Jeff Ireland must build through the draft, not overpay for headlining free agents. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jeff Ireland must build through the draft, not overpay for headlining free agents.

UCF Nation

Active Roster
Reaction score
Once Joe Philbin and Co arrived in Miami - I got the message. The Miami Dolphins were rebuilding, again. Color me surprised. It seems every year was a rebuilding year. I remember in 2008 after we drafted Jake Long, signed Pennington, went 11-5 with an AFC East title, as well as making the playoffs....I actually thought the Dolphins were back. Boy, was I wrong.

After the mess caused by the Parcells- Sparano era, our Franchise is sitting at a perfect position to become a contender for years to come. The draft is the best way to start, while resigning out nucleus (excluding Jake Long) and continuing to find cheap players to develop into stars that will be cornerstones for this team. Instead I am hearing rumors of overpaying Mike Wallace, going after 37 year old safeties who are on the down leg of their career, and toiling with ideas of giving area precious draft picks for players in lucrative contracts (i.e. Larry Fitz - just an example). The cap space is a added bonus.

How does Green Bay continue to be a contender? Drafting. It helps they have had Brett Favre and now Aaron Rodgers as their franchise QB's but they also have fantastic drafting ability. They have built their team primarily from the draft, even flipping some players later on for additional draft picks. The best team in the NFL with drafting? The Houston Texans. Over the past 3 seasons they played 85% of the players they have drafted (Forbes.com) , and producing two all-pros [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]linebacker DeMeco Ryans and defensive end Mario Williams. They are a playoff team. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Going back to luxurious cap space Miami has. It has been years since we have been in such fantastic financial shape. As such, I would hate for overpaying for people like Mike Wallace to set this franchise back years. Use the our space to sign the likes of Jennings (players with great abilities that fit our culture and will contribute/ help develop our younger players) and Cook (talented players that won't break the bank). Draft the BPA for our holes with our multiple upper-round draft picks -> i.e. Lane Johnson to replace Jake Long, and players Tavon Austin/Keenan Allen/ Corradelle Patterson as our receivers of the future, and the best prospects for our secondary. And who says we need to eat up our WHOLE cap? Why save as much as we can so we can have maximum roster flexibility?

We have our quarterback of the future. I believe in Ryan Tannehill and think he will lead us back to prominence. But we need to make sure we have the best talent in the most cost effective, yet most guaranteed way. We'll still make the playoffs, but this is how we guarantee we can reach the mountain top and stay there for as long as possible.
[/FONT]

Name one team that doesn't build through the draft. Just one. Here, I'll try for you. Buffalo. Wrong. They signed 2 "high profile" DEs. They drafted 9 players. 9 > 2 last I checked. Most overused phrase on this website at this point. It doesn't mean you remain completely inactive during FA. If a FA is available that improves your team, you try for him. After that it's just business as to whether he's actually signed or not.

Also, that line of thinking didn't stop them from signing overpriced turds like Richard Marshall, did it?

and toiling with ideas of giving area precious draft picks for players in lucrative contracts (i.e. Larry Fitz - just an example).

That idea of trading for Fitz is a fan driven idea.

This is Ireland's last stand. If we don't make the playoffs, he is likely fired along with Philbin and his coaches.

Ireland and Co. will use every resource they have (money and draft picks) to win NOW.

The draft is the best way to build your team, but this FO and coaches don't have time for those players to develop. The HAVE to win NOW.

Once Joe Philbin and Co arrived in Miami - I got the message. The Miami Dolphins were rebuilding, again. Color me surprised. It seems every year was a rebuilding year. I remember in 2008 after we drafted Jake Long, signed Pennington, went 11-5 with an AFC East title, as well as making the playoffs....I actually thought the Dolphins were back. Boy, was I wrong.

After the mess caused by the Parcells- Sparano era, our Franchise is sitting at a perfect position to become a contender for years to come. The draft is the best way to start, while resigning out nucleus (excluding Jake Long) and continuing to find cheap players to develop into stars that will be cornerstones for this team. Instead I am hearing rumors of overpaying Mike Wallace, going after 37 year old safeties who are on the down leg of their career, and toiling with ideas of giving area precious draft picks for players in lucrative contracts (i.e. Larry Fitz - just an example). The cap space is a added bonus.

How does Green Bay continue to be a contender? Drafting. It helps they have had Brett Favre and now Aaron Rodgers as their franchise QB's but they also have fantastic drafting ability. They have built their team primarily from the draft, even flipping some players later on for additional draft picks. The best team in the NFL with drafting? The Houston Texans. Over the past 3 seasons they played 85% of the players they have drafted (Forbes.com) , and producing two all-pros linebacker DeMeco Ryans and defensive end Mario Williams. They are a playoff team.

Going back to luxurious cap space Miami has. It has been years since we have been in such fantastic financial shape. As such, I would hate for overpaying for people like Mike Wallace to set this franchise back years. Use the our space to sign the likes of Jennings (players with great abilities that fit our culture and will contribute/ help develop our younger players) and Cook (talented players that won't break the bank). Draft the BPA for our holes with our multiple upper-round draft picks -> i.e. Lane Johnson to replace Jake Long, and players Tavon Austin/Keenan Allen/ Corradelle Patterson as our receivers of the future, and the best prospects for our secondary. And who says we need to eat up our WHOLE cap? Why save as much as we can so we can have maximum roster flexibility?

We have our quarterback of the future. I believe in Ryan Tannehill and think he will lead us back to prominence. But we need to make sure we have the best talent in the most cost effective, yet most guaranteed way. We'll still make the playoffs, but this is how we guarantee we can reach the mountain top and stay there for as long as possible.

While I do agree with your statements and appreciate your input.. I'm confused by your sig.

You preach of building through the draft and not spending big money of FA's. Yet, your plan includes signing Greg Jennings, Reggie Bush, Starks, Smith, Hartline and Cook. All FA's that will be asking for big money, or already are, or are now franchised for big money.

While I do agree with your statements and appreciate your input.. I'm confused by your sig.

You preach of building through the draft and not spending big money of FA's. Yet, your plan includes signing Greg Jennings, Reggie Bush, Starks, Smith, Hartline and Cook. All FA's that will be asking for big money, or already are, or are now franchised for big money.

Thank you for your input.

You will notice I made the remark to resign our nucleus. Starks, Bush, Smith, Hartline and the others are ones I have said are FA's that should be signed. Cook shouldn't be big money like Wallace and I don't buy Jennings wants 12 million a year. Even if he did, he won't get it. Miami can sign him for much less when he realizes no team will pay him that. I'm willing to pay more for our FA's because you know they get the job done and the continuity are important for our QB.

Thank you for your input.

You will notice I made the remark to resign our nucleus. Starks, Bush, Smith, Hartline and the others are ones I have said are FA's that should be signed. Cook shouldn't be big money like Wallace and I don't buy Jennings wants 12 million a year. Even if he did, he won't get it. Miami can sign him for much less when he realizes no team will pay him that. I'm willing to pay more for our FA's because you know they get the job done and the continuity are important for our QB.

Just so I understand, you are in favor of resigning the same talent that lead us to a four year losing streak?

ok so playing devils advocate...you SEE we need help at wr and you SEE that we need help at cd, and oline subsequently, if we dont pay for wallace, or over pay for a vet at CB, how do you supposed we get quality starters on the team? your sig says draft Patterson, he wont be available at 12, so whats your plan B, and C, and D? please explain

Just so I understand, you are in favor of resigning the same talent that lead us to a four year losing streak?

Was that because of them? Or was it because of our poor QB play and coaching? Last season was an over achievement imo.

I can live with Smith and Long going, but Hartline and Starks are must haves next year. Reggie Bush would be a luxury but I would love him as well.

I don't care what your wall of text says. We need a #1 receiver, period. We can't let our Porshe sit and rott in the garage because we are too cheap to pay for premium gas, which is always going to be overpriced anyway. Our WRs combined for three touchdowns last year, THREE! That's unnacceptable...

Yes, of course, build the future through the draft. ... But for Christ's sake, DO NOT go into this year without a legitimate #1 receiver.

Was that because of them? Or was it because of our poor QB play and coaching? Last season was an over achievement imo.

I can live with Smith and Long going, but Hartline and Starks are must haves next year. Reggie Bush would be a luxury but I would love him as well.

Overpay for a #2 WR, instead of overpaying for a #1?

Starks is a must have, if we get Wallace or Jennings, Hartline is the luxury. That's the route we should go.

I find it funny people keep sayng we don't need to overpay for wallace, have yours noticed the empty seats? This team needs Wallace more than ever.

I'm with the OP. But to build through the draft you have to set yourself up well in FA by filling holes with mid-level signings to add depth at positions of need. Guys like: Keenan Lewis, DE Wallace Gilberry, T Barry Richardson, RB Mike Goodson, Domenik Hixon, rotational/situational pass rushers Quentin Groves or Victor Butler, CB DJ Moore, etc.

You cannot enter the draft with gaping holes on your roster (like at CB right now); doing so makes you prone to draft need over pure talent. You want to have the freedom to pick bpa.

I don't know if people read my article. Signing Jennings, at a reasonable price, would give us an able #1 receiver. Greg Jennings for 8-9 million when he knows the offense and is a team guy seems better than a receiver who is very talented but is more interested in getting paid versus being on a winning franchise.

But if you draft prospects in positions of need, that gives you cheaper alternatives with more upside than a free agent who has peaked our is in their current prime. I'm just not that high on Mike Wallace with that price tag, I'm sorry. If you need Mike Wallace to actually come to Dolphins games, go be a Patriots bandwagon fan. I support this team, win or lose. Greg Jennings would provide a lot of fan hype as well.

Back
Top Bottom