Jake Long vs. Matt Ryan

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by rlurie, Aug 28, 2009.

Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
  1. rlurie

rlurie Well-Known Member

Our first game is going to be fun to watch!

I was in the camp of wanting to draft Matt Ryan, nothing against Jake Long but when you can get a franchise QB, you take it.

It will be interesting to watch Matt Ryan play against us and truly watch his skills. No doubt do I think Jake Long won't be a pillar at left tackle for us but it's certainly more fun to watch a franchise QB than a LT.

Anyone else wish we would have taken Matt Ryan?

2. outlawd2u

outlawd2u Pro Bowler

I agree 100% but I didn't think Matt Ryan was going to be that good coming out of college and apparently Parcells and Co. didn't either. If they knew what they know now then I really don't think there's any question that Matt Ryan would be a Phin.

3. GRYPHONK

GRYPHONK Pro Bowler

True. But very few believed Matt Ryan to be a Franchise QB.

The talk on this board was mostly Jake or Chris Long and Vernon Ghoulston. Very FEW in here were saying Matt Ryan to me knowldge

4. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

We made the right call, if we had taken Ryan, we would not have gotten a tackle in the same zip code as Long, while in getting Long, I believe we might have gotten a QB close to as good as Ryan in Henne, but that is still to be decided, as he really didn't have a good game 3....1 & 2 looked good though.

5. Swantoon

Swantoon A True Fan

I am still not convinced that Ryan is a franchise QB. I'll reserve judgement till after this season.

6. finner

finner Starter

We made the "safe" pick. In retrospect it wasn't the "best" pick. The question wouldn't matter if Henne was looking like a real Pro QB. If Henne continues to sag it will be second guessed forever...

7. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

I am sure of one thing, Parcells, Ireland and Sparano all regret not taking Ryan.

When you don't have a QB and you pass on a franchise QB at the top of the draft, its a mistake no matter how you draw it up. Jake Long hasn't exactly set the world on fire in the preseason. He's getting beat way to much.

All that said, Jake is still a good player although after yesterday my opinion of Henne is shifting back towards what I thought of him at Michigan....which coming from a Buckeye fan is not good.

Not giving up on him but sure it would be sweet to have Ryan after the fact but life doesn't work that way. I wasn't on Ryan's bandwagon so I can't even claim to be an i told you soer. I wanted Chris Long.

8. Gardenhead

Gardenhead Pro Bowler

I like to analogize the 2008 NFL Draft to the 1984 NBA Draft.

In 1984, the NBA draft went like this:
    1. Hakeem Olajuwan - Houston Rockets
    2. Sam Bowie - Portland Trailblazers
    3. Michael Jordan - Chicago Bulls

In 2008, the NFL draft went like this:
    1. Jake Long - Miami Dolphins
    2. Chris Long - St. Louis Rams
    3. Matt Ryan - Atlanta Falcons

Do the Rockets regret not taking Michael Jordan? Of course! Do they lie awake at night, kicking themselves for passing on Jordan? Probably not. Hakeem got them 2 rings. The Rockets went with the "safe" pick and took a Center. Miami followed the same strategy.

Of course, this analogy is flawed, cause Jordan ended up being the greatest of all time. And cause the book on Jake Long and Matt Ryan is yet to be written.

But I think you get my point.

RoninFin4 likes this.
  9. oasis

oasis Lost in the fog

It's a crapshoot. I don't think too many thought Matt Ryan would be a franchise QB - those of you who were clamoring for him weren't doing so because you have some skill at talent evaluation - you just wanted the best QB in that draft.

Many thought Alex Smith would be a franchise QB. Many thought Matt Leinart would be. Who's doing the best out of that QB first round draft class? The guy that sat in the green room for ages until Green Bay took him at 20-something - Aaron Rodgers. Sometimes you just never know - and hindsight is always 20/20.

Spending a high pick on a franchise QB is a huuuge risk and if you miss (e.g. Alex Smith), it sets you back for years. When you're rebuilding a team, you don't take risks on a position with a high bust potential with your #1 pick. Jake Long will always be the better and smarter and right pick regardless of how good Matt Ryan becomes.

Kiick72 likes this.
  10. The Furminister

The Furminister The Juggernaut

I remember people claiming that John Beck was the same if not better then Matt Ryan. I also remember the FO saying that Jake long was the Safest pick. They believed that they new what they were getting with Jake Long

11. rlurie

rlurie Well-Known Member

I totally agree that this can't even be looked at until years down the road but, BUT...I try to think back about who the heck was going to be our QB when we didn't have Pennington??? Were they really thinking that Beck was going to be the starter last year?

Where would we have been last season by not getting Pennington when we could have had Matt Ryan?

This is all premature but I'm excited to watch our first game against the Falcons just to see what it would have been like to have Ryan on our side.

12. RockyMtnPhinfan

RockyMtnPhinfan A True Fan Donator

13. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

14. Canadianfishfan

Canadianfishfan FinHeavean VIP

Long Vs. Ryan.. It's like apples and oranges to me. May come from the same draft but somehow I don't equate the 2.

It's Our D Vs. Ryan, and our O line Vs. their D line. IMO anyway.

15. eger

eger Starter

Knowing our luck we would have selected Ryan, and Ryan would have had troubles and then people would complain that we should have taken Long.

16. ArmyFin7

ArmyFin7 U cry about the $$$, we do the dirtywork

It's easy to look back and 2nd qguess....but I look at it like this....take the team we had last yr, remove Long, slide Carey to LT and stick Ndukewe at RT....how much success would Ryan have had??

Not to mention when your at stage 1 of a rebuild, the last thing you can afford to do is miss on a QB! Imagine paying Beck $50mil.....

Truth is, we will never know how it could have played out, I am satisfied with the way it did though.

17. Strangeworld

Strangeworld A True Fan

Listen If Ryan lights us up in week one, goes on to be a perennial pro bowler, and Henne does not pan out this will go down as one of the biggest blunders in franchise history.

18. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

No.

19. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

[​IMG]

It's not about Henne. He fell into our lap at 56.. he was not plan 1A... or 1B for that matter. Doesn't matter how he works out. It was and is about selecting our ProBowl LT vs. Ryan. Aside from Mayock, who's a friend of the Ryan family and a former BC player, I don't recall anyone else slurping Ryan as an obvious "franchise" QB. A highly rated one, despite his spate of interceptions, yes, but not as compelling a choice as either Long or Dorsey.

IMO that's no different from us passing TWICE on Drew Brees, maybe one of the top 3 NFL QBs.. especially when we took Fletcher at 26 instead. The first time we just didn't know, although we should have speculated he might be a cut above average. The second time was unforgivable.

Will Ryan turn out to be a franchise QB? No denying he's been impressive so far but only time will tell. Since White caught 40% of his passing yardage (still averaging only 1 TD a game), I'd be interested to see how well he'd do without Turner or White.. 2 offensive weapons we did not, and do not have presently. I bemoan passing up Brees twice, more than I do passing up Ryan to take the closest thing to a "sure thing" to be the linchpin in our offense. Hindsight's 20/20.

20. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

I didn't want Ryan, not at #1. He fit some categories that typically align with NFL success, like number of college starts and completion percentage. But he also fell into a few categories that indicate overrated and potential bust: Premier pick who was not rated very high entering his senior year; Interceptions; Less than ideal arm strength.

I was very surprised by his rookie year, nearly 8 YPPA, outstanding. But I'll stubbornly wait for it to replay. Maybe the subjective types who gushed over Ryan got this one right. But in the long run they'll flop repeatedly if they ignore long term foundational problems and over value the most recent season or handful of games. Parcells and Co. took the route that will pay off handsomely if they apply it position after position every year.

Remember, the Falcons are in the same category as us, likely to regress to the mean after a huge victory uptick in 2008. I'm not conceding anything to them, or Ryan.

21. rlurie

rlurie Well-Known Member

I have only looked at his stats and a preseason game this year as to what type of player he is. After watching him play in a preseason game the other night though, I was VERY impressed. His arm strength, awareness and decision making was outstanding. His arm strength and accuracy is what impressed me the most though.

My major question though is, if it wasn't for Penny, who were we going to have as our QB? Was Beck really going to be our starter last year?

22. X-Pacolypse

X-Pacolypse A True Fan

Sparano admitted that Henne would have been the starter.

23. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Well lucky for us Jake will be more beneficial to the Dolphins then the dream ever was to Houston, and Matt will never...ever....ever be in the same league as Jordan.

We made the right call, and those that do not believe it, watch Matty Ice in year 2, and see if he melts or continues to impress.

24. sharp

sharp Scout Team

When you have the chance to draft a franchise Left Tackle you take it. Ryan was no different from Alex Smith that went number 1 overall. Just right place, right system, right time. The real question is franchise left tackle vs franchise qb. Not you take the first QB that the 'experts' believe is the best.

25. TedSlimmJr

TedSlimmJr Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

LMAO...you guys are funny...

If you're going to take a left tackle #1 overall in the draft over the franchise quarterback....then the left tackle you select should AT LEAST be the best left tackle in the draft...Jake Long wasn't even that IMO....and thusfar...still hasn't proven to be...

I had Matt Ryan as the best QB in the draft 7 months before the draft even occured...when all the talking heads were slurping Brian Brohm and Colt Brennan...

There's a difference between a system quarterback and an NFL quarterback when projecting their skills to the next level....it's actually quite easy to tell the difference if you know what you're looking at...

You don't draft a quarterback that early with the expectation of making the playoffs that season....especially when you're coming off a 1-15 season....so a 1st round exit from the playoffs with Pennington doesn't justify anything...

You draft a franchise quarterback that early because you believe he's the guy that can lead you for the next decade....and you build around him...

I've never clamored for the Dolphins to take a quarterback like I did for them to select Matt Ryan....I tried (fruitlessly) so hard to get the point across that it would be a big mistake to pass up on THIS quarterback....

...not because he was a quarterback and Miami needed one.....but because he was the quarterback Miami had been waiting for....and he was right there...for the taking....they worked him out...they went to his pro day....

Essentially, all they had to do was turn the card in with his name on it...

They didn't....

Now, you all get to witness first hand what Miami could've had under center come Sept. 13th.....

26. Gardenhead

Gardenhead Pro Bowler

Oh please...the truth is that there was NO CONSENSUS that Matt Ryan would be great (by the way, the jury is still out, even though he looks like the real deal). Plenty of experts thought he was not worth the top pick. So some guy on some message board was clamoring for him. Clap, clap, clap. You were right and Bill Parcells was wrong. Now you can tell all your friends how smart you are. Happy now?

I will agree with you on one thing: Ryan Clady is better than Jake Long. Its a dirty little secret that no one wants to admit. But its true.

27. VA_Finfan

VA_Finfan A True Fan

i believe we made the right pick because who knows what would have happened? with long as a tackle our running game is straight up nasty, wildcat may never have been developed, so looking back, i think that our pick was the right one

28. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Well I was definately saying Ryan was a top level prospect not that I am always right. People were talking smack because I had Ryan in my sig.

29. Buff

Buff From a galaxy far far away.... Finheaven VIP Donator

Long keep the QB safe - remember Chad did have a GREAT year last year, no injuries etc, and that can be directly linked to Longs presence on the line.

If we had taken Ryan, I think.....in fact I am sure, he would have lasted maybe 5 or 6 games & possibly been out injured. No disrespect to Ryan, he is obviously something special, but Long was who & what we needed, and the results are division champs, best turn around in league history. Thats a nice start for two new comers to the organisation.

Choice...Chad & Jake or Matt & ???

Easy. Chad & Jake.

30. GoonBoss

GoonBoss Finheaven Templar Super Donator Donator

Thank god. It's about time somone compared the Ryan and Long picks. Kudos to you sir.

31. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Atlanta chose Ryan over a LT and he lasted all season so that theory is flawed and a real unknown.

32. BARF

BARF ...FOR ME TO POOP ON

if we would have drafted ryan he would have been on the ground most of the time, not saying that the falcons have a better o line, but they have been playing together longer than ours, oh and lets not forget the signed michael turner, and have roddy white, who both had pro bowl years.

the way our team was in shambles we needed to start from the o line, and then put a qb

33. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Atlanta was just as horrid the year before as us. In fact most on here predicted Ryan would have a horrible year and Atlanta was going to be awful.
    People on this board were laughing about how stupid Atlanta was for taking Ryan so high and now all of a sudden he had this great team around him.

34. Birdbrain

Birdbrain Member

We only took Ryan because you took Long.Almost took Dorsey over him.Funny the way things work out sometimes.

35. 3rdandinches

3rdandinches Seasoned Veteran

That's by far the best quote of the year, lol !!!!! Apparently you have the secret to drafting a QB that no FO in the NFL has. Your gonna be a rich man, to think BP doesn't know what he's looking at, awesome line.

36. PATSSUCK

PATSSUCK A True Fan

Yea, its not like Ryan had a rb, who had an amazing year or a top 10 wr... oh wait a minute. Lol@ Ryan lovers.

37. SuperMarksBros.

SuperMarksBros. Formerly Fiedler for MVP

This again?

Wait, what happened to all the Brady Quinn threads?

38. Vaark

That's revisionist history. Factually, they won 4 games to our 1. What confuses you about that statistic? Even with the QB and HC distractions, they won the same number of games the Jets did, and they didn't have the benefit of playing us twice. Did you predict the Jets would be as "horrid" in 08?

They already had a 1000 yd receiver being thrown to by the likes of Redman. Leftwich and Harrington. They signed a RB who averaged 6.3 yds the previous season.. Statistically they were 400% better on the eve of he 08 season, but in reality, they had even more going for them than that compared to the Fins. When you have a receiver who caught 40% of your pass yardage and a RB responsible for gaining 70% of all your team's rushing yardage, you as a QB, even if you only average 1 TD pass a game (16 total), are very likely to end up basking in the glory of your 2 stud players.

Arthur Blank needed a new face of the Falcons, desperately and quickly. The selection of Ryan as the #3 pick had more to do with PR than it did with functionality IMO. It was a gamble that obviously worked out very well in all regards, but a gamble nonetheless taking a highly rated college QB who few considered a lock as a "franchise" one. But that's a parable of life: bigger risks yield bigger rewards (or losses).

39. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Turner was a backup runningback so noone knew he would be that good and White had put up one good season out of 3. Nobody considered either White or Turner a stud coming into the season. You do realize that Jerico Cothery put up similar numbers in 2007 to White. Im sure nobody would say that a qb with Jercio Cothery came in with a certain stud wr or with Darren Sproles as his new rb. Bobby Engram put up better numbers than White the previous year and like I said noone would say well he had a stud wr in place if he had him. Matt Ryan was every bit as responsinble for Atlanta's success as anybody else on the offense.

Dminitoff thier gm has pretty good credentials as a talent evaluator I doubt they wasted a high draft pick just for publicity. Oh I forgot no other team in the league has a clue what they are doing except our team. Im pretty sure he did the same homework our people did and it paid off for them. We continually can never give credit to any other teams and players.
    \\

40. Vaark

Turner was a "back up" to LT averaging over 6 yds/carry in 07 and 5yds/carry in 06. Sorry, but you don't throw $35mil with $15mil guaranteed for a run of the mill "backup" RB. (Dimitroff did his homework on Ryan but not Turner, LOL) No matter how you spin it. Roddy White was a flat-out stud. Your stats are misleading: he played in 5 games in 06 with 500 yds of receptions, and in his 1st year he played in 8 games and had 450 yds of receptions. He's never averaged less than 14.5 yds/catch. He's been a stud from the get-go. Sorry, you can spin Ryan's glories anyway you want but he gets more credit than deserved considering the tools he had to work with. For both him and the Falcons, it turned out to be the "Perfect Storm." They were both lucky to some extent.

41. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

I never said Turner was a run of the mill back but nobody knew he was a stud. In fact many people thought they overpaid. Sproles as the main backup averaged 5.5 a carry so its not unheard of for a backup to not do the same elsewhere. Nobody was calling White as stud based on the one season. Ryan was a rookie qb with a very suspect line and very average receivers overall based on what they as whole had done to that point. I guess Stafford will have a similar year since he has a receiver even better than White in Calvin johnson and has a good back in Kevin Smith. I mean thats all it takles is a very good receiver and a good back. Leinhart had stud receivers and somehow has never done as well. I guess your right any average rookie would have came in and done just as well I mean it happens all the time lol.

Luck has just as much to do with Ryan;s success as Long's. With draft picks there is always luck involved.

42. Vaark

I'm not saying that Ryan didn't contribute to the success of his team; only that when you have offensive weapons like he was blessed with, he's not the messiah some would make him out to be.

Actually I'm more impressed with Joe Flacco. He took a team that won only 1 more game than Atlanta 3 deep into the playoffs. No other rookie QB has done that. You can say that he benefited from one of the most formidable defenses in the league and you'd be correct sir; however this is the same defense that lead their team to a 5-11 record the prior year. Not much had changed.

Flacco, drafted at 18 was expected to be a project and was only pressed into duty in the 11th hour when Smith went down. He was intended to be their 3rd option overall and got the limited TC and exhibition game snaps accordingly. You can bracket his 08 stats against Ryan's to make them look unfavorable, sure. But when you've got a guy from a little league conference with little practice time, it would be naive to think he's gonna be lights-out right out of the gate.

A better test is comparing Flacco with Ryan once they've both hit stride. I think a lot of folks would be surprised if they knew that using the last 5 games of the season as a benchmark, Ryan's QB Rating was 84.4 vs. Flacco's 83.9; Ryan threw for 1022yds with 5 ints vs Flacco's 975 yds with 4 interceptions.

So if you want to coronate Ryan as the savior and Dimitroff as a savant by taking a top 10 rated QB 3rd, then what does that make Ozzie Newsome taking a "project QB" 18th who offensively at the least performed at the same level as Ryan and actually won 2 playoff games?

Do you think Flacco gets overlooked despite comparable last 5 game stats because he doesn't have the cute nickname?? Or because the league desperately needs to pump up the large disgruntled part of the Atlanta fanbase?

Sorry, but based on current evidence, Flacco at 18 is a smarter better deal than the Messiah at 3!

43. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

You cant just look at the games u feel is thier stride. Overall Ryan was better and made less mistakes less interceptions and 5 less fumbles. Flacco did damn good for a rookie but Ryan did better and put up one of the better rookie seasons ever by a qb. If you just look at a certain 5 games schedule could come into play or many other things.

If you feel Flacco is a better qb than your assertation may be correct. I dont see Flacco as good as Ryan. Also according to your standards he took over a team with a stud RB and a stud wr and did not do as much.
    McGahee had 1200 yards the previous year and Mason had 103 receptions. So I also guess according to your standards that Denver made a smarter pick in round 1 by taking their T.

Ryan overall had a better year and thats why he got the props. Nobody would argue except maybe you that Flacco had a better year at qb. 14 tds 12 int 11 fumbles is not better than 17 tds 11 int and 6 fumbles.

44. Vaark

I don't look at "a certain 5 game" I look at the LAST 5 games when the playing field's evened out and Flacco's finally got his sea legs. I'm merely saying that considering the college programs each came from, where they were drafted, their team's prior year performances,which one started taking snaps earlier in the preseason... and how far each drove their team, to say Flacco's done less is pure Matty Ice idolatry!

Bottom line: all these "knowing what we know now, we should have taken Ryan" threads are just mental masturbation. Based on last 5 regular season and several playoff game performance, if we knew then what we know know.. what we should have done was taken Jake at 1 and then packaged a few picks including Merling and Henne to trade up to 17 to grab Flacco. That would have been the ticket!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2009
  45. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

You call it idoltry because it suits your arguement. Does not make it so.

As I said 16 tds 11 int 6 fumbles 87 rating quarterback a

14 tds 12 int 11 fumbles 80.3 rating quarterback b

Please tell me that quarterback b did a better job.

Also yes the Ravens went further but Flacco was pretty bad in the playoffs. He completed 44 percent of his passes with 1 td and 3 int with a qb rating of 50. I think if you look at what the Raven did in the playoff it had much more to do with thier defense then his subpar play in the playoffs. Im sure he had his sealegs by then. The Ravens wins had much more to do with the other team turning the ball over. Titans fumbled 5 times and lost 2 along with an interception and Miami's 4 interceptions and 2 fumbles 1 lost. So unless you think that Flacco had a better season than Pennington since he did take his team further Im sure you cannot use this to help your Flacco arguement. Ryan was much better against superbowl runnerup Arizona in thier game then Flacco was against superbowl champ Pitt.

46. Vaark

last 5 games:

Ryan: 84.4 rating, 5ints, 1022 yds
    Flacco: 83.9 rating, 4 ints, 975 yds

To ignore the distance Flacco had to travel to get to game 13 vs Ryan is pure idolatry, yes. Sure on the basis of 17 games, Ryan was better and deserved the accolades.. but last year no one performed better than Manny Ramirez once he got traded to the Dodgers. However, while he was the de facto MVP, his body of work just was not big enough. Ditto Flacco. So yes, I will concede that over the course of the season, Ryan was better, but over the last 1/3rd of the season and beyond, they were at the least, comparable.

I know you suffer from "lastworditis" so I'm probably (lol) done with this topic. Either way, you'll spin this ad nauseum to support your intractable position. I'll just catch up with you on the next Fins player bash-fest.

47. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Well not sure we were bashing any dolphin player. I never disagreed they were comparable over the last 5 regular season games. If they had a rookie of the last third of the year then maybe it would be the media drinking the kool aid. this award is given for the whole season and that is not comparable. also I noticed you did not have much to say on the playoffs for Flacco since u gave him so much credit for his team advancing.

48. dolfan94

dolfan94 Scout Team

I am in the belief that an o-line, a running game and some receivers make a QB. Matt Ryan with us last year is like Matt Stafford this year with the Lions. Stafford might be better than Ryan, but wont have anywhere as close to a succesfu season as Ryan because they're entire team sucks.

If we hadnt taken Jake Long, our o-line would've looked awful. Our receivers were very questionable and we got a coupe of diamonds in the rough, and our running game was pretty good, but Ronnie was coming off of an ACL injury and Ricky hadnt played for a long time. We didnt know about Cobbs either.

Our mindset last year wasnt contending for a playoff spot, let alone make it to the playoffs. Our mindset was building from the ground up. That's why we let JT go. That's why we let ZT go. We were rebuilding. It wouldn't matter what our record was at the end of the season. What would matter was how our guys were developing.

And they did develop tremendously. And we did find a few diamonds in the rough. And we did have some sinking veterans reemerge. And Chad P. fell into our hands and we found our way into the playoffs. Would that have happened with Matt Ryan and no Jake Long?

ABSOLUTELY NOT

49. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Many said the same thing about Atlanta when they passed on a tackle.
    I do agree we probably dont make the playoffs with Ryan although I think he would have done a solid job. Long term though we cannot know for sure that is best because we dont know if Henne or White will be good NFL qb;s but we know Ryan is one and by many accounts is looking better this year. If we had drafted Ryan Im sure we would have looked at a tackle and they can be found after the first pick. Both Ryan and Long were superior rookies last year alhough its much more common for a tackle to be good as a rookie. Last year everyone though Atlanta would suck so its easy to say now he had a better team.

50. dolfan94

dolfan94 Scout Team

I never thought Atlanta would suck. They had a pretty good team last year. Not too different than from when Michael Vick was there. Only with a better QB right now.They were a QB away from being a playoff team and everyone knew it. They just didnt think Matt Ryan was THAT guy.

And this is how I sum it up: Matt Ryan was the better fit for the Falcons, and Jake Long was the better fit for the Dolphins