Jarvis Landry contract discussion megathread | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jarvis Landry contract discussion megathread

Also if Landry leaves, we'll get a low 3rd rd comp pick assuming his replacement is already on the team
More likely a franchise tag and trade for a 1st or maybe a 2nd and 3rd.

What other players are due for a new contract? and their expect numbers?

I keep reading that the Dolphins are wanting to get J. Thomas, D. Parker, Ajayi, Drake, Caroo and Jakeem Grant more involved in the passing game this season. (Didnt mention Fosano, who I think will be great for the Dolphins)

If that happens, how many balls will Landry get, and will it be enough for the Dolphins to offer Top 7 money?

I keep reading that the Dolphins are wanting to get J. Thomas, D. Parker, Ajayi, Drake, Caroo and Jakeem Grant more involved in the passing game this season. (Didnt mention Fosano, who I think will be great for the Dolphins)

If that happens, how many balls will Landry get, and will it be enough for the Dolphins to offer Top 7 money?

I agree. Landry's production will go down this year; giving him a big contract now would be a complete waste of money. Landry gets yards and 1st downs, but only scored what... 4 or 5 touchdowns? IMO, it was more important to re-sign Stills; a proven deep-threat WR would be harder to replace than a slot WR. Miami already has plenty of guys who can catch the short passes.

The problem here is that its a pretty foregone conclusion that Devante is about to be a monster. When that happens, if we've already given Jarvis his contract, we are basically forced to let Devante walk bc we will have too much money on the books with Stills and Landry...at least this is the way I see it. If im wrong please tell me bc I would love to be wrong here. I'm hoping we can keep all 3 of these guys for at least a few years but im not sure we can with all 3 playing at a high level. Truth be told though if Parker lives up to expectations, he will be more valuable as a true #1 than Landry could ever be

There is always the possibility, that if Parker comes on strong that they would cut/trade Stills after they pick up Parker's fifth year option so they could get the most out of Stills contract. Even though stills had a really good season last year, I still see them letting Stills go before they let either Parker or Landry go. But who knows? It's a crazy league

I seriously doubt we franchise Landry because that tag number
would be a direct cap hit which will be in the $15-$16 million dollar range.

Add that $15-$16 million dollar cap hit in 2018 to the increase
cap hit numbers from 2017 to 2018 on just 9 players, which is an increase of $41 million
to go with Landry's cap hit...$56-$57 million increase in our cap
numbers from 2017 to 2016

Now we can release players after this season to lower our cap hit but those
released players will have to be replaced. Maxwell and Pouncey could save ^17 million on our cap
if released after this season

Suh's cap hit goes up by $7 million next season over this one
Jones's cap hit goes up $7.8 million
Maxwell's goes up $1.5 million
Thomas's cap hit goes up $1 million
Stills goes up $6 million
Alonso's goes up 6.8 million
Branch goes up $5 million
Timmons goes up $4.4 million
James goes up $6.6 million

That's a $46.1 million cap hit increase on the above 9 players
from this upcoming season versus next season not counting
if we franchise Landry

I love Landry but he may price Miami right out of the bidding. Landry will see less targets this year so his numbers will drop, but he will still want to be paid top 7 wr money. If Caroo or Ford show any promise I'm saying they will let Landry walk unless his demands are lowered.

I love Landry but he may price Miami right out of the bidding. Landry will see less targets this year so his numbers will drop, but he will still want to be paid top 7 wr money. If Caroo or Ford show any promise I'm saying they will let Landry walk unless his demands are lowered.

Carroo and Ford would have to show A LOT of promise! Landry brings intangibles that can't be overlooked. Hopefully, it gets done soon at about $12/mil a yr.

Last edited:
This is the OV situation all over again. If Miami doesn't sign him before the season then Landry is as good as gone. His price tag will only go up. Even if he has a bad year his asking price isn't going down. It's a lose-lose for Miami if they don't sign him prior to Week 1

This is the OV situation all over again. If Miami doesn't sign him before the season then Landry is as good as gone. His price tag will only go up. Even if he has a bad year his asking price isn't going down. It's a lose-lose for Miami if they don't sign him prior to Week 1

I think it has more to do with Gase wanting to see how our offense evolves, balances rather than expecting Landry's ask to go down.

i don't buy that he's looking for top 3 money...might be looking for top 5 considering his approach as in "if we have to we will play it out"...offer him top 10 and see if he bites...if not wait it out and hope dvp makes the leap so you gain some small bit of leverage back

not that landry will care...he hits free agency he will command top 5 money...you pay top 5 money in free agency for non top 5 guys all the time...

I like this philosophy. It certainly worked with Olivier Vernon.

But did it really? Sure we got the comp picks which are extremely valuable, but OV is a hell of a football player to lose. Look at the resources we are using to try and replace him. You've got Mario's contract, Branch, and now a first round pick. I like our situation at DE now, but it's been very costly to fix. Had we tagged OV, perhaps he signs with us for around 15 mil a year because he doesn't seem like the type that wants to play on a tag. My point is, we need to start using the franchise tag. Not the transition tag, but the franchise tag. It buys you time, isn't risky for the future, and you get to retain an elite player for another year in his prime. This is what we should do with Landry if things don't work out, buy time and another year of his prime. After that he can walk and still give us the comp picks in the future if necessary, but this franchise needs to start buying time, it's kind of valuable. If we want to truly compete with NE these next 2 years (hopefully they drop off after that) we are going to need Juice and that's only going to cost us around 9 mil per year on average which is an absolute steal. 2 years from now, everything will change, but we need to stay as competitive as possible through 2018, which coincidentally is the end of HoF Cam Wake's contract. Then a new era begins...

But did it really? Sure we got the comp picks which are extremely valuable, but OV is a hell of a football player to lose. Look at the resources we are using to try and replace him. You've got Mario's contract, Branch, and now a first round pick. I like our situation at DE now, but it's been very costly to fix. Had we tagged OV, perhaps he signs with us for around 15 mil a year because he doesn't seem like the type that wants to play on a tag. My point is, we need to start using the franchise tag. Not the transition tag, but the franchise tag. It buys you time, isn't risky for the future, and you get to retain an elite player for another year in his prime. This is what we should do with Landry if things don't work out, buy time and another year of his prime. After that he can walk and still give us the comp picks in the future if necessary, but this franchise needs to start buying time, it's kind of valuable. If we want to truly compete with NE these next 2 years (hopefully they drop off after that) we are going to need Juice and that's only going to cost us around 9 mil per year on average which is an absolute steal. 2 years from now, everything will change, but we need to stay as competitive as possible through 2018, which coincidentally is the end of HoF Cam Wake's contract. Then a new era begins...

I guess I didn't lay the sarcasm on thick enough.

Landry is spoken of as the "heart of the team" or that he get's the offense fired up. Gase is gradually aquiring players with that same alpha attitude and team mentality, so the intangibles Landry has will be had by most. He is a slot receiver.

I guess I didn't lay the sarcasm on thick enough.

Don't have time to determine what's sarcasm and what isn't. We should still tag Juice like we failed to do with OV. Don't see any scenario other than a trade/injury where Juice isn't a Dolphin in 2018.

Back
Top Bottom