Jets player: Brett Favre's departure leaves quarterback picture too Green for Jets

Discussion in 'Beasts of the AFC East' started by PATSSUCK, Feb 12, 2009.

Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
  1. PATSSUCK

PATSSUCK A True Fan

Basically, the Jets surrendered a third-round pick and released Chad Pennington for one dance with Favre. Now the music is playing and they don't have a partner.

"Why did they get rid of Chad in the first place?" one player asked, speaking on the condition of anonymity. "Eric (Mangini) treated him like a first-year quarterback from Day1. It was a bad decision from top to bottom, from beginning to end. Now we're paying for it. We put ourselves in this situation."

http://www.realgmfootball.com/src_w...s_player_were_now_paying_for_letting_chad_go/

I love watching the jets fall apart. I mean it really never gets old.

2. batmann

batmann Scout Team

I saw them debating on 1st and 10 today about who the winner was of the Favre acquisition, Green Bay or New York. It made me smile that neither of those morons could realize that the only real winner of that fiasco was Miami

3. phinasota

phinasota Bleed Aqua

I also love watching these guys fall apart!!!! I absolutley love it!!! Praise be to the football Gods!!! :thanks:

4. utahphinsfan

utahphinsfan Puck Fitzburgh

It was always my understading that getting Favre was a Woody Johnson & Tannenbaum (I believe that the jest GM). Mangini was never convinced.

Yet, Mangenius is the fall guy and the Diva from Mississippi rides off into the sunset relatively unscathed.

I'll believe Favre is retired when the 2009 season kicks off and he is NOT on anyone's roster. The real question about Brett's retirement is, "Who will Madden's mancrush be on now?" Oh yeah; Tommy Boy is coming back to Foxboro.

5. NBP81

NBP81 Yippi ka yay mother******! Donator

Whats the name of the jests board again... I could use a laugh right now...

6. Mr772

Mr772 Pro Bowler

You mean Gimp Brady? The pats don't pay Matt Cassell $14mil a year guaranteed unless they are worried about Gimpy's return.

7. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

Gang Green

8. shula_guy

shula_guy FinHeaven VIP

Be carefull everyone Clemens may emerge as something special. I do agree Manginni is not the Jets problem it was thier GM. Tannebaum should be canned.

9. CedarPhin

CedarPhin Finheaven Hall of Shame

Clemens was pretty good in college.

10. djfresh47

djfresh47 R.I.P. djfresh47

The Jets gotta be hoping Sanchez falls to them. If they had any faith in Clemens they wouldn't of traded for Favre. Furthermore Pennington was hurt in 05, and ineffective in 06 & 07.

The Jets went for it and it blew up in their face. Favre got worse as the season progressed. Even a guy like Jeff Garcia wouldn't be a bad pickup to atleast compete for the starting job.

11. Jetsfan89

Jetsfan89 Rookie

Tannenbaum has done a pretty good job. He is good at managing the salary cap and has had good drafts and his Free Agent signings have been very solid. The things he can be killed for are.

1. If Gholston turns into a bust.

2. Brett Favre. Only because it appears that Mangini didnt want him but even so the team was 8-3 with him. The rest is on the players in the locker room.

I mean everybody else he has brought in here has been good. He signed Pace, Faneca, Woody, and T-Rich and traded for Thomas Jones. Thats pretty solid.

His drafts have been strong. D'Brick, Mangold, Revis, Keller, Washington, and Harris have all made pretty big contributions and are all pro bowl caliber players at their respective posistions (Washington as a return man). Thats not bad for 3 drafts. He's drafted other guys like Smith, Stuckey, Wright maybe Clemens and or Lowery who have made contributions to this team as well.

I would blame Tannenbaum if the Jets were not at 8-3 having gone through the toughest part of their schedule. Something happened and thats what cost Mangini his job. I mean forget about what you think of Gholston. Mangini wouldnt even really let him get on the field. Bust or not you need to see what he can do in live game action. You cant call a guy a bust and just be done with him without actually giving him a chance on the field. He started getting on Dustin Keller and had him in the dog house all while he was really starting to become a real threat in the passing game.

Jay Glazer was on the air about a month ago talking about how he would call people into his office and quiz them about pointless stuff and talked about how he took to much responsibility away from his coaches and coordinators. I'm not saying Mangini is a horrible coach but I think he needs to learn from his mistakes or experience with the Jets.

12. ArmyFin7

ArmyFin7 U cry about the $$$, we do the dirtywork

Didnt the Jests have to pray for Favres retirement just to get them under the cap? A team that doesnt make the playoffs is way over the cap and thats good cap management?

13. Jetsfan89

Jetsfan89 Rookie

Tannenbaum insisted that even with Favre staying that the Jets would still have some cap room. Obviously not as much as they do now that he is gone but he did say they would be able to make some moves.

Tannenbaum has been in charge of the Jets salary cap far longer then he has been the GM of this team.

14. mindstate

mindstate Rookie

Who is the source who told you the Jets were way over the cap? The Jets are currently $15 million under the cap after Favre's retirement. Meaning we would have been about $2 million under even with him on the roster.

Link: nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2009/02/jets_cap_figures_official.html (can't post links, copy & paste)

Anyone who thinks Tannenbaum doesn't know what he's doing cap-wise is pretty misguided. He's one of the best cap guys in the league and a very good GM.

And as an aside, I honestly believe the Favre move was all Woody. I don't think Mangini OR Tannenbaum really wanted him like that. Tannenbaum is very mindful of the cap and I find it hard to believe he was in favor adding Favre's huge salary at the last moment just to try and replace Chad. I have no way of proving this one way or the other, but it doesn't really feel like a move he would typically make.

15. BleedinGreenNC

BleedinGreenNC Boondock Saint

You do realize that the cap is going up this year right? And how over do you assume that the Jets are over the cap? Tard.

16. ArmyFin7

http://nyjetscap.com/salary.html

Special Cap Notes for February:
    Hutch's latest numbers indicate the Jets have 15.5 million in cap space to work with.

Pat Kirwan of NFL.com has reported the Jets to be about 2 million under the cap following the retirement of Brett Favre. The details are buried in this article

Rich Cimini of the Daily News has reported the Jets to have 10 million in salary cap space, in a report available here.

John Clayton of ESPN is now reporting that the Jets have 7.5 million in cap room, which can be read here.

Now basic math tells me that if I add the 13 million Favre was going to cost this season by all account except for Hutch's report....the jets were over the cap with Favres salary. Make sense to me. What's so difficult??

17. mindstate

mindstate Rookie

So you're choosing to go by the reports which help your argument -- all of which are reporting different numbers -- but ignoring the one that doesn't. Which also happens to be the most recent one.

Where did Kirwan and the rest get their numbers? Hutchinson states his came directly from a league official.

BTW, you really seem to spend a lot of time digging up info on the Jets cap situation. Obsessed much? :lol: I guess we all need a hobby.

18. ArmyFin7

It was a list of 4 sources....Im not sure how I disreguarded hutch's list since it was included. Kirwin keeps a cap list of every team in the NFL that he says he updates daily, sometimes more than once a day. I'm not sure what your argument is. Where did hutch's list come from? A league official...that could be anyone. Is his the best because it was the only one posted that said the jets would have been under than cap with Favre? BTW if you look at lots of websites they list teams cap #'s for every team. When you disagreed with my post I decided to take roughly 45 seconds to google the jets specifically and post it.

19. mindstate

mindstate Rookie

LOL.

This argument is just going in circles now. Believe what you will. Tannenbaum is a horrible cap manager and the Jets are in cap hell. There ya go.

20. Jetsfan89

Jetsfan89 Rookie

Its a stupid argument because even if the Jets were over the cap (meaning Favre stays) there are still other players that could be cut or who could restructure there deals to help the Jets get under.

21. Jetsfan0099

Jetsfan0099 Scout Team

Jets aren't in cap hell. With the recent releasing of David Bowens and Brad Kassell they are now around $20 mil under the cap.

22. shula_guy

shula_guy FinHeaven VIP

Thats exactly the postion they will be in when June hits and Favre decides to unretire.

23. BleedinGreenNC

And he will be released, simple as that.

24. Jetsfan89

Jetsfan89 Rookie

Whatever helps you sleep at night I guess.

25. jetsman

jetsman Scout Team

Apparently they didn't have any faith in Pennington last year either because we cut him.How did he play anyway????Clemens is better than Penny and now he gets to play behind a good offensive line.The year before he had more wins and TD's than Penny playing behind the same atrocious O-line.

Clemens is a good QB who just hasn't gotten his shot yet.He is better than Favre was last season.

26. nyjunc

nyjunc A True Fan

How exactly are the jets falling apart? We need decent QB play and we'll be a playoff contender. it's not asking alot. We are solid everywhere else and let's not forget that Chad pennington w/ our awful OL in 2007 was as bad as Kellen Clemens so let's see what KC can do w/ our good OL or maybe Ratliff is ready? Who knows? But falling apart? That is wishful thinking.

27. nyjunc

nyjunc A True Fan

Clemens being good is TBD. We'll see, he deserves a shot but he still has alot to prove.

28. jetsman

jetsman Scout Team

I thought Clemens performed better than Pennington in 2007 and lead the team to more wins with a horrible,not bad,but HORRIBLE offensive line.He deserves a shot behind a good line and this season I believe he will get that shot.I believe in my gut we would have made the playoffs if Clemens had replaced Favre.No way he throws 2 TD's and 9 INT's in those last 5 games.

Tell me you don't honestly feel we had a better chance with Clemens over Favre those last 5 games.

29. nyjunc

nyjunc A True Fan

I don't think overall he was better than Chad but I think Clemens showed some nice signs leading some comebacks. I was disappoitned b/c he was regressing by the end of the season instead of getting better BUT he deserves a shot w/ the talent we have(especially the good OL) and I am excited to see the QB competition this summer.

I think Kyle macey would have given us abetter chance to win that last month than Favre:lol::(

30. ArmyFin7

The Jets have really got to sign a vet to be a backup plan don't they?

31. nyjunc

nyjunc A True Fan

I would expect we'd sign a vet to compete w/ Ratliff and Clemens.

32. ArmyFin7

As crazy as it sounds I think Frerotte would be a good fit in NY.

33. BleedinGreenNC

i think hes a good average QB, i wouldnt mind.

34. jetsman

jetsman Scout Team

I would rather give Clemens and Ratliff a shot before thinking about bringing in any re-treads.Clemens is better than Frerotte right now.

35. ArmyFin7

so if clemmens is the starter and yall are say....5-1, are you really gonna trust ratliff to take over with so much on the line? I'd have a guy in the fold already.

36. jetsman

jetsman Scout Team

People in the organization are very high on Ratliff.We've heard that the office is almost evenly split between Clemens and Ratliff to be the future of the franchise.Ratliff has looked very good when he has been given opportunities.

I would feel comfortable with those two at QB because we have built a great O-line and have good RB's to take the pressure off the QB.We are gonna run the ball a LOT with Rex Ryan and the QB just needs to keep defenses honest,which both of our have the arms to do.

37. DMC80

DMC80 Active Member

The jets should go out and get a real solid QB. Maybe a proven leader...................Cleo Lemon:loco:

38. Possum

Possum I'M AMAZIN', YEA, IM ALL THAT!! Donator

jets offseasons =
    [​IMG]

39. jetsman

jetsman Scout Team

Careful,your Jets envy is turning that aqua to green........:chuckle::chuckle: