Josh Allen: The Only Plausible First Round QB Option for Miami | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Josh Allen: The Only Plausible First Round QB Option for Miami

Aqua4Ever04

Active Roster
Reaction score
I wrote a column talking about the impact Josh Allen could potentially have on whatever club he goes to. Whether you think Tannehill is the 10th best QB, 20th best QB, or somewhere in between, the issue most have is that they want an ELITE QB.

There is one QB in this class that oozes elite potential, and it's Josh Allen. GIFs and details inside.

https://www.lockedondolphins.com/joshallen-miami/

2017 was a challenge from a box score perspective. Wyoming employs a pro-style scheme that is a progression based offense. Early on, Allen struggled to find his footing with his new cast of targets. A lack of separation, poor pass protection, and the fact that Wyoming runs fewer “extensions-of-the-running-game” (screens), than just about any team in college football, contributed to a 56% completion percentage.

I have no idea who the kid is and honestly haven't watched any of his games. If he's as good as you're indicating then it seems like a no brainer. If the Dolphins are reasonably within reach of grabbing the kid then they have to pull the trigger.

No other position puts you into contention faster than upgrading the QB position.

I have no idea who the kid is and honestly haven't watched any of his games. If he's as good as you're indicating then it seems like a no brainer. If the Dolphins are reasonably within reach of grabbing the kid then they have to pull the trigger.

No other position puts you into contention faster than upgrading the QB position.

Jesus man, where the hell have YOU been? Good to see you!

If I'm taking a 1st round QB I want potential to match up with college production. Especially for a team that has a QB and many other needs. I've been reading about him at SB practices and the MO seems to be the same. One amazing throw followed by a head-scratcher.

If he struggled because of poor receivers and poor pass pro what's he gonna look like on a team with this line and a WR unit minus Jarvis Landry?

I think trading down and taking and taking Lamar Jackson sounds so much more fun.

if the excuse is that he lost his top 3 WRs, C and 1800yd RB in 2017, how does he explain a 56% completion percentage and almost triple the INT's with all of those players in 2016?

if the excuse is that he lost his top 3 WRs, C and 1800yd RB in 2017, how does he explain a 56% completion percentage and almost triple the INT's with all of those players in 2016?

First year starting in the FBS, for one thing.

Let me flip this around on you though, if this guy wasn't worth a damn that year, how come he had so much ludicrous tape:

2016 Josh Allen TD throw vs San Diego State
2016 Josh Allen TD throw vs Nebraska (note the down, distance, clock, quarter, scoreboard)
2016 Josh Allen TD throw vs UC Davis
2016 Josh Allen TD throw vs Boise State (note the down, distance, clock, quarter, scoreboard)
2016 Josh Allen TD throw vs Utah State
2016 Josh Allen TD throw vs UNLV (note the down, distance, clock, quarter, and scoreboard)
2016 Josh Allen TD throw vs San Diego State (note the down, distance, clock, quarter, and scoreboard)
2016 Josh Allen TD throw vs BYU (note the down, distance, clock, quarter, and scoreboard)

Notice how often those big time, game-changing throws came in critical situations during the game.

This is a team that has had absolutely no business winning 16 games the last two years. Anyone who has paid attention to Wyoming over that span knows that.

With Josh Allen, as I've said a dozen times, this isn't about just good size or just a good arm. I've seen so many big guys with great arm strength come through that could not make even two or three of those types of plays in an entire season. You have to have great feet, elusiveness, strength, vision, confidence, and accuracy to make plays like that.

Boiling it down to just being big with a big arm is like watching LeBron James play and saying oh he's just big and can jump real high that's all.

Played mediocre teams in college . Not to sold on him. No need to doubt Tannehill out yet. 1st round pick on a QB is a luxury pick and we can't to luxury with Landry on the way out and a ton of holes.. Not happening

Played mediocre teams in college . Not to sold on him. No need to doubt Tannehill out yet. 1st round pick on a QB is a luxury pick and we can't to luxury with Landry on the way out and a ton of holes.. Not happening

QB is the one position where you make it happen it the draft. I have no problem with drafting a low risk stud like Quenton Nelson at #11- great player, need position, works for me. But I also don't mind a gamble on greatness at #11, and Josh Allen is surely that. If the FO, with the backing of Dan Marino whose opinion on QB's I trust more than the Fins scouts, Bobby Grier and especially Mike Tannenbaum, has bought into Josh Allen then I say go get him.

But they'd better be right- of the many possible examples and comps, what went wrong with Paxton Lynch? But when I look at Allen's tape what I actually see is a young Ben Roethlisberger- huge QB, cannon arm, has escapability in the pocket and they're both dangerous when plays break down, creative and productive when flushed out of the pocket. At the end of the day all that matters if Josh Allen has "It" or not. As with Dan Marino's senior year, Allen's team was weak and plagued with problems last year- I certainly think that effected his performance. Marino fell to #27 in 1983- if he came out after his junior year how high do you think that he would have been drafted? Josh Allen has all the talent and measurables in the world, and he's a playmaker. I say go for it, the risk is worth taking.

Last edited:

Triple the INTS? He went from 15 to 6...

And he's the only QB of the big ones that doesn't throw bubble screens 10 times a game.

Played mediocre teams with a TERRIBLE team that he was on himself. They were awful.

Isolate the player.

First year starting in the FBS, for one thing.

Let me flip this around on you though, if this guy wasn't worth a damn that year, how come he had so much ludicrous tape:

2016 Josh Allen TD throw vs San Diego State
2016 Josh Allen TD throw vs Nebraska (note the down, distance, clock, quarter, scoreboard)
2016 Josh Allen TD throw vs Boise State (note the down, distance, clock, quarter, scoreboard)
2016 Josh Allen TD throw vs UNLV (note the down, distance, clock, quarter, and scoreboard)
2016 Josh Allen TD throw vs San Diego State (note the down, distance, clock, quarter, and scoreboard)
2016 Josh Allen TD throw vs BYU (note the down, distance, clock, quarter, and scoreboard)

Notice how often those big time, game-changing throws came in critical situations during the game.

This is a team that has had absolutely no business winning 16 games the last two years. Anyone who has paid attention to Wyoming over that span knows that.

With Josh Allen, as I've said a dozen times, this isn't about just good size or just a good arm. I've seen so many big guys with great arm strength come through that could not make even two or three of those types of plays in an entire season. You have to have great feet, elusiveness, strength, vision, confidence, and accuracy to make plays like that.

Boiling it down to just being big with a big arm is like watching LeBron James play and saying oh he's just big and can jump real high that's all.
So I shouldn't worry about his accuracy? I saw this morning he was struggling yesterday with it

Triple the INTS? He went from 15 to 6...

And he's the only QB of the big ones that doesn't throw bubble screens 10 times a game.
I meant he had almost triple in 2016 with all the players that supposedly caused the struggles this year by leaving.

So I shouldn't worry about his accuracy? I saw this morning he was struggling yesterday with it

You can worry about whatever you want to worry about. I worry about his footwork which has led to some accuracy issues.

The amount of scrutiny that is applied to Senior Bowl practice reports is ridiculous. These are All Star practices. Everyone's working with new receivers, new playbooks, odd situations, etc. The practices can be valuable to the discerning eye. They can be breathtakingly misleading to people on message boards playing the game of telephone, reading reports from onlookers who may, or may not actually have even been paying much attention to the player in practice, let alone know what they're seeing.

Back
Top Bottom