Kendall Langford Conspiracy? / Is he worth keeping?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by NYPhin24, Feb 8, 2012.

1. NYPhin24

NYPhin24 Scout Team

According to the great and powerful Omar,

"I find it a bit interesting that Dolphins DE Kendall Langford led the defensive linemen in quarterback pressures in 2012" (pretty sure it was the 2011 season Omar, considering they only played 1 actual game in 2012) BUT Langford was taken off the field on most passing downs. He was in a contract year, and sacks mean big salary. Yes.....I'm hinting at a conspiracy. Why would you take the guy who leads your team in quarterback pressures off the field regulary on passing downs? Just sayin"

I was thinking to myself yesterday, would the Dolphins really miss Langford if he leaves via FA? I know the 3-4 defense is not about the DL getting sacks and Langford was a "good run stopper", BUT i watch every Dolphin game and the guy just was never an "impact" player that you saw just blow up a play in the backfield, maybe once or twice a season, and im not even talking about sacks, he is just not in the backfield THAT much to warrant a big $ contract

He is actually coming off his worst season statistically with a career low 20 tackles, 15 solo, 0 sacks, 1 FF, 1 PD

Going back to what Omar said, maybe he was taken out on passing downs because thats as far as he can go, "pressuring" the QB, not actually getting to him, again i know 3-4 DE not supposed to be a sack master, but ZERO sacks in 16 games? let alone his career high is 3, Langford is a big slow run stuffer who does not "dominate" his job and IMO is not worth the big $ and hopefully a switch back to a 4-3 or a hybrid defense with more emphasis on a 4-3 scheme is going to be implimented

2. 13Dolfan87

13Dolfan87 Scout Team Donator

He's a solid DE in the 3-4 because he's a good run stuffer. I don't think you can count on him to make impact plays if we do indeed switch to the 4-3. It wouldn't be the worst thing to let him walk.

3. Tunaphish429

Tunaphish429 1st Ballot Hall of Famer Donator

You gotta let him walk..I am sure he will get a decent contract elsewhere because of his experience and cause he is young...

4. insomnia411

insomnia411 The world is yours

Yes he's worth bringing back because then at the very least we can be set at DT in out new 4-3 while now only having needs at DE and OLB.

5. NYFINest

NYFINest Well-Known Member

I'm not big on him either if we switch to 4-3. I remember reading, however, that they are expecting to run some sort of hybrid 3-4 4-3 defense, so i can see Dolphins re-signing him. He's defintely more likely to come back next season than Soliai

6. Zounds

Zounds CPA4LYFE Donator

If Manning doesnt sign with Miami, we will have a lot of cap room. Langford won't command big bucks in FA like many of you think, so I dont see any reason why we wouldn't sign him. He may not want to sign with Miami though since he may be sitting behind Starks and Soliai (who will also sign with Miami) on the bench.

7. NYPhin24

NYPhin24 Scout Team

From what i have read regarding the possible 3-4/4-3 hybrid defense or a full switch to 4-3, that Odrick and Starks ( If Solia leaves) would be the ideal DTs with Wake on one end and FA/Drafted Player filling in the other DE spot

8. foozool13

foozool13 #12 #13 #23 #29 #54 #99 Donator

To get Manning we wont be able to resign Langford or Soliai. But if we get Manning, I really dont care.

9. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

Patriots would kill for a decent 3-4 defensive end of the ability of Langford
    at the right price

10. Sadetripodalso

Sadetripodalso Member

Maybe Omar was playing Madden 2012 and got confused on what season it was.
    If Langford led the D-line in QB pressures while being taken off the field during most passing downs....maybe that's someone we wanna keep and keep in DURING passing downs. When a player does well with limited opportunities, that's a good thing.

11. Show Me Your TDs

Show Me Your TDs My head's on Fire!

Simply put: NO

12. z0eboy

z0eboy Banned Hammered

It's a toss up, he's definately better than Phillip Merling at this point but how much many does he want?? He's more of a situational pass rusher but solid run stopper, unless we keep him as depth he wouldnt warrent a huge contract due to Soliai being more attractive IMO to garner a big contract and a solid start at DT/NT.

13. NYPhin24

NYPhin24 Scout Team

in the Browns 3-4 defense, ROOKIE Left Defensive End Jaabal Sheard almost tripled Langfords tackles, he doubled his solo tackles, had 8.5 sacks, and 5 Forced Fumbles, in his rookie year Sheard had more sacks and FF's than Langford has had in his entire 4 year Dolphin career, Sheard also had 7 "Stuffs" compared to Langfords....1

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/14036/jabaal-sheard

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/11300/kendall-langford

14. Zounds

Zounds CPA4LYFE Donator

I thought Browns played a 4-3 last year

15. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

They did.

16. NYPhin24

NYPhin24 Scout Team

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Which_NFL_teams_run_a_3-4_defense

should known better than Wiki, i will say regardless, for a rookie that is impressive, and like i said 3-4 or 4-3 Langfords 4 year totals barely stack up to any of Sheards impact, i dont care what you play, to have ZERO sacks in 16 games with players like Dansby, Starks, Wake, Burnett around you is just really dissapointing

17. ahmilli

ahmilli Rookie Finheaven VIP

Keep langford!

18. Exuro

Exuro Well-Known Member

Dolphins have a log jam at DE. Langford is good, but Starks is better and I think Odrick has the potential to be the best. Starks and McDaniel are signed through next year, plus Merling is an RFA due to the time he missed in '10. It wouldn't surprise me if they let Langford walk, especially if the team changes to a 4-3.

19. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

I completely agree.

20. MrEd

MrEd Banned Hammered

I agree and thus why I believe Paul Soliai is "much" more essential to re-sign than Langford. We have Langford replaces already on the roster actually. But Soliai is a rare specimen. Re-sign Soliai and bye-bye Langford. :)

21. daniel3

daniel3 Starter

Probably not a conspiracy, but more of a byproduct of the constant subbing that went on in almost every down it seemed.

I would like to keep Langford if possible, given he return at a rate that is friendly to our cap situation and needs. Right now we have 3 DT/DE's on the roster and if we're going into a 4-3 base (I guess Wake moves to DE, so that makes it 4 4-3 lineman total on roster), that really isn't enough. It also gives added flexibility with the draft as we can still take a stud pass rushing DE/LB and move Langford if needed to better both our and his situation.