Jamar Taylor's Kidney Issue May Have Made Him Slip to #54 | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jamar Taylor's Kidney Issue May Have Made Him Slip to #54

I'm more worried about his high blood pressure at such a young age-- and he's an athlete!

Fibrotic kidneys are no joke though.

High blood pressure in your 20's? Scar tissue doesn't just disappear either, unless you surgically remove it.

Now it all makes sense why he dropped.

Hopefully everything goes well.

High blood pressure in your 20's? Scar tissue doesn't just disappear either, unless you surgically remove it.

High blood pressure playing out in the sweltering heat and his kidneys are shot to hell too. Damn.

42 percent efficiency is no good. As an icu nurse I have seen people go into complete kidney failure from blood pressure meds. Some never recover even when they stop taking the meds

Yeah it's definitely not good and the herald seems to be conflicting. I just finished studying the kidney so I'll share what I know but it's hard to determine the outlook without knowing specifics about his issues and how long he has had it.

The kidney has the ability to repair the nephrons if the insult has not lasted a long time (acute tubluar necrosis).. but if this is a chronic thing and it went a long time undecided those nephrons could be lost for good. Kidney scarring typically means the glomerulus got damaged and those are the tiny blood vessels that go into the kidney.. those can't be healed.. once they are damged they are lost for good. So when the report says that "he is expected to improve" I'm guessing they are just going to put him on meds but the kidneys themselves can't heal like in other cases of kidney damage.
As 3117 said, people with scarring can go into complete renal failure so I'm not sure why the Herald is saying he is expected to improve..It's not something that he will just forget about soon enough. If it is in fact scarring of the kidney and the glomeruli were damaged, he will have to cope with either by medications or a kidney transplant in the future if it gets worse. If he has to be on constant medications thats not good for his performance since theres no perfect medicine for this kind of stuff. He could very easily have a lot of bad days due to side effects from the medication. I would hate for him to get light headed before snaps and have to deal with that during the play.

People tend to mess up terms all the time so it might not be as bad as actual kidney scarring.. could be something else and the herald messed up their terms. I hope thats the case.

If you care to know this is a lot of science so skip it if you don't care.. The glomerulus are the tiny vessels that go into the kidney and pass into a high pressure capsule.. The blood continues on but there is a filtrate that gets taken out of the blood and that filtrate then goes into the nephron. Nephrons are long tubes that start at the outer edge of the kidney, dip into the inner part and come back up. We have about a million of these nephrons per kidney and they serve to reabsorb/excrete water and solutes like sodium, chloride, and potassium based on if we need those things or not.. the kidney is the major player in long term blood pressure control so when you mess with the kidney you have patients coming in with blood pressures that are whack.
Kidneys are sensitive to change in pressure so they would release an enzyme (renin) which ultimately leads to the activation of a hormone (aldosterone) which acts on the nephrons themselves to open up more channels to take back more water and sodium. Aldosterone also causes vasoconstriction, which means to makes the arteries smaller to increase pressure. So if he has scarring thats going to interfere with the tubular part and he's going to have really bad vasoconstriction because of the aldosterone secretion.. Now, since the heart has to pump blood into smaller arteries, the blood pressure is going to go up significantly. I imagine this would also affect his exercise capacity since his body is working against him to properly get blood to the muscles during exercise. The biggest thing is that they have diagnosed him and they know that he has it so it shouldn't get any worse with the proper medications. I would guess they'd give him vasodilators to make his heart work less. Whatever the case is, if this scarring is as significant as they say it is, thats definitely not something that can just be ignored.

So then this is something we should be concerned about.

What is your exact issue? I'm not sure what you're aiming at. Have you designated yourself the person who must give Dolphin fans a reality check about having it both ways? You appear to be that guy with this issue on twitter.

Teams were concerned. He slipped. Doesn't mean as the money risk came down he wasn't about to be selected by someone else. Should Colts fan be concerned that Werner fell to them? Whats wrong with him? If you think I should be concerned, how concerned should I be? How concerned should I be about a 2nd round CB with kidney issues brought on by medicine? The issues haven't stopped him from playing at a high level. Should Steelers fans be concerned about Ryan Clark falling apart during the middle of the season because of his illness?

I'm concerned Tannehill won't be a great QB. I'm concerned Oregon's quarters system is gonna keep Jordan out of some OTAs. I have plenty of concerns. Add Taylor to the list

Quite a few athletes have high blood pressure actually. Obviously not from their lifestyle but genetics.. African-Americans are more prone to hypertension. It's definitely not something you want to have if you're in the NFL. I'm really bummed to hear this.

And no they can not remove scar tissue from the kidney these are extremely tiny vessels that are being damaged, it's not the same as removing scar tissue from a joint. Kidney scarring is unfortunately permanent.

Man, kind of a bummer. It's probably a part (maybe a large part) of why, according to lots of posters here, Ireland 'panicked' and felt like he had to get back into the 3rd once corners started going to grab Davis. Grimes off an ACL and your 2nd-rounder with high blood pressure and kidney problems...should probably plan on needing that depth.

https://mobile.twitter.com/J_Tay5

Sounds like the kidney issue did play a part in his drop, probably scared some teams away. At the same time, he has switched medicines, the doctors told him his kidney function will improve and he says it never affected him on the field. Something to keep an eye on going forward, but it sounds like it is more likely not going to be a future problem then it being one.

Well, he likely wouldn't admit if he was feeling the effects of his problems or he may have attributed it to something else. I'm sure he told all the teams that he never felt like anything was wrong and that very possible since a lot of people with kidney problems don't even realize there is something going on.. Symptoms are generally mild - things like light headedness and fatigue.
The issue I am trying to understand is why the doctors would be telling him his kidney function is going to improve.. If they told him that that means he does not have kidney scarring. His condition will improve due to medication and diet management, but the kidney itself will never improve function. As I said in my previous post, once your glomerulus is damaged thats it, theres nothing that can be done to bring back their function. That's what leads me to believe there may be some discrepancy in the reporting maybe it's not actually kidney scarring.

Is there an actual article besides the blurb on rotoworld? I'd like to find out more information about his condition but I cant find anything else that mentions his kidney problems.

Man, kind of a bummer. It's probably a part (maybe a large part) of why, according to lots of posters here, Ireland 'panicked' and felt like he had to get back into the 3rd once corners started going to grab Davis. Grimes off an ACL and your 2nd-rounder with high blood pressure and kidney problems...should probably plan on needing that depth.

Yeah that's an interesting point. Thing is, Ireland would've known about the kidney issue before he submitted the pick. So if he decided it wasn't a big issue and then in the next round he decided it was an issue that would show some big time indecisiveness on his part.

how did he not know until getting tested? at 42% rate, i would think he'd be dealing with edema. And I don;t know how he can play at a high level even if it doesn't get better. If it stays the same it would be hard. All I know is edema usually goes to the legs but other parts it can too. It would be hard for him to run or run fast as edema to the feet, feels like you're feet are heavy and doesn't feel good to be on you're feet too long. the feeling you get with being upside down the pressure to your head, well theres that pressure to the feat from the fluid retention to the feet and other places. That's what edema is, your kidneys help filter out toxins but also helps with protein. The kidneys from the damage start leaking out a lot of protein and with the loss the body is not able to flush out sodium and toxins in your system. Thats why someone with kidneys damamged, have to have very low salt diets, because sodium retains fluid and thats the last thing you want when your kidneys are retaining fluid and the sodium you're taking in is causing it even more. Plus actually sodium isn't good for the kidneys anyways. but to the other point the reason I know how it feels is because of an rare autoimmune thing that came on (not lupus) and I had the edema and it's not joke. I didn't want to be on my feet that long let alone try running, taylor would be trodding along if he tried running if his kidneys are 42%. Luckily, I had an immuno supressent drug and it stopped my immune systeme from beatin up my kidneys and they healed.

They aren't 100%, but they are maybe 95% i would say and very slight protein leak and have stayed that way for years and shouldn't be a problem. It makes me curious why his high blood pressure caused this though. Some blood pressure could be tough, but there's lisinprol, which treats blood pressure, but is also supposed to help the kidneys too. I take it, as because the kidneys aren't 100%, my blood pressure is just slightly high, it's only 10mg I take, but the medicine also is to prevent scarring of the kidneys for far down the road say like when I'm 50 or 60 and just help maintain things. I'm surprised why they didn't have him take that.

how did he not know until getting tested? at 42% rate, i would think he'd be dealing with edema. And I don;t know how he can play at a high level even if it doesn't get better. If it stays the same it would be hard. All I know is edema usually goes to the legs but other parts it can too. It would be hard for him to run or run fast as edema to the feet, feels like you're feet are heavy and doesn't feel good to be on you're feet too long. the feeling you get with being upside down the pressure to your head, well theres that pressure to the feat from the fluid retention to the feet and other places. That's what edema is, your kidneys help filter out toxins but also helps with protein. The kidneys from the damage start leaking out a lot of protein and with the loss the body is not able to flush out sodium and toxins in your system. Thats why someone with kidneys damamged, have to have very low salt diets, because sodium retains fluid and thats the last thing you want when your kidneys are retaining fluid and the sodium you're taking in is causing it even more. Plus actually sodium isn't good for the kidneys anyways. but to the other point the reason I know how it feels is because of an rare autoimmune thing that came on (not lupus) and I had the edema and it's not joke. I didn't want to be on my feet that long let alone try running, taylor would be trodding along if he tried running if his kidneys are 42%. Luckily, I had an immuno supressent drug and it stopped my immune systeme from beatin up my kidneys and they healed.

They aren't 100%, but they are maybe 95% i would say and very slight protein leak and have stayed that way for years and shouldn't be a problem. It makes me curious why his high blood pressure caused this though. Some blood pressure could be tough, but there's lisinprol, which treats blood pressure, but is also supposed to help the kidneys too. I take it, as because the kidneys aren't 100%, my blood pressure is just slightly high, it's only 10mg I take, but the medicine also is to prevent scarring of the kidneys for far down the road say like when I'm 50 or 60 and just help maintain things. I'm surprised why they didn't have him take that.

I can honestly say I learned something new today from reading finheaven

Back
Top Bottom