kubiak still wants to be HC!!!

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by jimlerario, Jan 14, 2014.

1. jimlerario

jimlerario Well-Known Member

he interviewed for the lions head coaching job. he isn't going to get the chance this year, but if we hire him and we improve, he will for sure have more interviews for a head coaching job, and if he leaves after one year its going to be detrimental to find yet another OC. I know McAdoo got a head coaching interview for the browns, but he is less likely to leave after one year.

2. SkapePhin

SkapePhin Rump Shaker Finheaven VIP Donator

I think Kubiak will be better for Tannehill's development. He made guys like Schaub look good at one point.

I don't mind if he leaves after a year if it means Tannehill showed marked improvement.

On a side note, I can't believe he Lions hired Caldwell. What an awful hire.

3. futurescout

futurescout Well-Known Member

Kubiak isn't even a candidate for Minnesota or Cleveland. He will not get hired as a HC this year. If he does so good as our OC next year that he is a head coaching candidate.. how is that a bad thing? The worst it does is make the job THAT more attractive.. Even so, with his health problems the league may view him as only a OC..

4. futurescout

futurescout Well-Known Member

Kubiak got Brian Griese, Jake Plummer, and Matt Schaub to the pro-bowl. He would be such a great hire as OC.. and as for Caldwel.. talk about a talented team.. on paper they are a good WR and CB away from being a super bowl contender.. But they need Stafford to be more consistent and improve his fundamentals. But mainly they need to cut down on turnovers and penalties. Many games this year they beat themselves. They need a coach to instill some discipline. I don't think I've ever heard Caldwell speak.... or even blink..

5. JFoxx

JFoxx Seasoned Veteran

Cleveland would be the only job he likely even get a sniff at HC this year. Fired HC's just don't often get a HC job right off the firing. Reid was the extreme exception not the rule on this. Kubiak will need to decide if he's willing to go to a troubled franchise now or wait a year or two and get another chance at somewhere once he proves himself again. We will for sure lose him in 1-2 years for sure either way. If he's successful, he'll get a HC job elsewhere. If he stinks, he and Philbin both will be looking for a job by this time next year. So I don't see where that really holds us back from considering him.

6. Zounds

Zounds CPA4LYFE Donator

And got beat out by unspectacular Jim Caldwell, which means its time for Kubiak to accept his fate as an OC.

7. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

Gary Kubiak is an absolute slam dunk hire at OC and it's mind boggling to me that you are concerned that he will leave after a year to take a head coaching job.

1. The 'new system' thing is overblown. His system shares MANY similarities with Mike Sherman in terms of terminology and concepts. Same core 'system,' but with different emphasis (more run, more play action, more boots, more misdirection, more crossers) and play selection.
    2. If he takes a head coaching job next year it's because the Dolphins offense improved dramatically in 2014. That's not really a problem.

8. Gonzo

Gonzo Widerstand Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

If we hire anybody and they turn this offense around, they will be HC candidates. Sounds like a good problem to have.

9. WVDolphan

WVDolphan Banned Hammered

So essentially youre comparing Tannehill to Schaub and suggesting he needs a great OC to make him look good.

And this is the guy you all want to be our QB? Personally, Id like to have a QB that makes all of his OC's look like geniuses and lands them HC gigs as a result.

10. HarryBagpipe

HarryBagpipe Archibald Meatpants Super Donator

exactly. The alternative is getting a mediocre to lousy OC who has no shot at getting a head coaching gig in the future. I think i know which one id rather roll the dice on

and give me back my damn badge :D

11. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

Would be sweet if we could hire McAdoo and Kubiac. McAdoo as our short term QB coach, long term OC and Kubiac as our short term OC (assuming he moves on to a HC job in a year or two). Shell out the benjamins to make it happen Mr. Ross.

12. SkapePhin

SkapePhin Rump Shaker Finheaven VIP Donator

There are currently 4 guys in the entire NFL that fit that criteria: Peyton, Brady, Rodgers and Brees.

Would those same guys have fit that criteria in Year 2? Nope! Possibly Manning, but he still had his share of problems still after Year 2. Brees was considered bust material after Year 2, so much so that they drafted a QB to replace him.

I think Tannehill has a higher ceiling than Schaub, and a guy like Kubiak would bring that out.

13. Bumpus

Bumpus Are you gonna drink that? Administrator Finheaven VIP

Give him a little time. He's improving.

14. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero Donator

And he didnt get it. They hired Jim Caldwell.

15. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

Playoffs?! PLAYOFFS!?!?!

even manning was getting coaches fired in year 2...

[video=youtube;U7fjDS0jKiE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7fjDS0jKiE[/video]

16. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

A better point I've kept trying to bring up is that Kubiak got significantly better production out of everybody he's ever coached on offense. Including John freaking Elway.

Elway threw for over 20 tds 6 times in 16 years. He threw for 22, 22, 25, 26, 26 and 27 tds in various years. Numbers in bold were the four years his offensive coordinator was Gary Kubiak. When he was 35-38 years old. Elway posted four of the five best passer rating numbers of his career (1995-1998). When his offensive coordinator was Gary Kubiak.

It's not about finding an OC who can make the QB look good. It's about finding the OC who will get the most out of the quarterback he's working with, regardless of whether that QB is a Hall of Famer (Elway) or a flat out scrub (Plummer).

17. Gonzo

Gonzo Widerstand Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

Done! :hi5:

18. 3rdandinches

3rdandinches Seasoned Veteran

Funny thing though, Brees didn't do so well without his Coach for a year. Yes the stats were there but finishing 7-9 squeezed between 13-3 and 11-5.

I think Kubiac would make a great hire. His bootleg calls alone would make RT look 10x's better - actually using our QB's strength's!

19. Despacio

Despacio Pro Bowler

Whisenhunt got the Chargers to the divisional round, if Kubiak can help like that, bring him in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. FearTheBeard

FearTheBeard FearTheBurke

Or we can promote him to replace Philbin.....

21. Finsfan1984

Finsfan1984 Seasoned Veteran

Well, you can WISH for that QB in one hand and CRAP in the other one and see which one fills up faster!! The point is if you get a chance to MAXIMIZE your talent with supperb caching, then you do so.

22. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 A True Fan

The Miami job is near perfect for Kubiak. If he does his job and the Dolphins improve there will be head coaching offers next season. If he does his job, but the team struggles as a whole Philbin could be fired and Kubiak would be the first in line in house candidate. The only way it goes bad for Kubiak is if he comes in and does a horrible job as an OC.