Jarvis Landry contract discussion megathread

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DKphin, Jun 21, 2017.

1. TeeMoney

TeeMoney Penny Wise and Dollar Dumb Finheaven VIP

[​IMG]

Goin` Deep likes this.
  2. gofins60

gofins60 A True Fan

I don't even like the guy. I see a player with an unhealthy obsession in his competition with Beckham. If Beckham makes a one-handed catch, and then so does Landry. Stupid... just like his bone-headed penalties because he can't control his emotions. IMO, no way is he the "heart and soul" of the offense. What were the main differences in the offense under Gase as compared to under Philbin/Lazor? Gase made more use of the running game and the vertical passing game, and had success with them. Philbin's philosophy was basically "throw short". Gase wanted the same thing, but at least he changed up and added in the run and the deep ball. That's right... I believe that the running game and the deep ball are more important to the offense than anything that Landry contributes. If Miami had a big, tough, nasty, old-school o-line they would have been even more successful. If Landry asks for too much money I'd let him walk. That money would be better spent on building a formidable o-line once and for all.

Bufeo likes this.
  3. JakeemThe Dream

JakeemThe Dream Well-Known Member

I can see that you don't like him. lol

They're "real" best friends that the NFL publicizes lol Are they supposed to lie or act like they're not.

Name one thing Landry has done that makes him a cancer or bad guy for the team?

You'd take Beckham even with his dumb penalties and you know it. The good outweigh the bad by a longshot with both of them.

Landry wears his emotions on his sleeve which works both good (trucking over hightower/blocking) and bad (penalties)

Olivier Vernon had boneheaded penalties as does Suh. (Still both all-pros)

Nobody ever said the running game isn't super important or the deep ball Lol

So you'd use the money to pay guards? We have a 1st round Right and LT already.

Gabe Jackson just got 5yr 56 mil...Is that money better spent for you?

Obviously every fan in the NFL wants a big nasty O-line. It's not that easy otherwise it would be done lol
    (We've tried for years as you know)

This is about what Jarvis Landry means to the team. We'd be screwed without Landry.

Who's the heart and soul then?

4. Dmarino110

Dmarino110 Starter

Note from Moderator - Please put all further debates, discussions and articles (at least until he is actually offered a new contract) in this thread, we do not need 20 separate debates regarding when/if Landry should be offered an extension.

If you sign him at the end of the year doesnt it become a much larger check that if you sign him 6 months ago?

Im in orlando so I dont get to read about the fins every day but I dont get the thinking...I honestly (with our history) see the FO screwing the pooch and Landry leaving to another team...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2017
  5. spiketex

spiketex Kiko Alonso - El Bravo 47 the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

He wants and expects to be paid as a top 5 NFL WR. While he is the best slot receiver in the game, he doesn't score many TDs. I expect that Miami has told him that if he can lift his game to the next level, then he will be paid accordingly.

6. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs foos-ball is the devil! Donator

Landry will get his dough. My guess is 5 years, 65M, 30M guaranteed

7. foozool13

foozool13 #12 #13 #23 #29 #54 #99 Donator

Because everyone is on vacation.

8. TeeMoney

TeeMoney Penny Wise and Dollar Dumb Finheaven VIP

Landry is trying to prove that he is, as a WR, what he thinks he is - Odell, Bryant etc.... He will be humbled in that thinking.

Goin` Deep likes this.
  9. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater Optimist Homer Finheaven VIP

If they were going to sign him in 2017, seems like they should be getting it done right now....not really any major milestones left...draft picks signed, FA more or less finished.

I'm guessing it's just a case of being a million or two/yr too far apart right now.

10. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

OK folks, Landry's contract is a very popular topic on the site for obvious reasons. We have had a great many recent threads discussing when/if Landry should be offered a deal and how much this contract offer should be worth. Feel free to discuss this much as you like, but lets keep it all in this thread until it is announced that the Fins have actually offered him a deal.

11. fansinceGWilson

fansinceGWilson FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

OK,someone will have to explain this to me. (If this is too far OT, I figure the OT will delete it).
    For round numbers, let's say Landry is making $500k. Miami offers him $12.5mil/yr for 5 yrs with $30mil guaranteed. He holds out and gets $13mil/yr with $30mil guaranteed. So he gets $5mil more but has to play for $500k til then. And if he signs this summer, he gets out of the contract a yr sooner. Yes, I understand risk of injury during the new contract, but there is risk of injury THIS season. I've never understood these players who hold out and get little more than the original offer. I'm aware there is ego involved ("I want to be paid top 3 money"), but passing on $12mil. Maybe I'm to dollar-centered.

1 dol fan likes this.
  12. Eesti

Eesti Rookie

Personally I love Jarvis. I think he has some growing up to do BUT he is a pleasure to watch. I love the mentality but no so much the bonehead, after the whistle, nonsense. It's amusing when the coaches and players automatically know to grab him up after a play and calm him down. Like pulling a bit bull from a small child.

That being said, he has been fed like a #1 receiver for the last two years. What happens when DeVante Parker steps to the forefront and starts getting targeting more than Landry? gets more yardage? points? Becomes a true #1 receiver and star?

He may also have to contend with Julius Thomas taking some targets from him as well as Ajayi.

Not a bad problem to have and I think they are close enough as a team to handle it.

2016:
    Landry's targets per snap is 1 target per every 6.81 snaps. (94 receptions on 131targets)
    DVP targets per snap is 1 target per every 8.45 snaps. (56 receptions on 87 targets)

...and DVP played 1 fewer game and started half as many games.

DVP averaged 19 ypr as a rookie and only 13 last year. I think he is probably a 16 ypr guy. Multiply that by 80 receptions and he is netting about 1280 yards.

Jarvis at (a lower) 80 receptions (down from 94) is only getting about 848 yards. I think he will improve on his yards per catch this year from a career average of 10.6 up to about 13.4 ypr (12.1 in 2016) and he gets about 1072 yards and his TD's will increase from 4 to 8.

I could also see Stills reception count and TD's go down as well.

13. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

http://mia.247sports.com/Bolt/Landry-wont-negotiate-new-deal-this-season-70386174

14. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

Hope Miami doesn't lose Landry. Hope he doesn't get hurt either before a new deal.

15. VBCheeseGrater

If he got hurt this year, as in career threatening, i would be surprised if that did not set in motion a players association dispute on rookie contracts, and what to do when guys are grossly outperforming them.

Would be a shame for all involved, thats for sure

16. Xbrett82us

Xbrett82us Starter

This just feels way too risky. Landry seemingly has nothing to gain by doing this and everything to lose. Sure, he could have an even more productive season than last year and raise his price some, but the chances of him suffering an injury are too great to take the chance on waiting for a payout next season.

17. Goin` Deep

Goin` Deep "Pick your guy and let it fly" Finheaven VIP Donator

Could get interesting if Parkers numbers improve and Thomas catches 40-50 balls. Jarvis' numbers could very well go down....then what? How much is he worth then?

18. fansinceGWilson

fansinceGWilson FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I've already expressed my lack of contract logic in another thread so I won't revisit that. That said, to me, a player like Landry (WR), has a number of factors to consider. If the OL gets the run game clicking, that could spell lack of overall pass attempts. No one knows how Parker will affect Landry's attempts. Nor Stills. Miami has 3 TE who, overall, can take more attempts from Landry. JA is said to have improved pass-catching and Drake, Williams are back. Yes, I know receivers are paid for things OTHER THAN receptions, but those receptions play a big part in the contract. And even a small (e.g., 3 game) injury can be a factor in negotiations. Sorry, but if I'm a player who is offered a contract close to my ask, there are too many potentially negative factors for me to hole out for a few bucks more. OTOH, THE over-riding factor seems to be "3rd highest paid." "highest paid," or some other ego stroking goal.

19. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Well-Known Member

Yeah, your agent already told us...and said not really.

This is one of the stranger contract tactics I've witnessed.

20. artdnj

artdnj Time is Now Finheaven VIP

that means it will get done this year.

21. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Get.it.done.

ozman and TannDaMan17 like this.
  22. ozman

ozman Rookie

Please Buddha ! Get this done

23. malzacher

malzacher Scout Team

I have a feeling Landry will get franchised. The cap keeps going up so why not wait and see what you have in Parker. (IMO) ..by then they'll have made some veteran moves for cap purposes and be in perfect position to re sign both Parker and Landry.

24. 1 dol fan

1 dol fan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I agree with the sentiment about choosing to play out his final year of rookie contract is silly when you have so much sitting in front of you as far as guaranteed money and salary increase THIS YEAR!

He can literally go from making less than 1mil this season to a solid 8-12mil salary AND the guaranteed/signing bonus. He will make so much more (over what projects to being a long and successful career) doing a deal this year, getting to his 3rd contract one year earlier which will allow him to take advantage of being 28-30 instead of past the savvy vet stage of his career and into the declining star.

Basically getting paid a year early is better for short term (ripping up rookie deal and get better pay today) as well as long term (get to next contract before he becomes too old to command good money/decent length of contract

25. Blackcreekbandit

Blackcreekbandit Drunk Finheaven VIP Donator

This right here is the way I have been seeing the situation from the outside looking in. Think long term Jarvis take a good offer now get off that bs rookie deal that you're out performing and look into the future where it's a pretty safe bet he will still be at the very least a serviceable wr who gets paid a midrange vet premium

26. Michael Scott

Michael Scott Well-Known Member

Disagree with being forced to let Parker walk if he breaks out. Stills would be cut. Simply put.

hoops and Eesti like this.
  27. hoops

hoops exited stage left

He's betting on himself. As he should be

28. Jerrysanders

Jerrysanders Well-Known Member

If the dolphins pay him top 5 money with DVP on our roster, then I understand why ppl think our management sucks.

29. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero Donator

I don't think he has anywhere near the talent or the heart of Landry

30. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

Every time Landry was targeted 10 or more times
    last season our team won 1 out of 7 games

The rest of the season Landry averaged 6 targets per game
    and we went 9-1 in those games

6 or less receptions for Landry in a game and we're 8-1

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    NorFlaFin and Bufeo like this.
  31. Sons Of Shula

Sons Of Shula not a dull boy Finheaven VIP Donator

Yeah . . .

Now does that really have anything to do with Landry or is it really a result of run/pass ratio balance and not chasing the scoreboard? I'm going with the latter.

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.

32. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

Just a few tidbits nothing more nothing less

33. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

Miami is playing it perfectly.

Why pay Jarvis a large amount of money when you don't have to #1, and what if Parker becomes what we all hope for, then you pay him and Jarvis while getting rid of Stills in a couple seasons.

Paying Landry now would be fine with me, he deserves it, but not top alpha money. Although he has averaged 2.23 yards per route run since he was drafted and that's top 10 in the NFL since then according to PFF and that's elite stuff so it's a conundrum for Miami.

I'd wait and see what happens with DVP. If he blossoms you can go to both and say we want both of you to be here until you quit. I bet they'd both take deal from Miami before testing FA.

If that happens then bye bye Stills.

Travis34 and miamiron like this.
  34. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

That should be set in motion already. Runningbacks are basically used up by the time they can get paid if they are not a first round pick

35. 13finfan4ever

13finfan4ever Well-Known Member

This only means we target him when the other team has a good game plan or out matches us.

So our best receiver is our go to guy when the going gets tough.

Phinatic8u likes this.
  36. VBCheeseGrater

Yeah that is a good point on RBs.... you're almost better off being a punter in the NFL these days. Seeing how an RBs prime is usual year 2 and 3, i agree the rookie contract is basically a joke for them.

37. scodoublet

scodoublet Zero In Donator

Landry is a very valuable player.
    If Parker, Thomas, etc. step it up, maybe Landry is less valuable to Miami, but that doesn't mean his value has gone down, just that he may be more valuable to another team.

I REALLY hope Landry resigns with Miami, though....which I believe he will.