Kiper: Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson could be Dolphins' first-round pick

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Danny68, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Danny68

Danny68 Dolphins on 3! Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

2. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

This kid is raw as hell with mediocre hands. What good is potentially being a speed burning playmaker if he can't catch? Not digging Patterson @ #12. I hope Miliner is there at 12 so Miami can take him instead and get a WR later in the draft.

3. dcnr226

dcnr226 A True Fan Donator

I completely agree. Get a proven WR in free agency (or 2..)...but there is zero chance that Milliner drops to 12. I'd even be in favor of trading up to get him.

4. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

Mel Kiper is a snake and an incompetent one at that. He got stone cold busted when that agent went public on paying off players. As well, for all his reminders about Matt Ryan, he conveniently forgets that he declared Jake Long wouldnt be anything but a right tackle(say what you will about Long and his injuries, he was the best LT in football for awhile). I look forward to blasting Kiper several more times before the draft.

That said, i wouldnt mind an talented but raw wideout like Patterson...:lol: While im not found of the way the Falcons have built their team, they have shown how teams can put up points very quickly with a veteran wideout and a talented youngster. The most impressive thing about the Julio Jones pick is he will give Matt Ryan an explosive receiver for the next decade. We could do alot worse then copying that model this offseason.

5. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

I love Patterson. He is the best receiver in the draft after the catch. In that regard, he is definitely elite. Agree, though, that he is a work in progress but I don't see his hands as an issue. I think he'll just have to work on route running and the other nuances of the position.

6. dcnr226

My personal favorite was how Kiper elevated Blaine Gabbert to a top 10 pick...the guy is a complete sham.

7. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

Remember, according to Mel Kiper, USC WR Mike Williams is a lock for the Hall of Fame

8. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Banned Hammered

Patterson will be the best wide receiver of this class. Julio Jones AJ Green potential.

9. fishfanmiami

fishfanmiami Have you seen junior's grades ? Moderator Finheaven VIP

Makes sense to me. Get a vet and someone to groom for the future.

10. Twitches Brew

Twitches Brew A True Fan

I might dial back those comparisons a little. But his potential is why I think he'll be gone by 12, unfortunately.

11. Smith21

Smith21 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

lets hope Patterson is a FIN even if the Dolphins pick up a receiver in FA and resign Hartline...
    thats how you win, mulitple weapons

12. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

Think about that for a while particularly in this sytem. Gonna take a raw WR who is great in the open field. The problem is you have to work hard at getting open first then catching the ball. Something this kid has not faced alot of. His big plays come from end arounds and kick returns where open field starts from the beggining of the play. College teams with talented WR's do alot of this in college. They do it all day long as a matter of fact.

Syracuse was playin ball with USC on their turf and what did Lane Kiffen do? End arounds all day long. SU couldnt stop it. It works great in college. Not so much in the pros. Everyone is faster and better and on a different level and experience.

13. dolp1972

dolp1972 Well-Known Member

Agree with you Dolph N. Fan, think they can do better drafting defense at 12 and then going for a stud rookie receiver in the second round, if you spend the 6 million on Jennings thats a wash and your only salary cap hit will be signing wallace, Wallace, Jennings and A rookie like the kid from Baylor and you will be loaded at wide receiver.

14. ITS!MATEO

ITS!MATEO A True Fan

The ONLY things this kid needs to work on is precision route running and learning an NFL playbook. That's it.

Lock him up with the 12th pick.

15. Digital

Digital Starter

Gimme some Greg Jennings in FA, Cordarrelle Patterson in round 1, and in round 2 one of Eifert/Ertz/Hunter, and pick up Swope in round 3. Yeah, it's time to rebuild our WR corps and surround Tannehill with Talent.

16. ITS!MATEO

ITS!MATEO A True Fan

I agree. Jennings and C.P. would be big for our offense. Speed and precision in 2 players.

Rt had a great connection with Swope back in college, would be great to see them continue that in the pros.

17. sinPHIN

sinPHIN A True Fan

mediocre hands? he is a hand catcher which is more than i can say about hunter. i agree that he is raw as hell, and 12 is too high, but patterson is made for the wco. fits us perfectly and we all know we need a wr that can make plays and get yac. if we dont take him i wont be upset if we get a miliner or somebody that will contribute day one.

18. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs foos-ball is the devil! Donator

Patterson is a beast with the ball in his hands. He's going to be a very good player.

19. Emanauguste

Emanauguste Active Member

All the young qbs had receivers to throw to the only one who did not was tanny... I dont c how people say that Patterson is raw just because u havnt seen much of him doesn't mean u guys are scouts or that hes raw.... as I recall percy harvin was a walk on at florida and hes very gud and is the second best player on his team... arian foster was not drafted nor was victor cruz... tgey did not have mich tape n they're doing just fine... this kid is so raw but hes done enough to be ranked the number 1 receiver in this draft.. I say get him and teach him... I want someone to tell me a reciever who came in his rookie season who didnt have anything that needed some fixing if we keep doing what we always do and draft safe picks like always we will b the same unexciting dolphins... we get one great offensive player every 10 years smh thats not gna get us in the playoffs... we should lean on brian hartline a guy who cant break a tackle or score a touchdown or 1 receiver like greg Jennings who is not a big guy or a guy who can carry our team alone...we drafted a qb now its time to get him some real buddy's to catch his passes and take it the distance and it starts with Patterson. .

20. finfan54

So its cordarelle or nothing. well, that ends this discussion of who are #1 pick will be.

21. next-year

next-year MostHated

I think people overlook how important solid route running is ad overestimate how difficult it actually is to master. I agree in the point that Patterson Can be an awesome player in the league but idk I think I'd rather go with someone a little more polished at the position. A buddy of mine who played against him in college old me when they watched film on Tennessee everyone on the team got a lot less worried about Patterson after realizing how poor if a job he does at hiding routes, he telegraphs his routes and seems to take plays off.

The other thing tht worries me with Patterson. Has anyone seen him actually go up 1 on 1 for a jump ball? All of these people on here are so quick to compare him to Julio but I haven't seen one clip of Patterson that really showcases the ability to out muscle and out jump a d back. Granted there may be some film out there that I have not gotten to see so if anyone could send me a clip of that please share. Not that is rather have him but Justin hunter displays wayy better ball skills at times than coradarelle.

id like us to trade back if Milner/Moore/Jones/ don't fall to us. Hopefully trade somewhere back to 18-20 spot and choose whoever is left of banks/Allen/Jordan/coradarelle/eifert

round 2 truant/wood/Wheaton/hunter/Hopkins/Rhodes

round 3 bailey/Patton/Rambo/

round 4 swope/Boyce/reed TE

Or the majority of selections after the 4th round I'd wanna dedicate to o/dline/linebacker

this isn't a mock just the skill players I would like to go after in the respective rounds.

I also would be in favor of letting hartline walk is he won't take 4-5 mil a year.

Again if we got mike Wallace and still decided to go we in the first we go Keenan Allen

if we get jenning and go we in the first we take coradarelle

sorry for the sloppiness I'm on my phone

22. SCall13

SCall13 Finheaven QB

We have several needs on both sides of the ball. I'd feel a helluva lot more comfortable using our #12 pick on a more polished player that will likely contribute right away over a player that played one season at the major college level and produced only one 100+ yard game. Look at his performances against the ranked teams. Not exactly awe inspiring. I don't want to draft a WR receiver with potential that also has a case of the drops. Potential means it could go either way. Too many other players we could grab at 12 that would way more likely have an instant impact.

23. sirvmac

sirvmac Well-Known Member

I guess I'm higher on Patterson than most?
    I think he's the next big thing, go get him.
    Him and Hunter will be the 2 best, get them both.

24. WesternNYDolfan

WesternNYDolfan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

25. UCF Nation

UCF Nation Well-Known Member

This is also the guy who laughed at McShay for having Tannehill as a top 10 prospect.

26. russianbear

russianbear FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I agree with most of this. Would love Mike Wallace + Keenan Allen...

27. finfan54

Cordarelle Patterson 12 games 46 rec. 778 yds 5 TD's as a receiver

Terrence Williams 51 202 3,334 16.5 ypc 17 TD

oh yeah, Patterson all the way! no questions asked. sign him up, he is Julio Jones.

28. peakz

peakz Member

I love Patterson but I can't see us taking a WR in the 1st with all the 2-3 round talent.
    He's very raw too, and we need an immediate impact at WR

29. dcnr226

My question regarding Cordarelle Patteron is why didn't he do big things in college? Justin Hunter got most of the hype, and they had an NFL caliber quarterback. His big games came against NC State, Troy, and then Florida, but even against Florida he only had 75 yards and 1 TD.

Some people are comparing him to Julio Jones...Julio Jones was constantly double teamed in college and still nobody could stop him. I don't understand the hype.

30. J Tes

J Tes next generation

You hindsight GM's are funny. You bash a guy for putting his opinion out there on hundreds of draft eligible players every single year and try and claim you're better by bringing up where he has missed. Why don't some of you to attempt to have some foresight and put your opinion out there on even 50 players. I'm talking analyzing these players. Break it down for the rest of us. Tell us exactly what he does well, what he doesn't and project for all of us. Try doing it without going to draft sites and copy and pasting.

Kiper may be arrogant. He comes across as a weasel and has that douchy hair cut but he's good at what he does

31. dcnr226

I think where people take exception with Kiper is when he drools over a guy like Blaine Gabbert...a guy who was not special during the regular season, and all of a sudden bc Kiper puts him as an elite prospect, other draft "experts" follow suit. I watched Blaine Gabbert in college, then at the combine, and now in the NFL. He was mediocre throughout, and an "expert" like Kiper basically got him draft top 15. Add in the story about agents paying him on the side....it's all just very suspect. His opinion carries alot of weight, and he knows it.

32. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

He and about half of the NFL's general managers.

33. ckparrothead

It's a simple fact that a lot of NFL general managers considered Blaine to be the top quarterback in that class. You can pick on Kiper for rating Blaine high when it turns out Blaine was not worthy. Everyone is answerable to their record. But there were a lot of NFL general managers that got that one wrong, and Mike Mayock (who is very well respected in NFL circles) got it wrong too.

Personally I believed Cam Newton to be the best player in that Draft and definitely the best quarterback.

34. dcnr226

I don't know about that. If he didn't pass my eye ball test, i have no clue how other GM's could have been so off. He looks clueless in the NFL. Just my opinion..

---------- Post added at 05:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

I guess you'd know better than me but it still leaves me shaking my head.

35. ckparrothead

It should be noted that Tennessee averaged 10.9 yards every single time they even looked in Cordarrelle Patterson's direction. That's 10.5 yards per TARGET when the ball is thrown his direction, and if you count his run plays (I do, and so do the rest of the NFL front offices) then it's more like 10.9 yards because he absurdly averaged 12 yards per carry on his run plays (to go along with 12 yards per catch on the few screen passes he caught).

That's another thing. People act like this guy hasn't run or caught the ball on any routes. I don't get that. He hardly caught any screen passes. Far and away fewer screen passes than your average receiver in this class. Tennessee substituted end-arounds for the screen game because they felt the end-arounds benefited their ground game more than screens would.

If you REALLY watch his tape you'll see him out there running real routes, creating real separation, and catching footballs on guys like David Amerson of NC State, Darius Slay and Johnthan Banks of Mississippi State, Louschez Purifoy and Jaylen Watkins of Florida, Branden Smith and Sanders Commings of Georgia, Robert Lester of Alabama, Jimmy Legree of South Carolina, E.J. Gaines of Missouri and Andre Hal of Vanderbilt. All of these guys are draftable players. Some more than draftable.

The point someone raised earlier about him giving away his routes is a good one. He lacks refinement there. He's only one year out of JUCO though and that's not abnormal. Speaking of JUCO, his first year off JUCO numbers are either comparable or significantly better than several former JUCO players that went on to successful NFL careers. That list includes Steve Smith (Carolina), T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Chad Johnson, Isaac Bruce and Stevie Johnson. The only JUCO WR who went on to be very successful in the NFL and also significantly outproduced Patterson in their first years out of JUCO was Keyshawn Johnson.

---------- Post added at 05:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:06 PM ----------

I'm not taking anything away from you or anyone for correctly predicting that one. It's just a simple fact that many were fooled.

36. Phins89

Phins89 Well-Known Member

Ya...and Geno Smith COULD be our pick also. We are pretty sure to get one of the top 3 FA WR (Jennings) and that means we aren't taking a WR in the first round. KIPER BLOWS.

37. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

I have to agree with other. I don't see us going WR at 12

Ozzy rules!!

38. PolitePolite

PolitePolite Well-Known Member

Actually, if Patterson played the same amount of games at the same level, his stats would be basically just as good.

39. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

Difference is, Kiper refuses to be held accountable. When even questioned he immediately begins pointing the finger and yelling back. Hes a whinny little girl who cant stand to be put under the microscope. Ive seen it happen many times over, including my personal favorite: the agent report. Instead of addressing that report head on he immediately began insulting the author of it.

He jealously guards his "reputation" and is more worried about looking like an expert than being an expert. Screw him.

40. ITS!MATEO

ITS!MATEO A True Fan

He pretty much destroyed those 2 possible first round corners in his FIRST 6 games playing in the FBS. Going up against Amerson, being his first ever game with the Vols :lol:

I mean come on....