Josh Kaddu told to gain 10 pounds; will be tried out as a pass rusher in camp | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Josh Kaddu told to gain 10 pounds; will be tried out as a pass rusher in camp

TheWalrus

1/7/14
Reaction score
Hidden in a bunch of crap in an Armando article was this interesting tidbit:

The club is also pleasantly surprised and excited about what Josh Kaddu might be able to do as a pass-rusher. Although Kaddu was a rookie linebacker last season and played in only four games, almost exclusively on special teams, he was apparently very active as a pass-rusher in practice.

Very active in practice can be defined as Miami’s tackles had trouble with the kid.

So the Dolphins have asked the 242-pounder to gain 10 pounds of muscle this offseason and count on getting the opportunity to earn snaps as a pass-rusher in the fall.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/03/19/v-fullstory/3295745/armando-salguero-more-free-agents.html

Kaddu is a full 6'3, has 33 and 3/8th inch arms and posted bests of 34 inches in the vertical and 10'03" in the broad jump but was limited through the whole lead up to the draft with hamstring injuries. I'll leave others who looked at his tape to chime more in on this (my impression of him from the preseason was that he was sort of stiff and staightlineish, but with some explosiveness), but here's a scouting report from last year:

Pro Football Weekly said:
Last name is pronounced “kah-DOO.” Also played basketball and ran track as a California prep. Redshirt was pulled midway through 2008 and was credited with five tackles without any for loss or sacks. Managed 21-4-1 with one forced fumble in seven games (one start at “Sam”) before suffering a season-ending broken right foot against Washington. After sitting out ’10 spring practice, was cited for being a minor in possession of alcohol in early March 2010. In the fall, started all 13 games at the “Sam” LB spot and produced 32-6 1⁄2-2 1⁄2 with two pass breakups. Notched 50-9 1⁄2-6 1⁄2 with two pass breakups in 14 starts at the “Sam” linebacker in ’11. One of 16 OU “squad leaders.” Medically excluded from the Combine workout with a left hamstring injury.

Positives: Excellent size and length (long arms) with an athletic build. Fluid movement skills. Good range, pursuit effort and closing speed. Aggressive tackler. Flash striker. Has pass-rush potential. Has special-teams experience and mentality. Football smart. Solid personal and football character. Good work ethic. Has some upside.
Negatives: Relatively slender, high-hipped and leggy — needs to continue filling out his narrow frame. Is not stout at the point of attack — lacks take-on strength, plays too tall and can be run at. Does not play strong-handed to disengage. Average read-and-react skills — still developing his instincts. Can be exploited in the pass game — limited zone awareness (untrained eyes) and too often loses positioning in man coverage.
Summary: Longer than he is strong, Kaddu is a lean, athletic, still-developing strong-side linebacker who feasts on clear-path and pursuit production. Needs to hone his instincts and mature physically in order to reach his potential but should help on special teams. Views himself as a 3-4 rush linebacker.

you can never have enough pass rushers.... go for it

242 isn't enough? Well, hope he can get on the field more next year.

Cameron Wake goes about 250 pounds, maybe a bit more (after coming out of the draft at 235 pounds or so). You can't be a complete target against the run, even as a nickel rush guy. Bruce Irvin came in to the league at 245 or so pounds and will continue to fill out. It's not like Kaddu is particularly rocked up or anything:

106632231_display_image-1.jpg

Also, I forgot to mention Kaddu had 6.5 sacks as a senior. Having not really watched any of his tape I can't speak to his pass rushing and whether that number is good, bad or mediocre considering his role. Good cut ups aren't particularly available of him on youtube, but if anyone finds any please post them.

Cameron Wake goes about 250 pounds, maybe a bit more (after coming out of the draft at 235 pounds or so). You can't be a complete target against the run, even as a nickel rush guy. Bruce Irvin came in to the league at 245 or so pounds and will continue to fill out. It's not like Kaddu is particularly rocked up or anything:

106632231_display_image-1.jpg

Also, I forgot to mention Kaddu had 6.5 sacks as a senior. Having not really watched any of his tape I can't speak to his pass rushing and whether that number is good, bad or mediocre considering his role. Good cut ups aren't particularly available of him on youtube, but if anyone finds any please post them.
They list Cam Wake at 258 and I believe it. I'm 235 at 6'3 and I had first row seats for Buffalo game last year.. he looks easily 20lbs heavier than me. I think Irvin's technique against the run is pretty bad aside from his size. He doesn't get inside hand position and could afford to lower his pads...especially at 245lbs...

good work tho Walrus, had no idea that he had 6.5 sacks his senior year.... That is more than Mingo and Ansah had last year................

tell him to drink a gallon of milk a day for about a month. He will gain solid weight (7-20 lbs) and will burn the fat he gained from it by the end of Mini Camp

Meh. Somebody to keep an eye on, I guess. :idk:

Good find.

When they asked philbin at the end of the season which rook roué was most excited about he said kaddu.

Kaddu came from that Oregon system where they stress speed, so it's not surprising he needed to bulk up. He has really good closing speed, and is very agile. Definitely a player I'm excited to see more of.

I always hate when people discuss players that combine is near top of any discussion. Combine creates so many busted picks. Nothing to do with Kaddu really but you either like what you see on tape or not.

They list Cam Wake at 258 and I believe it. I'm 235 at 6'3 and I had first row seats for Buffalo game last year.. he looks easily 20lbs heavier than me. I think Irvin's technique against the run is pretty bad aside from his size. He doesn't get inside hand position and could afford to lower his pads...especially at 245lbs...

No offense to you, but you probably shouldn't be estimating Cameron Wake's weight by comparing his bulk to yours unless you're a professional body builder or something. Which perhaps you are.

Bruce Irvin is not a good run defender, I agree. I tend to doubt he ever will be one, but he at least has some weight to him (not bulk, though) and enough fight and quickness so he doesn't get pancaked every time he's run at. If I were the Seahawks, though, I'd think twice before trying to bulk him up enough to be an every down player. He's another Fred Dean, the spectacular if somewhat forgotten prototype for today's nickel rusher, who began his career with San Diego before helping the 49ers win at least one Super Bowl (he sacked Marino at least once in the '84 game). He rode that role to a recent Hall of Fame induction. Irvin is the same kind of player, and that's all he should be. I was really hoping he would make it to our 2nd last year but cest la vie.

I agree with Bumpus in that my main reaction to this nugget is to shrug my shoulders and say "okay, we'll see what comes from that." These position switches usually don't work. As Awsi Dooger might say, people who become great at something generally don't start doing that thing this late in their athletic careers. I certainly doubt the Dolphins consider his position switch as anything that's going to alter their draft or free agency plans one iota. If he shows promise (meaning, he clearly out performs Olivier Vernon) he'll make the team and some free agent will be a surprise cut, like Westerman last year. If he doesn't then he'll probably get cut, given I expect us to add another DE by free agency, trade or the draft (and we shouldn't forget about Derrick Shelby, who made the team as an UDFA and arguably out performed Vernon at DE).

It's one of those positions where we have a lot of people which means we have no one. Every one of the guys auditioning for the role opposite Wake (I expect Odrick to be kicked inside) is absolutely fighting for their professional lives. Vernon gets the early nod to be safe given his draft position (and special teams prowess), but even he's not guaranteed anything.

Back
Top Bottom