Joe Philbin Passes his First Test as Head Coach | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Joe Philbin Passes his First Test as Head Coach

Hayden Fox

Is it Sunday yet?
Club Member
Reaction score
Joe Philbin, as a first time coach, had a very big challenge on his hands assembling his staff. I heard some the "experts" on the radio question that Joe could put a quality staff because he is a first timer and got hired somewhat late.

While he is not done assembling his staff, Philbin has passed his first test with flying colors. Philbin hired two quality coaches as coordinators. Mike Sherman is an OUTSTANDING choice for OC. I could have made an argument for Sherman as HC a few weeks ago. Sherman is an experienced coach that has a strong relationship with Philbin. Sherman has successfully assembled and coordinated offenses at the NFL level. Sherman is also known for developing QB's as well. Watch for other quality assistants to want to work for Mike Sherman on the offensive side of the ball.

From the start, I wanted Sherman for OC over other names like Tom Clements and Edgar Bennett, not just because of his offensive mind, but that he is a former HC. He will be able to guide Philbin through the adversity that is bound to come.

Kevin Coyle is a solid selection. He has coached as long as many of the players have been alive. Whether we play a 4-3 or 3-4, the personnel is there to be successful as long as a pass rusher is add to the mix. Add to the talent level and Coyle will be fine. Here is what I like BEST about Coyle: Gibril Wilson and Chris Crocker had success under Coyle's coaching. I think I am sold.

Things will not be perfect for Joe Philbin...nothing is for any coach. However, he is off to great start in hiring his staff.

The good thing about Coyle is the fact that he has probably been picking Zimmer's brain the last few years

I'm a fan of the process so far.

Remember when the team was in absolute wreckage (So was said) a week ago, and now, all of a sudden we're in fantastic shape
with uncharacteristic solid hireing practice?

Never thought I'd see the name "Gibril Wilson" and the word "successful" in the same sentence. Count me in!

As if grounding and pounding Mr Mediocrity, Jeff Fisher wouldn't have been bad enough - then having to contend with BabySchotty? This board would be imploding from within!

I do like Gregg Williams but an argument can justifiably be made that he's on his own downward spiral so that would probably breakout into another contentious ongoing "debate."

We are one very fortunate fanbase indeed! (for a change)

I knew Coyle was a pretty good coach, but if he was able to get results from GIBRIL WILSON, then that makes me feel even better lol.

The good news is a refreshing change. After this past season, and especially last offseason we as Dolphins fans could use some positive vibes.

Never thought I'd see the name "Gibril Wilson" and the word "successful" in the same sentence. Count me in!

Coyle is the guy that Andy Reid wanted to hire as his DC last year but the Bengals wouldn't let him interview.

It looks like we are heading in the right direction....I looking forward to Dolphins football again

Back
Top Bottom