La Canfora is now saying that we will use the franchise tag on Long or Smith

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by chrispepper, Feb 15, 2013.

1. chrispepper

chrispepper Well-Known Member

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/21702059/franchise-guys-if-anybody-is-worth-a-tag-its-joe-flacco

Ugh this sounds like complete speculation and I'm really starting to lose respect for La Canfora, figured I'd post it anwyay...

Whether the tag is put on cornerback Sean Smith or left tackle Jake Long, it would be ridiculous for the Dolphins not to use it at all. They're already looking at losing free agent running back Reggie Bush and impactful defensive lineman Randy Starks. Would they really risk losing all four of these players for nothing but compensatory picks?
    Long's slumping play and injury woes give pause, but to have a top corner and tackle in their mid-20s both hit the market in the same year is unheard of in the salary-cap era. Says here someone gets tagged.

2. SunsPhinsfan03

SunsPhinsfan03 A True Fan

I'd rather use it on Jake, but kind of don't want to use it on either.

3. damanref10

damanref10 Little Lebowski Urban Achiever

It seems to me like he is just voicing his opinion that it would make no sense for the dolphins not to use the tag and that long and smith are the two likely destinations... not sure what's wrong with it.

4. Djavelin

Djavelin Head Dolphin In This Pod Donator

Dont use it. But if they do it would be Long.

5. chrispepper

chrispepper Well-Known Member

It's when he starts turning his opinions into actual facts. For instance, I got 5 messages on my twitter timeline about how the Dolphins are now all of a sudden going to franchise either long or smith. I just dont think speculation really contributes anything.

6. Jimi

Jimi The World Is Yours

Theres absolutely no reason not to use it. We can do this, still get some top free agents and sign all our draft picks. We have so much cap room, its not the time to be safe. We need to take some risks, and hold on to the talent we have.

7. Andyman

Andyman Canadian Fin Fan

How can you say there's absolutely no reason not to do it, when in Long's case it would eat about one third of their cap space this offseason? That tag could prevent Miami from signing two front line starters. It's not like they have $100 million in space.

8. damanref10

damanref10 Little Lebowski Urban Achiever

fair enough.. are they tweets (goddamn that sounds pathetic) from la canfora? or other people misinterpreting?

9. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

It does sound like speculation on his part, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do tag one of them. It would be a lot of money for one season but it would also eliminate a potential hole and still leave the team with around $30-35 million in cap space. The talk during January and February of 2011 was that the Dolphins would not use the tag on Paul Soliai, yet that is exactly what they did. They paid him $15 million for that one season but in the long run it worked out since he got a multi-year deal at a reasonable $6 million a season.

I think Smith is probably more likely to get the tag than Long, just because the cap number is around $5 million less. We shall see, but I wouldn't be surprised if they used the tag.

10. Valandui

Valandui Lumberjack Batman Donator

Either one would use over a quarter of "all that cap space".

11. Nublar7

Very true which is why this will be a very tough decision for the team to make. Tagging Long will eliminate around $15 million in cap space while tagging Smith would be around $11 million. That is a very big one year contract for these guys, but you have to consider the market and potential to fill those holes. The tackle free agent market has many more options than the cornerback free agent market so I wouldn't be shocked if Miami tags Smith. That would take our cap room from around $43 million to around $32 million. Figured in around $7-8 million for draft picks and they would enter free agency with around $24 million to spend on free agents, and that would include potential re-signs such as Hartline, Starks, Clemons and Bush. Tagging one of those players would still allow plenty of room to take a run at Wallace or Jennings, but they will probably be only able to add one A list free agent.

12. AquaInferno

AquaInferno Pro Bowler Donator

Given Long's and Smith's performances over the last couple of seasons you don't belive that tagging either one of them is a good idea do you? I sure as hell don't. I wasn't an advocate of paying more for bad perfomance ala Tony Sparano. Paul Soliai AT THE VERY LEAST played his *** off in his contract year. Can you say the same for Long and Smith?

13. number1fin

number1fin #onephin Donator

If that week 9 pivotal matchup vs. the Colts taught me anything, it was that Jake Long and Sean Smith are apart of the problem.

Long is sadly washed up and is now playing out of scheme. Smith, well, he simply just needs to be washed out. Neither stepped up when we needed them most! In fact, both stepped down (literally) and without a shadow of a doubt were exposed in that game and showed how neither would ever be a true difference maker for Miami.

It would be truly foolish to tag either or just for the sake of it. That would be, IMO, the definition of insanity! Doing the same thing over and over (putting an emphasis on retaining scrubs) again and expecting different results.

It's time to abandon that philosophy, for goodness sake!

14. Nublar7

I think I would consider tagging Smith just because the pickings might be slim in free agency. I am not saying it is a great idea, I wouldn't even say I am in favor of it. I understand how they are contemplating doing it.

Jake Long is probably less likely to get the tag because it is a bigger cap hit and there are some other qaulity options on the market.

15. ryan0398

ryan0398 Active Member

Ask yourself this, would any other team pay S.Smith top money at his position? This is a guy that makes very few impactful plays. I would throw up in my mouth if they used the tag on him. Time to stop over valueing our players. I'd let him walk, in my opinion, it isn't that big of hole to fill.

16. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero Donator

They both suck, but if we MUST tag one of them, Smith is the one to tag as he is by far the better of the two, which isnt saying much..

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 PM ----------

On the flip side of the coin, Long is just as bad at his position as Smith iis at his. Ultimately neither deserve top money. If we have to tag someone, either Starks or Reggie are the ones.

17. Wildbill3

Wildbill3 Misery Loves Company Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

sorry I don't buy it. both those guys together should only eat 15m of our cap space, if we resign them. no need to franchise either, and if we lose them, so what, there are other viable players out there who can come in and do as well as smith and long for cheaper. Its not like we've made the playoffs with either player, and losing one or both is not going to make or break our team.

18. gregp65

gregp65 Central Illinois

I believe if Philbin has a say they will do neither and build this team through the draft. The exception to this is I think they will make a strong run for Mike Wallace.

---------- Post added at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:54 PM ----------

I would rather see the tag on Starks than anyone.

19. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

Tag Smith if you tag anyone.

20. pafins13

pafins13 Rookie

If we use the tag on Sean smith that's 5 million for every good game he's had this year!

21. So Be

So Be A True Fan

I would only tag either with the intent of trading them to get something back. I believe that Smith will draw much more interest than Long, and "might" be able to get a 2md or 3rd rounder for him.

22. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

No Dolphins FA deserves to be tagged.

23. kvado16

kvado16 A True Fan

Whats with people and throwing the words such as "top", and "good' around with Sean Smith's name, is there something I'm missing?

24. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

LaConfora has been steadfast all year that one of the two get tagged.

25. ITS!MATEO

ITS!MATEO A True Fan

If we franchise an average player like Sean Smith or on a often injured Long i'd be pretty surprised.

They need to do business like the Pats do. No big pay outs for starters. You stay and play for starter pay on a championship caliber team or go get your big pay out and watch the playoffs from home every year.

26. PhinMagic

PhinMagic Banned Hammered

Top corner?!?! This clown must be doing lines of coke as we speak

27. TheWalrus

TheWalrus 1/7/14 Finheaven VIP

Who's he talking about? 'Cause that doesn't describe either Long or Smith, sadly.

28. dolfin530

dolfin530 Student of the Game

29. Muad'Dib

Muad'Dib Member

If the Fins use the Tag on Long

Then they deserve what they get. By over spending on a guy whose skill set has diminished while his perpesity to be injured has increased. Even Shawn Smith do you want to pay him that much? I like him but he's not elite.

30. SkapePhin

SkapePhin Rump Shaker Finheaven VIP Donator

I would consider tagging Long but not Smith. The only reason I would tag Long is so that we can revisit the tackle situation next year and not blow a high draft pick on another lineman.

31. Cowboynemo

Cowboynemo Well-Known Member

32. Aqua and Orange

Aqua and Orange Poster With A Porpoise Finheaven VIP Donator

Can everyone remember this thread when NEITHER of these people get tagged?

La Confora is a complete BS artist who just makes stuff up. Ignore when you see his name.

33. steviey013

steviey013 A True Fan

Sean Smith is all talk and no production...know what I'm sayin?

34. Anvil35

Anvil35 Leave Users Titles Alone!! Finheaven VIP Donator

What are the parameters for compensatory picks?

35. Dr. Phin

Dr. Phin Scout Team

Of course we will franchise one of the...Ireland is stupid enough to do it!

36. jason_taylor

jason_taylor Pro Bowler

How can you say there's absolutely no reason not to do it, when in Long's case it would eat about one third of their cap space this offseason? That tag could prevent Miami from signing two front line starters. It's not like they have $100 million in space.

imho Long would take about 15 mil of our cap space , heck if i was going to spend that kind of money on an injured LT then why not take that same 15 mil and grab one of the top FA LTs thats going to be hitting the market , atleast we will know that they are in better health and maybe play the whole 16 games instead of gettin a Monster contract and Ride the bench all year ,,theres a right way to risk big money then theres the crazy way of risking it.

37. joenhre

joenhre Starter Donator

What's the point of tagging either of them and overpaying? It's just a dumb idea. Offer each of them what you believe they are worth and if someone offers them more than oh well. There are other options out there in free agency plus the draft. Severely overpaying for guys and wasting cap space that could go to other needed positions is just stupid and would show a bit of laziness on the part of the Dolphins front office. Like I said there are plenty of other options at Corner and Offensive Tackle in free agency and the draft.

38. Birdmond

Birdmond FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I understand franchising Smith. I don't like it, but I understand it. It's a supply and demand thing. Milner is the best corner in the draft? He's okay but he's not a game changer. On the other hand, the draft if LOADED with OT's and free agency has some as well. That being said, franchising long would be a poor decision and cannot be justified/

39. TealAttack13

TealAttack13 A True Fan

If we were to use the tag, I'd use it on Long.

40. jason_taylor

jason_taylor Pro Bowler

im sorry but I JUST CANT SEE NOWAY LONG IS WORTH 15.MIL + theres just to many more options out there than that , i would Rather give Clady 9 mil than to over pay long to ride the bench and as for smith theres alot of FA CBs that are as good if not better than Smith, that we can sign for less than what smith is askin , most of them may only be stop gaps but we need to make the best moves as of what we have than to jump in w
    ith both feet and over pay for Smith or any other player , so imo if we can only find Smiths replacement that will only have a couple years left , than so be it , i say if they are better than smith and cheaper ,i dont care if they are older as long as they can produce and not break the bank to sign them , all im sayin is go get the best player at the possion no matter how old they are as long as they can still play at a high level and we dont have to break the bank on them.