Kiper has phins taking Cordarrelle Patterson in his first mock draft | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kiper has phins taking Cordarrelle Patterson in his first mock draft

Free agency obviously dictates who the Dolphins draft with their first rd pick. These mock drafts will need an asterisk next to them until just before the actual draft occurs since the Dolphins can easily address the WR issue they have in FA.

Definitely true. FA is going to shape the draft up nicely for us, we could assume.. But I do like the thought of getting Patterson, maybe he falls into the 2nd

What makes the most sense is to take a veteran WCO WR like Jennings and draft a couple of young talented WR's in the draft for him to mentor. They play paired down route trees at first to stretch the field and rotate in as the 3rd and 4th WR's while getting more playing time when Jennings or Hartline are injured. By their 2nd or 3rd season they will be polished enough to take over as the main WR's in a 4 or 5 deep WR corps like Green Bay has. So, silly Armando is wrong ... it's not about getting our WR in FA. It's about getting our veteran mentor WR in FA AND then drafting 2 talented WR's to be mentored.

Yes, I'm fine with Cordarrelle Patterson at 12. In five years time we'll look back and say it was a steal, kinda the way the Giants do with JPP or the 49'ers do with Aldon Smith ... because talent trumps polish, and Patterson is simply more talented than Allen.

Even if we grab a WR in FA, i would love this pick, He is raw, but has the most upside and would add an element of explosion to our O. you want excitement? this kid brings that. His stock will rise and i do see him as the 1st WR taken come april. Give our young QB help for now AND for the future. I would take Patterson and one of the two top TEs in the 2nd if still available. All of our holes will not be filled in one offseason, regardless of the amount of $ or picks we have. Give RT some weapons so that he is ready for a consistant playoff push year in and year out sooner rather than later.

Depends on how he does at the combine and our FA signings...but I would be ok with this pick at 12 all things considered. He's a great talent.

I saw him on video for the first time today and the way he changed direction so smooth and quickly was almost like watching a tall Barry Sanders. Terrific vision and control of his body. Having only one year at FBS level indicates he has a tremendous amount of raw talent.

I wouldn't mind this. I like him for the pick. I also like Dee Milliner, Johnthan Banks, Tank Carridine and Alex Okafor. Or Manti Te'o were he to fall to the pick which it looks like he probably will.

I like Dion Jordan but the only reason I can't endorse him yet is I have a tough time trying to figure out how exactly he fits in the defense that Miami runs. If he has to go in for a position switch that's an automatic ding to your draft stock.

Kipper also has aaron Dobson as a late 1st rounder, watching more of him, I'm very intrigued by him.

Trying to trade back is looking more and more like the best move.

Keep in mind that Kiper is pretty tuned in to the scouts. His big board is tied more to what he's hearing from actual NFL evaluators than most other guys' boards. For example if he's got Aaron Dobson rated that high, he's got a scout or two buzzing in his ear telling him that, I can just about guarantee it.

Goodness gracious does that kid have vision. He kinda freaks me out with the way he runs, and he's very raw, but...wow.

Keep in mind that Kiper is pretty tuned in to the scouts. His big board is tied more to what he's hearing from actual NFL evaluators than most other guys' boards. For example if he's got Aaron Dobson rated that high, he's got a scout or two buzzing in his ear telling him that, I can just about guarantee it.

Aaron Dobson was going to be my sleeper this year...guess not if he might go round one.

I watched the first half of UT's season. I was not entirely convinced he knows that a receiver has hands to catch the football.

I really want to say yeah i am cool with this pick, But he's just sooooo Raw, his route running is suspect at best, his hands from the games i have watched are not very reliable either.
I kinda have the mentality for drafting wr's that you arent just going to make them learn to catch when they get to the NFL no matter how much you practice it's just one of the innate attributes some WR's have. I do believe he has the potential to be phenomenal however I would like us to go with someone a little safer. IMO At the same time if we get him I'm not going to complain

I can't see philbin signing off on a wr who catches with his body.

Jordy Nelson couldn't even get off the bench in gb for awhile because he wasn't catching the ball consistently. So I sure as heck can't see philbin wanting a guy who catches with his body. I think we can safely cross him off.

The whole idea of a WR in the mid-1st is fraught with risk to begin with. Cordarrelle Patterson in the mid-1st probably even more so than normal. He's not for everyone. You have to be a believer.

I happen to think that size/speed/agility stuff is a little bit of a safety net. Not a perfect one by any means. But when you combine it with the kind of pure play making he did in the SEC, along with his hands which I actually think are quite good in almost all situations...spice in his returns value...and actually he might be a relatively safe pick in the way that you know you're going to get SOMETHING out of him, which you can't usually say about any receiver you ever draft.

Sometimes you've got to roll the dice if you want to get better at that position. Everyone's on this "big money free agent isn't the answer" kick. Well, if a big money free agent isn't the answer, and a guy like Cordarrelle Patterson isn't the answer, what the hell is the answer? The only other answer I can come up with is a total shotgun approach wherein we draft two or three guys all relatively high and see which ones pan out, and pray we've beaten the odds.

I wouldn't mind this. I like him for the pick. I also like Dee Milliner, Johnthan Banks, Tank Carridine and Alex Okafor. Or Manti Te'o were he to fall to the pick which it looks like he probably will.

I like Dion Jordan but the only reason I can't endorse him yet is I have a tough time trying to figure out how exactly he fits in the defense that Miami runs. If he has to go in for a position switch that's an automatic ding to your draft stock.
I love Carradine and was hoping he would be Miami's pick in round 2. Do you really think he's a possibility at 12? I figured his late November ACL tear dropped him a round. I has him as a top 15 player pre-injury

Back
Top Bottom