Jay ajayi......."get on the jay train"

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by BlueFin, Jan 15, 2015.

1. BlueFin

BlueFin Seer of Visions Finheaven VIP

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2015
  2. slk018

slk018 Banned Hammered

I like him too..But I would much rather have Gurley, Gordon, Duke, Davis

3. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

I am starting to like Duke.

would be kinda cool to have two Miami RB's lighting it up.

4. ONole1

ONole1 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I just can't see drafting a RB. Too many other holes to fill and we have a 1000 yard back and another young back in Williams that started to show a lot. Sign a FA vet and maybe sign an UDFA and see if he pans out. Address RB next year if needed.

5. BlueFin

Duke is a talented runner.....but he doesn't have the J-train's size (220 pounds).....nor is he very good at pass pro.

6. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I'd be good with Ajayi in the 2nd, and I'd love him in the 3rd - though that seems unlikely.

7. datruth55

datruth55 Starter Finheaven VIP

Ajayi isn't very good in pass pro either. Watched his game against Ole Miss at the beginning of this year and he got run over a lot...actually every time he was in pass pro. It was ugly.

Duke has more speed, elusiveness and acceleration.

[video=youtube;-79F4GN0tck]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-79F4GN0tck[/video]

8. BlueFin

We haven't had a tackle breaker in years....I see him possibly being there into the 3rd round.

Love Gurley but hate drafting runningbacks with damaged knees.

9. MarinoEqualsGod

MarinoEqualsGod The man, the myth, the legend

I've been on his bandwagon for two months now.

10. FearTheBeard

FearTheBeard FearTheBurke

I like your train of thought, he's the type of back that fits what we need. We need a compliment to Miller, I love Duke but he isn't the type of compliment we should be looking for. We should be looking for a wrecking ball with 3rd down capabilities. I've done most of my RB homework and the guys that fit that mold are Todd Gurley, Jay Ajayi, Mike Davis, Josh Robinson, David Cobb, David Johnson and maybe Langford and Artis-Payne. My top target, since I'm probably waiting till round 4 is Josh Robinson, he's aptly nicknamed bowling ball, and he's exactly the compliment for Miller I'd be looking for. Low center of gravity, capable receiver and stout enough to be a solid pass protector. Really like Robinson. David Johnson is another interesting guy, but I've heard he could go between rounds 2 and 4 and that's too rich for me. He's an absolutely amazing receiver out of the backfield, has great size to hold up in protection, but he doesn't excite me as a runner at all, he's a better pass catching Lorenzo Tallafero with less power. In round 5 I'd definitely be looking at him, but doubt he gets there. All the guys I've mentioned carry grades in the top 4 rounds from me, except Artis-Payne.

11. Fintastic17

Fintastic17 A True Fan

I like how he runs, has really good balance and body control and deceptive speed. Looks like he turns to that spin move whenever he's in trouble, which could be a problem in the pros. Also for as big as he is it seemed that a portion of the time he was brought down in the second level by an arm tackle at his legs.

I'm on record saying I would rather have Duke, but that's probably because I'm a homer. I'm also tired of letting talent out of our back yard. I want Perryman for that reason.

12. BlueFin

I see a lot of broken tackles when I watch him....something I don't always see with other runners.

13. datruth55

That's how San Francisco ended up with Frank Gore in the 3rd round of the draft.

14. hoops

hoops exited stage left

that's also how they ended up with the south carolina kid lattimore who hung em up this year

15. MiamiDolphin618

MiamiDolphin618 A True Fan

Two very different injuries though. Lattimore was basically shredded his entire knee if I recall…tearing several ligaments and maybe even dislocating the knee cap. Dustin Keller type injury. It was also his second major injury.

There would certainly be some risk with Gurley never being the same…but I think its more likely he comes back good as new. He won't make it out of the 1st

16. hoops

hoops exited stage left

true...but hasnt gurley been nicked up a lot since he came to georgia or am i off on that??? like hammy or foot issues or something...

17. BlueFin

Missed three big games in 2013 with various leg injuries....then of course blowing his knee in 2014.

I am ok with rolling the dice on Gurley after day one......I just think pick fourteen is out of the question for a player who has been injury prone.

18. MiamiDolphin618

Yeah some minor stuff.

BlueFin I can see the argument there. I really can. Ill agree to disagree just because I think he is that good of a talent. There are a lot of players I would be very happy to get at 14…Gurley and Gordon will both be on that list for me.

19. hoops

hoops exited stage left

i don't think anyones questioning the talent...i think though it becomes what's the value keeping in mind that our system is running back friendly also...it would be hard to hate on gordon or gurley on tape

20. datruth55

The "various leg injuries" was just an ankle and nothing more. He got hurt in the LSU game and missed the next 3 games with an ankle injury.

Marcus Lattimore was a huge risk by San Francisco...most thought he would never play again after his injury and the 49ers took a chance...I was rooting for the kid he just never recovered. It took two years just for him to be cleared to practice.

Mark Ingram missed 2 games his last year at Alabama you had no reservations about him. DeMarco Murray was injured a lot at Oklahoma...so was Adrian Peterson for that matter.

21. hoops

hoops exited stage left

ap only had that shoulder that required surgery going into the draft...murray was dinged up his entire college career...and he's been dinged up a lot as a pro also...i'm not so sure he changed his stripes there...lattimore though was definitely a different circumstance

ap was also rediculous on tape...but so is gurley...

22. datruth55

AP was injured a lot in college.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2625553

He missed 7 games his last year at Oklahoma with the shoulder.

23. MiamiDolphin618

Yeah I have no qualms with people who see it like that…it makes sense in a lot of ways. On tape though..those two guys are elite players. Regardless of position, you don't get a chance at elite level players like that at pick 14 very often. I mean those two guys look like consistent 1200+ yard backs to me…they can win you games by themselves. I think Tannehill is completely capable of taking this team to the playoffs…but when its december and Janurary…and the weather is **** out there I want a Gurley or Gordon I can give the rock to all night along with Miller.

Look no further than the Colts. Andrew Luck is an elite QB..period. He put that team on his back all year…but when he has to go into a place like NE and throw the ball all night in cold, crappy weather they get beat like a red-headed step child.

24. hoops

hoops exited stage left

25. BlueFin

Not to quibble....but besides the 3 games he missed entirely in 2013...he also missed more than half the LSU game........and most of a half against UF due to that ankle.

He also missed most of a half in the opener against Clemson with a pulled quad.

Thats the back drop....his 2013....leading up to the ACL tear in 2014.

Now he may go on to be the greatest runner in the NFL and never get seriously injured again.....or he may be injury prone and be one of those guys.

My point was...pick 14 is not something the Miami Dolphins can roll the dice with.....with those kind of risks.

26. hoops

hoops exited stage left

ok i knew he had a quad he dealt with...

27. Fintastic17

Fintastic17 A True Fan

I have to be honest and I would like everyone to be honest as well.

Who in this forum would be legitimately upset if they called Todd Gurley's name at 14 this year?

I would not be mad, you gotta take chances somewhere along the lines and this kid is an AP type specimen. A RB that dominant can cover up A LOT of weaknesses.

28. BlueFin

I would....this is a deep draft and Melvin Gordon is the runner I would be ok with at 14.

This is a deep runningback draft though....I would love to see Ajayi in round 3...I think he will be a riser and will do well in this league.

29. insom187

insom187 Fin fan in hostile territory

Gordon is a stud and if there isn't a difference maker on defense at 14 I'd roll with him without batting an eye. That being said I hope we make it a point to keep upgrading the line, both starting and depth, to make sure we don't implode as quickly as we did this past season when they started happening.

30. FearTheBeard

No way I'm taking Gordon at 14...way too rich. Gurley if his knee checked out would be on my board, he's a true top 10 talent. But at the end of the day first round RB's isn't good business.

31. BlueFin

I agree.....unless they are special......I think Gordan is gonna be one of those backs.

32. FearTheBeard

And that's where we differ.

33. xXwarXx

xXwarXx Banned Hammered

What don't you like about Gordon, or why don't you think he's an elite player?

He looks identical to Jamal Charles IMO, that's assuming he will become a really good pass catcher which I think he will.

I wouldn't knock anyone for being against a 1st rnd RB, I just think he's worth it, and I think this team is desperate for players who can take the ressure off everyone else. It seems without perfect execution, we always lose, that's a hard way to win 10 games, need playmakers.

34. FearTheBeard

Lets not take it as me not liking him, I have a high 2 grade on him. To me Gurley is special because of his power/burst combo. Gordon does a couple things at a special level, working through traffic and using his exceptional vision to find holes. Now to me he doesn't have the speed of Jamaal Charles, he doesn't have the shiftiness of a LeSean McCoy and he doesn't have great power in his game. He doesn't have that athletic trait that makes him a first round back. Remember Charles was a 3rd rounder. I think Gordon is a great prospect who should have a long career (by RB standards), but I don't think he's as special as most personally. Could easily be proven wrong, the more I watch of Tevin Coleman the smaller the gap I see. Gurley without the knee injury is head and shoulders the best back in this class.

From a Dolphins standpoint I want a power guy because Miller is a solid back with limitations, I want to compliment him.

35. BlueFin

2500+ yards rushing (including putting 400 on Nebraska).....32 touchdowns is pretty special.

Gurley missed 33% of 2013 with injuries....and a big part of 2014 blowing his knee out.

Looks injury prone to me.

36. xXwarXx

xXwarXx Banned Hammered

Fair enough, but I don't think it's fair to drop Gordons value based on where Charles got drafted, of tea,s knew what they could of had, he Would of been a 1st rnd back.

As for Gordon, I think hes plenty athletic and his versatility running the ball is a huge difference maker IMO. Not many rbs can break it the way he can from anywhere on the field with a simple hand off.

And yeah, I like tevin too along with some other power backs in this draft, but I don't think Gordon is a limited back as far as power goes, seems plenty strong to me, keeping defenders off balance will add to his power, where as Gurley just uses brute force. Different kinds of power.

37. FearTheBeard

I'm not dropping him because of Charles comp. I agree with you, you're echoing my points, he's plenty a lot of things. I'm probably harder on running backs than most when it comes to 1st round grades, and I think he's good and great at plenty of things, but athletically and physically I haven't viewed as elite enough to warrant the grade. Not saying he's limited, just saying he isn't the cream of the crop at certain qualities I think a 1st round back needs to excel at.

---------- Post added at 03:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:52 PM ----------

I mean you can look at a guy like Corey Clement who puts up great YPC behind that OL. I'm not as concerned with the guy's production as his skillset, his production is special no doubt. And I'm not saying Gurley isn't injury prone, but when they're on the field it's not very close to me. JMO.

38. TedSlimmJr

TedSlimmJr Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

Again to follow up on this discussion from another thread, the truth is in between what both of you are saying.

I understand where BlueFin is coming from in terms of using the 14th pick for a RB. Its not that Gurley or Gordon aren't worth the 14th pick, because they both are. Just maybe not for Miami at this point. Its not going to be what makes Miami a championship team. On the other hand, it's never wise to pass up elite talent. Doesn't matter what position its at.

You can talk about all of the yards Melvin Gordon ran for this year, and talk about all the nagging injuries Todd Gurley had. But neither one have anything to do with evaluating the talent of these two special running backs. Rather, they're only talking points for message board fodder. Neither translates to the next level. They both start at zero once they get to the NFL. Gordon can't bring all those yards with him anymore than you can predict the long term health of either.

Injuries are always unpredictable. You're always one play away.

What it boils down to in terms of talent evaluation is which one has more talent...that is the only thing either one of em can rely on. Fact is, Gurley is the more rare talent. He's bigger, stronger, faster, and more difficult to tackle. That's not just in comparison to Melvin Gordon...its in comparison to most any back that has or ever will enter the draft. His talent is that rare. Gurley is the more complete back.

Gordon is a special talent. I can't fault anybody for being all in on him. He's worth it. We just can't resort to talking points in an attempt to put him on Gurley's level. That won't get you anywhere. As special as Gordon is, it speaks volumes in regards to Todd Gurley's talent that NFL executives will still view him as the top RB despite a knee injury.

If anyone would like to make an argument that Gordon is somehow the more talented back than Gurley, that's going to be incredibly difficult to achieve among anyone that compares the abilities and watched the two play. There is a gap in talent on tape.

39. BlueFin

Good post Slimm....I guess where we differ is I do believe a runner who misses as many games the past 2 seasons as Gurley has....has an injury prone red flag that Gordan does not.

Time will tell the story.

But....I'm quite sure Dennis Hickey will not be calling Todd Gurley 14 picks into round 1.

40. Fintastic17

Fintastic17 A True Fan

Yea Gurley is the type of back that will have his own posts on this board 2 years from now regardless of whether we pick him or let him slide.

If he pick him up, they will be posts about what a huge pair Hickey had in drafting such a stud, with an injury history.

If he slides, there will be Aaron Rodgers type threads about how we let that franchise changer slip away again.

It's an absolute pipe dream but I would cry tears of joy if Todd Gurley is a Dolphin next year. That kid is a specimen, you couldn't create a better athlete on Madden.