Jets super fan Fireman Ed deletes Twitter account; leaves game at halftime | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jets super fan Fireman Ed deletes Twitter account; leaves game at halftime

zaskarkid

Isittopee
Reaction score
Published November 23, 2012 | By Jason Whitney

During the New York Jets Thanksgiving day massacre, superfan and possibly the most famous fan in all of sports, Fireman Ed saw enough. Fireman Ed aka Ed Anzalone could not take the debacle that took place against the hated New England Patriots during the second quarter. The Patriots 35 second quarter points are now fourth all-time for most points scored in a quarter. That probably would make even though most optimistic fan want to leave. The Patriots would go on to win 49-19 in the nightcap of the Thanksgiving day games.
According to ESPN New York:

Fireman Ed, aka Ed Anzalone, apparently couldn’t take the debacle of a second quarter and left at the half. That is according to Twitter users who say they sat in his section. Anzalone’s own Twitter account was deactivated during the game as well. Not a banner night for the team, and not for an icon of a New York Jets fan either.

Former nose tackle and analyst Kris Jenkins noticed. “Fireman Ed deleted his account?” Jenkins tweeted. “Wow thought he was a diehard fan? Guess he went back to the Dolphins.”

Jets superfan Fireman Ed retires

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8675816/new-york-jets-superfan-fireman-ed-hangs-helmet
Bwahahahaha. Retired from what?
New York Jets superfan Fireman Ed, who for decades has fueled home crowds with his famous "J-E-T-S!" cheer, has decided to "R-E-T-I-R-E!"

Debby Wong/US PresswireEd Anzalone, better known as Fireman Ed, has been a Jets fan since 1975.

Ed Anzalone, who created a stir Thanksgiving night when he left MetLife Stadium at halftime of the Jets' 49-19 loss to the New England Patriots and deleted his Twitter account, announced Sunday night that he no longer will attend home games as Fireman Ed.

The hits just keep coming for the 4-7 Jets, who became a national laughingstock with a mistake-filled performance on national TV.

Anzalone, in a guest column for Metro New York, explains that the Jets' poor season isn't the reason why he has decided to hang up his fireman's helmet. He writes he left the game because "confrontations with other Jets fans have become more common, even though most Jets fans are fantastic."

He says he also left early during the previous home game, a 30-9 loss to the Miami Dolphins.

Sanchez killed fireman ed.lmao.

Anzalone cites his loyalty to embattled starting quarterback Mark Sanchez as the cause of the confrontations.

"The stadium has become divided because of the quarterback controversy," he claims. "The fact that I chose to wear a Mark Sanchez jersey this year, and that fans think I am on the payroll -- which is an outright lie -- have made these confrontations more frequent. Whether it's in the stands, the bathroom or the parking lot, these confrontations are happening on a consistent basis."

Fireman Ed always used to wear No. 42 (Bruce Harper's old jersey), but he switched to Sanchez in a show of support. During the 2010 season, Anzalone, who rarely attends road games, flew to Pittsburgh and sat near the Jets' bench because he wanted to be there for the then-slumping Sanchez.
ike Sanchez's father, Anzalone is a retired firefighter. He didn't return messages seeking comment.

Fireman Ed, 53, has been a Jets fan since 1975. He popularized the cheer that's known around the NFL: "J-E-T-S! Jets! Jets! Jets!" For the 2012 season opener, he was invited by the team to participate in the pregame ceremony, leading the cheer from midfield.

He was a staple at Jets home games, leading his cheer from his seat at MetLife Stadium. He always appeared on the JumboTron and often received face time on the game telecast. In September 2009, he received a game ball from coach Rex Ryan after the Jets upset the Patriots at home.

Anzalone was well-known throughout the league. He once said he was walking through a stadium parking lot when Patriots owner Robert Kraft drove up in a limo, rolled down the window and complimented him for being a positive influence on the league.

Fireman Ed said he will continue to root for the Jets and attend games, just not in his usual garb.

"I have enjoyed my time in chanting the greatest chant in all of sports," he says. "I have enjoyed meeting all the wonderful Jets fans around the world and look forward to the day we all can raise the Lombardi Trophy as one and celebrate a world championship down the Canyon of Heroes."

:lol:

Junc should come in as a scab Fireman Ed and try to steal the role.

Fireman Ed is a retired fireman.

What does junc do for a living other than know it all? He needs a gimmick.

Right now I'm calling him Sherlock Spin.

Sounds to me like you slap a fireman's helmet on him and let ol' Bobby Barker say "Come on down you're the next contestant on who wants to lead the Jets ****y chant tonight!"

Back
Top Bottom