Jared Odrick to hit trade block?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Penntastic, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Penntastic

Penntastic Well-Known Member

Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald suggests that the dolphins might place RE Jared Odrick on the trade block....reasoning Odrick was drafted to play "five technique" in a 3-4 defense. The Dolphins are now a 4-3 and Odrick lacks explosive ability requisite for 4-3 defensive ends. "He's not a fit for the scheme" Salguero writes, Odrick has cheap base salaries through 2014, is only 25 yrs old, and possesses an ideal skill set for the 3-4. He could likely bring back a second-day draft pick via trade. If we resign DE, Randy Stark ....i wouldnt mind trading Odrick for second rounder.

2. Perfect23

Perfect23 A True Fan

thats a nice way by armando to cover up for jeff ireland 1 of many bad draft picks

3. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

IF Starks came back than I do not have an issue with it. However, I would let Starks walk and move Odrick inside. I bet he could add some pass rush on early downs.

4. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

sorry, i just cant live w/out the pee wee dance

5. BSQ

BSQ Scout Team

He's a #1 draftpick. I think we should keep him. We've got to stop tradeing #1 picks for second-rounders.

6. Njphinsfan

Njphinsfan Well-Known Member

Is it realistic to think someone woild give us a 2nd round pick for him? I see potential, but I don't think he has proven to be that good.

7. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

Odrick isn't being traded and he shouldn't be. He is a good, not great player so far and I think he will be kicked inside to DT if Starks walks in free agency. Odrick will be a better fit there.

8. Valbon8

Valbon8 Phins Up!

That's Armando's opinion, not the truth. Give me some of what he's smoking.

Follow me on Twitter @vlatifi

9. Valandui

Valandui Lumberjack Batman Donator

Unless he's looking for an excuse to take a DT in the first round to fill a hole we don't cureently have.

10. Digital

Digital Starter

Well if it's really being considered and we can get an upper 2nd round pick for him, I'm fine with it. He was a 1st rounder, sure, but we also got a few years out of him, and he hasn't blossomed into a dominant player, so an upper 2nd would be a good move IMHO. In the short term that would mean resigning Starks, which I'm in favor of doing anyway. It would also free us up to take one of the pass rushing DE's in round 1 or take a chance on someone like Tank Carradine if he falls. Odrick is a good guy and a decent player, but he is by no means a potential star or an untradeable player.

If we're being offered a late 3rd, then I'd rather not trade him. I'm all for trading Odrick for a legitimate pass rusher, trading a 34 guy for a 43 guy, trading solid play today for exceptional play tomorrow, etc. But, the pick would have to be high enough to do those things. If we have a shot at one of the top pass rushers, we will likely take it, making Odrick the odd man out (yes, pun intended) or pushing him inside to take Starks' place. His trade value is likely higher before the draft, and it gives us better flexibility because many of the good fit players for us are late 1st/early 2nd round picks ... so stocking up on picks there seems like a very beneficial thing to do.

11. Wildbill3

Wildbill3 Misery Loves Company Administrator Finheaven VIP

can we get a better DT than PeeWee for cheaper? No? then why the **** would we trade him?

12. spiketex

spiketex Kiko Alonso - El Bravo 47 the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

Is Armando just speculating or has Ireland (or some other front office person) leaked the trade Odrick gameplan to Armando? If he's just speculating, it's pretty irresponsible and probably won't happen. I have a problem with trading him, he's a quality defensive lineman with a good future. However, I'd be surprised if we could get a 2nd round draft pick.

13. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

Armando wrote a blog about it and it is pure speculation. He wrote it as what he would do if he was GM.

14. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

who knows what might happen, not like everybody saw marshall being traded for piffle

15. SR 7

SR 7 Banned Hammered

So another 1st round pick that didn't amount to anything past a good/decent contributor.

Ireland for President! Do you want to be the next Burger King? Or the next Del Taco instead of McDonalds or Taco Bell? Sign Ireland !

16. retarmyfinfan

retarmyfinfan Brave Rifles Donator

We would be lucky to get a 4th. We would be better off playing him as a DT

17. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

i dont get why they dont think he can play 4-3 dt

Unless they know something we dont it would be a big mistake to trade him now. His value is not high and will not fetch a first or second round pick at this point unless u find a team that was infatuated with him in draft and there were not that many since he lasted through most of first round

18. houtz

houtz Pay the man!

It was all Armando's opinion.

19. Birdmond

Birdmond FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Not funny. I despise that.

20. Fin Thirteen

Fin Thirteen FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I think more likely is that we trade big Paul. He's arguably at his max value, he's 29, he's a good 4-3 interior guy but a dominant 3-4 nose. We would resign Starks and kick Odrick inside full time.

Not saying it will happen, just that its more likely (and more sensible) than trading Odrick. Soliai had a ton of suitors when we resigned him. Someone will pay top dollar for him.

21. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

It does not make sense to me why a guy who is currently the 2nd best best pass rusher on the team especially playing inside we would consider trading especially on a team looking for pass rushers. Like every one is saying put the Odrick inside draft another outside pass rusher and be done. Of course I thought it was wrong to trade Vonte Davis on a team with a weak secondary but we did it. I am all about drafting better playerss etc but you do not get rid of current ones until you have their replacement in the fold. Brandon Marshall trade I accepted because he could be a big distraction but Vonte could be managed. Those 2 second rounders we'd burned on Marshall 4 years ago if used on wide recievers most likely would have produced a player close to his caliber on the team this year. Just goes to show you how the fans and media shouting for that quick fix end up creating a long term hole. Really we had the missing players in Marshall and Vonte at positions of need on the team at the beginning of the year last year which would have most likely gotten to the playoffs. This rebuilding with new coaches has killed this team since Shula left. Which at first is why I did not want to change coaches for changes sake last year but of course now it's proven Tony cannot coach its turned into a decent move so farnfrom that stand point just to bad the new guys did not stick with the old schemes while they slowly tooled the roster.

22. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

I really hope this is true and that they re-sign Randy Starks.

I agree with Armando Salguero in that the statements coming out of Kevin Coyle have indicated that they feel very perplexed about where and how to play Jared Odrick. They recognize he's not doing everything they want at defensive end yet they don't think he can play defensive tackle either.

23. matt11390

matt11390 Starter

Their evaluations are probably spot on since they see him every day but my question is why. Why can't Odrick play DT? He has the size and pass rushing experience. I think of the Giants and their pass rushers all across the DL. We need those type players at DT also. Why can't Odrick do this?

24. PSU Cane

PSU Cane Starter

He can play DT. He did it in college and played well against the best OLinemen that conference had to offer. He was quick inside and shot gaps to disrupt plays in the backfield. If they want him to play 2 gap technique....yeah, then i could see him struggle b/c that's not who he is. But he can definitely play DT. The guy has ability and is young AND cheap right now. It would be FOOLISH to get rid of him.

25. blitzhappy

blitzhappy Well-Known Member

I thought he played very well on the inside in the 4-3.

26. Dr. Phin

Dr. Phin Scout Team

People around here want to keep Odrick, kick him inside, and let Starks go...that is really stupid IMO. Let Odrick go....he sucks, and I don't want to hear, "he is better inside." They played him inside at times last year....he still sucked. Keep Starks and let Odrick walk. You can get the same production from any journeyman lineman out there. He was a complete waste of a 1st.

27. Dr. Phin

Dr. Phin Scout Team

And also....no one is going to give us a second for this bust...he is giving 4th round output...

28. SR 7

SR 7 Banned Hammered

But odrik has ferocious hands, technique, yada yada yada.

"evaluators" fall in love with linemen so easily because it is easier to analyze them as opposed to skill players. It's an easy and safe pick.

Ireland has not struck on 1 1st rounder outside of Poucey

29. MrEd

MrEd Banned Hammered

I too am of this school of thought,Nublar, however there are reports that Miami is indeed negotiating with Starks. And with Ireland kinda saying in that interview that they've already drawn up the "board" on who they will attempt to keep and that trades are on the table...that if indeed Ireland does end up bringing Starks back to say insure the run defense doesn't suffer due to change that Odrick could very well be a potential player to use in a "TRADE UP" scenario to jump maybe back into the bottom of the 1st round for a player still available? Especially if they should re-sign Starks and then we see them pursue a Michael Johnson or Cliff Avril in FA too.

Yes, Odrick is still cheap and can rotate with both Starks inside and that Michael Johnson or Cliff Avril in a replacement role for McDaniel who would be allowed to walk in thos scenario, but we do have a rising Randall who can man McDaniel spot and Vernon rotating with Johnson or Avril and use Odrick to move back up for a player we may need ie a CB or WR? Idk.

I like the let Starks walk, move Odrick inside and pursue a Johnson or Avril too. But just thinking this could very well be a potential plan Ireland has.

30. Birdmond

If Starks is resigned AND Miami can get a second round pick for Odrick I am all in. DO IT.

31. MrEd

MrEd Banned Hammered

I do recall that too. When someone asked Coyle is Odrick better inside? Coyle response was no we like the role he's playing.

32. tcdrover

tcdrover Pro Bowler

This time of the year, you start to get tons of misinformation shovelled out by GMs.

I would make sure to sign Starks, if they think they can get an impact player to replace Odrick I'm for it,
    otherwise I'd like them both back.

I'd like to see Sean in another uniform come preseason. :d-day:

33. UCF Nation

UCF Nation Well-Known Member

For an upper 2nd pick, sure why not? This pick could also get us back in the first round for an impact player.

34. Birdmond

Absolutely.

35. Valandui

Valandui Lumberjack Batman Donator

Or we could have just taken an impact player in the first place instead of dumping yet another first round pick for a loss.

36. Austin Tatious

Austin Tatious Starter

Classic Dolphins. Draft a player and deal him later for less than what was paid. And have your draft picks not sign a second deal. Constant turnover. No building a critical mass for a winning team long-term. Completely the opposite of the Ravens. They draft a nucleus, extend their draft picks, keep building on the core, and add free agents judiciously.

If Miami loses Sean Smith, Long, and Hartline, the Dolphins will have very few players on the roster drafted while Ireland was GM who see a second contract. Even if those guys do come back, there aren't many. Merling, Henne, Langford, Davis, Pat White, and Pat Turner are just some of the high picks drafted who already moved on before they could sign a second contract. Those are six picks that should be forming part of a nucleus, and now three more draft picks could go. Meanwhile, the Dolphins continue to be a sub-.500 team with dwindling fan base, no national profile, etc.

You gotta draft players that you want to be in a longer term plan.

37. utahphinsfan

utahphinsfan Puck Fitzburgh

I agree w/ Hayden & Nublar. Odrick would IMO do well in a 3 technique w/ Big Paul in 0 or 1 technique.

38. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

Odrick MIGHT do well on the inside in a 3-technique position but unfortunately we don't know because the Dolphins have had him playing end. Thing is, we have a guy that we KNOW plays that position well. Really well. Damn near Pro Bowl well. Why give him up in exchange for a "maybe"? I don't understand that.

I think the smart move would be to re-sign Starks and then see if you could trade Odrick. Even if you can't trade him, move him back to the interior and have him rotate more actively with Starks and Soliai. He has to focus on that position if you want to get a better idea what his real ceiling is.

39. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

We're a heck of a long way from Burger King level. We haven't been Burger King in nearly 30 years. I'd sign up for Burger King right now.

Jeff Ireland would have traded the Whopper a long time ago.

40. Dr. Phin

Dr. Phin Scout Team

Yes, we must keep all our busts....

I has nothing to do with dealing them later for less than what we got them for...it is all about the fact we draft these busts in the first place. If a guy is a bust...get rid of him. Keeping a player just based on draft position is a joke.