hakeem got them 2 rings. The Rockets went with the "safe" pick and took a Center. Miami followed the same strategy.

Of course, this analogy is flawed, cause Jordan ended up being the greatest of all time. And cause the book on Jake Long and Matt Ryan is yet to be written.

But I think you get my point.

It's a crapshoot. I don't think too many thought Matt Ryan would be a franchise QB - those of you who were clamoring for him weren't doing so because you have some skill at talent evaluation - you just wanted the best QB in that draft.

Many thought Alex Smith would be a franchise QB. Many thought Matt Leinart would be. Who's doing the best out of that QB first round draft class? The guy that sat in the green room for ages until Green Bay took him at 20-something - Aaron Rodgers. Sometimes you just never know - and hindsight is always 20/20.

Spending a high pick on a franchise QB is a huuuge risk and if you miss (e.g. Alex Smith), it sets you back for years. When you're rebuilding a team, you don't take risks on a position with a high bust potential with your #1 pick. Jake Long will always be the better and smarter and right pick regardless of how good Matt Ryan becomes.

I remember people claiming that John Beck was the same if not better then Matt Ryan. I also remember the FO saying that Jake long was the Safest pick. They believed that they new what they were getting with Jake Long

I totally agree that this can't even be looked at until years down the road but, BUT...I try to think back about who the heck was going to be our QB when we didn't have Pennington??? Were they really thinking that Beck was going to be the starter last year?

Where would we have been last season by not getting Pennington when we could have had Matt Ryan?

This is all premature but I'm excited to watch our first game against the Falcons just to see what it would have been like to have Ryan on our side.

I think this is a ridiculous statement because even the so called "experts" don't REALLY know who is going to become a franchise QB. Look at Tony Romo, then look at Ryan Leaf.
Jake Long made the probowl and honestly should have made it without having to be an alternate to a terrible Jason Peters. That was enough, in my book, to never question that we made a great draft pick. We did, and i think he's awesome. :hump:

Long Vs. Ryan.. It's like apples and oranges to me. May come from the same draft but somehow I don't equate the 2.

It's Our D Vs. Ryan, and our O line Vs. their D line. IMO anyway.

Knowing our luck we would have selected Ryan, and Ryan would have had troubles and then people would complain that we should have taken Long.

Back
Top Bottom