Jeff Darlington expects Landry to be on Dolphins next season | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jeff Darlington expects Landry to be on Dolphins next season

........which begs the question, why would the Dolphins let him walk? This can't be about money alone, this team is aggressive when it comes to signing players they want, even overspending which many fans have complained about over the years. We really don't know what is going on behind the scenes given the fact that this organization might be willing to let a player of his caliber walk out the door.
Some of the criticism I see, (YPC, stupid penalties) can be attributed to a very frustrating season. Others, like not knowing the playbook are more disturbing but I believe the positives outweigh the negatives and I think if you're going to pay $12 million, you might as well go up to $14 million for a top player at a premier position. He was part of a playoff team in 2016, he can be that again.

Like I said on VIP, this makes no sense at all. The team has gone from trying to trade him in the off season to not wanting to pay him what he wants but now they're going to tag him and give him MORE than what he wants? If that's the case then that's our FO at it's best with one horrible move after the other. They have learn nothing from the bad deals they gave Kiko and Branch.

Let me say that I think Landry is a good player but him being the #1 target has NOT worked for our offense. If they tag him then it'd mean he'd once again be the #1 target. Why should we expect this team to ever get better when they keep on making the same mistakes over and over. The FO has no real plan or vision. If they really had a plan and vision in place they would go from trying to trade him so tagging him. You can try to spin it all you want but what kind of plan is that?

It starts at the top with t-dumb and Grier and even Gase if he really wants Landry back at that price.

Ozzy rules!!

The one year tag is alot different then making a long term commitment and guaranteed monies to a player you think has maturity or behavior problems..

That’s why its still part of the discussion. Just my .02 cents Danny. Im not saying they ‘should’ necessarily do it.

They have a projected 50M in open cap in 2019 I believe before any other moves.

Some of the criticism I see, (YPC, stupid penalties) can be attributed to a very frustrating season. Others, like not knowing the playbook are more disturbing but I believe the positives outweigh the negatives and I think if you're going to pay $12 million, you might as well go up to $14 million for a top player at a premier position. He was part of a playoff team in 2016, he can be that again.
I feel you dude, but you are doing it again by bringing money back into the equation and i think money is just a small part of the problem. We might think that the positives outweigh the negatives and to be honest i am inclined to agree with you, but we are outsiders looking in. I think the problem is much more serious than just a coach disliking a player or vice versa, is Landry a locker room cancer? Does him not knowing the playbook just the tip of the iceberg and has it rubbed off on the other players especially rookies? I am in no way saying this is true, but all of us have stated money as being the main problem........I'm just questioning that.

Its not about money alone, you know the other reasons.
.........but that's what I am saying brother I don't know the other reasons. A 6-10 team known for overpaying players is willing to let one of the most dynamic players we have ever had walk away into FA. It has to be more serious than is being let on.

I feel you dude, but you are doing it again by bringing money back into the equation and i think money is just a small part of the problem. We might think that the positives outweigh the negatives and to be honest i am inclined to agree with you, but we are outsiders looking in. I think the problem is much more serious than just a coach disliking a player or vice versa, is Landry a locker room cancer? Does him not knowing the playbook just the tip of the iceberg and has it rubbed off on the other players especially rookies? I am in no way saying this is true, but all of us have stated money as being the main problem........I'm just questioning that.
Agreed, there definitely is more than money involved and I guarantee we don't have the whole story. I'm just going on what is available and much of what I saw take place in 2017 should have an asterisk.
As far as running the offense through him, the numbers weren't so lopsided in 2016 and they could probably balance things out even more in the future as everyone becomes more comfortable in this offense.

Interesting discussion and I agree there must be more behind the scenes in we know. My issue with there must be more behind the scenes is concerning to me. We let Jay go for a mere bag of shells and he turned out fine in Philadelphia, even sharing carry's with no on or off field issues. Will the same happen with Landry? Will he go to another team and be an upstanding player who helps in offense. I don't know if it's player attitude or our coaching who can't deal with today's players but that's what's concerning to me.

.........but that's what I am saying brother I don't know the other reasons. A 6-10 team known for overpaying players is willing to let one of the most dynamic players we have ever had walk away into FA. It has to be more serious than is being let on.

Well as far as we know, and again there is obviously stuff we don't know, but Stills, Kiko and Branch really seemed to want to be here and weren't exactly known for any shall we say "outbursts" at the staff etc . (putting aside for a minute if they were overpaid).

I just go back to the team wanted growth from Landry, the team thought they say that and were ready to give him an extension (as reported by Armando) and the last couple games caused the re-think (also explains why he wasn't traded).

Interesting discussion and I agree there must be more behind the scenes in we know. My issue with there must be more behind the scenes is concerning to me. We let Jay go for a mere bag of shells and he turned out fine in Philadelphia, even sharing carry's with no on or off field issues. Will the same happen with Landry? Will he go to another team and be an upstanding player who helps in offense. I don't know if it's player attitude or our coaching who can't deal with today's players but that's what's concerning to me.
I would be shocked if a coach like Gase can't deal with todays players given his age and experience. I have mentioned this before...I hate coaches that think they are one of the players. or "Player Friendly Coaches." If anyone has run a business you will understand just what I am talking about, you are not one of the employees, you are their boss and you had better act like it. I have seen players rub his head, scream at him (Landry) like he is another player and that CANNOT work. Gase is one cool character, sometimes too cool, he has to get that respect from his players, I could care less how he does it.

Well as far as we know, and again there is obviously stuff we don't know, but Stills, Kiko and Branch really seemed to want to be here and weren't exactly known for any shall we say "outbursts" at the staff etc . (putting aside for a minute if they were overpaid).

I just go back to the team wanted growth from Landry, the team thought they say that and were ready to give him an extension (as reported by Armando) and the last couple games caused the re-think (also explains why he wasn't traded).
Good point.

Well after some wavering I'm all in on Gase, I think he is owed that much. I firmly believe if he wants him on the team he'll be on the team but if not he won't. As others have said we have overpaid several players less important than Landry so my previous statement applies here I think.

Landry's poor ypc average is a product of the poor offense he plays on and the coaches lack of belief in it.

His ypc in his final season at LSU was 15.5 on 77 receptions. I don't ever remember watching LSU thinking Landry was a short range receiver.

Like I said on VIP, this makes no sense at all. The team has gone from trying to trade him in the off season to not wanting to pay him what he wants but now they're going to tag him and give him MORE than what he wants? If that's the case then that's our FO at it's best with one horrible move after the other. They have learn nothing from the bad deals they gave Kiko and Branch.

Let me say that I think Landry is a good player but him being the #1 target has NOT worked for our offense. If they tag him then it'd mean he'd once again be the #1 target. Why should we expect this team to ever get better when they keep on making the same mistakes over and over. The FO has no real plan or vision. If they really had a plan and vision in place they would go from trying to trade him so tagging him. You can try to spin it all you want but what kind of plan is that?

It starts at the top with t-dumb and Grier and even Gase if he really wants Landry back at that price.

Ozzy rules!!

Same with the Patriots. Edelman is their best WR, Gronk is their best weapon. Please don't try to tell me Brandin "I can't fight for the ball" Cooks is better than a healthy Edelman,

Back
Top Bottom