Jonathan Martin has come a long way since pre-season

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Tiko377, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Tiko377

Tiko377 A True Fan

I honestly didnt think he would be this solid 5 weeks through the season with all those pre-season issues i am pretty excited for the future of this team seems like the first 2 picks of last years draft have been major home runs imo.

2. EvilDylan

EvilDylan A True Fan Donator

Speaking of the unexpected success of the right side of the line. How about some props to John Jerry. That guy went from near bust status to a decent lineman in one year. Lets hope these guys keep their fire and continue to improve.

3. Wishfishin

Wishfishin Waterboy

Like what I see.

4. oasis

oasis Lost in the fog

Ireland got it right this draft. You take the QB in the FIRST ROUND and the OT in the SECOND.

5. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

Move Martin to LT next season and let Long walk if Long wants too much money.

6. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

thats not gonna happen. Philbin keeps people around that fit the makeup. What in your opinion thinks Long doesnt fit the makeup. Issue will not be money and dont be surprised to see Long take less money than the first deal for the sake of the team. It still would be a ton of millions but the dude wont want to leave after picking up this coach and QB.

7. SB2010

SB2010 Member

i believe there are certain coaches that can get the most out of players and Philbin may be one of those coaches. Seems like most players on this team have stepped it up a notch.

8. ojmcduffy

ojmcduffy Seasoned Veteran

It just took martin a few games to adjust to the nfl. It's alot different blocking a 20 year old kid than it is blocking a nfl de. He's coming along very well.

9. jlfin

jlfin old pro

Why would Martin (or his agent) want to stay at RT when he has the ability to be a very good LT? His future earning potential is being impeded by his switch to RT. At some point in the next 2-3 yrs the phins have to make a big decision. Its not that difficult to find good RT

10. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

Because it's always about the money and it's always an issue. Jake Long doesn't seem like he'll ever be 100% again so it only makes sense for him to try and get as much as he can in what will probably be his last long term deal.

11. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

How on earth do you know what his long term fitness will be like? Long is a number 1 draft pick, is the leader of this offense, is one of the most respected players in the NFL and there isnt even a chance that he will leave the Dolphins.

12. steviey013

steviey013 A True Fan

The thing wiith Martin is you almost never hear his name called...which is a damn good thing when you're an O-Lineman! By the way, I think Dolphin fans who bash Jake Long should be drawn and quartered.

13. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

Really? No chance he leaves? I'm telling you money changes all that stuff you mentioned. I will not be shocked if Jake Long is on another team next season with a fat contract.

14. WVDolphan

WVDolphan A True Fan

Looks like he is ready to play LT next season.

15. biggfish72

biggfish72 Starter

J Jerry & J Martin have done a nices job on that right side,as for Jake L. not going anywhere his an high character guy, a natural leader on the O line,U don't get rid of players like those..THIS HOW U WIN IN THIS LEAGUE

16. KTOWNFINFAN

KTOWNFINFAN Seasoned Veteran

Well I guess this is as good a time as any to admit I was 100% wrong about Martin. I watched him ALOT in college and swore up and down that he would be at least a year on the bench. MAN was I wrong. He has played REALLY well, and now with the solid play Jerry, teams have no idea where we are going to run. Last year we always ran left behind Rich and Jake, but this year we can run to either side and we don't have to worry about Columbo diving out of the way to give the DE a free run at the QB. Our OL is playing as good as any OL in the NFL right now. They are turning into a strength of the team. Cudos!!!

17. Dfan06

Dfan06 Seasoned Veteran

Yeah! lets get rid of Jake Long and hope Martin can be a great RT and create more holes!(sarcasm).

18. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

Actually our rush numbers are quite interesting
    Right End......3.28 yards per rush #21/32 in the NFL
    Right Tackle..3.15 ypr #25
    GCG MIDDLE..4.52 ypr #7
    Left Tackle...4.28 ypr #11
    Left End.......4.19 ypr #15

Martin still has the bulk up and get stronger if he continues at right tackle...3.15 isn't going to cut it
    but it is a huge improvement over Colombo who was 31st with 2.62 yards per rush

In 2010 we were 15th(4.14 ypr) and 7th(4.61 ypr) running behind right tackle and right end

19. bassjk13

bassjk13 Scout Team

How about Jim Turner just being a BAMF and coaching these guys like they should have been. It's remarkable to me how much better this oline is under his coaching

20. Geordie

Geordie A True Fan

The fact that everyone is not talking about him is great news, he's doing his job right, right now. No more "false start #71 offense" or "Holding #71 offense" calls, like there were in pre season.

I think we got first round talent in the 2nd round here, great value pick.

21. BC26

BC26 Active Member

Martin gives us options in the Long contract negotiations. We can draft a decent right tackle in round #3 and save a lot of money in the process.

22. BenchFiedler

BenchFiedler Undrafted Pro-Bowler

Then the strenght of this team will become the weakest link... Jake long as we learned from R. Bush as a high football IQ as well besides being a beast..

23. DphinBillkiller

DphinBillkiller Touchdown

Nice seeing the big guy living up to his potential.

24. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

Martin has certainly improved. Can't wait to see what another off season and another training camp under his belt could do in terms of taking another step forward in his improvement. He's becoming more and more acclimated to the NFL game and is smart enough to make more adjustments as the season goes on. I like how he approaches the game.

25. ANUFan

ANUFan A True Fan Donator

Remember how many people on this very site wanted to fire the entire FO based on his performance in preseason? Debbies, every last one of them!

26. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod The Oracle

27. iambanned

iambanned A True Fan

Martin is supposed to fit the mold on the kind of OL the Dolphins want based on the kind of plays we wanna run. We may run left but with him pulling in that direction so that 'yards right or yards left' thing could be a deceiving stat. I don't think any OL wins regularly on straight man-on-man blocking that often, which is why athleticism is so important for motion-runs.

28. SCOTTY

SCOTTY Well-Known Member

Love it. I knew this guy was going to be solid. Said it when we drafted him, huge steal. This guy was first round talent. He will secure a spot on our line for years to come. Funniest part is how quite all the Martin basher got...and real fast.