Jets Cheating too? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jets Cheating too?

The Jets won the single most significant game in pro football history.

The Jets won the single most significant game in pro football history.

I'd make fun of you for actually being dim enough to believe this, but I guess it can just be attributed to blind team loyalty.

I'd make fun of you for actually being dim enough to believe this, but I guess it can just be attributed to blind team loyalty.

The only other game in the conversation is the '58 Title game but that was a 7 turnover game that all the players insist was really sloppy and not a great game. It was the circumstances of the first sudden death OT that made that game special.

hey cedarphin why dont you give junc a warning about going off topic or something?

That is true BUT it is the most important game in the history of pro football.

No, no its not. Not even Top 25

17/28 for 200 yards is FAR from being a good game. The only reason he's in is because of his mouth and his incredible ego...both of which are miniature compared to Fatasaurus Rex

The importance of that game is a bit overstated. The NFL and AFL were heading for a merger already. The NFL was widely regarded as the vastly superior league and the Colts were heavy favorites. It was a huge upset and it did establish the AFL as viable league that could compete for a superbowl but alot of people actually think that the game was the cause of the merger or had a major part in it happening.

This coupled with Namaths guarantee made it out to be more than it was. Was it one of the biggest upsets in sports history? Probably, but saying its one of the most important games ever is overstating it in my opinion.

No, no its not. Not even Top 25

17/28 for 200 yards is FAR from being a good game. The only reason he's in is because of his mouth and his incredible ego...both of which are miniature compared to Fatasaurus Rex

You won't get the significance from looking at the stat sheet. Joe was an icon back then and his mouth helped create excitement for that game then delivering on his guarantee. he helped make the SB an important event and he and his team(followd up by KC whipping Minny the next year) legitimized the AFL. he;'s in the Hall more b/c of what he meant off the field than what he did on the field.

The importance of that game is a bit overstated. The NFL and AFL were heading for a merger already. The NFL was widely regarded as the vastly superior league and the Colts were heavy favorites. It was a huge upset and it did establish the AFL as viable league that could compete for a superbowl but alot of people actually think that the game was the cause of the merger or had a major part in it happening.

This coupled with Namaths guarantee made it out to be more than it was. Was it one of the biggest upsets in sports history? Probably, but saying its one of the most important games ever is overstating it in my opinion.

It legitimized the AFL and helped turn the SB into a must see event, that game got the ball rolling to what we see today on SB Sunday(whether we like or dislike what SB Sunday has become). It was an incredibly important game in the history of the sport, I don't think there is any game more sinificant.

If it didnt include New York and the incredible Media-overhype, it wouldn't be any more relevant than any other SB.

I suggest that SB's such as the Saints finally winning one after so many years of suckedness pales it in comparison. That one, as well as many others like it, proved that any given team on any given Sunday.
I would also like to point out a Superbowl that saw a team go undefeated for the first time ever..and only is much more relevant.

If it didnt include New York and the incredible Media-overhype, it wouldn't be any more relevant than any other SB.

I suggest that SB's such as the Saints finally winning one after so many years of suckedness pales it in comparison. That one, as well as many others like it, proved that any given team on any given Sunday.
I would also like to point out a Superbowl that saw a team go undefeated for the first time ever..and only is much more relevant.

Well guess what? it DID include NY and it helped bring eyeballs to TVs and helped make pro football our nat'l pasttime. Let's not forget pro football was well behind baseball in those days and having a star team in the biggest City in the Country(and media Capital) was huge in the growth of the sport.

Comparing the Saints win to the Jets win?:lol2::lol2:

Stars sell the game, who were the stars on Miami? Csonka? Morris? Warfield? they weren't stars like Namath or Ali(that's not a knock on Miami, I'd rather have an undefeated season and 2 SBs but they lacked the star power), I agree Namath's career is vastly overrated but his importance to the growth of the game is probably underrated.

Well guess what? it DID include NY and it helped bring eyeballs to TVs and helped make pro football our nat'l pasttime. Let's not forget pro football was well behind baseball in those days and having a star team in the biggest City in the Country(and media Capital) was huge in the growth of the sport.

Comparing the Saints win to the Jets win?:lol2::lol2:

Stars sell the game, who were the stars on Miami? Csonka? Morris? Warfield? they weren't stars like Namath or Ali(that's not a knock on Miami, I'd rather have an undefeated season and 2 SBs but they lacked the star power), I agree Namath's career is vastly overrated but his importance to the growth of the game is probably underrated.

Namath wasnt a star. By today's standards, he was a 3rd rate QB. Try again. You call Namath a star but pooh-pooh Drew Brees (Your logic not mine).

Sure the Saints was as important if not more. It brought hope to an entire region, not just one media centric ****hole that has to share its stadium with another team.

We can argue this forever....but sorry, you won't change my view of it.

Its all opinion anyway. Did it create a huge buzz and did it bring alot of excitment to the NFL? Sure. But judging the importance of games can be highly arbitrary. Was it more important than the first Monday Night Game which brought a decades long tradition to the NFL? Was it more important than games that actually caused the NFL rules to change like the pats raiders game? Looking at it from a different perspective, was it more important than the pats jets game in which Bledsoe got injured. Say what you want, that game led to the emergence of a pats run which included 3 super bowls, a hall of fame qb and a 16-0 season.

Eh, as i said its all opinion anyway not just in the game itself but how we arbitrarily define what constitutes "importance" in a game

Back
Top Bottom