Jake Long vs. Matt Ryan | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jake Long vs. Matt Ryan

It's easy to look back and 2nd qguess....but I look at it like this....take the team we had last yr, remove Long, slide Carey to LT and stick Ndukewe at RT....how much success would Ryan have had??

Not to mention when your at stage 1 of a rebuild, the last thing you can afford to do is miss on a QB! Imagine paying Beck $50mil.....

Truth is, we will never know how it could have played out, I am satisfied with the way it did though.

Listen If Ryan lights us up in week one, goes on to be a perennial pro bowler, and Henne does not pan out this will go down as one of the biggest blunders in franchise history.

2it6ljk-1.jpg

It's not about Henne. He fell into our lap at 56.. he was not plan 1A... or 1B for that matter. Doesn't matter how he works out. It was and is about selecting our ProBowl LT vs. Ryan. Aside from Mayock, who's a friend of the Ryan family and a former BC player, I don't recall anyone else slurping Ryan as an obvious "franchise" QB. A highly rated one, despite his spate of interceptions, yes, but not as compelling a choice as either Long or Dorsey.

IMO that's no different from us passing TWICE on Drew Brees, maybe one of the top 3 NFL QBs.. especially when we took Fletcher at 26 instead. The first time we just didn't know, although we should have speculated he might be a cut above average. The second time was unforgivable.

Will Ryan turn out to be a franchise QB? No denying he's been impressive so far but only time will tell. Since White caught 40% of his passing yardage (still averaging only 1 TD a game), I'd be interested to see how well he'd do without Turner or White.. 2 offensive weapons we did not, and do not have presently. I bemoan passing up Brees twice, more than I do passing up Ryan to take the closest thing to a "sure thing" to be the linchpin in our offense. Hindsight's 20/20.

I didn't want Ryan, not at #1. He fit some categories that typically align with NFL success, like number of college starts and completion percentage. But he also fell into a few categories that indicate overrated and potential bust: Premier pick who was not rated very high entering his senior year; Interceptions; Less than ideal arm strength.

I was very surprised by his rookie year, nearly 8 YPPA, outstanding. But I'll stubbornly wait for it to replay. Maybe the subjective types who gushed over Ryan got this one right. But in the long run they'll flop repeatedly if they ignore long term foundational problems and over value the most recent season or handful of games. Parcells and Co. took the route that will pay off handsomely if they apply it position after position every year.

Remember, the Falcons are in the same category as us, likely to regress to the mean after a huge victory uptick in 2008. I'm not conceding anything to them, or Ryan.

I have only looked at his stats and a preseason game this year as to what type of player he is. After watching him play in a preseason game the other night though, I was VERY impressed. His arm strength, awareness and decision making was outstanding. His arm strength and accuracy is what impressed me the most though.

My major question though is, if it wasn't for Penny, who were we going to have as our QB? Was Beck really going to be our starter last year?

I have only looked at his stats and a preseason game this year as to what type of player he is. After watching him play in a preseason game the other night though, I was VERY impressed. His arm strength, awareness and decision making was outstanding. His arm strength and accuracy is what impressed me the most though.

My major question though is, if it wasn't for Penny, who were we going to have as our QB? Was Beck really going to be our starter last year?

Sparano admitted that Henne would have been the starter.

I like to analogize the 2008 NFL Draft to the 1984 NBA Draft.

In 1984, the NBA draft went like this:
1. Hakeem Olajuwan - Houston Rockets
2. Sam Bowie - Portland Trailblazers
3. Michael Jordan - Chicago Bulls

In 2008, the NFL draft went like this:
1. Jake Long - Miami Dolphins
2. Chris Long - St. Louis Rams
3. Matt Ryan - Atlanta Falcons

Do the Rockets regret not taking Michael Jordan? Of course! Do they lie awake at night, kicking themselves for passing on Jordan? Probably not. Hakeem got them 2 rings. The Rockets went with the "safe" pick and took a Center. Miami followed the same strategy.

Of course, this analogy is flawed, cause Jordan ended up being the greatest of all time. And cause the book on Jake Long and Matt Ryan is yet to be written.

But I think you get my point.

Well lucky for us Jake will be more beneficial to the Dolphins then the dream ever was to Houston, and Matt will never...ever....ever be in the same league as Jordan.

We made the right call, and those that do not believe it, watch Matty Ice in year 2, and see if he melts or continues to impress.

When you have the chance to draft a franchise Left Tackle you take it. Ryan was no different from Alex Smith that went number 1 overall. Just right place, right system, right time. The real question is franchise left tackle vs franchise qb. Not you take the first QB that the 'experts' believe is the best.

LMAO...you guys are funny...

If you're going to take a left tackle #1 overall in the draft over the franchise quarterback....then the left tackle you select should AT LEAST be the best left tackle in the draft...Jake Long wasn't even that IMO....and thusfar...still hasn't proven to be...

I had Matt Ryan as the best QB in the draft 7 months before the draft even occured...when all the talking heads were slurping Brian Brohm and Colt Brennan...

There's a difference between a system quarterback and an NFL quarterback when projecting their skills to the next level....it's actually quite easy to tell the difference if you know what you're looking at...

You don't draft a quarterback that early with the expectation of making the playoffs that season....especially when you're coming off a 1-15 season....so a 1st round exit from the playoffs with Pennington doesn't justify anything...

You draft a franchise quarterback that early because you believe he's the guy that can lead you for the next decade....and you build around him...

I've never clamored for the Dolphins to take a quarterback like I did for them to select Matt Ryan....I tried (fruitlessly) so hard to get the point across that it would be a big mistake to pass up on THIS quarterback....

...not because he was a quarterback and Miami needed one.....but because he was the quarterback Miami had been waiting for....and he was right there...for the taking....they worked him out...they went to his pro day....

Essentially, all they had to do was turn the card in with his name on it...

They didn't....

Now, you all get to witness first hand what Miami could've had under center come Sept. 13th.....

LMAO...you guys are funny...

If you're going to take a left tackle #1 overall in the draft over the franchise quarterback....then the left tackle you select should AT LEAST be the best left tackle in the draft...Jake Long wasn't even that IMO....and thusfar...still hasn't proven to be...

I had Matt Ryan as the best QB in the draft 7 months before the draft even occured...when all the talking heads were slurping Brian Brohm and Colt Brennan...

There's a difference between a system quarterback and an NFL quarterback when projecting their skills to the next level....it's actually quite easy to tell the difference if you know what you're looking at...

You don't draft a quarterback that early with the expectation of making the playoffs that season....especially when you're coming off a 1-15 season....so a 1st round exit from the playoffs with Pennington doesn't justify anything...

You draft a franchise quarterback that early because you believe he's the guy that can lead you for the next decade....and you build around him...

I've never clamored for the Dolphins to take a quarterback like I did for them to select Matt Ryan....I tried (fruitlessly) so hard to get the point across that it would be a big mistake to pass up on THIS quarterback....

...not because he was a quarterback and Miami needed one.....but because he was the quarterback Miami had been waiting for....and he was right there...for the taking....they worked him out...they went to his pro day....

Essentially, all they had to do was turn the card in with his name on it...

They didn't....

Now, you all get to witness first hand what Miami could've had under center come Sept. 13th.....

Oh please...the truth is that there was NO CONSENSUS that Matt Ryan would be great (by the way, the jury is still out, even though he looks like the real deal). Plenty of experts thought he was not worth the top pick. So some guy on some message board was clamoring for him. Clap, clap, clap. You were right and Bill Parcells was wrong. Now you can tell all your friends how smart you are. Happy now?

I will agree with you on one thing: Ryan Clady is better than Jake Long. Its a dirty little secret that no one wants to admit. But its true.

i believe we made the right pick because who knows what would have happened? with long as a tackle our running game is straight up nasty, wildcat may never have been developed, so looking back, i think that our pick was the right one

True. But very few believed Matt Ryan to be a Franchise QB.

The talk on this board was mostly Jake or Chris Long and Vernon Ghoulston. Very FEW in here were saying Matt Ryan to me knowldge

Well I was definately saying Ryan was a top level prospect not that I am always right. People were talking smack because I had Ryan in my sig.

Long keep the QB safe - remember Chad did have a GREAT year last year, no injuries etc, and that can be directly linked to Longs presence on the line.

If we had taken Ryan, I think.....in fact I am sure, he would have lasted maybe 5 or 6 games & possibly been out injured. No disrespect to Ryan, he is obviously something special, but Long was who & what we needed, and the results are division champs, best turn around in league history. Thats a nice start for two new comers to the organisation.

Choice...Chad & Jake or Matt & ???

Easy. Chad & Jake.

Back
Top Bottom