Knowing what you knownow, Matt Ryan or Jake Long? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Knowing what you knownow, Matt Ryan or Jake Long?

I didn't think too much of Ryan at BC (in the few games i saw). Surprised he did so well. I still wouldn't trade the Long pick for him though. If we could've traded down and got Clady and another real good player, that would be worth considering.

I didn't think too much of Ryan at BC (in the few games i saw). Surprised he did so well. I still wouldn't trade the Long pick for him though. If we could've traded down and got Clady and another real good player, that would be worth considering.

There have have been many one year wonders. I look forward to seeing him against JP and JT, etc.

This thread's built on a faulty supposition. Beyond the overcredited hype, sure Ryan had an impressive first year but to already anoint him a "franchise QB" alternative to Long on the basis of a rookie year with a stud RB and WR is jumping the gun. That's like calling Doug Williams or Trent Dilfer "quintessential SB winning QBs" immediately after the Skins and Ravens victories. Time will tell whether his rookie year was an anomaly or representative. So at this point I'm reasonably dismissing the premise that instead of Jake we could have had a long-term franchise QB. Of course a year from now I might be singing a different tune.

This thread's built on a faulty supposition. Beyond the overcredited hype, sure Ryan had an impressive first year but to already anoint him a "franchise QB" alternative to Long on the basis of a rookie year with a stud RB and WR is jumping the gun. That's like calling Doug Williams or Trent Dilfer "quintessential SB winning QBs" immediately after the Skins and Ravens victories. Time will tell whether his rookie year was an anomaly or representative. So at this point I'm reasonably dismissing the premise that instead of Jake we could have had a long-term franchise QB. Of course a year from now I might be singing a different tune.

Exactly, one good year does not make you a franchise QB....wait and see.

By the way, had to laugh at that sig....not that it's anything different what from what he normally wears. :lol:

Just as faulty to assume Long is a franchise player with that same logic.
I think they both proved they are franchise type players already becase neither had a great team around them.

Just as faulty to assume Long is a franchise player with that same logic.
I think they both proved they are franchise type players already becase neither had a great team around them.

Compare the type of year Ryan had to most of the other QBs, then Compare the type if year Long had compared to other LTs, and finally compare how many key players there were around most of the year to help either one.

You will see that Long did have more of a special year then Ryan, and if not for playing in a position that gets little recognition he also would have won rookie of the year.

Compare the type of year Ryan had to most of the other QBs, then Compare the type if year Long had compared to other LTs, and finally compare how many key players there were around most of the year to help either one.

You will see that Long did have more of a special year then Ryan, and if not for playing in a position that gets little recognition he also would have won rookie of the year.

I dont see your logic. QB is a much harder position to play as a rookie than any other position. You have to compare Ryan to his position compared to Long at his position. Ryan's rookie year is probably only eclisped by Marino's and Marino had much superior team around him. Funny how so many on this board blasted Atlanta for taking Ryan saying that he would get killed with thier poor oline ad now people act like he had a playoff ready team around him. Not one person thinks any other rookie qb was better than Ryan while there are plenty of people that think Clady may be better than Long.

Ryan deserved the rookie of the year, more often than not rookies struggle and what Ryan did was amazing for a rookie Qb. In the history of the NFL the percentage of rookie qb's even doing ok as a rookie is rare and he excelled.

Matt Ryan's job is a helluva lot harder than Jake Long's job....

The quarterback has to read the defense..... beat the pass rush....read the coverages....go through his progressions....know where his receivers are..... know where the linebackers are and what they're doing.....know where the DB's are and what they're doing.... know what type of technique they're using..... look the safety off.... be aware of where all his receivers are....and deliver a precise strike on top of all that on any given pass play...

Basically, the left tackle only has to beat his guy on a given play....the quarterback has to beat 11....every time....

It's why the quarterback position always has been and always will be the most important position in sports....

Atlanta's oline is not as good as some want to believe. Going into last season it was considered probably worse than ours

They ran the ball pretty well, which can be a life saver for a rookie QB. I don't think we could run the ball like Atlanta did last year. We leaned on Pennington a lot and I don't think that is something you can do with a rookie QB and be successful, at least not in most cases.

I think its pretty much a given that the QB position is more valuable than left tackle.

They ran the ball pretty well, which can be a life saver for a rookie QB. I don't think we could run the ball like Atlanta did last year. We leaned on Pennington a lot and I don't think that is something you can do with a rookie QB and be successful, at least not in most cases.

Ryan only threw 40 less passes than Pennington. Many a rookie has had a team that can run around him and still fail. People want to act like Ryan went to some supremely talented team and nothing could be farther from the truth.
The only proven offensive player he had was White but Leinhart had much superior weapons and has never played to his level.

I have no problem with taking Long over Ryan and I always agreed it was a safer pick although drafting another qb this year gives me some reservations about our qb position. This board for the most part lambasted how stupid it was to draft Ryan when he would get killed as a rookie and he just wasnt that good. Well he appears to be just that good and at this point its just as absurd to call Long a one year wonder as it is to call Ryan.
Historically there are very few rookie qb's that have played as well as Ryan did last season and people can make any excuse they want to why he did well but other qb's with much more talent have did much less as rookies.

Overall you will not get very objective answers overall on a dolphin board. Its like asking who is better Desean Jackson or ted Ginn. Im not sure the majority would even agree that James Harrison is a superior linebacker to Joey Porter.

Great post and I totally agree. Your signature is a freakn riot......

Back
Top Bottom