Jake Long "wants to test the Free Agent market?"

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by PolitePolite, Feb 24, 2012.

1. PolitePolite

PolitePolite Well-Known Member

I was looking at some mock drafts, and found this:

"I had moved away from the Offensive Tackle to Miami mindset before I found out that Jake Long “wants to test the Free Agent market” after this season. Realistically, the Dolphins have to prepare for life after Jake Long.

Riley Reiff is not the prospect that Matt Kalil is, but he’s capable of taking over on the right side next season. If he improves like I project him to, he’ll make an easy transition to the right side should Jake Long leave."

http://www.extra-point.net/mock-draft/

Anybody know if there is any truth to this? I know this is Jake's last year on his contract, but has anybody heard that he wants to test the free agent market?

2. Tunaphish429

Tunaphish429 1st Ballot Hall of Famer Donator

We have him under contract 2 years..and even then we can franchise him after that to keep him if a long term deal is not done...The only reason I would see Miami drafting a LT in the next 2 years is because they think Long cant play it anymore and they move him to RT which should make him alot cheaper. But to panic now and take a LT seems kinda dumb.

3. elite14eva

elite14eva Yashu Mane!!! Donator

jake's not going anywhere.

4. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 TANNERECTION!!!! Donator

I have beachfront property in the Everglades........................

5. JerryD

JerryD A True Fan

Its true speculation ... exactly the same for every NFL player.

Long's good, but his value is not top-dollar high, due to constant injuries the last couple years. Injuries have had an obvious impact on his performance.

Long has at least 3 major/lingering injuries that are very public ... and no doubt a couple that are not public.

To get top dollar, Long will have to be healthy. A huge positive for Long is that he is dedicated & plays hurt ... that will increase his worth.

6. datruth55

datruth55 Starter

Who the freak are these people and do they have any credibility? Another mock draft site that's trying to start rumors to generate more page hits?

7. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 I can get you a toe Finheaven VIP Donator

Even if he was to leave next year, you wouldn't replace him now.

8. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

This may be true that he would like to test the market, though I doubt he ever gets to. The Dolphins will probably try to work out a contract extension this Summer. Even if they don't, no way does Ireland let him hit the market next offseason. He is a prime example why the franchise tag was created.

9. phinatic1399

phinatic1399 Diehard Phinatic!

No, his contract expires after this season, he signed a 5 year contract, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, and he will be a free agent, if he wants to test the open market then let em, he is turning into tony boselli and people need to wake up and smell the coffee, knee surgery, shoulder surgery, back problems, and torn bicep surgery, he clearly was not the same player last year and injury's could be taking their toll, if he proves he can bounce back this year and stay healthy then resign him, if not then let him go somewhere else like boselli did with the texans and end his career there, elite LT's are overrated, look at the last 7 or 8 superbowl teams, none of them had "elite" LT's, diel, bushrod, matt light, those guys are very good but not elite, give me a franchise qb and an above average LT and we will be fine, if he wants to walk let his injury riddled body walk, unless he proves he can stay healthy.

Benjamin Volin Because there was confusion last week: Jake Long absolutely 100% is set to be a FA after 2012. 6th year of his contract will void. Confirmed

10. mnphinfan

mnphinfan Lifelong Fin Fan

This is the same feeling I'm beginning to have. I don't know if it was from Sparano grinding him into the dirt, his willingness to play hurt, or his inability to rehab with the team doctors last offseason but the injuries have definitely begun to take their toll. If he can rebound this year to his old self, great sign him to a contract extension and be done with it. But if due to the injuries he continues to play at the same level as last year, or God forbid he gets worse let him test the market. If we miss out on Manning and Philbin is not sold on Flynn as his QB I would even be open to them using him in a draft day trade with the Rams for RGIII.

11. mnphinfan

Considering the source I definitly am taking this information with a grain of salt.

However, this is the same feeling I'm beginning to have with Long. I don't know if it was from Sparano grinding him into the dirt, his willingness to play hurt, or his inability to rehab with the team doctors last offseason but the injuries have definitely begun to take their toll. If he can rebound this year to his old self, great sign him to a contract extension and be done with it. But if due to the injuries he continues to play at the same level as last year, or God forbid he gets worse let him test the market. If we miss out on Manning and Philbin is not sold on Flynn as his QB I would even be open to them using him in a draft day trade with the Rams for RGIII.

12. normaniii

normaniii A True Fan

You talking about Jake Long as if he is some 'ordinary Joe'. Jake Long is a beast of a LT. Granted his injuries have resulted in him playing below his usual HOF standard, but aslo note......he has played while many, no not many, most would have not.

Jake Long is massively under appreciated in my mind due to the 'not taking Matt Ryan' scenario.

I for one am a massive fan of Jake. He embodies everything my favourite Dolphin Zach Thomas had. Toughness, intelligence, teamwork and a 'want' to win. He is leader who makes others around him follow, resulting in them improving and playing above their own standard.

I want Jake Long to retire a HOF Dolphin!

13. hoops

hoops exited stage left

its nothing to worry about...unless jakes play falls off the table or he gets a major injury that makes him staying with us a risky proposition he's not going anywhere...book it

nothing to worry about

14. jason_taylor

jason_taylor Pro Bowler

sold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lmao

15. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Playoffs Moderator Finheaven VIP

IMO. when jakes signs a new contract, he will be the highest paid LT in the history of the nfl and retire a fin.

16. phinatic1399

phinatic1399 Diehard Phinatic!

Hey look bro I agree with you, I love Jake Long, when he is healthy he is the best LT in the league, but he clearly took a step back last season and injury's could be piling up, I hope I'm wrong and he bounces back healthy and returns to his all-pro form, but it would be foolish to resign right now, we need to let the season play out and see if he can stay healthy and regain his form and if he does great, resign him, but lets say for sake of argument his shoulder bothers him all season, well that is something we have to seriously consider and we dont want to resign somebody to a massive contract if he is going down the tony boselli road, injury's are a serious concern and were not talking little broken finger injury's, were talking knees, back, shoulder, and bicep, I think Ireland is taking the right approach, let's play the "wait and see" approach and see what happens this season.

17. hoops

hoops exited stage left

absolutely...

18. DphinBillkiller

DphinBillkiller Touchdown

I'm not worried about the rumor, although this is a business where players and coaches come and go. Jake will be a Dolphin for years to come.

19. nosleep

nosleep Resident GIF Maker

20. Austin Tatious

Austin Tatious Starter

I agree he gets franchised. You get nowhere as a franchise letting the first overall pick get away from you. We need to fill holes, not create new ones.

21. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

Interesting to see who we retain after next season with Wake,Long,Bush,Starks,Fasano,
    McDaniels,Moore,Garner,Cook,Fields,Trusnik,Culver,Smith,Clemons,Hartline,Bell all
    are unrestricted free agents

22. mnphinfan

Honestly looking at that group the only players I'd really prefer to keep are Wake, Long, Bush, Starks, and Fields. It would be nice to bring back Fasano, McDaniels, Smith and Garner too if the price was right but it wouldn't be the worst thing if we didn't. The rest of them are pretty meh.

23. greasyObnoxious

greasyObnoxious I love lamp Finheaven VIP Donator

half of this list might not even be on the team in September

24. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Your crazy we all know that LT is the most important position in all of football. qb's are a dime a dozen lol

25. Bonedoc7777

Bonedoc7777 Perennial All-Pro

franchise player and no chance

26. flynryan15

flynryan15 A True Fan Donator

Well Kirkham has a history of creating more holes then he fills so this doesn't surprise me.

27. normaniii

normaniii A True Fan

Ireland should have slapped Sparano silly when he was playing Jake Long through injury, at the end of a meaningless season!