Jeff Ireland defends Daboll hire, sidesteps question about Ross' desire for explosive | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jeff Ireland defends Daboll hire, sidesteps question about Ross' desire for explosive

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
Miami Dolphins General Manager Jeff Ireland was on WQAM's The Joe Rose Show on Friday and, echoing many of the comments he has made since the ill-fated Jim Harbaugh recruiting trip earlier in the month, discussed the team's primary needs, the relationship among owner Stephen Ross, himself and coach Tony Sparano, his stance on quarterback Chad Henne and his recent coaching hires, among other things. Here is a Q&A of excerpts of the interview:

JR: Hey Jeff, I wanted to ask you, and I know it's one thing that's been out there, and the owner comes out and talks about this certain style of offense he wants, aggressive, creative, down-the-field, hurry-up, explosive and all these things he has a vision for. And I'm listening to all these things, and on the other side of it, I'm thinking, Tony doesn't want to run that style of offense. That's not the makeup of Parcells' and Tony's background. What do you tell people when you hear both sides of this thing?"

JI: (Small chuckle) Well, you can tell everybody that the owner is very passionate about his football team. He's a very passionate fan. He never makes [any] bones about [it that] he's a fan. He's a fan that has a vested interest in this football team and obviously, he wants to see what all the rest of the fans want to see. They want to see an explosive offense. But he makes no bones about it either, that the football people are going to make the football decisions. And that's Tony and me right now, and I think that Tony has put together a fantastic staff offensively.

JR: I wanted to ask you about the offensive staff, where you guys have overhauled some things, before we get into some of the players. Just the Brian Daboll thing with Cleveland. You know what people are saying. They're saying, 'Wait a second, we hired an offensive coordinator that had an offense that struggled more than ours. We're going to have that guy build around...' From a P.R. standpoint, from the outside, Jeff, people are scratching their heads. What do you say to those people?

JI: Well, you know, when you're not in this seat and you're not in Tony's seat, I don't know what makes everybody qualified to make those comments. All I can tell you is that when you bring in four or five offensive coordinator types, the guys we brought in, and we interview them and we go through the process and we have a plan, I can tell you that Brian Daboll is the right guy for this job. He's got quarterback background. He's got not intimate knowledge of the division Obviously you've got to have an obsession to beating the guyss in your division, which I do, and so does Brian. Those are things that were important to us, and we feel that Brian Daboll is an up and coming offensive mind and with the combination of what we put around him and with the combination of Tony Sparano as our head coach, I think it's going to be an excellent combination."

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/dolphins/joerose/2011/01/jeff_ireland_defends_daboll_hi.html

Ireland "All I can tell you is that when you bring in four or five offensive coordinator types, the guys we brought in,..."

does anyone know who these other people were? it would be pretty enlightening to know what quality of candidates they were able to choose from.

"Up and coming?" Cleveland didn't think so. Thats kinda where we get our information is by what he has accomplished so far. Oh well, it is what it is.

Spoken with all of the confidence of a man who has to hope and pray all of this works to keep his job.

I think Ireland knows he's dressing up a piece of crap to make it look pretty, but has no other choice.

This is the public face of the Phins, "I don't know what makes everybody qualified to make those comments." this person knows nothing about public relations, or how to calm a skittish fan base. Next thing you know he will be asking a draft candidate if his Mom, oops been there done that.

The correct answer would be. Yes I know the fans have concerns, and Cleveland certainly had their share of problems but Bla Bla Bla etc, GM speak, Mr Ross is great blabla bla, goal to win more home games etc etc etc.

Bonehead, you are not bigger than the game. What qualifies a person is them buying a ticket and merchandise, Sunday Ticket, Officially Sanctioned Paint to paint your man cave with ETC. Man, I never understood all of the Venom directed this guys way in the past, but now I do. Remember Jeff, the fans vote with their pocket.

The Ever Saddened By This FOs Lack Of Maturity VIPER

Daboll fits their offensive philosophy perfectly. Ross's comment of being more agressive was only to appease and temporarily appease the fans. Tony is married to his style football, you hardly see coaches change their styles. The geat ones do but many dont.

So expect to see more conservative style of football, now all we can hope for is that they atleast execute a bit better and eventually 1 or 2 extra big plays happen a game.

Tony has essentially been given open reign to do this his way. Win or fail, its on Tony and Jeff from thsi point forward, No more excuses.
Chubbs

I think these guys are way to smart to bring in someone who is a piece of crap. Daboll had a rough time in Cleveland....was it all his fault? We may have to look at players, coaches, front office personnel, owner.... etc before we through our hands up to say this guy was/is a lousy coach. Take everything into consideration before we pass judgement.

I think these guys are way to smart to bring in someone who is a piece of crap. Daboll had a rough time in Cleveland....was it all his fault? We may have to look at players, coaches, front office personnel, owner.... etc before we through our hands up to say this guy was/is a lousy coach. Take everything into consideration before we pass judgement.

What are you basing your ascertain on that they are smart?

really Sparano was also to smart to fire Henning and said Henning was doing a great job

really Sparano was also to smart to fire Henning and said Henning was doing a great job
|
Dont you get it yet? no matter how much we hated Henning, he was doing a good job as per T.S.'s opinion. He was running a conservative dont "**** it up" offense. Which is Tonys style.
Chubbs

And optimists turn a blind eye to that more often than not.
The Bucs and Ravens championships really are to blame for all of this. Coaches mistakenly think the formula of Great Defense, Good Running Game and conservative offense wins titles.

What they are not taking into consideration is no matter if your Defense is #1 they still can not half compare to how dominant those defenses were. Those teams were the exception not the rule.

Yet certain coaches/regimes bang their heads against the wall trying to replicate it. This will be the bane of Tony S.
Chubbs

The Bucs and Ravens championships really are to blame for all of this. Coaches mistakenly think the formula of Great Defense, Good Running Game and conservative offense wins titles.

What they are not taking into consideration is no matter if your Defense is #1 they still can not half compare to how dominant those defenses were. Those teams were the exception not the rule.

Yet certain coaches/regimes bang their heads against the wall trying to replicate it. This will be the bane of Tony S.
Chubbs
Amazing defenses.

Wanny too seemed to strive for that same formula.

In ways, that seems cheap and lazy for a coach to try to win that way (i.e. we'll put all our eggs in one basket (the defense) and not place as much care into the other sides of the ball).

Chubbs

At one time that was a sucessful formula in the NFL but the rules have evolved into favoring pass heavy offenses and have become very unfreindly to defenses in general.

At one time that was a sucessful formula in the NFL but the rules have evolved into favoring pass heavy offenses and have become very unfreindly to defenses in general.

That's very logical, and it's arguable the resurgence of the pass heavy offenses were a reaction to that former defensive heavy formula. Ross is not far off in asking for our team to modernize and turn up the notch on the offense.

Back
Top Bottom