Jay Bilas Reacts to NCAA Statement | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jay Bilas Reacts to NCAA Statement

rob19

Soul Rebel
Reaction score
[video=youtube;vQk56ZqO0ic]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQk56ZqO0ic[/video]

To summarize, he called it a "laughably absurd scare-tactic", & "beneath the NCAA's dignity".

I dont watch college sports because the sysstem is a joke. The coaching staff get paid millions per year but the players dont get a penny and get in trouble for trying to make some money out of it? Disgraceful.

I love college football but the NCAA is a joke.

I dont watch college sports because the sysstem is a joke. The coaching staff get paid millions per year but the players dont get a penny and get in trouble for trying to make some money out of it? Disgraceful.

Yea, not a penny. Only a college education which are so cheap in this country. Poor them.

NCAA is still a joke though, but not for that reason.

Yea, not a penny. Only a college education which are so cheap in this country. Poor them.

NCAA is still a joke though, but not for that reason.

The colleges don't give out those scholarships through the kindness of their heart. Those athletes earned those scholarships. The Universities are very competitive with one another in trying to lure talent into their program. You don't think Johnny Manziel, Aj McCaron, or Jadaveon Clowney make more for their University in revenue than is granted to them by the school in the form of a scholarship? It's not even close. That's the reason why you still see, and will continue to see recruiting violations from major Universities.

You want to fix the problem? Or at least considerably help it? Eliminate the petty stuff. Eliminate situations like Manziel's, or Pryor's, or the Miami scandal, etc. That's all petty stuff. Give these kids a few thousand dollars a year. It's not going to bankrupt the school and it's going to reduce the temptation to get busted over insignificant benefits like some tattoos, or a few hundred dollars.

Most big-time College coaches endorse this as well. I saw Steve Spurrier in an interview advocate the same thing I just mentioned. You don't pay them all the same, obviously. You're not going to be paying the Women's Volleyball team the same amount as the Football or Basketball team. The pay would be on a curve proportionate to the amount of revenue the sport brings in.

The colleges don't give out those scholarships through the kindness of their heart. Those athletes earned those scholarships. The Universities are very competitive with one another in trying to lure talent into their program. You don't think Johnny Manziel, Aj McCaron, or Jadaveon Clowney make more for their University in revenue than is granted to them by the school in the form of a scholarship? It's not even close. That's the reason why you still see, and will continue to see recruiting violations from major Universities.

You want to fix the problem? Or at least considerably help it? Eliminate the petty stuff. Eliminate situations like Manziel's, or Pryor's, or the Miami scandal, etc. That's all petty stuff. Give these kids a few thousand dollars a year. It's not going to bankrupt the school and it's going to reduce the temptation to get busted over insignificant benefits like some tattoos, or a few hundred dollars.

Most big-time College coaches endorse this as well. I saw Steve Spurrier in an interview advocate the same thing I just mentioned. You don't pay them all the same, obviously. You're not going to be paying the Women's Volleyball team the same amount as the Football or Basketball team. The pay would be on a curve proportionate to the amount of revenue the sport brings in.

Paying players is easy to say but not so easy to do. If you look at universities that actually make money from sports there are not that many. Football programs normally fund the large majority of the other athletic programs in a university. Believe me, women's soccer and basketball are not revenue generators. Nor is track, swimming, lacrosse, soccer, baseball, hockey, etc. You get the idea. Additionally, you can't just pay a few select athletes. If you pay a football player you better be prepared to pay that left fielder as well.

As mentioned above, they receive a college education as well as being fed. It's not unheard of for a school to spend upwards of 100K on a student athlete each year.

Tell me this. Do you think the U can pay every one of it's athletes in every program?

Paying players is easy to say but not so easy to do. If you look at universities that actually make money from sports there are not that many. Football programs normally fund the large majority of the other athletic programs in a university. Believe me, women's soccer and basketball are not revenue generators. Nor is track, swimming, lacrosse, soccer, baseball, hockey, etc. You get the idea. Additionally, you can't just pay a few select athletes. If you pay a football player you better be prepared to pay that left fielder as well.

As mentioned above, they receive a college education as well as being fed. It's not unheard of for a school to spend upwards of 100K on a student athlete each year.

Tell me this. Do you think the U can pay every one of it's athletes in every program?

I don't understand the notion that if you pay one you have to pay them all. If you're on the Equestrian team you accept that you're not going to be paid like the Quarterback (if at all). If you play women's volleyball at Duke you accept that you're not going to be paid like the men's basketball team. It's not fair, but life's not fair.

Spurrier think's they can certainly afford it for their football players.
South Carolina football coach Steve Spurrier revealed yesterday that, not only are the teams in the SEC Conference onboard with the idea of paying their players, but they also have a dollar amount already in mind.

While addressing the media day crowd, Spurrier said that all the SEC coaches are willing to commit $280,000 for the cause. A sum that Spurrier admits "is tiny compared to the money that's coming in now." When broken down, each athlete would receive a "little bit," or around $3,600, which would allow them to have some pocket change to utilize however they see fit.

The coaches want this. They want these things like Oklahoma State and Dj Fluker to stop popping up every month over petty cash. Most of these incidents are largely avoidable.

I also think they should be allowed to make money off their image. Manziel should be able to sign helmets and autographs for a few thousand bucks. Terrelle Pryor should be allowed to give his game jerseys in exchange for a tattoo. Most of these guy's don't go on to make it in the NFL. A lot of them will be at their peak value in college. You don't think Ryan Swope wishes he could've signed a couple helmets back at A&M? That's just my opinion, though. The coaches are pushing for a little extra pocket cash, but they'll probably keep them from making money off their image because of some garbage about "the sanctity of amateur sports".

Again it will never work. Completely stupid idea in every way. Yes let's allow paying players so the richest schools can just legally throw dufflebags around to get all the top players. One of the stupidest things I've heard of. They're getting a free college education. They deserve nothing else. A 4 year degree at the University of Miami costs about $220,000. Let me say that again. $220,000.

Again, who cares about "the sanctity of amateur sports." It's nothing more than a salary cap, that's necessary. Teams are going to break rules regardless. Especially when you have complete idiots running the NCAA. There's your real problem. When a complete incompetent like Mark Emmert turns a blind eye to an entire conference because they make him the most money, there's your real problem.

I don't understand the notion that if you pay one you have to pay them all. If you're on the Equestrian team you accept that you're not going to be paid like the Quarterback (if at all). If you play women's volleyball at Duke you accept that you're not going to be paid like the men's basketball team. It's not fair, but life's not fair.

The coaches want this. They want these things like Oklahoma State and Dj Fluker to stop popping up every month over petty cash. Most of these incidents are largely avoidable.

I also think they should be allowed to make money off their image. Manziel should be able to sign helmets and autographs for a few thousand bucks. Terrelle Pryor should be allowed to give his game jerseys in exchange for a tattoo. Most of these guy's don't go on to make it in the NFL. A lot of them will be at their peak value in college. You don't think Ryan Swope wishes he could've signed a couple helmets back at A&M? That's just my opinion, though. The coaches are pushing for a little extra pocket cash, but they'll probably keep them from making money off their image because of some garbage about "the sanctity of amateur sports".

This isn't professional sports so the notion of paying one without paying all doesn't come down to what's fair or not. Even if you only pay football players, schools can't afford it. Again I ask, can the U afford to pay players? Even only football players? The same U that has close to 100 players and can't get a decent home crowd. The same U that has a football budget that is under 1 mil. And the U is just one team. Think about the other 120+ teams and ask yourself who can pay their players.

Yes let's allow paying players so the richest schools can just legally throw dufflebags around to get all the top players.

Newsflash: They already get all the top players.

MadDog 88 said:
Again I ask, can the U afford to pay players? Even only football players?

Absolutely. The University of Miami football program alone brings in 24 million in revenue (7 million profit). You telling me they can't set aside 280k like the SEC schools? C'mon, man.

http://businessofcollegesports.com/...ketball-programs-produce-the-largest-profits/

The requirement to pay equally comes from federal law. Title IX might not require you to pay the guy on the wrestling team the same amount, but it definitely would require you to pay the woman on the gymnastics team the same as football players.

Back
Top Bottom