Johnny Manziel Critics | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Johnny Manziel Critics

WVDolphan

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
This is yet another example of the ridiculous ideas that come from media and other critics of Manziel. This is Mike Zimmer who actually coaches in the NFL saying things that make absolutely no sense to knock Manziel......

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...on-manziel-there-are-some-flags-that-come-up/

“We asked him all kinds of questions. … There are some flags that come up. All of the things that happened out in Los Angeles, the commercials and all that stuff; the position of quarterback in the NFL is such an important position and the reason these guys need to be a totally football-minded guy is the pressure of the position and being the face of an NFL team and doing everything right,” Zimmer said, via the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

Zimmer cited Peyton Manning and Drew Brees when talking about the kind of focus — “eats, breaths, and sleeps football” — on the game that he wants to see from a quarterback and that the team has to figure out if Manziel will put in the same kind of time.

I guess Mike Zimmer has not seen Papa Johns or Tide commercials lately. While eating, sleeping, and breathing football, both Brees and Manning find time to do plenty of TV commercials. Yet, when Manziel does it, it is a huge red flag? I dont get it.

On top of that, at the college level, the players are only allowed to practice so many hours. To suggest doing commercials makes a player not devoted to the game while citing 2 players who do commercials as an example of what is an acceptable level of devotion to him, Zimmer shows himself to be clueless. I have a hard time believing Zimmer knows what he is talking about and therefore will likely struggle as a head coach in the NFL.

But, this has been going on since Manziel won the Heisman. Everything he does is thrown out there as some kind of "red flag". Show me the crimes that Manziel has committed and I might think there is an issue. Show me where Manziel abuses drugs on the Ryan Mallett level. Show me where Manziel shows himself to give up on the field or go Suh on someone because he is losing. No one can because it never happened. All Manziel did was go to a few frat parties, let people on twitter know he believes he is great, and brag a little on the field. Big deal. While he did all of that he showed himself to be a great competitor, leader, and winner. He did that while displaying incredible talent.

Here we have a guy who the great Nick Saban called "one of the greatest and most fierce competitors I ever saw". Yet somehow he is painted as this guy who dosent take the game seriously and has character issues. I hope all of the other teams buy into this nonsense and he is left on the board for the taking when the Dolphins select.

Some of the so called experts are on ESPN saying they wouldnt take him in the mid rounds. Merrill Hoge is on record saying he wouldnt draft him at all. :lol:

On the other hand, when Bob Griffin entered the draft, NOBODY in the media was saying any of this stuff. I was the one of the few saying I wouldnt draft him at all. There were obvious red flags about his character that Awsi pointed out on this forum, but the media painted Griffin as this perfect gentleman. Not only are these things reversed on these two players, Manziel is actually a good player whereas Bob Griffin is terrible. I wonder why it is that nobody in the media would say anything but pleasant stuff about Griffin, yet they are quick to bash Manziel? :ponder:

All I know is that there are going to be some teams kicking themselves in the near future for passing on Manziel when they needed a QB in the worst way.

Difference between the way Manziel and manning and how they love football, is that you can go to any bar in NO and see a picture of manning, and all those pictures are store bought, none of them is he Actuslly in the bar.

Manziel may be competitive and love football, but he will still be party Johnny at the end of the day. A lot of coaches, just don't want any part of that.

For all you guys that are constantly fine with taking players with character concerns, imagine YOUR job and rep is on the line.

Very good chance. Unless it's a double-smoke screen, and he wants people to think he's trying to sound like he's not interested :^p

He's got a good relationship with Sumlin, I don't think he'd drag him through the mud like that. He could technically be pumping up Sumlin as a coach while also making teams think he isn't interested on his QB needy team where he needs some fortune for Johnny to slide to him.

Difference between the way Manziel and manning and how they love football, is that you can go to any bar in NO and see a picture of manning, and all those pictures are store bought, none of them is he Actuslly in the bar.

Manziel may be competitive and love football, but he will still be party Johnny at the end of the day. A lot of coaches, just don't want any part of that.

For all you guys that are constantly fine with taking players with character concerns, imagine YOUR job and rep is on the line.

Not to totally knock your point but I just got back from Memphis and there was a picture of Peyton and Eli at each bar and restaurant, of them in the bar and restaurant. Every single one.

There shouldn't be any doubt about Manziel's competitiveness. That guy wants to win and it shows.

But there are plenty of other reasons to be concerned about whether or not he'll be a successful passer in the NFL.

1) He struggles reading coverage and making decisions from inside the pocket. He also has a tendency to stare down receivers.

[video=youtube;9Fu91Eu8M8E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Fu91Eu8M8E[/video]

2) He's loose with the ball when he scrambles.

3) He makes bad decisions throwing on the run as well. I wish that I had counted the number of times that he just threw the ball up unto a crowd and someone (usually Mike Evans) came down with it.

All that being said, there are still a lot of things to like about Manziel. I think he's shown the ability to make great touch passes. He has above average arm strength. And his competitiveness is second to none.

So while I have Manziel rated lower than most, I certainly wouldn't knock him for making commercials and going to parties.

They'll be wrong. Let them be wrong. The more decisions you make the greater likelihood of flubbing the bottom line.

Robert Griffin really didn't surface nationwide in a big way until late in his senior year. For some reason nobody bothered to backtrack. I wasn't the only one howling about his character issues. There were several posters on the major college football forums doing the same, notably the fans of Oklahoma State after Griffin whined throughout that first half while Baylor was trampled at Stillwater. That game preceded the fame.

I remembered similar examples from every season of his career. I bet so many games you get to know the principals, often for ease of cursing them by name.

Greatness finds a way. That's my amusement with all the knocks on Manziel's playing style. Do you really want to be among that crowd, the ones who think he'll fade to mediocrity or worse simply because the NFL is more pocket oriented? Scary. Absolutely scary. There's a guy with all this early demonstrated talent, good enough to shred Alabama twice, and you are relying on an adjustment and little else. Good luck with that. Manziel drops back, scans the field, and suddenly the adjusters are terrified. Wait a minute. He completed a dart from the pocket. And he didn't act surprised or winded or even slightly impressed with himself. How can that happen? What about my cynical adjustment? The freak talents have no trouble adapting. Secretariat preferred to stretch run but when the Preakness unfolded with need to go to the front, he looped the field early and said goodbye.

The same crowd who want to pretend a moderate talent merely needs more time are generally the ones who happily downgrade the genius types.

When Manziel became prominent midway through the 2012 season, I did some research and found the high school article in which he emphasized that he was determined to be a good person off the field. I posted that link here last fall. As always, I place highest value on early indications, not last second cramming for tests. I believe Manziel will live up to that promise. Admittedly, it's somewhat of a leap of faith. I trust my judgment. Even when Robert Griffin starred early as a Redskin I knew the long established character problems had to surface. Not to mention the complete inability to sense pressure, and therefore vulnerable to leg injuries galore. Can anyone with a straight face imagine Robert Griffin executing the dip and dodge maneuver that Manziel pulled off against Duke?

I just don't agree with that at all.

Johnny Manziel can talk a big game about being a diligent worker and living/breathing the game, but when it comes time to show up to the most prestigious passing camp in existence for an experience most quarterbacks would kill to be invited to, he shows up drunk/hungover and gets kicked out of it. That's his commitment level.

And there's a lot more sh-t under the surface down there at College Station that people haven't heard of. And he knows it. And he knows that the scouts know it. That's why he has to continue to talk a big game about how college was college and NOW it's time to get serious. He said that, not me. That was his message, carefully crafted, at the NFL Combine.

Except it doesn't work like that. You don't develop a work ethic overnight. You don't just flip the on switch and suddenly you're a professional. That's something you have to have been working at for years, tediously attempting to perfect. Being a professional is like any other skill. It's like any other trade. You have to work at it. The weak ones say well NOW I'm going to do it. No big. I wasn't doing it before but now it counts.

Yes the man is going to have to change his game in order to play in the NFL. Not because the game demands quarterbacks stay in the pocket and everyone be Tom Brady. Not at all. He's going to have to change because *he* can't play that way, because of *his* shortcomings. He's tiny, his body has ALREADY taken on punishment and a bunch of injuries, and that's only going to get worse when the bodies get bigger and more explosive and the hits can knock you unconscious to where you wake up playing baseball. He's got an average arm. He's got average accuracy. He's got 4.6 speed, and that was something I could have and did in fact tell people BEFORE he ran in Indianapolis even back when he was telling people he hadn't run a 40 yard dash in like 3 or 4 years.

Maybe he can find a way to adapt. It wouldn't shock me. I don't have him on the "do not draft" list. But I don't have him with the same grade I put on Russell Wilson either (mid to high 2nd round). I don't think it's a great bet asking players with his off field character issues to adapt and accept change with the type of aplomb of an NFL quarterback.

I never understood the hype. He seems very self centered, spoiled little brat. A diva if you ask me.

I just don't agree with that at all.

Johnny Manziel can talk a big game about being a diligent worker and living/breathing the game, but when it comes time to show up to the most prestigious passing camp in existence for an experience most quarterbacks would kill to be invited to, he shows up drunk/hungover and gets kicked out of it. That's his commitment level.

And there's a lot more sh-t under the surface down there at College Station that people haven't heard of. And he knows it. And he knows that the scouts know it. That's why he has to continue to talk a big game about how college was college and NOW it's time to get serious. He said that, not me. That was his message, carefully crafted, at the NFL Combine.

Except it doesn't work like that. You don't develop a work ethic overnight. You don't just flip the on switch and suddenly you're a professional. That's something you have to have been working at for years, tediously attempting to perfect. Being a professional is like any other skill. It's like any other trade. You have to work at it. The weak ones say well NOW I'm going to do it. No big. I wasn't doing it before but now it counts.

Yes the man is going to have to change his game in order to play in the NFL. Not because the game demands quarterbacks stay in the pocket and everyone be Tom Brady. Not at all. He's going to have to change because *he* can't play that way, because of *his* shortcomings. He's tiny, his body has ALREADY taken on punishment and a bunch of injuries, and that's only going to get worse when the bodies get bigger and more explosive and the hits can knock you unconscious to where you wake up playing baseball. He's got an average arm. He's got average accuracy. He's got 4.6 speed, and that was something I could have and did in fact tell people BEFORE he ran in Indianapolis even back when he was telling people he hadn't run a 40 yard dash in like 3 or 4 years.

Maybe he can find a way to adapt. It wouldn't shock me. I don't have him on the "do not draft" list. But I don't have him with the same grade I put on Russell Wilson either (mid to high 2nd round). I don't think it's a great bet asking players with his off field character issues to adapt and accept change with the type of aplomb of an NFL quarterback.

You lost me at average accuracy.

For the level of prospect we're talking about. His percentage of overthrows/underthrows/wide throws is a lot higher than the other prospects up at the top, I believe.

That's fair enough. I don't see it that way. I saw a guy who consistently put the ball in the perfect spot on difficult throws. At the next level, he has to learn to take the easy throw more often, but I think it's easier to teach that than it is to teach someone to throw the ball down the field. I can't say these statistics are 100% correct, but they match what I've seen, and according to them, Manziel completed 73.5% of his passes from inside the pocket (best of all AQ QB's) for a YPA of 9.7. Keeping in mind that he rarely had the threat of a running game - given the horrible D that he played with (which allowed 2,890 rushing yards - over 200 yards 9 times and over 300 yards twice) - and that he played in the SEC, it's even more impressive.

For my money, his accuracy beyond 10 yards is about as good as it gets - easily the best of the QB's in this draft.

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/86640/gruden-qb-camp-johnny-manziel

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/45952/349/2014s-quarterback-conundrum?pg=1

Back
Top Bottom