Joe Philbin's post-season comments... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Joe Philbin's post-season comments...

You can root for a guy all you want but if you dont think a guy has it in him, are u not just fooling yourself. There is nothing in Ireland's history here that suggests that he will do anything spectacular this offseason.
I mean just because its obvious that Ireland is not goijng to be fired after a 4th losing season in a row doesnt mean somehow our opinion of him should somehow improve.

Let me ask you this. If we ended up with John Beck as our backup next season and Tannehill went down. You would hope for the best but you would have a realistic expectation.
What about Ireland's history suggests I should have a high expectation for his free agency period and draft. Ireland has already contributed to one coach here losing his job, so by keeping him and possibly being forced to change Gm's next season, he could easily take Philben with him. I mean at that point if we have another losing season the owner may rationilize that he needs to make wholesale changes.
I dont understand why some people act like you shouldnt base your opinion of what Ireland will do, based on what he has done. Not one fan here is hoping he wastes more draft picks and more money but to many that is the expectation based on their opinion of his body of work. Some people act like some fans just have an irrational hate for our gm. We have had the same guy as Gm for 5 years now, we have had time to form somewhat valid opinions.

Q. How closely will you work with Jeff Ireland in deciding which players to re-sign and what free agents to pursue?

JP: Jeff is very open. There is a big collaboration. You have to have that to be successful. I’m very much looking forward to working with Jeff during this process

This could just be plain ol naivety on my part, But everything I've read and heard suggest the Irleand last offseason and especially this offseason doing the signing of FA and the Draft isn't the same one under the Sparano era. I don't think anyone would disagree Top to Bottom we have a much much better coaching staff and those familiar with winning! What it takes to win and more importantly the players required to do so! Think about the GRAVITY of that? IF Ireland took input on who to sign in FA and the Draft it was from Tony Sporano and David Deboll? DO YOU GET THAT? Do either of those "coaches" from their experiences here and after seem to have a clue on what talent is? How to identify talent? and cultivate it?

I have no doubt that this Offseason and Draft will be a collaborative effort.I like everyone else may not have the biggest belief in Ireland individuall, But w/ a big input from "this" coaching staff I more than comfortable and excited at whats getting ready to take place.

My question for you is what do you expect him to say.

Jeff Ireland after we gave Sparano an extension
"We did our due diligence in an effort to improve this organization," said Ireland, reading a statement. "In the beginning and the end of all this, I believe Tony Sparano is the right coach for this team. I've always felt that. That has never changed."

Steve Ross after giving sparano an extension
"The emphasis is going to be on offense -- an exciting offense, a more aggressive offense, creative," Ross said. "I will deliver a winner. That is my commitment.

Tony sparano after his extension
"Jeff and I have agreed not to agree a bunch of times," Sparano said. "Sometimes there's smoke coming from that office. If there's not, it's not healthy. It needs to happen.
"At the end of this whole thing, we'll keep communicating, and it's going to be fine. We're going to try to do the best thing for this franchise together. That's the way it has to be -- together."

and my favorite piece of BS ever.
Instead of offering Harbaugh a job, Ross said, he gave advice.

If you going to put Philibins pulse on what's going on! What needs to happen in the going forward and How best to accomplish that in the same League as Sporano! Then, we really have nothing to discuss.

Our foundation clearly are on different materials!

---------- Post added at 10:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 AM ----------

My greatest concern (aside from Jeff Ireland) is the fact that we have a stronger schedule next year and despite improvement in the staff and players next year, we might have a similar record and/or worse. However, if we do "man up" and win some of those games against playoff teams, then we might finally be there.

This schedule thing is always interesting! It always assumes those teams will be just as good as they've been the previous season and from my observation, that's usually not the case.

Imo, Ireland had his best draft last year and I believe Philbin's influence had a lot to do with that. I think they will do good things this offseason.
also, if you only judge people by their past performance, you should expect Matt Ryan to fall flat on his face this weekend

Judging a player by 3 playoff games is hardly alot of history. judging a gm by 5 years is quite different. Im not one of those people that believe that a player that has shown he can get it done during the regular season somehow cannot get it done during the playoffs.

This could just be plain ol naivety on my part, But everything I've read and heard suggest the Irleand last offseason and especially this offseason doing the signing of FA and the Draft isn't the same one under the Sparano era. I don't think anyone would disagree Top to Bottom we have a much much better coaching staff and those familiar with winning! What it takes to win and more importantly the players required to do so! Think about the GRAVITY of that? IF Ireland took input on who to sign in FA and the Draft it was from Tony Sporano and David Deboll? DO YOU GET THAT? Do either of those "coaches" from their experiences here and after seem to have a clue on what talent is? How to identify talent? and cultivate it?

I have no doubt that this Offseason and Draft will be a collaborative effort.I like everyone else may not have the biggest belief in Ireland individuall, But w/ a big input from "this" coaching staff I more than comfortable and excited at whats getting ready to take place.

The staff is better in some areas. I dont think we have a better defensive staff but we have a better offensive staff. Every gm takes input from his coaches but ultimately the blame for players signed and drafted falls on the GM.

---------- Post added at 11:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 AM ----------

If you going to put Philibins pulse on what's going on! What needs to happen in the going forward and How best to accomplish that in the same League as Sporano! Then, we really have nothing to discuss.

Our foundation clearly are on different materials!

---------- Post added at 10:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 AM ----------

This schedule thing is always interesting! It always assumes those teams will be just as good as they've been the previous season and from my observation, that's usually not the case.

My point was out of both sparano and ireland's mouth they had a good working relationship. I still dont get why I should have any faith in a gm that has done little to inspire faith

The staff is better in some areas. I dont think we have a better defensive staff but we have a better offensive staff. Every gm takes input from his coaches but ultimately the blame for players signed and drafted falls on the GM.

---------- Post added at 11:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 AM ----------

My point was out of both sparano and ireland's mouth they had a good working relationship. I still dont get why I should have any faith in a gm that has done little to inspire faith

You shouldn't as a matter of fact since its clearly obvious you don't believe we will be a better team next season under this defensive staff and more importantly this GM. It's only logical to either not support/watch/engage in this team or to find another team for 2013. After-all I'm assuming "LOGIC" is what your going by considering your other post?

This is for u also Anu. Why didnt Ireland address a major need like Wr last year in the draft or free agency or even trade. He created a hole but made no attempt to fill it.

You shouldn't as a matter of fact since its clearly obvious you don't believe we will be a better team next season under this defensive staff and more importantly this GM. It's only logical to either not support/watch/engage in this team or to find another team for 2013. After-all I'm assuming "LOGIC" is what your going by considering your other post?

So Im supposed to stop being a fan just because I dont agree with the direction. Didnt realized thats how being a fan worked so just turn it off okay. who cares about the years I have invested in my team and that I want them to win ok

Judging a player by 3 playoff games is hardly alot of history. judging a gm by 5 years is quite different. Im not one of those people that believe that a player that has shown he can get it done during the regular season somehow cannot get it done during the playoffs.
if you're going back 5 years, do you have to give Ireland credit for a division championship?

So Im supposed to stop being a fan just because I dont agree with the direction. Didnt realized thats how being a fan worked so just turn it off okay. who cares about the years I have invested in my team and that I want them to win ok

SOOOOO you think investing in a company that you feel has a bad owner, bad vision, bad personnel and bad managerial staff makes sense?Furthermore, Because of all the "money" all these years, you've "already invested?" Yep, your right! I must be the crazy, illogical one.

of course I do along with the four losing seasons that followed. not a good tradeoff in my opinion
I find it interesting that you believe Jeff Ireland can't do what he has already done, but have faith that Matt Ryan can do what he has never done.
yes, we saw the Dolphins decline from '09 to '11 but they reversed the trend this year.
Do you believe the 2012 team was better than 2011?

SOOOOO you think investing in a company that you feel has a bad owner, bad vision, bad personnel and bad managerial staff makes sense?Furthermore, Because of all the "money" all these years, you've "already invested?" Yep, your right! I must be the crazy, illogical one.

I won't try to speak for other members, but when I "invested" in this franchise they had a great owner (Joe Robbie), a great GM (Bobby Betheard), a great coach (Don Shula), and great personnel (72 and 73 Dolphins). I mourn over what the follow-on owners, GMs, coaches and players have done to this once proud franchise.

When you pick a team, you don't drop it just because of rough times. Surely, this is a joke?

What about Ireland's history suggests I should have a high expectation for his free agency period and draft. Ireland has already contributed to one coach here losing his job, so by keeping him and possibly being forced to change Gm's next season, he could easily take Philben with him.QUOTE]

No, Sparano was as bad a HC as I ever seen, he is really an inept guy with lots of passion but little brains! Look the disaster he made on New York, and he was fired after one season. Sparano being bad had nothing to do with Ireland being average. I said average because he has landed VERY good players in Jones (5th), Wake (FA), Fields and Pouncey (1st). Lots of players looking SOLID like, Misi, Bess, Hartline, Miller and Smith. Some players that were really good but are declining and/or very expensive like Long, Langford and Vontae Davis (who was traded at the right time). And some free agents that are difference makers like Dansby, Bush and Starks. If Tannehill is in fact a Solid QB, that would make him above average.

Jeff crearly made some big mistakes like Pat White (I don't know if he was his pick), Beck, Jerry, Edds and Turner, and some stupid FA signings but he not that bad. BAD is the GM of the Jets. Gholston (1 round bust), Keller (not a first round talent), Sanchez (first round bust), Wilson (looking average 1st round), Coples (on dissapearing mode 1st round), that is BAD!!

Back
Top Bottom