Jake Long "wants to test the Free Agent market?" | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jake Long "wants to test the Free Agent market?"

PolitePolite

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I was looking at some mock drafts, and found this:

"I had moved away from the Offensive Tackle to Miami mindset before I found out that Jake Long “wants to test the Free Agent market” after this season. Realistically, the Dolphins have to prepare for life after Jake Long.

Riley Reiff is not the prospect that Matt Kalil is, but he’s capable of taking over on the right side next season. If he improves like I project him to, he’ll make an easy transition to the right side should Jake Long leave."

http://www.extra-point.net/mock-draft/

Anybody know if there is any truth to this? I know this is Jake's last year on his contract, but has anybody heard that he wants to test the free agent market?

We have him under contract 2 years..and even then we can franchise him after that to keep him if a long term deal is not done...The only reason I would see Miami drafting a LT in the next 2 years is because they think Long cant play it anymore and they move him to RT which should make him alot cheaper. But to panic now and take a LT seems kinda dumb.

I was looking at some mock drafts, and found this:

"I had moved away from the Offensive Tackle to Miami mindset before I found out that Jake Long “wants to test the Free Agent market” after this season. Realistically, the Dolphins have to prepare for life after Jake Long.

Riley Reiff is not the prospect that Matt Kalil is, but he’s capable of taking over on the right side next season. If he improves like I project him to, he’ll make an easy transition to the right side should Jake Long leave."

http://www.extra-point.net/mock-draft/

Anybody know if there is any truth to this? I know this is Jake's last year on his contract, but has anybody heard that he wants to test the free agent market?
I have beachfront property in the Everglades........................

Its true speculation ... exactly the same for every NFL player.

Long's good, but his value is not top-dollar high, due to constant injuries the last couple years. Injuries have had an obvious impact on his performance.

Long has at least 3 major/lingering injuries that are very public ... and no doubt a couple that are not public.

To get top dollar, Long will have to be healthy. A huge positive for Long is that he is dedicated & plays hurt ... that will increase his worth.

Who the freak are these people and do they have any credibility? Another mock draft site that's trying to start rumors to generate more page hits?

This may be true that he would like to test the market, though I doubt he ever gets to. The Dolphins will probably try to work out a contract extension this Summer. Even if they don't, no way does Ireland let him hit the market next offseason. He is a prime example why the franchise tag was created.

We have him under contract 2 years

No, his contract expires after this season, he signed a 5 year contract, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, and he will be a free agent, if he wants to test the open market then let em, he is turning into tony boselli and people need to wake up and smell the coffee, knee surgery, shoulder surgery, back problems, and torn bicep surgery, he clearly was not the same player last year and injury's could be taking their toll, if he proves he can bounce back this year and stay healthy then resign him, if not then let him go somewhere else like boselli did with the texans and end his career there, elite LT's are overrated, look at the last 7 or 8 superbowl teams, none of them had "elite" LT's, diel, bushrod, matt light, those guys are very good but not elite, give me a franchise qb and an above average LT and we will be fine, if he wants to walk let his injury riddled body walk, unless he proves he can stay healthy.

Benjamin Volin Because there was confusion last week: Jake Long absolutely 100% is set to be a FA after 2012. 6th year of his contract will void. Confirmed

No, his contract expires after this season, he signed a 5 year contract, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, and he will be a free agent, if he wants to test the open market then let em, he is turning into tony boselli and people need to wake up and smell the coffee, knee surgery, shoulder surgery, back problems, and torn bicep surgery, he clearly was not the same player last year and injury's could be taking their toll, if he proves he can bounce back this year and stay healthy then resign him, if not then let him go somewhere else like boselli did with the texans and end his career there, elite LT's are overrated, look at the last 7 or 8 superbowl teams, none of them had "elite" LT's, diel, bushrod, matt light, those guys are very good but not elite, give me a franchise qb and an above average LT and we will be fine, if he wants to walk let his injury riddled body walk, unless he proves he can stay healthy.

Benjamin Volin Because there was confusion last week: Jake Long absolutely 100% is set to be a FA after 2012. 6th year of his contract will void. Confirmed

This is the same feeling I'm beginning to have. I don't know if it was from Sparano grinding him into the dirt, his willingness to play hurt, or his inability to rehab with the team doctors last offseason but the injuries have definitely begun to take their toll. If he can rebound this year to his old self, great sign him to a contract extension and be done with it. But if due to the injuries he continues to play at the same level as last year, or God forbid he gets worse let him test the market. If we miss out on Manning and Philbin is not sold on Flynn as his QB I would even be open to them using him in a draft day trade with the Rams for RGIII.

Considering the source I definitly am taking this information with a grain of salt.

However, this is the same feeling I'm beginning to have with Long. I don't know if it was from Sparano grinding him into the dirt, his willingness to play hurt, or his inability to rehab with the team doctors last offseason but the injuries have definitely begun to take their toll. If he can rebound this year to his old self, great sign him to a contract extension and be done with it. But if due to the injuries he continues to play at the same level as last year, or God forbid he gets worse let him test the market. If we miss out on Manning and Philbin is not sold on Flynn as his QB I would even be open to them using him in a draft day trade with the Rams for RGIII.

You talking about Jake Long as if he is some 'ordinary Joe'. Jake Long is a beast of a LT. Granted his injuries have resulted in him playing below his usual HOF standard, but aslo note......he has played while many, no not many, most would have not.

Jake Long is massively under appreciated in my mind due to the 'not taking Matt Ryan' scenario.

I for one am a massive fan of Jake. He embodies everything my favourite Dolphin Zach Thomas had. Toughness, intelligence, teamwork and a 'want' to win. He is leader who makes others around him follow, resulting in them improving and playing above their own standard.

I want Jake Long to retire a HOF Dolphin!

its nothing to worry about...unless jakes play falls off the table or he gets a major injury that makes him staying with us a risky proposition he's not going anywhere...book it

nothing to worry about

IMO. when jakes signs a new contract, he will be the highest paid LT in the history of the nfl and retire a fin.

Back
Top Bottom