Jay Ajayi reportedly looks improved as a receiver | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jay Ajayi reportedly looks improved as a receiver

Unforeseen benefit of a young team - optimistic offseasons where everyone is supposedly turning into an all-pro. I like it.

Unforeseen benefit of a young team - optimistic offseasons where everyone is supposedly turning into an all-pro. I like it.

Turning into an all-pro?
  • With a breakout season last year, Ajayi ranked third among running backs with a PPF overall grade of 84.9 and his run grade of 85.2 ranked second.
  • Ajayi impressed as a runner last season with an elusive rating of 76.0, which ranked third among 53 running backs, and his 58 missed tackles forced when running the ball were the most among all running backs.
  • [QUOTE/]
not to mention 3 -200 yard games (halfway to the all-time NFL record of 6)

I'd say he was an elite runner last year!

The guy had 535 yards and 4 TD's receiving his final year in college. He is more than capable of being a good receiving back. He just needed to work on the NFL routes and it sounds like he has. Gase said he is asking QB type questions now and has really refined the finer details of the RB routes.

Turning into an all-pro?

Yeah i just mean every article about our players this offseason has them as new and improved....exaggerating a bit for effect.

That said, given that many are young and 2nd year in system, or NFL, we should in fact have quite a few improved players.

Yeah i just mean every article about our players this offseason has them as new and improved....exaggerating a bit for effect.

That said, given that many are young and 2nd year in system, or NFL, we should in fact have quite a few improved players.

typical in the off-season, but in the same breath you do want your players improving year over year

as mentioned ajayi has proven to be a capable receiver in the college game so i would hope we can utilize him more out of the backfield, and i'm sure he'll want that as well because it'll add to his value when contract time comes.

The guy had 535 yards and 4 TD's receiving his final year in college. He is more than capable of being a good receiving back. He just needed to work on the NFL routes and it sounds like he has. Gase said he is asking QB type questions now and has really refined the finer details of the RB routes.
And I expected more from him as a receiver but you have to admit he looked awful coming out of the backfield. Didn't have great blocking on those screen passes but he also didn't set up his blockers very well either. Most of the time he just out ran them and tried to run someone over. He could do that in college but in the NFL there are a lot of little things that need to work in sync to have successful screen plays. Personally I think the sub par OG play has had more to do with the Dolphins crappy screen game than anything else but I still think we should be better at it.

He led all college running backs his last season
in receptions, receiving yards, and yards after the catch
Shouldn't be a surprise that he may become the best all around back in football

I think Ajayi, Drake and Williams will all be decent receiving options out of the backfield, however I wish we had a more elusive, Darren Sproles, Reggie Bush or Danny Woodhead type, in the mix too. I wish we had that guy you could dump it off to on screens, wheels, option or arrow routes and watch him turn a two yard pass into a 15 yard gain.

That's going to be such a nice option for Tannehill when he's under pressure.

I never doubted he could do it.

He did look lost at times coming out of the backfield.

He's too talented and driven to not succeed.

Back
Top Bottom