Jarvis Jones

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Lee2000, Mar 21, 2013.

Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
  1. Lee2000

Lee2000 FinHeaven VIP

Nothing like a bomb before the draft:

Georgia OLB Jarvis Jones completed an official forty time of 4.92 seconds during the school's pro day.
    Some will point to this time as a reason for Jones "falling", but we believe this speed shows up on tape. Jones wins with snap anticipation and a great motor to work around the edge, but we question if he might be limited to that role early in his career due to a lack of a counter move. Jones also completed 20 bench press reps and a 9 foot, 3 inch broad jump, which would've tied for the worst among Combine participants. There is some buzz that Jones tweak a hamstring on his first run, but he isn't the athlete some made him out to be.

Could impact who is available at 12 and could drop him out of the first round. Seth Emerson on twitter, rotoworld.com, under NFL draft, and yes, you could move this to draft.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2013
  2. HarryBagpipe

HarryBagpipe Archibald Meatpants Super Donator Donator

Draft forum?

3. whizafriz

whizafriz A True Fan

I'd be super stoked to take him. He'd be the final cog in a hell of a LB lineup. Would be great to watch.

4. hemidemon

hemidemon Starter

The 40 time is the most useless stat in football. I'm more concerned about game speed.

5. Lee2000

Lee2000 FinHeaven VIP

Georgia OLB Jarvis Jones completed an official forty time of 4.92 seconds during the school's pro day.
    Some will point to this time as a reason for Jones "falling", but we believe this speed shows up on tape. Jones wins with snap anticipation and a great motor to work around the edge, but we question if he might be limited to that role early in his career due to a lack of a counter move. Jones also completed 20 bench press reps and a 9 foot, 3 inch broad jump, which would've tied for the worst among Combine participants. There is some buzz that Jones tweak a hamstring on his first run, but he isn't the athlete some made him out to be. (rotoworld.com under nfl draft, seth emerson, twitter)

6. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

he plays like a 4.6 I think he is the best player in the draft and now it looks like he will almost 100% fall to #12
    PLEASE IRELAND DRAFT HIM he would fill two needs with one pick (pass rusher and LB)
    we can use him like Von Miller and he can play stand up d end or put his hand down in Nickel 4-2-5 Packages. In 3-3-5 nickel we can use Wake Starks Vernon on DL and Jarvis Ellerbe and Wheeler at LB. There is plenty of CBs who are better than Marshall and Patterson available in round 2. This guy is going to be a stud. If anyone watch the Florida Georgia game he single handedly won the game for Georgia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9UWiKrUQCU

7. D0lphan72

D0lphan72 War... War never changes Donator

ive never really heard of him, i do know that 40 times dont mean **** though

8. Geforce

Geforce FinHeaven VIP

Jarvis Jones runs 40 after hamstring injury scare

Georgia Bulldogs outside linebacker Jarvis Jones opted not to work out at the NFL Combine, making his showing at today's pro day all the more important. For a moment, that gamble appeared to have backfired as Jones apparently pulled a hamstring running the 40-yard dash.

Athens Banner-Herald beat writer Marc Weiszer and 247Sports reporter Gentry Estes reported the hamstring tweak as it happened. It doesn't appear to be a huge issue, though, because Jones ran the 40 again without a hitch as Seth Emerson of The Macon Telegraph and Columbus Ledger-Enquirer reported later.

Unfortunately, Jones probably didn't achieve the time he was looking for. Weiszer reported Jones at a 4.85 in the 40-yard dash. By comparison, linebacker Alec Ogletree and safety Bacarri Rambo ran 4.53 and 4.50, respectively. Likewise, Jones put up underwhelming numbers in the broad jump, recording 9'3 and 8'7 on his two attempts according to D. Orlando Ledbetter of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Jones did look good in position drills according to Tony Pauline of DraftInsider.net.

Read the rest here
    http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-dr...pro-day-results-jarvis-jones-hamstring-injury

9. rev kev

rev kev THE DEFLATOR

What was he running on sand?

I agree with thosee who rank anticipation, inteeligence and motor, ahead of a 40 time esp. without equipment on

10. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

PS
    we could also run 3-4 out of our base 4-3 and not have to change personnel

4-3 Defense

Weakside End Wake Nose Tackle Soliai Defensive Tackle Starks Strongisde End Odrick
    Will Backer Wheeler Mike Backer Ellerbe Sam Backer Jarvis Jones

3-4 Defense

Weakside End Odrick Nose Tackle Soliai Strongside End Starks
    Will Backer Wake Left ILB Ellerbe RILB Wheeler Sam Backer Jarvis Jones

11. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

Just note that scouts have known for a long time that Jarvis Jones would not run or jump well.

12. TedSlimmJr

TedSlimmJr Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

Make a decision based on what you see on film, or workout numbers. That's essentially your two choices. He did look good in position drills though.

13. arammell

arammell Well-Known Member

If jones falls to #12 I would probably soil myself! I still don't believe it happens though.

14. TedSlimmJr

TedSlimmJr Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

The difficult decision here with Jones is making an accurate assessment on his upside. A lot of kids simply max out in college. Hell, a lot of 'em max out in high school and wash out at the collegiate level. There's a strong possibility that Jones is already as good as he's ever going to be. The kid dominated college football.

I think at this point, you have to consider whether or not you'd prefer the upside with his teammate in Cornelius Washington. Despite the lack of sack numbers, the upside with him is as significant as any pass rusher in the draft. He's pressured the hell of quarterbacks the last 2 years despite not quite being able to finish. I thought he looked virtually unblockable at the Senior Bowl. His ability to convert speed to power on contact is unmatched for the most part. Freakish athlete that set the combine record for bench reps by a linebacker.... it shows in his bull rush.

Sack statistics can always be misleading. They're usually a culmination of several different factors coming together which the guy getting the sack may have contributed the least towards. However, pressure is the key. Pressure is what you want....it's what affects the quarterback. You don't have to sack him. Cornelius Washington gets pressure on the quarterback... and don't really even understand what he's doing yet.

I just think this is the type of kid who could explode at the next level with a tad more refinement. He's almost there now as a week's worth of practice at the Senior Bowl showed. Few compare in terms of physical tools, athleticism, and upside.

15. DolphinCurry

DolphinCurry Well-Known Member

Even before this news he has a bad case of spinal narrowing near the neck area. Stay away.

16. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

yeah I've liked him all season... he was just overlooked because of Jenkins, Geathers, Jarvis Jones, Olgeltree, Commings, Rambo, Williams, that's 7 teamates who will get drafted this year. 8 when you throw in Washington... that's got to be some kind of record right? I agree Jarvis Jones doesn't have the upside but I think his floor as a player is a minimum of 7-8 sacks a year. He makes plays. Can't have enough guys on your team who do make plays. I'll Jarvis at #12 and Washington #77

17. thefranchisedef

thefranchisedef A True Fan

He is good at making plays but is definitely slow on film. Isn't a sideline to sideline player. He's slow! He's going to fall in the draft but he's going to be a good football player

---------- Post added at 02:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 AM ----------

Oh and te'o definitely plays faster and reads plays faster. Watch any film and you will agree.. Jarvis just has a nose for the qb, diagnoses plays extremely fast

18. datruth55

datruth55 Starter

I'll pass. I don't remember once all year last year when Coyle used his linebackers to blitz. They were used mainly in coverage on passing downs and obviously used in the run game. I don't see Jones as a fit for what Coyle is doing on defense. If anything I see us taking a pass rush interior lineman over a pass rushing LB.

19. Geforce

Geforce FinHeaven VIP

Maybe that's why Karlos Dansby and Kevin Burnette have been replaced by Darnell Ellerbe and Phillip Wheeler. Both of whom are younger, faster and very good blitzers.

20. datruth55

datruth55 Starter

They're also better in coverage...but then if you already got good blitzers why would you draft another when you have bigger needs at CB, OL and Safety.

21. Exuro

Exuro Well-Known Member

I saw Miami run the A Gap/ Sugar Blitz a ton last year, do you have a different definition of blitzing then I do.?

22. fishbanger

fishbanger Phin fan since 1970!

If his pro day was a hamstring problem th GA coaches willlet us know. I he ca run 4.8 or better then take him. Otherwise take someone else like Werner or a CB. We need those positions too.

23. reese13

reese13 Scout Team

I actually think we would be better off taking Alec Ogletree, the other UGA linebacker, and moving him outside. He is a great blitzer and former safety so he would give a ton a flexibility at the OLB spot.

24. Birdmond

Birdmond FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

It was 35 degrees running into the wind. Non issue.

25. adamcatz

adamcatz Member

I like Jarvis jones. I'm just not sure he has a significant enough affect on our pass rush to justify taking at #12. Bigger need positions like CB and OL or upgrading the pass rush with a DE seems more logical to me.

Maybe I'm wrong about jones, but I watched the UF vs Georgia game and I just didn't see the same game changing ability that jumps out at you like you see when you watch Clowney from USC.

26. reese13

reese13 Scout Team

If you didnt see the game changing ability vs Florida, then you wont see it ever. That was easily his best game. 13 tackles, 4.5 for loss, 3 sacks, 2 forced fumbles and 2 fumble recoveries. He dominated that game. Id still take Ogletree over Jones though.

27. WutCanBrownDo4U

WutCanBrownDo4U Rookie

It would be a great day when we don't have to worry about needs and be able to draft the best player available, and that very well may be Jarvis Jones at the #12 pick. He is a great football player but with concerning health issues that may be overlooked, but if healthy he is a very valuable asset.