Jaws rank Tannehill above Fitzpatrick, Sanchez

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by umpjacked, Oct 5, 2012.

1. umpjacked

umpjacked Active Member

[h=1]Jaws: Tannehill over Fitz, Sanchez[/h]October, 4, 2012
    OCT 4
    7:00
    PM ET

By James Walker | ESPN.com

ESPN analyst and former NFL quarterback Ron Jaworski studies quarterbacks day and night. That is why his updated quarterback rankings through four games in 2012 carries weight.

According to Jaworski, Miami Dolphins rookie quarterback Ryan Tannehill is the second-best quarterback in the AFC East. Tannehill came in at No. 24 overall.

"It is incredible the way Tannehill not only has adapted to becoming an NFL quarterback, but simply just a quarterback overall," Jaworski writes. "After all of his time playing wide receiver in college, I wondered if Tannehill could make the rapid transition. Through four games, it seems like he can and has."

Here are Jaworski's AFC East quarterback rankings:

Brady's ranking is no surprise. He is behind only Aaron Rodgers of the Green Bay Packers. But the other three rankings are subject to debate.

Is Tannehill already the No. 2 quarterback in the AFC East? He has shown promise, but he’s also thrown just two touchdowns and six interceptions.

Fitzpatrick has the best stats (931 yards, 12 touchdowns, seven interceptions) but was No. 30, according to Jaworski.

"Maybe my expectations were too high, but I thought he'd be a riser," Jaworski writes. "You have to take care of the football. It's that simple."

Sanchez also is consistent (813 yards, five touchdowns, four interceptions) but was ranked ahead of quarterbacks like Fitzpatrick, Matt Cassel and Russell Wilson.

In our weekly "Sanchez-Fitzpatrick-Tannehill Watch," Fitzpatrick is leading by one pointafter four games.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/48937/jaws-tannehill-over-fitz-sanchez

2. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Jaws Ranks RT17 2nd Best AFC East QB In His Updated "Big Board" Ratings!

Ranked #24 overall, one notch below Luck@23 with RG3 highest ranking rookie @17 :hclap:

Jaws Entire Ratings List:
    http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/to...d-qb-rankings/page__pid__7087026#entry7087026

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2012
  3. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero Donator

Im not just saying this because he like Tannehill, but Jaws is the only good and respectable analyst BSPN has.

4. SeasonsMusic

SeasonsMusic Pianist

good for him, once he stops throwing INT's that cost us the game ill be happy

5. Vaark

Or how about if his kicker and/or defensive backs did their jobs, the additional exposure to throw subsequent interceptions should have become moot?

6. DolfanISS

DolfanISS Perennial All-Pro

Jaws is an idiot, call me when tanny wins 4 road playoff games ;).

7. SQuinn17

SQuinn17 League Dominator

For real

8. HarryBagpipe

HarryBagpipe Archibald Meatpants Super Donator Donator

Fitz has to drive bills fans crazy. The guy is on pace to throw 48 tds this year but he's so inconsistent. Sanchez is one of the worst starting qbs in the league. He has been since day one. The only people who don't think so are delusional jets homers.

won a ton of cash taking the under on wins last year for the jets and looking to cash in again this year​

9. Vaark

Get ready for the predictable "Jaws likes everybody" from our agenda-based members. It'll be deja vu all over again (what does he know/I trust my opinion more!) when SB QB and probable HOF'er Kurt Warner stated how impressed he's been with RT17.

10. Etuoo33

Etuoo33 Seasoned Veteran

BSPN... I love it!

11. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 I can get you a toe Finheaven VIP Donator

Like any other rankings system, who needs it? :)

12. 347

347 Rookie Finheaven VIP

If Tannehill keeps getting better, we wont have to worry about the quarterback position for awhile. I'm going to be cautious about crowning him our next Dan Marino until he consistently performs at a high level. We have a lot of football to play this season.

13. WesternNYDolfan

WesternNYDolfan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Walker is such a terrible writer....I love how he questions Jaws' expertise just because his stupid system ranks fitzpatrick higher...Fitz can't throw the football over 20 yards in the air, and a majority of Tannehill's INTs have been fluky, from falling receivers to tipped/ disrupted passes.

14. phinatic1399

phinatic1399 Diehard Phinatic!

In 2 years when brady is 37-38 and on the downside of his career we will have the best QB in the AFC East and a top 5 QB. I see a mix of Aaron Rodgers and Rivers in Tannehill.

15. JCane

JCane Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

No way. I love Jaws and his insight, but Trent Dilfer is the truth as well.

16. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

I think people are too harsh on Fitzpatrick

17. nyjunc

nyjunc A True Fan

Jaws once told us how good kellen Clemens was going to be.

Ryan is playing better than mark right now so Jaws is being fair but I'd still prefer 2 wins to 1 win and you can blame the K all you want but Ryan set up your K from near 50 yds against us and our QB set up our K w/ a chip shot for the win, last week Ryan threw the INT that led to the GW FG for Ari. He looks like he can play in this league so you should be excited just try not to go overboard.

---------- Post added at 10:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 AM ----------

I think Dilfer is the best on espn.

18. phinatic1399

phinatic1399 Diehard Phinatic!

umm dude, sanchez has been in the league for what now 4 years? Tanny is in his 5th game and is still adjusting to the NFL, there is no comparison. There is no excuse for sanchez to be such a train wreck like he is dude is awful and will never be more than a serviceable NFL QB in this league. You know your QB is bad when Tebow is getting ready to takeover. Tannehills upside is way higher than sanchez end of discussion.

19. nyjunc

nyjunc A True Fan

there is, he's got no help. At least Tannehill has a run game and his Ol is playing better but again it's very early.

20. Fintastic2124

Fintastic2124 A True Fan

Another 40 page Sanchez thread! Gotta love it!!!

21. CANDolphan

CANDolphan Seasoned Veteran

Im pretty sure that Tannehill's pick 6 was just as much a reason we lost as Carp missing a kick.

People, stop blaming everything on Carpentar. Seriously. It's getting really old. The more you do mental gymnastics and find odd ways to forgive Tannehill for every mistake he commits it takes away from the legitimacy of the praise he deserves for doing things well

nyjunc likes this.
  22. Vaark

Walker is a scumbag plucked out of Columbus, not even Cleveland, as a secondary Browns beat writer for whatever reason by ESPN when he should be supersizing fries.

Here's how he condensed what Jaws wrote
    "It is incredible the way Tannehill not only has adapted to becoming an NFL quarterback, but simply just a quarterback overall," Jaworski writes. "After all of his time playing wide receiver in college, I wondered if Tannehill could make the rapid transition. Through four games, it seems like he can and has."

Here's Jaws' complete comments:
    It is incredible the way Tannehill not only has adapted to becoming an NFL quarterback, but simply just a quarterback overall. After all of his time playing wide receiver in college, I wondered if Tannehill could make the rapid transition. Through four games, it seems like he can and has. Joe Philbin and Mike Sherman have done a really good job getting him prepped for the NFL game. Like I see with most rookies, there have been some questionable throws. There have been some great ones as well, though, and that leaves me pretty high on Tannehill's future.

23. Vaark

Last I looked up til almost the end of the game Tannehill had his team up 21-14 in the final seconds of the 4th quarter. But if your agenda is to dog Tannehill then knock yourself out but to me he did his job and our DBs crapped the bed .. there should have been no OT

And in the jest game, you can as easily point to Sanchez's endzone brainfart and in the 4th QTR Carpenter missed a 47 and 48 yarder.. a decent kicker would have made one of them to make the outcome moot. Not saying both, but one of em is not unreasonable under 50 yards for a professional kicker. But again, if you wanna put it on RT17, because he may not be the horse you had in the race, knock yourself out.

24. twohype

twohype Seasoned Veteran

Let's see......if WR's stop falling down....if OL could pick up a blitz....if a damn kicker could kick.....maybe you need to look at the games better, clearly T-Hill is playing pretty good with very little help.

25. nyjunc

nyjunc A True Fan

Thank you for this great post. Tannehill has played well but to blame the losses on the K isn't being fair especially when he set up his K for a near 50 yarder in OT. Carpenter has missed from 47, 48 & 51. None of them close to being chip shots, it's ridiculous to blame the K for those losses. Did he contribute? aboslutely but you set him up for a long FG on a wet grass field 2 weeks ago and the QB threw an INT to set up the opponents GW FG this past week.

Tannehill has shown me a lot but he still has an awful lot to prove.

26. RobertHorry

RobertHorry Scout Team

Terrible rankings. Look what he said about Blaine Gabbert. I would go Fitz 24 and Tannenhill at 26. Fitz has absolutely 0 defense.

And at this point Sanchez has played much tougher defense's than Tannenhill. Sanchez has no run game or wideouts.

27. Cgrilo

Cgrilo Active Member

same ole song and dance from you....blah blah blah

28. AdamC13

AdamC13 Awe "Tight End" my favorite position!

When I read this yesterday my first thought was Jaws is about as logical as my girlfriend on her period. Hmmm...who would I rather have leading my team, a QB with a 12/7 TD/int ratio and led his team to 115 points or one with a 5/4 ratio and 81 points or a 2/6 ratio and 86 points.

29. 16phinsrfast

16phinsrfast Art Damage

So if Sanchez drove his kicker down to the marks you listed and your kicker misses.....whos fault?

30. 16phinsrfast

16phinsrfast Art Damage

Tannehills a rook with a couple of games under his belt and played his position better than those two. Fitz and Sanchez have put both of their teams under many times with no improvements till Week 4 from 1. How can you say Sanchez has played tougher D's then Tanny?? HES A ROOKIE! and his seeing these defense for the first time... lmao

31. 72champagne

72champagne the annual ritual

based on potential alone i'd put him in the top 10, easily. he's the nature boy ric flair of football.

[video=youtube;FCxWUKMJfEI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCxWUKMJfEI[/video]

32. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

If this is a starting point for Ryan Tannehill than Dolphin fans should be really excited. Mark Sanchez has had four years now and is the same up and down quarterback who came into the league. In my opinion, the Jets will move on in the offseason and maybe even go with Tim Tebow pretty soon this year. Ryan Fitzpatrick reminds me of Jay Fielder, gutsy, a guy you root for, some good games here and there, but not the answer either.

33. finfanaz

finfanaz A True Fan

Actually you can blame it on the kicker. You seem to spend more time on this forum than anyone so I'm sure you've read all the threads with stats on how poor Carpenter has been in close games at medium-long distances recently. So it's not ridiculous to put some blame, if not most of it, on the kicker. Everyone has a job on the team, and he should be held accountable for not doing his. And if you watched the games you'd know that the play calling around that part of the field was bunk, when we were gashing the ****ty Jets AND Cards D on the ground, Sherman decided to run pass plays. So I'd say the person that put Carpenter in that position was Sherman with poor play calling on 1st and 2nd down on that part of the field.

Tanne threw an INT in the Cards game due to a blown block by the offensive line, again, obvious. This isn't excuse making.. ummm this is actually what took place during the game..

Has Tanne made some Rookie throws/mistakes? Yeah.. Is he to blame for the two recent losses? No.. He put us in position to win those games.

34. 72champagne

72champagne the annual ritual

lots of blame to go around for losing but carpenter is the epic fail. 3-1 without that turkey.

35. sfloridafan

sfloridafan Well-Known Member

Tannehill has me really excited for the first time in quite a while. Here's to hoping he keeps it up!

36. 13ktownguy

13ktownguy Well-Known Member

Lol!!

37. lurking

lurking Rookie Finheaven VIP

The Jets insist that Mark Sanchez is still the answer. Maybe they don’t fully understand the question, because right now the only question Mark Sanchez is the answer to is ‘Which 4th year starting QB is still making mistakes that would embarrass a rookie?’

38. nyjunc

nyjunc A True Fan

did he also throw a pick 6? did he throw an INt to set up the GW FG for the other team? I don't blame Tannehill but you can't blame the K either. There is plenty of blame to go around. Setting a K up for near 50 yd Fgs are not automatic.

ahh so it was the blown block to blame! basically Ryan is the greatest QB ever to play, all the mistakes are clearly those of others on the team.:lol:

39. DuderinoN703

Yeah why blame Carpenter for failing at his job? It's someone else's fault of course.

40. DuderinoN703

Of course he has a lot to prove. Most every QB in the league still has **** to prove. Wet grass? Were you at the game? How do you know the grass ****ed him over? He missed wide left with plenty of distance. It wasn't a squib kick.

41. finfanaz

finfanaz A True Fan

Nope, I just actually watched the game. Not much you can do when your BLIND-Side (key word there) is exposed and you make a bad throw due to it. And this doesn't have anything to do with "feel in the pocket" and "sensing the rush". He had all of .5 seconds to get the ball away, before getting crushed, which he almost did..

42. 13ktownguy

13ktownguy Well-Known Member

Yes exactly,the same way you have excuses for Mark every time he messes up...I can sense you're getting worried

43. Cgrilo

Cgrilo Active Member

Hey nyjunc its getting close to Tebow Time...lol

44. AphexPhin

AphexPhin A True Fan

I do think Tannehill has more POTENTIAL and a higher ceiling than both of them. Sanchez is regressing drastically and Fitz is stuck in Barfalo

45. Vaark

Hey maybe Junc is right and we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves. I mean after alll a few years ago there was a lot of enthusiasm (at least on the 3 major Jets forums) for Taco as the "Sanchize" but if you read them alll now, he's now called "Sad Sack" and everyone but the homers are speculating what they could get for him in a trade and which NFL QBs they'd take over him (basically the consensus is most everyone but Cassel). Hell even the Tebow haters are ready to give him a shot!

So I guess he knows all too painfully about letting one's enthusiasm run unchecked, eh? :idk:

46. nyjunc

nyjunc A True Fan

I wasn't at the game but I am going to go out on a limb and say the grass was wet as it was raining late in that game. I am not blaming the wet field just adding to the fact that a 47-48 yd kick isn't a chip shot and it's ven more difficult on grass and more difficult on wet grass.

nah, I blame his K, HC, OL, RB, WR, OC, DC, the fans, the weather, the stadium, and anything else you can think of. It's never mark's fault:lol:

---------- Post added at 12:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 PM ----------

I think that is a fair statement to make at this point. Fitz is a good garbage time QB, he makes plays when they don't matter. Sanchez was a good QB and has been regressing since the beginning of last year, until he pulls himself out of it I'd say tannehill has a higher ceiling as he is still unknown and unproven.

47. endorPHINS72

endorPHINS72 Restore the greatness!

But...but...but this can't be!!! Everyone knows that all the media outlets, from ESPN to Charlie Rose, have an agenda of hate against the Miami Dolphins!

48. Irishfinfan1

Irishfinfan1 Well-Known Member

Do you mind me asking you nyjunc, why do you think Sanchez hasn't progressed as you would have expected, is it on him, the coaches, the talent round him or some mixture of the three?
    Tannehill I'm really excited about, as are nearly all fans of the phins, how he is playing now is actually at an really high standard never mind what he could be like in a few years time. Get him some actual playmakers round him and we ill have a potent offense.

49. nyjunc

nyjunc A True Fan

I think it's a combo, our talent has regressed and so has he. He needs to succeed in year 4 regardless of the talent so I am very disappointed w/ his play since early in that Pitt game but the Ol is struggling, we can't run, he's missing key pieces to throw to.

You guys should be excited about tannehill, he has shown flashes and he should get better w/ more experience but there still will be growing pains. I know if he has a stinker on Sunday we'll see threads saying he's a bust. The bottom line is you shouldn't get too high or too low on him, he's developing.

50. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

You should love Sanchez he has this mysterious playoff gene you always refer to