Jets sent draft pick from Brett Favre trade back to Packers | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jets sent draft pick from Brett Favre trade back to Packers

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
Brett Favre is giving back to the Green Bay Packers (via his other former team, the New York Jets).

The Jets returned a 2010 seventh-round draft pick to the Packers that had been part of the compensation garnered in the trade that sent Favre to New York last summer.

The pick was conditional if Favre played one season with the Jets and then retired, which he did.

"The Jets needed a little bit more flexibility in case they wanted to use some future picks to trade. So since that seventh rounder was sort of a throwaway on the (Favre trade), we agreed to change some language in the trade papers in return for the seventh-round pick," Packers GM Ted Thompson told the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel.

"That's all there was to it. People do that from time to time; change some language of the trade."

http://blogs.usatoday.com/thehuddle...k-from-brett-favre-trade-back-to-packers.html

So, the Jets screwed themselves again? They got a 7th round pick and said "Na, we don't want it". What kind of front office does that?

I really don't understand this one. wtf?

I understand that a 7th round pick is not really that great of compensation, but a draft pick is still a draft pick. A 7th round pick can sweeten a trade offer, it could land you a draft surprise or it could end up being a player that doesn't make the team. Still, I would rather have the pick then not have it.

Are we sure the writer didn't flip it? The pick going back from Packers to Jets?

It would make sense if the pic was from the packers to the jets...but if not you can't help but :chuckle: then :lol: followed by :sidelol:

Are we sure the writer didn't flip it? The pick going back from Packers to Jets?
No, the original trade had the Jets getting a 7th round pick from the Packers if Favre retired after one season. Favre retired, so the Jets got the pick. Now for some reason, they are sending it back to the Packers.

Probably has something to do with the salary cap.Tannenbaum is a genius manuevering within the cap.

Probably has something to do with the salary cap.Tannenbaum is a genius manuevering within the cap.

ok, I read your post and can't help wondering....How the hell does a 7th round pick next year have anything to do with your salary cap? I realize your a Jet fan and tryin to defend your Gm, but come on, that is just idiotic.

BTW, Tanny didn't care about the 7th rounder, it wouldn't be much ammo when it comes to trading up in the first round next yr.

Who cares? Its a 7th round pick... You guys use anything to try and make fun of the Jets, this is completely stupid. 9 out of 10 times your 7th round pick will be camp fodder anyways. Plus you can find the same type of gems in UDFA, like the Jets may of found this year with Jammal Westerman who has been outstanding in camp for us.

Genius? He just gave away a draft pick. That is like saying someone who jumps off the roof of a building instead of taking the stairs is a genius.

Who cares? Its a 7th round pick... You guys use anything to try and make fun of the Jets, this is completely stupid. 9 out of 10 times your 7th round pick will be camp fodder anyways. Plus you can find the same type of gems in UDFA, like the Jets may of found this year with Jammal Westerman who has been outstanding in camp for us.
This is a boneheaded move by the Jets and you know it. I mentioned above that yes 7th round picks hardly have success, however there is more then one way to use a 7th round pick. Say come draft day next year and there is a player the Jets really want in the 4th round. However, there are still five teams to pick in front of them. They could use that extra 7th round pick to swing a trade to move up a few spots and get the guy they want.

The Jets won't have that luxury now.

Back
Top Bottom