Jarvis Jones | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jarvis Jones

Lee2000

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
Nothing like a bomb before the draft:

Georgia OLB Jarvis Jones completed an official forty time of 4.92 seconds during the school's pro day.
Some will point to this time as a reason for Jones "falling", but we believe this speed shows up on tape. Jones wins with snap anticipation and a great motor to work around the edge, but we question if he might be limited to that role early in his career due to a lack of a counter move. Jones also completed 20 bench press reps and a 9 foot, 3 inch broad jump, which would've tied for the worst among Combine participants. There is some buzz that Jones tweak a hamstring on his first run, but he isn't the athlete some made him out to be.

Could impact who is available at 12 and could drop him out of the first round. Seth Emerson on twitter, rotoworld.com, under NFL draft, and yes, you could move this to draft.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be super stoked to take him. He'd be the final cog in a hell of a LB lineup. Would be great to watch.

The 40 time is the most useless stat in football. I'm more concerned about game speed.

Georgia OLB Jarvis Jones completed an official forty time of 4.92 seconds during the school's pro day.
Some will point to this time as a reason for Jones "falling", but we believe this speed shows up on tape. Jones wins with snap anticipation and a great motor to work around the edge, but we question if he might be limited to that role early in his career due to a lack of a counter move. Jones also completed 20 bench press reps and a 9 foot, 3 inch broad jump, which would've tied for the worst among Combine participants. There is some buzz that Jones tweak a hamstring on his first run, but he isn't the athlete some made him out to be. (rotoworld.com under nfl draft, seth emerson, twitter)

he plays like a 4.6 I think he is the best player in the draft and now it looks like he will almost 100% fall to #12
PLEASE IRELAND DRAFT HIM he would fill two needs with one pick (pass rusher and LB)
we can use him like Von Miller and he can play stand up d end or put his hand down in Nickel 4-2-5 Packages. In 3-3-5 nickel we can use Wake Starks Vernon on DL and Jarvis Ellerbe and Wheeler at LB. There is plenty of CBs who are better than Marshall and Patterson available in round 2. This guy is going to be a stud. If anyone watch the Florida Georgia game he single handedly won the game for Georgia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9UWiKrUQCU

ive never really heard of him, i do know that 40 times dont mean **** though

Jarvis Jones runs 40 after hamstring injury scare

Georgia Bulldogs outside linebacker Jarvis Jones opted not to work out at the NFL Combine, making his showing at today's pro day all the more important. For a moment, that gamble appeared to have backfired as Jones apparently pulled a hamstring running the 40-yard dash.

Athens Banner-Herald beat writer Marc Weiszer and 247Sports reporter Gentry Estes reported the hamstring tweak as it happened. It doesn't appear to be a huge issue, though, because Jones ran the 40 again without a hitch as Seth Emerson of The Macon Telegraph and Columbus Ledger-Enquirer reported later.

Unfortunately, Jones probably didn't achieve the time he was looking for. Weiszer reported Jones at a 4.85 in the 40-yard dash. By comparison, linebacker Alec Ogletree and safety Bacarri Rambo ran 4.53 and 4.50, respectively. Likewise, Jones put up underwhelming numbers in the broad jump, recording 9'3 and 8'7 on his two attempts according to D. Orlando Ledbetter of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Jones did look good in position drills according to Tony Pauline of DraftInsider.net.

Read the rest here
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-dr...pro-day-results-jarvis-jones-hamstring-injury

What was he running on sand?

I agree with thosee who rank anticipation, inteeligence and motor, ahead of a 40 time esp. without equipment on

PS
we could also run 3-4 out of our base 4-3 and not have to change personnel

4-3 Defense

Weakside End Wake Nose Tackle Soliai Defensive Tackle Starks Strongisde End Odrick
Will Backer Wheeler Mike Backer Ellerbe Sam Backer Jarvis Jones

3-4 Defense

Weakside End Odrick Nose Tackle Soliai Strongside End Starks
Will Backer Wake Left ILB Ellerbe RILB Wheeler Sam Backer Jarvis Jones

Just note that scouts have known for a long time that Jarvis Jones would not run or jump well.

Make a decision based on what you see on film, or workout numbers. That's essentially your two choices. He did look good in position drills though.

If jones falls to #12 I would probably soil myself! I still don't believe it happens though.

The difficult decision here with Jones is making an accurate assessment on his upside. A lot of kids simply max out in college. Hell, a lot of 'em max out in high school and wash out at the collegiate level. There's a strong possibility that Jones is already as good as he's ever going to be. The kid dominated college football.

I think at this point, you have to consider whether or not you'd prefer the upside with his teammate in Cornelius Washington. Despite the lack of sack numbers, the upside with him is as significant as any pass rusher in the draft. He's pressured the hell of quarterbacks the last 2 years despite not quite being able to finish. I thought he looked virtually unblockable at the Senior Bowl. His ability to convert speed to power on contact is unmatched for the most part. Freakish athlete that set the combine record for bench reps by a linebacker.... it shows in his bull rush.

Sack statistics can always be misleading. They're usually a culmination of several different factors coming together which the guy getting the sack may have contributed the least towards. However, pressure is the key. Pressure is what you want....it's what affects the quarterback. You don't have to sack him. Cornelius Washington gets pressure on the quarterback... and don't really even understand what he's doing yet.

I just think this is the type of kid who could explode at the next level with a tad more refinement. He's almost there now as a week's worth of practice at the Senior Bowl showed. Few compare in terms of physical tools, athleticism, and upside.

Even before this news he has a bad case of spinal narrowing near the neck area. Stay away.
Nothing like a bomb before the draft:

Some will point to this time as a reason for Jones "falling", but we believe this speed shows up on tape. Jones wins with snap anticipation and a great motor to work around the edge, but we question if he might be limited to that role early in his career due to a lack of a counter move. Jones also completed 20 bench press reps and a 9 foot, 3 inch broad jump, which would've tied for the worst among Combine participants. There is some buzz that Jones tweak a hamstring on his first run, but he isn't the athlete some made him out to be.

Could impact who is available at 12 and could drop him out of the first round. Seth Emerson on twitter, rotoworld.com, under NFL draft, and yes, you could move this to draft.

Back
Top Bottom