Just say no to G. Jennings

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by cane6, Jan 27, 2013.

1. cane6

cane6 Well-Known Member

I don't understand why so many fans are ready to throw huge money at G. Jennings. The packers are smart and locked up Nelson and then drafted Cobb.

Based on production, age and injuries I would not offer Jennings anything over 3yrs at $7mm per with little guaranteed money. He surely will get a better offer elsewhere.

The smarter money is spent on cornerbacks in free agency and then taking two WR's within the first 5 rounds.

for us to be successful we need a true passing offense with several good receivers not a bunch of smurfs and an overpaid aging Greg Jennings.

2. godolphins1985

godolphins1985 WILDCARD

We need a good FA WR and the draft.
    Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Board Express

3. slosh13

slosh13 Scout Team Donator

Say yes to mike Wallace!

4. dolphinbryan

dolphinbryan Well-Known Member

i say yes to jennings wallace or bowe!

5. Godzilla_89

Godzilla_89 Active Member

Perhaps you didn't notice how much having veteran receivers helped the other rookie qbs this year. Jennings gives Tannehill the best chance to succeed because he can stretch the field and be reliable. Jennings knows his age and injuries have decreased his value and so does Miami and the rest of his potential new teams. We make a lot of sense for him and have a comfortable amount of cap room. Coupling Jennings with a young stud Wr is a great situation since Jennings was already in an offense that shared the ball a lot. It's not like he is going to be paid top 5 money IMO.

6. jd13

jd13 Starter

I want Wallace because of his ability to make plays down the field. We need speed. He's also younger than Jennings or Bowe.

7. Crazysimon

Crazysimon Scout Team

I agree. I think at 6-7 million a year I would take him. Otherwise I would go with younger Wallace or bowe.

8. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

depends on what he is asking.

just think back to Philbin and Matt Flynn. They came in, put their big number out there, Ireland/Philbin basically said Matt Flynn is worth this. They walked and the agent tweeted something bad about Ireland and co. Matt Flynn sits on the bench for 10 mil. Who won that standstill in the end? Jeff Ireland and Matt Flynn. Who lost? The sucker who took him. Good thing they covered their butts with Wilson. Got lucky.

Everyone will be talking about nothing but this for the next 2 months, but I got a feeling like we are going draft bigtime. Philbin doesnt want disgruntled or overpaid or too old players that he can bank his future as a HC on.

9. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

Jennings fits the offense and is a high character player. Which is why I think he is a much more likely signing then Wallace or Bowe.

10. JayFin327

JayFin327 Well-Known Member Donator

Sign Jennings and Fred Davis and draft Allen. Offense set.

11. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

We need a proven veteran receiver AND a WR drafted high as well as a playmaking TE. We can ill afford to go into the season with a big lack of talent at WR or TE

12. kvado16

kvado16 A True Fan

Just say no to this post!

13. AFCMiamiEast

AFCMiamiEast A True Fan

That statement doesn't make much sense because Wallace would DEMAND near twice what Jennings would, and you seem like you're all about the money/cap. So from that standpoint/logic the arrow would point up to Jennings.

14. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

Jennings to Miami makes the most sense. Could be the "cheapest" of the 3 big WR FAs, he won't take long learning the system, has great work ethic, good leader, and is the best all around of the 3 WRs. People keep talking about his age like he's a RB or something. WRs can still be playmakers up to around 35 or 36 years age, especially with all the rules benefiting them. 5 more good years from Jennings would be great for him to mentor and mold a WR like Keenan Allen for example to take over being the #1 WR in Miami when Jennings retires. Jennings is the way to go.

15. KnifeOfTheDead

KnifeOfTheDead Starter

Jennings is a character guy that Philbin likes. He'll quickly become a leader in the locker room. He fits the west coast system much better, runs perfect routes, has great hands, and is a clutch player. I think he has a much better chance of getting signed as compared to Wallace, who I still wouldn't mind, or Bowe, who I don't really want at all.

16. Stefins

Stefins Just a Dolphins Fan

It ALL depends on how much money each of these guys want/expect. That includes our guys like Jake and Sean

17. cane6

cane6 Well-Known Member

Everything has to put into perspective. Something kvado16 knows nothing about. Vincent Jackson got 5 yrs $55MM. Jennings has lost a step and is slower and shorter, 6'0'' vs 6'5" than Jackson.

Im not saying that I wouldn't welcome Jennings, but not at a ridiculous number especially since we have such a lack of talent and have so many holes to fill.

its too bad Jackson isn't available now, I'd throw that kinda money at him this offseason. He would be the best of Wallace and Bowe combined.

18. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

Greg Jennings will be a Dolphin.

19. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

We still need speed at WR

20. TebowOfNazareth

TebowOfNazareth Well-Known Member

21. justdev7

justdev7 Rookie

I agree with the OP. I don't want to spend big $ on any free agent WR. None if the 3 are worth what they would want to be paid. I think we a combo of Wheaton and Allen, Hunter, Hopkins or Patton in the draft and move forward.

And no I didn't include Patterson on purpose. If we use the #12 pick on that kid I'd be a bit worried,

22. Fin-O

Fin-O Active Member

Jennings for 5-6M per year is well worth it IMO. I want Wallace but fact is he may cost too much.

23. CalDolFan10x14

CalDolFan10x14 Your QB for the next 10 years. Finheaven VIP Donator

I think there's a very good chance Greg Jennings becomes a Miami Dolphin next season. Sure he's been banged up a bit, but the positives just outweigh the negatives by a long shot. He knows the system, is in the prime of his career still, is definitely a high character guy, and WANTS to be here. What's not to love?

24. cane6

cane6 Well-Known Member

What makes you think he wants to be here? Show me the quote. The only thing that is certain is that he has a crazy @ss sister that will be a distraction and that he wants a fat payday from whichever team shells out the most money.

for the right price, come on down.

25. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Banned Hammered

Wallace is going to take AT LEAST 10-11. I don't think Jennings will cost more than 8.

26. cane6

cane6 Well-Known Member

I'm willing to wager that Wallace signs for 5 years $46M with $22M guaranteed

27. Fin-O

Fin-O Active Member

Sold.

28. CalDolFan10x14

CalDolFan10x14 Your QB for the next 10 years. Finheaven VIP Donator

Technically, Jennings can't say anything since he's under contract. However, we could probably pay him the most money, that's why I believe he'll want to be here...not only that but he's very familiar with the system. That alone makes Jennings worth it and you can't question his talent. If we're going to improve this offense, we're going to have to spend a some money for a top notch receiver. Thankfully, we have a ton of cap space to make it happen. The draft is an option, but there's a lot of uncertainty there as far as finding a number one WR who's going to make an immediate impact.

---------- Post added at 02:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 PM ----------

I think it's going to take a lot more than that to sign Wallace...he'll probably want at least 10 mil.

29. insomnia411

insomnia411 The world is yours

I want Jennings and Wallace. Jennings will come relatively cheap IMO considering how injury prone he has been for two straight years and I think Wallace is worthy of long term #1 WR money. The dude can go for roughly 90, 1200 and 10 year in and year out, and we should be able to afford both, along with Bess giving us a top WR corps for at least 3 years.

30. clutch

clutch Active Member

They can sign both if Hartline leaves.
    It's better value Jennings for 9 mil than Hartline for 6 mil.

But, seriously I'll take Jennings and drafting Patterson and burner like Steddman Baily.

31. clutch

clutch Active Member

BTW, some of you guys are not realistic for signing Jennings at 6 mil... just don't understand market value.

32. cane6

cane6 Well-Known Member

Call me the minority but I'd rather have Hartline at $5-6MM than Jennings at $9MM+.

I just dont get this extreme love affair with Greg Jennings and why so many people are ready to break the bank for him. He's 5'11'' and not a deep threat.

Thats why Wallace is the receiver I'd be willing to pay big money for. They are almost the exact same size but Wallace is younger and way faster.

33. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

Not sure if serious.

34. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

Jennings and Hartline in FA. Allen and another WR in draft. Then Miami is starting to go places with Jennings, Allen, Hartline, Bess, and Matthews. Allen and a CB with 2 of their 1st 5 picks would be ideal.

35. South_Beach

South_Beach Well-Known Member

What about a deal to both Wallace and Bowe?
    OMG!!
    Draft Tyler Eifert and we're a force

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2013
  36. jason_taylor

jason_taylor Pro Bowler

wow !!!!!! very good , very good indeed,esp about having a bunch of smurfs (to short to play deep)