KUBIAK OC in 2018??? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

KUBIAK OC in 2018???

DolfinJohnNY

Active Roster
Reaction score
After reading thru various posts someone mentioned KUBIAK "retired" last year as the HC of the Donkeys due to burn-out, stress or needing to spend more time with family. All good reasons.

Just got me thinking MAYBE he'd like to get back to work but not as Head Coach.

He just might be the veteran Asst. Coach that GASE clearly needs on BOTH offense & defense. Not sure who that defensive coordinator could be? FOX, BOWLES, ???

KUBIAK would at least have GASE's confidence. This would allow GASE freedom to be the damn HC & concentrate on those duties.

I can't think of ANYONE GASE would let take over his offense, other than KUBIAK.

Purely wishful thinking on my part? Or is it?

We run Adam Gase's offense. He brought in an OC who helps him run meetings, gives him feedback, and helps him run the show. He wouldn't bring in an offensive coordinator to completely overhaul his offense and run it for him.

100% wishful thinking on your part.

We actually had a good opportunity to hire Kubiak back in 2014 when we picked up Lazor, but Kubiak instead went to the Ravens for a season. There's a connection between Mike Sherman and Gary Kubiak, and the scuttlebutt was that Kubiak could have been persuaded to take the job here, but Philbin wasn't even interested. As I recall, we didn't even ask him to interview. My own theory on that is that Joe didn't want a more accomplished guy with head coaching experience at a coordinator position after things started to sour with ownership.

Idk there might be bad blood. Kubiak got the job Gase wanted and that's part of why he felt wronged by Elway. Elway blocked him from leaving but then didn't make him head coach. Kinda messed up

But kubiak is never coming back to football imo

We run Adam Gase's offense. He brought in an OC who helps him run meetings, gives him feedback, and helps him run the show. He wouldn't bring in an offensive coordinator to completely overhaul his offense and run it for him.

100% wishful thinking on your part.

We actually had a good opportunity to hire Kubiak back in 2014 when we picked up Lazor, but Kubiak instead went to the Ravens for a season. There's a connection between Mike Sherman and Gary Kubiak, and the scuttlebutt was that Kubiak could have been persuaded to take the job here, but Philbin wasn't even interested. As I recall, we didn't even ask him to interview. My own theory on that is that Joe didn't want a more accomplished guy with head coaching experience at a coordinator position after things started to sour with ownership.
Isn't GASE's offense a by product of the KUBIAK offense that they ran when GASE was with the Donkeys? So would it be that much different?

Idk there might be bad blood. Kubiak got the job Gase wanted and that's part of why he felt wronged by Elway. Elway blocked him from leaving but then didn't make him head coach. Kinda messed up

But kubiak is never coming back to football imo
I hope he comes back with us. Why don't you think he'd "get the itch"? I remember him having those health (heart) issues but with proper medication... He's been an NFL lifer up until this point in time.

Dont see Gase giving up play calling...especially when Im sure he thinks that his schemes and plays would be fine if he had his guy, Tannehill, running them...

Isn't GASE's offense a by product of the KUBIAK offense that they ran when GASE was with the Donkeys? So would it be that much different?

No, not at all. The Shanahan/Kubiak system was used in Denver... when Shanahan and Kubiak were there. After Shanahan was fired and replaced by McDaniels (and then subsequently John Fox), everything changed.

Adam Gase has no connection there. In fact, Kubiak is still involved in the Broncos organization and that probably precludes any possibility of him being hired here.

Anyway, many of us have commented for years that Ryan Tannehill would have been the perfect quarterback for Mike Shanahan or Gary Kubiak. Strong arm, good wheels, great at throwing on the run, and he's played lights out when he's in a balanced offense under center with a lot of play action boot looks. Would have been the perfect marriage.

Dont see Gase giving up play calling...especially when Im sure he thinks that his schemes and plays would be fine if he had his guy, Tannehill, running them...
Oh you're probably right, I'm just "wishful thinking" here. I just think that with KUBIAK as OC, GASE could still have his hand in the cookie jar while also being able to concentrate on all aspects of the team.

I'm also assuming that GASE & KUBIAK have mutual respect for the other.

Gase has already said so- ‘he will not give up play calling’ so we can forget about bringing in some accomplished OC. The DC and rest of the staff, well that might be under consideration.

No, not at all. The Shanahan/Kubiak system was used in Denver... when Shanahan and Kubiak were there. After Shanahan was fired and replaced by McDaniels (and then subsequently John Fox), everything changed.

Adam Gase has no connection there. In fact, Kubiak is still involved in the Broncos organization and that probably precludes any possibility of him being hired here.

Anyway, many of us have commented for years that Ryan Tannehill would have been the perfect quarterback for Mike Shanahan or Gary Kubiak. Strong arm, good wheels, great at throwing on the run, and he's played lights out when he's in a balanced offense under center with a lot of play action boot looks. Would have been the perfect marriage.
Boy, my mind is shot! I thought GASE & KUBIAK were in Denver together. My bad. I still think it would be a good idea for our PHINS though. Plus a veteran DC.

If you want to pipe dream about adding an experienced coordinator to the staff in 2018, Vic Fangio could be available, and apparently is great friends with Gase.

There is also the possibility of adding John Fox to the staff in some capacity, which I would fully endorse. Foxy is an underappreciated coach.

If you want to pipe dream about adding an experienced coordinator to the staff in 2018, Vic Fangio could be available, and apparently is great friends with Gase.

There is also the possibility of adding John Fox to the staff in some capacity, which I would fully endorse. Foxy is an underappreciated coach.
I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE either one. If we continue with what we've seen so far, do you think there is any real possibility about adding either one of those guys? Fingers crossed.

I'm happy with Gase but I wanted Shanahan at the time. I think Tannehill was borderline prototype for his offense...

We run Gase's O and for good reason. Or at least we will when we have players capable of reading a playbook

And Kubiak is retired and has health problems. If you want a big staff hire focus on Fangio

Back
Top Bottom