Jakeem Grant | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jakeem Grant

That play secured him a spot on the 53. Also all of his competition being unable to successfully catch a punt and kick helped a lot.

He's done everything we hoped he would so far this year.....no more butterfingers and contributing on offense. I'd be pretty shocked if he was cut at this point. Loved seeing him basically duck under 2 tackles on that long play. Also thought it was funny seeing that poor eagle penalized for hitting a 5'8" guy in the head...he was probably thinking "What the bleep else am i supposed to hit?!?!"

I really don't think the td matters. He had to catch his punts and he's done it. Give him some package run and first team punt return gig til he puts it on the ground. I'd still be a little Leary of late close games having him back there in our own end on punt catch duties.

Grant is the kind of player that if we cut ends up at New England killing us. I know that line gets used a lot on this board, but this kid has the speed, ability and work ethic to succeed in the league. He would mesh well in New Englands stable of speedy dwarf's they use to kill us.

Grant's going to make it no doubt. New England probably is hoping we cut Drew Morgan so they can fill for there guy who tore his ACL.

He took control of his own fate in a way that needs to be advertised to young players because that is exactly how you succeed. You don't succeed by just doing what the coaches and training staff tell you. You succeed by finding your own "whatever it takes" approach to getting better and throwing yourself headlong into it.

That's nice advice for all of us. :)

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...-wide-receiver-wr-highlight-vine-video-031616

If Grant really did run a 4.12, that would tie him for the fastest 40-yard dash in football history with Bo Jackson, whose time is more folklore than science. (Jackson was also roughly 75 pounds heavier than Grant.)

The fastest combine 40-yard dash time ever recorded is Chris Johnson’s 4.24.[QUOTE/]

It’s not shocking that news of Grant’s blazing time has created some fervor amongst Tech and NFL fans on Twitter.

Stills, Drake, and Grant are fast. Anyone know who the fastest guy on our team is?

He is a sub 4.4 second guy. In fact if Jakeem had been invited to the Combine last year, he was expected to break the record (it got broken this year by John Ross). The problem was 84 year old Gil Brandt, who controls the invitations, wants the Combine for NFL caliber footballers and not pure sprinters. Now it turns out Jakeem can play and his credentials at Texas Tech were excellent, but surprisingly, he missed out on getting an invite. Being a Texas boy, it could also be that old Gil was trying to set something up for the Dallas Cowboys by trying to generate less attention re Jakeem's 40 time.
Make no mistake, Jakeem is probably the fastest player to ever wear a Dolphin jersey and when he gets in the clear - he's gone.

DKphin
He is a sub-4.3 guy and if you believe the video he made before the draft he is a sub-4.2 guy

That's sort of like saying Jordan Phillips is "over 250 lbs"....

Really makes me wonder why he doesn't return kickoffs. You can muff those and still be fine (versus a punt where you're screwed), and him with a head of steam on a kick off return is scary to think about. Anyone know? I'm probably missing something obvious, but it sure seems like he would be the most dangerous for that task as well.

The turning point for Jakeem was during the off season before the Draft when he went far above and beyond to fix his issues with catching punts. The coaches saw that. The front office saw that. And come draft time they let the entire weekend pass without drafting or even signing a guy with legit return abilities. I said right there and then, one of the biggest takeaways from draft weekend is that for whatever reason, Jakeem Grant is safe. We came to find out the reason is because he shagged like 100 punts a day, sometimes multiple punts at a time, for the entire off season. Even flew Matt Darr out to Texas to help him do it.

He took control of his own fate in a way that needs to be advertised to young players because that is exactly how you succeed. You don't succeed by just doing what the coaches and training staff tell you. You succeed by finding your own "whatever it takes" approach to getting better and throwing yourself headlong into it.

After that draft weekend he was virtually assured of a roster spot unless he started dropping every punt that came his way in camp and preseason. Jarvis Landry is their #1 wide receiver. You don't have your #1 wide receiver as the only guy on roster qualified to shag your punts. It is not done. They can get Kenyan Drake to do kick returns but there are no other legit punt return men on roster other than Landry and Grant.

His ability to be compelling on offense if they actually give him the opportunity...should have been pretty evident all along. That combination of quickness, pure speed, and toughness is a recipe for big plays. He schooled 1st round picks in college. And he somehow managed to catch 250+ balls in college despite everyone saying he can't catch a cold.

Couldn't agree more. Also, I know many don't like to hear this and certainly don't have the patience for it, but positions like WR can often take time to develop. Aside from learning how to properly run routes at the NFL level and developing chemistry with the QB, developing and building confidence is a huge part of the equation IMO. For any skill position, you've got to posses the (over)confidence to bounce back from mistakes (drops, muffs, fumbles, etc.). Some very talented players never overcome that. It's akin to an MLB pitcher getting the 'yips'. Once a player starts dropping passes, muffing punts or fumbling the ball after contact, it can be hard to get out of their head. Hopefully Jakeem is one of those players that will be able to get past it and come into his own in year 2 and 3.

CK, you're obviously pretty high on Grant. Think he can have Tyreek Hill-like production if he gets enough opportunities? Or is Hill a significantly better player?

Maybe a little bit of both in there. Jakeem Grant absolutely needs more opportunities. He's producing 10 yards per target and breaks off a long touchdown once every 10 times you get the ball in his hands. I mean, come on, right? But at the same time it's OK to look at the film of Tyreek Hill and Jakeem Grant and conclude that (for now, at least) Hill has a superior skill set.

By the way I did a fair amount of study on that 40 yard dash that Grant ran and I do believe he's about a low-4.3 kind of guy.

And that is PLENTY of speed.

But consider this. For a low-4.3 kind of guy, he's got insane quickness, agility, and acceleration, especially if you consider those things relative to surface area (the size of the tackle target).

Net result? It's ****ing hard to get hold of this guy and if you find yourself slightly out of position, he doesn't stop until he reaches the tunnel.

The down side with him has been, will continue to be: 1) small strike zone particularly on deep verticals, 2) drops, 3) injuries, 4) offensive knowledge.

One of those weaknesses is what I'd term "structural". It will persist. It must be counter-balanced and overcome with strengths.

Drops and offensive knowledge can persist, but they can also go away very suddenly. Injuries is a "we will see" sort of thing.

The question is whether he can overcome all of those. I'd sure as hell give him a lot more chances to try.

This guy has "end around" written all over him. Even if only a decoy at times, I can still see it being effective

Back
Top Bottom