Juice's Annual Dolphins Off Season and Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by juicifer1269, Feb 18, 2013.

1. juicifer1269

juicifer1269 Starter

With 5 picks in the top 100 in this years draft and over $40 million to spend in free agency, this is an important off-season for the Dolphins as it will shape the team for the next 5+ years. This would be my ideal off-season and draft.

First off, I think the Dolphins should use the franchise tag on Jake Long. The cap hit for franchising Long is $9.6 million. This would give the Dolphins 1 year to groom a rookie tackle for a year, or if Long stays healthy and reverts back to anything near his previous all-pro form, the Dolphins can give him an extension next off-season. I would try to re-sign Hartline foe 3 years @ $15 Million. If Hartline wants more than that, I would let him walk. I think the most important free agent is safety Chris Clemons. Re-sign Clemons for 4 years @ $16 million.
    I would let the other free agents go. I think Sean Smith will cost too much for his production. I would consider re-signing Randy Starks if the price was low enough, but I like the idea of moving Jared Odrick back inside to DT. All other free agents are replaceable.
    Free Agents

WR Mike Wallace 5 years/$45 million with $24 million guaranteed
    TE Fred Davis 3 years/$12 million
    OG Andy Levitre 5 years/$35 million
    LB Dannell Ellerbe 3 years/$15
    QB Troy Smith 2 years/$6 million
    CB Leodis McKelvin 3 years/$12 million
    Draft

1. DE Dion Jordan- Oregon
    Demontre Moore is my favorite DE in the draft but I doubt he falls to #12. Jarvis Jones from Georgia is a similar alternative to Jordon here. If Miliner somehow drops here, I take him and address pass rush on day 2. Until very recently, I've wanted to take a WR here, but I think there is so much depth that we can look at 1 or more on day 2.

2A. CB Jordan Poyer- Oregon State

2B. WR Terrence William- Baylor

3A. DT Benny Logan- LSU

3B. OT/OG Dallas Thomas- Tennessee

4. WR Kenny Stills- Oklahoma

5. RB Marcus Lattimore- South Carolina

7. DT Corey Grissom- South Florida

7. S JJ Wilcox- GA Southern

Let me know what you think.

2. vafin72

vafin72 Scout Team

Why do you say the cap hit on Long is $9.6 M while other say as much as $15M? Can anybody confirm what the actual cap hit would be for tagging Long???

3. dolfin530

dolfin530 Student of the Game

4. peakz

peakz Member

Isn't the cap rule the average of the top 5 at the position OR 10% increase on last years salary?
    I might be wrong as I'm not sure what Long was earning per year but I think it must have been more than 9.6 so that's why I would imagine it would be up to 15m.

5. AccordOn13z

AccordOn13z 2014 "I Win" Champion.

I love the poyer pick. I think he's going to be amazing.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

6. Mr Poste

Mr Poste Sur XIII

Few more weeks and the picture becomes a little clearer.

7. NY8123

NY8123 Sophisticated Redneck Administrator Finheaven VIP

If you tag Long he will receive 120% of his current salary which would equal 15.3m in 2013 if he was tagged.

8. 2413fanphins

2413fanphins A True Fan

I was under the impression that the cap "hit", is different than what the actual salary number is. I thought i read somewhere that it is 80% of the salarys number.

but that would put the cap hit at $12 million on a $15 million dollar salary... I'd say go to the salary cap forum, and look for info there... it's usually spot on.

9. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

confused with Danell Elerbree for 5 million a year... did you leave out cutting Dansby or Burnett??? Also Redskins trying very hard to sign Fred Davis

10. MrEd

MrEd A True Fan

The Franchise Tag for Clady is $9.6 because he made "less" than Long did last year. So Clady's falls umder the (top 5 LTsin the league last year number). Long made like $12mil, so he falls under the 120% number. Long's tag number would be $15.3mil. It's best to give him the $10mil he's asking for. But I believe we can work out a $9.5mil and he stays. Just guarantee a big portion and he'll sign.