John Clayton on the Wildcat | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

John Clayton on the Wildcat

jim1

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Whether or not you are wild about the Wildcat offense, the Miami Dolphins' success while using it last season has made a direct snap for expanded use in 2009.

The Dolphins used a second-round draft choice on West Virginia quarterback Pat White to take the Wildcat to the next level. Tennessee Titans coach Jeff Fisher is thinking about giving the formation a try, which could give Vince Young an opportunity to get back onto the field. And what if Michael Vick lands with a team to run some Wildcat?

Coaches have devoted plenty of practice time in minicamps and organized team activities experimenting with their versions of the formation and trying to find ways to stop it.

The addition of White -- a good thrower -- to the Dolphins' Wildcat arsenal is the biggest fear for opposing teams. During the course of the 2008 season, defenses managed to contain the running portions of the Wildcat to some degree. It's the passing aspects that cause the greatest fears.

"You have to make sure you eliminate the big play," Fisher said. "You work deep to short. You don't want the guy taking the ball and you have everybody chasing him, and then he throws it."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=4302360

What if Pat White was just like one huge misdirection play and after all this planning and obsession about the Wildcat, Miami just went total west coast offense or something like that on defenses.

I am thinking that maybe the dolphins should get away from the wildcat because teams will be geared up to stop us. there is a college team that will be running a wildcat with a tightend throwing the ball oklahoma state is contemplating the use of two fullbacks 2 te's and 1 wr.

What if Pat White was just like one huge misdirection play and after all this planning and obsession about the Wildcat, Miami just went total west coast offense or something like that on defenses.

It definitely opens up possibilities. The article that you posted, Bill Walsh on the single wing- one thing that stuck with me is the durability issue- Walsh seemed to indicate that the single wing/wildcat was a superior offensive threat, the drawback being, as he put it, that you don't risk a Joe Montana unless you have a Joe Montana in reserve.

So if it's used in a somewhat limited fashion, a 6-0, 190 lb guy like White has less of a chance of getting knocked silly. I'm a little surprised that Walsh didn't find his own special Wildcat guy- actually maybe he had one in Steve Young- he was just riding the bench there for a while and he'd be great in the Wildcat imo.

Most are bashing Vick, but I think that you're right- there is value to be had there and with the league movement to this formation I'd be surprised if someone didn't take a chance, I'm still thinking the Pats- good luck covering a running Vick and Moss deep.

Most are bashing Vick, but I think that you're right- there is value to be had there and with the league movement to this formation I'd be surprised if someone didn't take a chance, I'm still thinking the Pats- good luck covering a running Vick and Moss deep.

Vick on the Pats would be a terrible thing. One could only hope it would completely destroy their team chemistry and cause pretty boy Brady to have an emotional breakdown. Not saying we should get him so the Pats don't, but it would just be bad.

I am thinking that maybe the dolphins should get away from the wildcat because teams will be geared up to stop us. there is a college team that will be running a wildcat with a tightend throwing the ball oklahoma state is contemplating the use of two fullbacks 2 te's and 1 wr.

Tulsa's been using it for a while. Why do you think we picked up Brennan Marion?

If you work deep to short, like Fisher suggests, doesnt that open up your possibilities to dink and dunk them to death?
Anyways, thanx for the credit, Clayton
C3PO-1.jpg

the wildcat can only be covered man to man..this year...defenses wont be so run stop happy when the wildcat shows up on the field...trust me... last year..they told the defense to target the run first there was hardly a pass threat and it there was im sure theyd live with a running back passing the ball..

If you work deep to short, like Fisher suggests, doesnt that open up your possibilities to dink and dunk them to death?
Anyways, thanx for the credit, Clayton
C3PO-1.jpg

Yes, and it gives up five yards on the ground every time, guaranteed.

Baltimore stopped us cause they did what they wanted to do which was stop the run...they said f it....if we stop the run theyll have to try and throw in their only passing play...we can live with that..the wildcat last year was very predictable...this year. not so much...atleast i hope not

I think its highly in our favor to win against matchups with our new wr corp upgrades and the pat white pick up... its sickening at best

Vick on the Pats would be a terrible thing. One could only hope it would completely destroy their team chemistry and cause pretty boy Brady to have an emotional breakdown. Not saying we should get him so the Pats don't, but it would just be bad.
- I wouldn't doubt there'd be more picketers outside Landshark Stadium than Dolphins fans INside it during games.
- Plus they just drafted White in the 2nd round. What spot does Vick take? A 4th quarterback? A receivers? A running backs? He's been out of football. He's a head case. Many guys wouldn't be comfortable with him in the locker room. Many fans will hate him being on the team.
---
- Suppose he did get on the field in a Dolphins uniform. Imagine Monday Night Football with the announcers commenting on a stadium full of enemy fans booing Vick. What kind of myopic fool wants that publicity? Why would a Dolphins fan want that kind of distraction for the team? Vick would be the new 'face of the franchise' while he's here (which surely would make Driscoll cry).... It's a dumb idea to sign Vick. Get it??

- I wouldn't doubt there'd be more picketers outside Landshark Stadium than Dolphins fans INside it during games.
- Plus they just drafted White in the 2nd round. What spot does Vick take? A 4th quarterback? A receivers? A running backs? He's been out of football. He's a head case. Many guys wouldn't be comfortable with him in the locker room. Many fans will hate him being on the team.
---
- Suppose he did get on the field in a Dolphins uniform. Imagine Monday Night Football with the announcers commenting on a stadium full of enemy fans booing Vick. What kind of myopic fool wants that publicity? Why would a Dolphins fan want that kind of distraction for the team? Vick would be the new 'face of the franchise' while he's here (which surely would make Driscoll cry).... It's a dumb idea to sign Vick. Get it??

Talent usually trumps a lot of problems and headaches. But we have White, so I don't think that we go there. Someone probably will, though.

---

If Vick came in and started dominating and winning games all that baggage would suddenly disappear. I have never been a big Vick fan but that is what would happen if he came in a played well.

Back
Top Bottom