Jonathan Martin Is Not An NFL Starting Caliber OT | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jonathan Martin Is Not An NFL Starting Caliber OT

He had a bad year but started to pick up towards the end. You don't throw in the towel after his rookie season.

Even if what you say about Martin is true, does he represent better value for the Dolphins than paying Long $10+ million a year? I did not notice much of a drop off in overall production when Martin came in.
You can't judge Jake Long fully on what you saw last season. Jake has looked hurt the past 2 years and that IMO is a bigger reason not to commit long term to him. He definitely is a top tier tackle when he is fully healthy. The ZBS is less about having a dominant LT and more about the OLine working as a group. It requires good feet, which Jake does have, but he fits best as a smash mouth type of OT, which we don't necessarily run down here. You hate to lose your #1 overall pick after the rookie contract, but Miami's focus needs to be getting weapons for Ryan Tannehill and continue retooling this defense so that it can create more turnovers. I don't think Jake wanting 10 million plus is a great move for the Fins and losing him and not being able to replace him certainly shouldn't pressure me to make that type of commitment to him.

I was going to insult you by saying he has a better chance of becoming an NFL Caliber OT then you do at becoming an Allstar Poster but I decided to take the high road and not insult anyone.
Chubbs

That's very admirable of you, Chubby. It takes a big man not to take advantage of such an easy opportunity to insult such a horrible post.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/02/04/rookie-recap-afc-east/

and he may very well never be one.

Sorry, but this just plain fact. Not only did he grade out poorly he actually led the league in QB hurries given up.

There is a good chance that he will be a total bust.

People on this sight need to get in touch with reality and stop penciling him in as a reliable starter.

It is far more likely the Dolphins need starters at both tackle positions because Jerry isn't the answer at OT and Garner is worse than Martin on the outside.

People should stop thinking the Dolphins are going to spend 20 mil in cap on WR's and use the #12 pick on WR's as well.

Is there anybody out there in touch with reality who has an answer for the 2013 Dolphins OT positions???????????

Get outta here with this crap after one rookie season... gtfo.

[h=2]fact[/h] /fækt/ Show Spelled [fakt] Show IPA noun 1. something that actually exists; reality; truth: Your fears have no basis in fact.

2. something known to exist or to have happened: Space travel is now a fact.

3. a truth known by actual experience or observation; something known to be true: Scientists gather facts about plant growth.

4. something said to be true or supposed to have happened: The facts given by the witness are highly questionable.

5. Law. . Often, facts. an actual or alleged event or circumstance, as distinguished from its legal effect or consequence. Compare question of fact, question of law.

[h=2]o·pin·ion[/h] /əˈpɪn
thinsp-1.png
yən/ Show Spelled [uh-pin-yuh
thinsp-1.png
thinsp-1.png
n] Show IPA noun 1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.

2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

3. the formal expression of a professional judgment: to ask for a second medical opinion.

4. Law. the formal statement by a judge or court of the reasoning and the principles of law used in reaching a decision of a case.

5. a judgment or estimate of a person or thing with respect to character, merit, etc.: to forfeit someone's good opinion.

I don't believe we keep Jake Long, unless he really signs less of a deal to prove his health to the Dolphins and other teams. I also wouldn't sleep on the progress of Will Yeatman. He was very solid blocking TE that has gained the weight and has been practicing behind the scenes fully as a OT and actually was kept over a couple of full fledged tackles last preseason.
it takes talent and determination, I'd definately give credit to Yeatman as far as determination goes.

Luckily for the rest of us fans, this staff subscribes to the notion of developing talent, instead or constantly turning the roster over due to some struggles in a rookie year.

I don't believe we keep Jake Long, unless he really signs less of a deal to prove his health to the Dolphins and other teams. I also wouldn't sleep on the progress of Will Yeatman. He was very solid blocking TE that has gained the weight and has been practicing behind the scenes fully as a OT and actually was kept over a couple of full fledged tackles last preseason.

You are right, If Long is not resigned I think the most probable scenario is Martin at LT and Yeatman at RT.

The kid needs more time. You want to make this case in a year or two, then go for it. Not in his rookie year where he was forced to play two different positions. Hard enough to settle into one role, much less two.

You are right, If Long is not resigned I think the most probable scenario is Martin at LT and Yeatman at RT.

I mean only the staff knows how he is developing, but I think ideally as a fan you would hope that is the scenario going forward . . . because that more than likely means he developed quite nicely. We have thrown money and picks at this line since the Parcells regime has come in . . . it would be good to get a little lucky at OT with a guy like Yeatman who we plucked from the Pats.

I think Martin's pay was pretty bad his rookie year, but I'll give him a pass because he's a rookie. He probably wouldn't have started for most teams at LT or RT. 40+ QB hurries is unacceptable. If he still plays like crap next year, then I'd be worried, but right now he gets a pass.

The reality is that he's a damn rookie! Can we at least give him another season before we make such claims? I can't wait until he DOES become our starting OT and proves all this wrong.

Back
Top Bottom