Just my thoughts on the upcoming off-season | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Just my thoughts on the upcoming off-season

23EmilioVasquez

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
As our season came to an end today I thought I should sit down and look at what our options are for this off-season. I am not an expert and will not sit here and act like I believe I have all the answers to fix this team. I am just talking about thing I would like to see happen. I will not list any crazy trades or ridiculous free-agent signings.

Re-signing our own

In my opinion we have four key free agents this year and yet none of them had what you would call an elite season.

Randy Starks (MIA) - DT - Starks has played everywhere from DE to NT for the Dolphins effectively over the past few seasons keeping our run-stopping base of Starks and Paul Soliai together is very important. Of our four big name free agents he has been the most consistent. Therefore I think he is most deserving of a contract extension. I am confident if Starks is allowed to Walk Odrick will slide into his spot and we will look to find more of a pass rusher at DE opposite of Wake. I want to resign Starks stillbut if not able to I think the best thing we can do is franchise tag him and trade him for whatever we can get and keeping him out of the AFC East.

Reggie Bush (MIA) Bush is the best offensive weapon for the Dolphins as a runner that has now shown the capabilities of runningbetween the tackles and adding tremendous value as an outlet out of the backfield. Re-Signing our best Offensive Weapon on our teamis pretty good idea. I don't believe he will be that expensive so resigning him should not be to difficult.

Jake Long (MIA) - OT - Long's situation is a bit more complex. He has not played at the same level the last couple seasons as he did when he just got started he hasn't even been able to complete the last couple of seasons. Watching the game today vs the Patriots one thing is clear and thats that J.Martin is not a LT. I would like to re-sing Long to a fair contract. Im not willing to make him the highest paid LTbut top ten money is fair. He is also a canadit for franchise tag and trade club. If he wants crazy money let him go find it somewhereelse while the teaming willing to give it to him gives us at least a 2nd or 3rd for him.

Sean Smith (MIA) he is the one i am willing to let taste the open market. This guy has a lot of talent but has not done anything to deservea big payday. Offer him a contract if he thinks he can get more let him try I think he will be surprised and will come back for a fair price.

Free Agents

Most try to sign one of each.

Greg Jennings (GB)WR I think he can really help but not worth big money

Mike Wallace (PIT)WR Is worth the big money but is more of a big play guy and we will still need that big target kinda guy. Someone to line up on the other side of him that can get 80+ receptions a season

Dwayne Bowe (KC)WR I don't trust Bowe to be completely honest. I don't know him personally so this unfair to say but he seems lazy... maybe i am wrong but I wouldn't pay him if it was my money.

Jared Cook (TEN)TE The one free agent I know we can get and I really want.

Dustin Keller (NYJ)TE He has had some good games against us but does disappear at times during the season but, he is very athletic and a good pass catcher

Fred Davis (WAS)TE Davis is the same thing as Keller

If we don't re-sign one of our own big name free agents.

*If we cant resign Starks the money we save can bring in one of these guys and we move in Odrick to DT. I would not like to break the bank for anyone of these guys though.

Cliff Avril* (DET)DE
Osi Umenyiora* (NYG)DE
Michael Johnson* (CIN)DE
Shaun Phillips* (SD)OLB/DE

*If we don't resign Smith these CB may be available. I think they are all upgrades yet they will be more expensive.

Brent Grimes* (ATL)CB
Quentin Jammer* (SD)CB
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie* (PHI)CB
Aqib Talib* (NE)CB

I don't have the numbers and if I try to figure them out myself they will more than likely be incorrect, but if there is any money left trying to bring one of these FREE safety to pair with Reshad Jones would be great.

Jairus Byrd (BUF)S
Louis Delmas (DET)SJ

The Draft

No matter who we sign or resign our first two picks in the draft must be play-maker WR/TE/CB/S. I think we should go best available from those positions and with the next three we continue trend while also looking into G/DE

These are all prospects that will be in range of where we pick in the draft according to most mock drafts. I don't know to much about these guys so if you do please let me know your thought.

First Round

Johnthan Banks, CB, Mississippi State
Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame
Terrance Williams, WR, Baylor
Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia
Keenan Allen, WR, California
Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee

Second Round A

Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee
DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson
Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State
Matt Elam, S, Florida
Eric Reid, S, LSU
Zach Ertz, TE, Stanford
Jordan Poyer, CB, Oregon State
Cobi Hamilton, WR, Arkansas
T.J. McDonald, S, USC
Stedman Bailey, WR, West Virginia

Second Round B

Barrett Jones, G/C/OT, Alabama
Dallas Thomas, OT/G, Tennessee
Corey Lemonier, DE/OLB, Auburn
Larry Warford, G, Kentucky

Third Round A

Carrington Byndom, CB, Texas
Ryan Swope, WR, Texas A&M
Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State
Sean Porter, DE/OLB, Texas A&M
Bacarri Rambo, S, Georgia

Third Round B
Tyrann Mathieu, CB, LSU
Jordan Reed, TE, Florida
Travis Frederick, G/C, Wisconsin

you think if fins had mike wallace today..you think he would have made a diffrence? the pats will always win the afc east as long as brady and belicheat are there..who ever the fins get it won't matter guys..i hope welker leaves cause the fin

I let all of our free agents walk. It was very apparent to me in that NE game that we need 1.) pass rushers, 2.) wide recievers, 3.) offensive tackle (right side), 4.) linebacker (faster), 5.) tight ends, 6.) corners

Belive it or not I thought the corners played descent...we had a lot of injuries at corner, Brady had ALL DAY to throw, no corner can cover that long. Pass rush is must be upgraded. I go after Umenuria (spell) from NY.

May list would be Resign Starks and Bush.... Spend whatever it takes to get Wallace and Cook and maybe an OT/OG.... Draft Allen ( that WR on the other side of wallance tha can get 70+ catches) and draft a CB and Pass rusher in the second round and another CB and WR in the third and o line and d line help the rest of the way. My head would explode if we really had on offseason like this but since we r the fins and have ireland running things we will probably not get any WRs in FA and draft 2 Oline guys with the first 3 picks.

Back
Top Bottom