Joe Philbin details Ryan Tannehill's starting path | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Joe Philbin details Ryan Tannehill's starting path

datruth55

Hungry for defense
Club Member
Reaction score
David Garrard remains the favorite to earn the starting job for the Miami Dolphins, but first-round draft pick Ryan Tannehill aims to be the starter and was impressive during the Dolphins' scrimmage at Sun Life Stadium on Saturday morning.

First-year Dolphins head coach Joe Philbin was the first guest of the week on NFL Network's "NFL AM," and analyst Eric Davis asked what Tannehill needs to do to earn the starting job.

"First and foremost, he's gotta be a decision-maker," Philbin said after taking time to note that to be a great decision-maker takes time, experience and a quarterback's understanding of his own system, as well as, what the opposing defense is doing.

"Second thing is, if you're going to play quarterback in the NFL, you gotta make plays at critical times to win games," Philbin said. "That's something that, you know, we try to simulate the best we can on the practice field. We've been doing that, and obviously the preseason will give us another opportunity to gauge how far along he is in his development.

"The third thing is the game management," Philbin added. "That's obviously critical. Can he handle the pressures, the audibles, the checks, the time clock, etc.? ... Those are all factors that we've got to weigh in. And the last thing is does he have the respect of his teammates, which I think all of those candidates, as well as Pat Devlin, are guys that are highly-regarded by his teammates."

We should find out more about the Dolphins' quarterback competition this week. Beginning on Tuesday night when "Hard Knocks" premieres on HBO and, more importantly, when the Dolphins open up their preseason schedule against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Friday night.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...ills-starting-path?module=HP11_headline_stack

Good video interview as well. Talks about a few other things besides Tannehill.

The staff may feel comfortable in keeping Devlin as the 4th QB going into the season so that during the season they can trade Moore(if Garrard can keep healthy) when his value is highest right before the trade deadline.
IMHO..In the long term, RT and Devlin are locks, while Garrard and Moore are stop gap.

interesting that he even threw delvin's name in there.

He's made it a point to do that since before Tannehill was even drafted. He's the kind of guy that doesn't like to be unfair to anyone and truly takes to heart the message he's stated a few times now that "Every player deserves a coach that believes in him."

if they keep giving devlin only run with the 3's pretty much we probably can get him back on the p squad...might depend on in the final preseason game where he probably will play a lot how he looks...if he shows off a much better arm and good accuracy might be a little dicey...chance we probaby have to take...i doubt we carry 3 qbs the more i think about it...matt moores getting traded and for peanuts unless garrards back acts up or he gets dinged up and they don't trust him to stay healthy...

He's made it a point to do that since before Tannehill was even drafted. He's the kind of guy that doesn't like to be unfair to anyone and truly takes to heart the message he's stated a few times now that "Every player deserves a coach that believes in him."

I think there could more to it than the coach having respect for the player and belief in the player.
IMHO..Devlin has WCO skills. They may see him as a solid back up for 2013.
By 2013, I doubt Garrard or moore will be on this roster. They may not want to risk losing him.
Just the ramblings of a long time fan..

if they keep giving devlin only run with the 3's pretty much we probably can get him back on the p squad...might depend on in the final preseason game where he probably will play a lot how he looks...if he shows off a much better arm and good accuracy might be a little dicey...chance we probaby have to take...i doubt we carry 3 qbs the more i think about it...matt moores getting traded and for peanuts unless garrards back acts up or he gets dinged up and they don't trust him to stay healthy...

I really don't see Moore being traded for peanuts. His contract is decent, he has shown he can win games, and backup QB is probably one of the more important spots on a team. Ask the Bears. He may be traded but it won't be for peanuts. And if anyone does not want to offer more than peanuts than it is in our best interest to keep him.

I really don't see Moore being traded for peanuts. His contract is decent, he has shown he can win games, and backup QB is probably one of the more important spots on a team. Ask the Bears. He may be traded but it won't be for peanuts. And if anyone does not want to offer more than peanuts than it is in our best interest to keep him.

conditional late round pick...6th or 7th

The Bears? Ask the Colts, lol. Of course that got them Andrew Luck so it wasn't all bad (other than watching them during the season).

I agree with ck on this one though. Philbin has made it a point not to demean any player. He's never too high on a guy and never too low, he just evaluates things as they come. Like he said in his introduction speach as the new head coach..."demanding without being demeaning".

conditional late round pick...6th or 7th

This is where we disagree. His salary is not an issue, and the team would rather a great backup QB, as stated, versus a condition 6th or 7th. No way. I say a guaranteed 5th up to a conditional 4th (with that condition likely being 2 starts or something along those lines)

This is where we disagree. His salary is not an issue, and the team would rather a great backup QB, as stated, versus a condition 6th or 7th. No way. I say a guaranteed 5th up to a conditional 4th (with that condition likely being 2 starts or something along those lines)

the whole league other than miami fans it seems looks at matt moore as a backup...no ones taking him on thinking that he's taking them anywhere...if you get offered a 5th round pick jump on it...i don't see it going down like that...if you get a 4th do back flips...i'll stick with where i see his value around the league right now...late round...the contract i think helps matters but not enough to make it mean anything

the whole league other than miami fans it seems looks at matt moore as a backup...no ones taking him on thinking that he's taking them anywhere...if you get offered a 5th round pick jump on it...i don't see it going down like that...if you get a 4th do back flips...i'll stick with where i see his value around the league right now...late round...the contract i think helps matters but not enough to make it mean anything

I agree that not many teams view him as a surefire starter, but he's got enough value as a fringe starter/back up that I think hed be able to snag some team willing to give up picks. Would he start in Arizona? I say yes, he would. I also think he'd do very well there.

His value will go up as teams lose qb's to injury. The less he plays the better, teams fall in love with the hope that he'd be the answer. (Aj Feely, Kevin Kolb, Matt Flynn, etc) Someone will overpay, especially when there's more than 1 team bidding. Right now, he's worth more than a 4th to us as an insurance policy.

I agree that not many teams view him as a surefire starter, but he's got enough value as a fringe starter/back up that I think hed be able to snag some team willing to give up picks. Would he start in Arizona? I say yes, he would. I also think he'd do very well there.

you might be able to start in arizona...ha ha

A 6th or 7th is not worth it to us at this moment. He is a quality backup at worst. You cannot get that consistency in the 6th round. Other teams interested will be interested because of need and need alone. Not because they are looking for a project, somebody to compete, or just taking a cheap risk on a flyer. The guy won 6 games last year in 9 tries. Whatever you want to say, and I will not argue too much about whether or not he is worth a ****. The guy won, moved and managed a offense. There were starters and backups in this league who were not on par with him last year by a long shot.

Back
Top Bottom